It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 11-06-17, 10:28 AM   #2561
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
England under the posts at the death.

38-34
I was out last night so recorded it and started watching about mid-night. Having had a few scoops I resigned myself to falling asleep. Blimey, there were no worries on that level; what a game. The two young props in particular were sensational.

In fairness the Argies didn't deserve to lose and they are now fun to watch - nothing like they used to be when it was forwards forwards forwards. Shows what exposure to the Super rugby circuit can do.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 11:27 AM   #2562
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 01:53 PM   #2563
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
I was out last night so recorded it and started watching about mid-night. Having had a few scoops I resigned myself to falling asleep. Blimey, there were no worries on that level; what a game. The two young props in particular were sensational.

In fairness the Argies didn't deserve to lose and they are now fun to watch - nothing like they used to be when it was forwards forwards forwards. Shows what exposure to the Super rugby circuit can do.
Why did they go for the drop goal when they had a pen coming and only 4 mins on the clock..?
Old 11-06-17, 09:31 PM   #2564
Cormack74
Shankly

That was a weird one - it was like they suddenly reverted to the team they used to be when they would have won comfortably if they had taken a bit of time out of the game.

Pleased they did though
Old 12-06-17, 06:17 PM   #2565
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Next Lions team to play the crusaders.

Lions: Payne; Nowell; Joseph, Henshaw; Seymour; Biggar, Webb; Marler, Best, Sinckler; Lawes, Henderson; Haskell, Warburton (captain), Stander.

Replacements: Owens, McGrath, Cole, Jones, Tipuric, Laidlaw, Farrell, Daly.

Might need to try and find a way to score a couple of trys?
Old 12-06-17, 10:59 PM   #2566
Cormack74
Shankly

I reckon Nowell will grab a couple. He has a truly shit game every now and then before looking like a world beater for the next 10.

He had the shit one last week so hopefully it's out of the way for the rest of the tour.
Old 13-06-17, 06:30 AM   #2567
Irishnev
Shankly

Sorry Buzzo - your only test chance gone! I wonder will Mike Brown get the call
Old 13-06-17, 09:09 AM   #2568
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Gutted for him.

He was so delighted to have the opportunity.

C'mon Tommy, score some try's and you've a chance...!
Old 13-06-17, 09:36 AM   #2569
RichC
Meh

Seymour has been bloody woeful this first half. We've missed too many tackles so far today as well allowing them to break the game line way too often.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-17, 09:39 AM   #2570
RichC
Meh

Good on Seymour!! He was poor first half but that was a great try
Old 13-06-17, 09:41 AM   #2571
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Should have had one in the first half too.
Old 13-06-17, 09:45 AM   #2572
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The Highlanders 10 was trying that cross field kick an insane amount of times.
Old 13-06-17, 10:16 AM   #2573
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Farrell comes on and instantly wants to takes a pen with his first kick and misses. He should have left it to Laidaw.

Costly. The Highlanders get a pen, and take the lead.
Old 13-06-17, 11:27 AM   #2574
RichC
Meh

Farrells kicking has been a little patchy so far and still have him starting at 10 with Joseph and maybe Tao in the central spots
Old 13-06-17, 11:43 AM   #2575
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

His kicking has been a bit dodgy, though warmed up he would surely have slotted it? Going on to take a huge kick like that cold was a massive call, a bit arrogant and ultimately a mistake.

Laidlaw would definitely have kicked it I think he has the highest GK average in International Rugby. I think in either scenario (the kick going over) then between Laidlaw and Farrell they would have seen the game out. The miss gave the Highlanders impetus.

The halfback and centre combinations are really tricky ones. I think Gatland will play Davies (Welsh). I am starting to think he may play Murray and Farrell and 9 and 10 with JJ or T'eo at 12 and Davies at 13.

I have a feeling he will play Willams and North on the wings, I think Williams is in good form, but North is touring on reputation. The worst position on a Gatland team is on the wing though, with the centres instructed to crash through the middle getting any ball or consistent ball is pretty unlikely. Halfpenny is amazingly a shoe in for Full Back now.

Much as I love Laidlaw, he is clearly the third choice Scrum Half, and I cant see Tommy Seymour getting in the team. His position is so reliant on pre-set moves and structure and I don't think Gatlands style suits him. He is a finisher though. Naholo who he was up against was a beast.

It was a much more enjoyable game for the purist today, which probably isnt what the Lions want.

