It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-04-21, 06:09 AM   #281
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nah, I’m not buying that. Everybody was crap first half but Gini and Fabinho picked up in the second. Phillips’ positioning wasn’t great last night BUT he was up against some proper players. Not his fault that he isn’t a top class CB.
Yeah that's what happens in the champs league unfortunately. Philips is what he is and it is who we have to play in this current situation.

IMO Fab had an absolute stinker, looked out on his feet and Gini apart from one great run was absolutely irrelevant. The midfield was a disaster & gave zero protection for the likes of Philips & Kabak

Last edited by danperkins; 08-04-21 at 06:15 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 06:39 AM   #282
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Who is going to want to be 4/5th choice, and be at the levels you are expecting?
I don't think anyone coming in will consider themselves to be 4th choice. If we go into next season with VVD, Gomez, Kabak and for arguments sake Koante as our main 4, I think that all those last three would at worst consider themselves as in a battle to partner VVD with a realistic chance of starting. 5th choice is looking like being Davies (or Phillips if we keep him).
Old 08-04-21, 06:56 AM   #283
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I don't think anyone coming in will consider themselves to be 4th choice. If we go into next season with VVD, Gomez, Kabak and for arguments sake Koante as our main 4, I think that all those last three would at worst consider themselves as in a battle to partner VVD with a realistic chance of starting. 5th choice is looking like being Davies (or Phillips if we keep him).
need strong options, ones that are actually challenging for a first team spot and not just making up the numbers. There are plenty of league games and cups comps to rotate & imo the drop off in quality of our 2nd string is an issue.

In saying that the problem that we had this season was even our backups were injured
Old 08-04-21, 11:05 AM   #284
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Watching PSG and Bayern last night I’m not sure getting to the final would be the best thing for us right now.
Old 08-04-21, 11:20 AM   #285
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Watching PSG and Bayern last night Iím not sure getting to the final would be the best thing for us right now.
Yep, looking that way as they are a totally different level to us right now...looking at the winners of this year's CL in that tie...they will destroy City in the semi's.
Old 08-04-21, 11:44 AM   #286
danperkins

Quote:
Watching PSG and Bayern last night Iím not sure getting to the final would be the best thing for us right now.
had this discussion last night. We are so far off that level right now it's scary.
Old 08-04-21, 12:09 PM   #287
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
Yep, looking that way as they are a totally different level to us right now...looking at the winners of this year's CL in that tie...they will destroy City in the semi's.
Just watched the highlights also and Bayern were dominant but missed loads of chances - no Lewa or Gnabry a huge loss for them. Mbappe on the break is unstoppable - our high line would be put to the test by him

I think City are not home yet but if they get through theyíd give PSG a good game and would fancy beating them. Bayern with everyone back would fancy beating them though.

City the worst outcome for me, then Chelsea, then Madrid, then PSG, then Bayern. Ideally if not us then Dortmund
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 10:41 PM   #288
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
I donít want to single out any of our players to be honest, but seems itís a habit in here after each bad game. This bump was for consistencyís sake.
So to recap you donít want to bag our players out but others do it so you want to do it for consistency sake. Ok then
Old 30-04-21, 01:50 PM   #289
kev776
Paisley

Is he still injured? we will be fucked on Sunday if Fabinho has to play CB again
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-21, 04:06 PM   #290
Liverpool
Paisley

Imagine being in a coma for 12 months and waking up to find we desperately need Nathaniel Phillips available to play Man United away
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-21, 05:30 PM   #291
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Imagine being in a coma for 12 months and waking up to find we desperately need Nathaniel Phillips available to play Man United away

Old 30-04-21, 07:30 PM   #292
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
.....Grim.
Old 30-04-21, 08:38 PM   #293
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
hahaha, that is the funniest sentence i have seen in ages & soooo much times in a nutshell
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 05:31 AM   #294
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
hahaha, that is the funniest sentence i have seen in ages & soooo much times in a nutshell

It could be worse, you could wake up to the news that Ben Davies is taking his debut.
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 08:10 AM   #295
vlahka
Still sulking...