I dunno though, keeping the game exciting and open would be nice to see.
Old 13-06-17, 11:15 PM   #2576
Cormack74
Shankly

Agree, Laidlaw should definitely have taken that one.

On the backs I think that's pretty much correct, albeit JJ won't play at 12 - I can't recall him ever playing there, besides which T'eo has looked good in all his outings so far and the fact that WG brought him after he'd only played about 45 mins of the 6N suggests he was always going to be in the mix for the tests IMO.
Old 15-06-17, 06:23 AM   #2577
Irishnev
Shankly

Interesting team

British & Irish Lions (v Maori All Blacks): L Halfpenny (Toulon, Wales); A Watson (Bath, England), J Davies (Scarlets, Wales), B Te'o (Worcester, England), G North (Northampton, England); J Sexton (Leinster, Ireland), C Murray (Munster, Ireland); M Vunipola (Saracens, England), J George (Saracens, England), T Furlong (Leinster, Ireland); M Itoje (Saracens, England), G Kruis (Saracens, England); P O'Mahony (Munster, Ireland) – captain, S O'Brien (Leinster, Ireland), T Faletau (Bath, Wales).

Replacements: K Owens (Scarlets, Wales), J McGrath (Leinster, Ireland), K Sinckler (Harlequins, England), I Henderson (Ulster, Ireland), S Warburton (Cardiff Blues, Wales), G Laidlaw (Gloucester, Scotland), O Farrell (Saracens, England), E Daly (Wasps, England).
Old 15-06-17, 09:42 AM   #2578
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Well, if this is to give an indication of the test team... Halfpenny, Davies and North in the backs. That'd be because Wales have been so strong there recently?

George North has been in poor form for a while, so the onus is squarely on him to perform.

Forwards look solid though, and the pressure is on them to smother the game and eke out the pens.
Old 15-06-17, 05:36 PM   #2579
Cormack74
Shankly

Was thinking the same a couple of days back. There's probably a realistic chance of 7 Welsh guys starting the first test injuries permitting, so almost half the team.

I don't actually care where they come from (especially if they do the business) but it does seem a bit odd especially given Wales' inability to beat virtually any opposition from the southern hemisphere in recent years.
Old 16-06-17, 06:15 AM   #2580
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Was thinking the same a couple of days back. There's probably a realistic chance of 7 Welsh guys starting the first test injuries permitting, so almost half the team.

I don't actually care where they come from (especially if they do the business) but it does seem a bit odd especially given Wales' inability to beat virtually any opposition from the southern hemisphere in recent years.
That's the worry isn't it - you'd hope he would pick based on form and in some cases he has (O'Mahony being the best example) but he def has a Welsh bias with in the region of 7 of them likely to start. Irl and Eng have beaten SA and Aus in recent years and Irl have even beaten NZ not so long ago. I think North and LH deserve a go based on lack of competition but some of the others have better players that are being overlooked.
Old 16-06-17, 11:49 AM   #2581
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Gatland is apparently going to call up 5 (Welsh?) players to bolster the Lions squad.
Old 16-06-17, 02:05 PM   #2582
Cormack74
Shankly

I think that's based on the fact that they're just up the road at the moment.

(At least that's what was being reported at lunch time).
Old 16-06-17, 02:24 PM   #2583
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I think that's based on the fact that they're just up the road at the moment.

(At least that's what was being reported at lunch time).
I hope Finn Russell gets called up. He's got something a bit different from the other fly halfs.
Old 16-06-17, 09:10 PM   #2584
Cormack74
Shankly

His name was also mentioned in the piece I heard

Let's see if they got it right
Old 17-06-17, 07:40 AM   #2585
Irishnev
Shankly

Some breaking news from the off for you...

Welsh quartet Kristian Dacey, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill and Gareth Davies have been called up to the Lions squad.

Scotland prop Allan Dell and fly-half Finn Russell are also set to be added to the squad following their game in Australia today.
Old 17-06-17, 08:02 AM   #2586
RichC
Meh

Scottish beat the Aussies
Old 17-06-17, 09:18 AM   #2587
Irishnev
Shankly

Davies and North look way off form
Old 17-06-17, 09:53 AM   #2588
Irishnev
Shankly

Credit where it is due - Davies been v good second half, pack superb and Lions well in top
Old 17-06-17, 09:57 AM   #2589
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Scottish beat the Aussies

Too early for me, but by all accounts a classic with a stunning try to round it off.

Back to back wins v the Aussies away for us now.

Up to forth in the World. It makes a mockery of our representation in this Lions squad.
Old 17-06-17, 10:30 AM   #2590
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Good win for the Lions today, confidence should be building ahead of the first test, the team looks to be sorting itself out. A lot riding on that first test.
Old 17-06-17, 11:30 AM   #2591
Irishnev
Shankly

Great for Scotland - winning vs the SH sides is tough and even tougher away. V powerful pack performance today and outside of Farrell and his fitness the team nearly picks itself now.
Old 17-06-17, 12:33 PM   #2592
Irishnev
Shankly

Now I have 5 mins to sit and write (busy day at home!) - my team:

LH, AW, JD, BT, GN, IF, CM, TF, SOB, POM, MI, GK, TF, JG, MV

Sexton if Farrell is fit and a few genuine concerns over North who looks out of form and lacking confidence. Henderson did v well when he came on today. Sam W only gets on the bench for me.

I hope it is wet and a power game because the AB will batter them in a wide open game. Setting up nicely now.
Old 18-06-17, 08:31 PM   #2593
Cormack74
Shankly

Only just had the chance to watch / digest yesterday's games.

Fantastic result for Scotland - I can't say I saw that coming despite the fact that they are on an upward trajectory. Any southern hemisphere team away is tricky and that's an awesome result.

The BIL I was pretty confident about because the saturday sides have been strong and clearly have more closely represented WG's views on test selection.

England - another good win from our 2nd / 3rd team. I really hope these guys push those ahead of them to even greater things or overtake them, whichever way improves our best team. Lots of good performances plus some slightly disappointing defending at times particularly from Marlon Yarde.

Mark Wilson looks to me like he'll be England's first choice open side by the time we get to the Autumn tests (although he's lucky that there isn't nearly as much competition for that spot currently as there is for most positions) but after all the hype I was less impressed with Sam Underhill. Early days I suppose.
Old 18-06-17, 08:40 PM   #2594
Cormack74
Shankly

Some big clues here about the test side for next week. Presuming that those playing v the Chiefs probably won't be in the mix, Rory Best's selection is interesting and Henshaw's. Suggests to me that Joseph will be at 13 which is one of the few positions I didn't feel was nailed on:

Liam Williams; Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Elliot Daly; Dan Biggar, Greig Laidlaw; Joe Marler, Rory Best (capt), Dan Cole, Iain Henderson, Courtney Lawes, James Haskell, CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric.
Old 18-06-17, 09:15 PM   #2595
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

If the Lions don't win the battle with the forwards they are going to get crushed.

Who is the ref, he's going to be importanat.
Old 18-06-17, 10:28 PM   #2596
Cormack74
Shankly

Garces, Peype, Poite.

Garces can be a bit left field sometimes but on balance I'm glad (at this stage) that we've got 2 NH refs rather than 2 or even 3 from from the SH.
Old 18-06-17, 10:33 PM   #2597
Cormack74
Shankly

Edit: I got the order wrong. Rather annoyingly Peype is doing the first test, then Garces then Poite.

Would have preferred one of the French guys for the first match so by the time we got to the second the AB's might still be on NH style reffing.
Old 18-06-17, 10:43 PM   #2598
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 20-06-17, 05:39 AM   #2599
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
So opinion time from an Irish perspective.

I'm happy to get 11 places and delighted for both Henderson & O'Mahony who are both superb aggressive players and well suited to playing NZ. I wouldn't even be surprised if O'Mahony made the test side - I am a Munster fan and he is that good. I am also glad that a few of the older brigade such as Kearney, Heaslip & Toner were overlooked because they aren't good enough.

I am genuinely surprised that Payne made the squad but he is fairly versatile and can play full back and centre quite well. Added to that he is a Kiwi by birth so many that stood him in good stead.

No Roberts - phew - wasn't deserving of a place.

I agree a few players have got in on reputation rather than form but we need to get behind them and squabble over the test side now. Going to NZ is the hardest of the lot and hopefully they fair better than last time when O'Driscoll was shafted and Carter announced himself to the world.
Lots to suggest he'll be captain for the first test, great shout Nev
Old 20-06-17, 12:19 PM   #2600
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Sad news.

Former Scotland and Lions international Doddie Weir has announced he has Motor Neurons Disease.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/scots-rugby-l...announced-mnd/

est1892 > General > General Sports