Or you coma'd through the last 2 seasons and woke up for this one. Probably try to self induce coma again.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 08:15 PM   #296
Charly
Dalglish

The gods have smiled upon us then, giving more time to get Phillips back to full fitness.
Old 04-05-21, 08:19 PM   #297
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
The gods have smiled upon us then, giving more time to get Phillips back to full fitness.
Unless they're giving him some new legs he's still going to get roasted by Rashford and Co.
Old 09-05-21, 01:37 AM   #298
Charly
Dalglish

Another clean sheet. Deserves to be a part of the first team next year.
Old 09-05-21, 08:23 AM   #299
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Another clean sheet. Deserves to be a part of the first team next year.
He's done well since he came in but realistically when everyone is back he is 5th choice at best, VVD, Gomez, Kabak, Matip/Konate (if the press reports are true) would all be ahead of him when fit. I guess the question is will they be fit given the injuries they suffered?

I think this comes down to what Phillips wants to do he is at an age where he needs to play regularly. You couldn't blame him for thinking next year he won't get a game with us, and this season has given him a springboard to get a decent move somewhere...
Old 09-05-21, 09:31 AM   #300
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
He's done well since he came in but realistically when everyone is back he is 5th choice at best, VVD, Gomez, Kabak, Matip/Konate (if the press reports are true) would all be ahead of him when fit. I guess the question is will they be fit given the injuries they suffered?

I think this comes down to what Phillips wants to do he is at an age where he needs to play regularly. You couldn't blame him for thinking next year he won't get a game with us, and this season has given him a springboard to get a decent move somewhere...
The main worry about the names you've given there is that apart from Kabak they all have big question marks against them. Matip and Gomez are very firmly in the permanently crocked camp, Konate is only a potential signing and we may not be in Europe next season, and Virgil is coming up to 30 returning from a very serious injury, we don't know what he'll be like. Phillips might well be a permanent fixture next season.
Old 09-05-21, 09:54 AM   #301
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
The main worry about the names you've given there is that apart from Kabak they all have big question marks against them. Matip and Gomez are very firmly in the permanently crocked camp, Konate is only a potential signing and we may not be in Europe next season, and Virgil is coming up to 30 returning from a very serious injury, we don't know what he'll be like. Phillips might well be a permanent fixture next season.
Iíd be shocked if he was. The style of play with the high line and relying on pace and building from the back just isnít his game.

Heís filled a gap for us in a terrible injury crisis but Iíd not want to see him getting games other than cup next season.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 10:21 AM   #302
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Nat Van Dijk.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 11:51 AM   #303
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Iíd be shocked if he was. The style of play with the high line and relying on pace and building from the back just isnít his game.

Heís filled a gap for us in a terrible injury crisis but Iíd not want to see him getting games other than cup next season.
Obviously it's not ideal but unless we're going to be buying at least a couple of ready made defenders on top of Kabak he's got to fancy his chances of being a sub and getting a few games in. We've also got to get cover for full backs, plug holes in the midfield and freshen up the front line, so us replacing a capable, if limited, stand in seems a bit of a stretch to me.
Old 09-05-21, 03:59 PM   #304
Charly
Dalglish

Id rather we had Phillips than Kabak. He may be technically more gifted and quicker, but we dont get many clean sheets when he plays (2/10 v 5/14).

Those crappy last minute goals and an inability to see a game out have cost us this season. I feel more comfortable with a carthorse than a show pony.

If we buy a defender Id rather drop Kabak and spend on an esablished centreback and keep Phillips.
Old 09-05-21, 05:03 PM   #305
McDermotX
Paisley

I dunno.......there was a small moment of play out near the wing last night where Phillips fell over twice in the space of a few seconds and was in his way to a third before the ball was cleared by someone else. I certainly wished it was Kabak at that moment.

That said, Nat has done alright by us, so fair dues. Personally, I think our defensive requirements revolve around how VVD returns......he makes or breaks his partner IMO. Someone like Kabak has could greatly enhance his all round game beside him, as Gomez has done.
Old 09-05-21, 06:33 PM   #306
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Positioning is an issue - seems to get dragged to places he shouldnít be too often for my liking.

Heís done very well for us but he shouldnít really be anywhere near a team aiming for the top.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 06:40 PM   #307
memzey
Fagan

Kabak over Philips for me. Suits the way we play much more, has a higher ceiling in terms of potential and is younger. Still been quite pleased with how Philips has played at times though. He’s definitely done his career no harm and can see any number of clubs being in for him in the summer.
Old 09-05-21, 07:40 PM   #308
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Reckon we’ll sell him and get a lot more money for him.

He’d be worth a pint for a Leeds Utd type team. He’s proven he can do a job in the PL, but I don’t think he is the answer for us and will always be 5th or 6th choice, which is probably not what he is looking for.
Old 09-05-21, 07:57 PM   #309
Pepe79
Shankly

Can’t see Philips suiting Leeds or teams of their style, for the same reasons he’s not ideal for us.

Maybe a Burnley or similar type team. We should sell him if we can though, his stock will never be higher.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 08:29 PM   #310
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Canít see Philips suiting Leeds or teams of their style, for the same reasons heís not ideal for us.

Maybe a Burnley or similar type team. We should sell him if we can though, his stock will never be higher.
I wasnít looking at it that way more in terms of League position. But yeah. Burnley - good shout.
Old 09-05-21, 10:44 PM   #311
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Reckon weíll sell him and get a lot more money for him.
People need to remember that money doesn't grow on trees....if we sell Matip and Gomez and Phillips, that would mean we start the new season with VVD (and we won't know by then whether he is fully recovered), Williams and purchses. How many are we going to buy?

(As well as strikers and midfielders?)
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 02:32 AM   #312
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
People need to remember that money doesn't grow on trees....if we sell Matip and Gomez and Phillips, that would mean we start the new season with VVD (and we won't know by then whether he is fully recovered), Williams and purchses. How many are we going to buy?

(As well as strikers and midfielders?)
No way Gomez is leaving, I think Phillips will probably go and maybe Matip (if we can find a buyer) if rumours are true and we are going to buy both Kabak and Konate.
Old 10-05-21, 12:30 PM   #313
super_xabi
Benitez

Does Phillips's homegrown status become a factor as a potential 4th choice?

Given the injury records of Gomez/Matip I till think he would play a few games
super_xabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 01:21 PM   #314
maxwellbaxter
Houllier

Good option to bring on in the final 10-15 minutes in a close game against hoof teams
Old 10-05-21, 02:09 PM   #315
RedAndWhite
Dalglish

I think he is worth keeping even if it is 4th/5th place. He can do a job and lets us give other players a rest. Also in the past few games he seems to be becoming a lot more vocal and confident in trying to organise what's going on around him which is a plus in my books.
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 04:10 PM   #316
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_xabi View Post
Does Phillips's homegrown status become a factor as a potential 4th choice?

Given the injury records of Gomez/Matip I till think he would play a few games
It depends on what we do with our squad in the summer, at present we have 17 non-homegrown players (which is the max), if we bring Minamino back (and sign Kabak) we have 18, but Wijnaldum is seemingly leaving which takes us back to the maximum of 17. At that point we would need to operate a one in one out system for players who don't qualify as homegrown. But likely players to leave who would free up these slots are Adrian, Origi, Shaqiri. I doubt we will sign more than 3 non-homegrown players not at CB - if we bring in another CB (as well as Kabak) I imagine he will be a replacement for Matip, so to be honest I don't see the homegrown thing being an issue this summer.
Old 10-05-21, 04:26 PM   #317
Charly
Dalglish

I dont see Matip leaving. Nobody will risk buying him. He is fantastic when fit, so I think we will keep him.

That is why I would rather not buy Kabak, and spend the money on a premium centreback.

Good point about foreign players. I think we would be silly to sell Phillips at this stage. He is still young enough to improve, and I think understands his own limitations. I dont know why, but I get a Lovren vibe from Kabak.
Old 10-05-21, 04:30 PM   #318
kev776
Paisley

If Kabak stays and we buy Konate, this could put Philips as 6th choice, why the fuck would he stay? He was on his way out with 3 CBs ahead of him, since then we will have bought 3 more, 2 of which will be ahead of him plus Davies.
Old 10-05-21, 07:11 PM   #319
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
If Kabak stays and we buy Konate, this could put Philips as 6th choice, why the fuck would he stay? He was on his way out with 3 CBs ahead of him, since then we will have bought 3 more, 2 of which will be ahead of him plus Davies.
I know Kabak is cheap but do you actually think he suits our style of defence?

Personally I think Phillips has done better so if we are to keep one I'd keep him unless we think we can sell him for more than £18m, which I suspect is unlikely this summer.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 10:21 AM   #320
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellbaxter View Post
Good option to bring on in the final 10-15 minutes in a close game against hoof teams
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC