It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 02-04-15, 11:50 PM   #4081
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus50bucks View Post
And how many fights had Maidana fought at welterweight before he faced Mayweather? Have you forgotten he also won the wba belt so put himself in a strong position to fight Mayweather? His resume is also a lot better than Algieri who has had just one fight at welterweight . Not to mention he is feather fisted. I'm sorry but I will eat my own hat if Khan fights either Floyd or Manny next on the back of beating Algieri. He would have had a better chance had he fought and beaten Brook but he's ducked him.

What is worse is the fact he has proven to be feather fisted in the weight class below the one he will meet Khan in.

Just stinks of Khan looking for yet another low risk opponent whilst at the same time trying to ask questions as to why other fighters are not taken on tougher opponents.

Khan is well on course to have a career in which he never beats a top tier fighter which would be a shame as I think he has the physical tools to beat a few of the top tier fighters out there.

He really needs to find out if he can actually beat a quality genuine heavy hitter because right now it just looks like he will do every thing in his power to avoid finding out the answer to that.

I can see Mayweather jr taking him to the cleaners if they meet in the next 12 months and it not getting past six rounds.
Old 03-04-15, 12:02 AM   #4082
Tee
El Pistolero

Let's change this thread title to The Khan Bashing Thread.

No matter what he does it will never be enough it seems.

17 year old Olympic silver medalist.....amazing.
Old 03-04-15, 12:14 AM   #4083
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Let's change this thread title to The Khan Bashing Thread.

No matter what he does it will never be enough it seems.

17 year old Olympic silver medalist.....amazing.

In the pro ranks he has done nothing outstanding. He has mouthpieces that hype him up to be a top level fighter in the pro ranks but to date he has never beaten a top level fighter, has never avenged a defeat, seems to avoid fighters on his own level, and he (and his handlers) have a liking for padding his record with light fisted or past it opponents.

Basically he is, to date in his pro career, a fighter who has done nothing outstanding but who wants to be regarded as a once in a generation fighter.

Him winning a silver in the Olympics at 17 was impressive and his deserves kudos for that, but it is for his lack of top level wins in the pro ranks that he receives criticism for along with his ability to avoid taking on top level fighters.

Achievements in the unpaid ranks only carry a fighter so far once he enters the paid ranks. Olympic gold medal winner Audley Harrison being a great example of how being at the top in the unpaid ranks does not translate to being able to do likewise in the paid ranks.
Old 03-04-15, 12:21 AM   #4084
Chazza
Des Lynam

Careful you will get accused of racism.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 12:25 AM   #4085
fidget
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
In the pro ranks he has done nothing outstanding. He has mouthpieces that hype him up to be a top level fighter in the pro ranks but to date he has never beaten a top level fighter, has never avenged a defeat, seems to avoid fighters on his own level, and he (and his handlers) have a liking for padding his record with light fisted or past it opponents.

Basically he is, to date in his pro career, a fighter who has done nothing outstanding but who wants to be regarded as a once in a generation fighter.

Him winning a silver in the Olympics at 17 was impressive and his deserves kudos for that, but it is for his lack of top level wins in the pro ranks that he receives criticism for along with his ability to avoid taking on top level fighters.

Achievements in the unpaid ranks only carry a fighter so far once he enters the paid ranks. Olympic gold medal winner Audley Harrison being a great example of how being at the top in the unpaid ranks does not translate to being able to do likewise in the paid ranks.
Excellent post.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:55 AM   #4086
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Ducked Kell? Bro!!!!!

He should have taken the Broner fight, great for his PR, but as for Kell he is still pretty much irrelevant at the moment.
You laugh Tee but do you honestly think fighting Algieri has put him in with a better chance of facing the winner of Mayweather or Pacquiao? Would he not have put himself in a much stronger position to fight either of those two had he faced Brook for the IBF belt and beaten him? I'll agree Brook's resume isn't great at all but his one fight against Porter is better than anyone Khan has fought at welterweight to date and if you disagree I would like you to name me a better welterweight opponent that Khan has fought?

As for your comment that Khan should have fought Broner I'll admit he'd have been a more credible opponent than Algieri but that's where it ends imo. Broner is actually far superior in the lightweight division but jumped two weight divisions to face Paulie and although he beat him he weren't able to carry the power at welterwight. It was the same in his loss to Maidana. He was far from comfortable at the weight and it's why he moved down to light welterweight. He admitted it himself. With that being said I don't think Khan fighting Broner would have been a more worthy opponent than Brook either. He would have been yet another opponent that is not a true welterweight. Khan has skills but there is no doubt in my mind that he has been kept away from big punchers since his defeat against Garcia.
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:57 AM   #4087
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
What is worse is the fact he has proven to be feather fisted in the weight class below the one he will meet Khan in.

Just stinks of Khan looking for yet another low risk opponent whilst at the same time trying to ask questions as to why other fighters are not taken on tougher opponents.

Khan is well on course to have a career in which he never beats a top tier fighter which would be a shame as I think he has the physical tools to beat a few of the top tier fighters out there.

He really needs to find out if he can actually beat a quality genuine heavy hitter because right now it just looks like he will do every thing in his power to avoid finding out the answer to that.

I can see Mayweather jr taking him to the cleaners if they meet in the next 12 months and it not getting past six rounds.
Quote:

Very good points mate and I agree with them.
Old 03-04-15, 07:21 AM   #4088
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

well there's a surprise from Khan,while it looked odds on he would fighy either Brook or Boner we get this surprise announcement

Last edited by Bender; 03-04-15 at 07:25 AM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:10 AM   #4089
Tee
El Pistolero

How can anyone say that Amir has done nothing outstanding in his career? That is a laughable and quite frankly bitter thing to say. Give him some credit for becoming a WC FFS.

He still has lots of fight options down the line, including rematches to avenge defeats. He has agreed to fight Kelly Brook in the next 12 months as well.

He just cannot win with UK fight fans and I cannot but help think why. I am not a massive fan of him as a person but some of the unfair stick he gets in this country makes me want to get his back.

I was lucky enough to spend time on Monday in a prominent UK pro boxing gym and spoke at length with an ex World Champ about Khan amongst other things. He agreed with me that Amir gets it bad in the UK and reckons he is going to beat Kelly when they eventually meet. He is not the only one who said that in this gym either.
Old 03-04-15, 10:11 AM   #4090
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
You laugh Tee but do you honestly think fighting Algieri has put him in with a better chance of facing the winner of Mayweather or Pacquiao? Would he not have put himself in a much stronger position to fight either of those two had he faced Brook for the IBF belt and beaten him? I'll agree Brook's resume isn't great at all but his one fight against Porter is better than anyone Khan has fought at welterweight to date and if you disagree I would like you to name me a better welterweight opponent that Khan has fought?

As for your comment that Khan should have fought Broner I'll admit he'd have been a more credible opponent than Algieri but that's where it ends imo. Broner is actually far superior in the lightweight division but jumped two weight divisions to face Paulie and although he beat him he weren't able to carry the power at welterwight. It was the same in his loss to Maidana. He was far from comfortable at the weight and it's why he moved down to light welterweight. He admitted it himself. With that being said I don't think Khan fighting Broner would have been a more worthy opponent than Brook either. He would have been yet another opponent that is not a true welterweight. Khan has skills but there is no doubt in my mind that he has been kept away from big punchers since his defeat against Garcia.
Maidana
Old 03-04-15, 10:15 AM   #4091
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Maidana
I said since he beat Garcia he has been kept away from big punchers. And another thing he fought Maidana at light welterweight and it was before he faced Garcia.
Old 03-04-15, 10:17 AM   #4092
RichC
Meh

He's a good fighter but not at the top level for me, picking a fight like Algieri won't help wit the perception that he picks fights avoiding heavy hitters. If he wins this he really does have to step up in class and take a bigger risk with opponents as it really does appear he's just holding out for a big pay day (can't blame him) against Manny or Floyd and that's no way to build a legacy.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:18 AM   #4093
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
How can anyone say that Amir has done nothing outstanding in his career? That is a laughable and quite frankly bitter thing to say. Give him some credit for becoming a WC FFS.

He still has lots of fight options down the line, including rematches to avenge defeats. He has agreed to fight Kelly Brook in the next 12 months as well.

He just cannot win with UK fight fans and I cannot but help think why. I am not a massive fan of him as a person but some of the unfair stick he gets in this country makes me want to get his back.

I was lucky enough to spend time on Monday in a prominent UK pro boxing gym and spoke at length with an ex World Champ about Khan amongst other things. He agreed with me that Amir gets it bad in the UK and reckons he is going to beat Kelly when they eventually meet. He is not the only one who said that in this gym either.
He has agreed to fight Brook in 12 months but fighting Algieri is not going to get him Mayweather or Pacquiao next. He's been badly advised.
Old 03-04-15, 10:19 AM   #4094
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
I said since he beat Garcia he has been kept away from big punchers. And another thing he fought Maidana at light welterweight and it was before he faced Garcia.
Mate, don't unders your beef with Amir but your views are blinkered on this one. He is not a legend by any stretch of the imagination but career wise he is fucking light years ahead of Kelly.
Old 03-04-15, 10:22 AM   #4095
RichC
Meh

One has a world title the other doesn't.

Blinkered with your dislike to "Kelly" as you call him ?
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:22 AM   #4096
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

And Tee I think there are many people out there that think Khan beats Kell Brook and it's why they're disappointed he has decided not to fight him now. I honestly think Khan and his team know it's a risky fight (even if they're confident in winning) as they know if he loses gone goes his chances of fighting Mayweather or Manny. But opting to fight Algieri is a piss take.
Old 03-04-15, 10:23 AM   #4097
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
He has agreed to fight Brook in 12 months but fighting Algieri is not going to get him Mayweather or Pacquiao next. He's been badly advised.
Maybe he will be thinking beyond the Mayweather or Pacquiao fight now? Perhaps he knows that ship has sailed and is looking at the bigger picture for himself?

Jo Jo Dan mate, go figure about shit opponents. Why didn't Kelly give Porter a rematch? Or even finish an epic trilogy with Carson?
Old 03-04-15, 10:25 AM   #4098
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Mate, don't unders your beef with Amir but your views are blinkered on this one. He is not a legend by any stretch of the imagination but career wise he is fucking light years ahead of Kelly.
I have no beef with Amir whatsoever. I like his skills. If you go check my posts in the past I've gone on record as saying I think Amir's style would give Mayweather problems but I see him adapting and beating Khan. Khan is not light years ahead of Kell in the welterweight division by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm still waiting for you to name be a better opponent than Porter that Khan has faced at welterweight, bro?
Old 03-04-15, 10:28 AM   #4099
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
I have no beef with Amir whatsoever. I like his skills. If you go check my posts in the past I've gone on record as saying I think Amir's style would give Mayweather problems but I see him adapting and beating Khan. Khan is not light years ahead of Kell in the welterweight division by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm still waiting for you to name be a better opponent than Porter that Khan has faced at welterweight, bro?
In terms of career you could easily argue that Devon Alexander is better than Porter. Probably not good enough for you though, bro.
Old 03-04-15, 10:32 AM   #4100
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Maybe he will be thinking beyond the Mayweather or Pacquiao fight now? Perhaps he knows that ship has sailed and is looking at the bigger picture for himself?

Jo Jo Dan mate, go figure about shit opponents. Why didn't Kelly give Porter a rematch? Or even finish an epic trilogy with Carson?
I agree Jo Jo Dan was a piss poor opponent despite him being mandatory for the ibf belt. The only justification is that Brook was coming back from a near fatal attack so it would have been very risky to put him in with a top class opponent.

Lets discuss Khan's opponents previous opponents since his loss to Garcia, Algieri? Alexander, Collazo, Diaz, Molina hardly mouth watering eh?

Last edited by marcus50bucks; 03-04-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-04-15, 10:35 AM   #4101
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
In terms of career you could easily argue that Devon Alexander is better than Porter. Probably not good enough for you though, bro.
And this Alexander got beat by Porter at welterweight who Kell happened to beat.

And Alexander is not a true welterweight either.
Old 03-04-15, 10:41 AM   #4102
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Thurman on Khan 4:30 in. He's bang on
Old 03-04-15, 10:42 AM   #4103
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
I agree Jo Jo Dan was a piss poor opponent despite him being mandatory for the ibf belt. The only justification is that Brook was coming from a near fatal attack so it would have very risky to put him in with a top class opponent.

Lets discuss Khan's opponents previous opponents since his loss to Garcia, Algieri? Alexander, Collazo, Diaz, Molina hardly mouth watering eh?
Hardly, but better than what Brook has faced so far. There was no justification for that Jo Jo Dan fight mate, always a risk with better opponents for him as Carson showed.

Anyhow, Khan has nothing to prove to anyone but himself now. He has become a World Championship at 22, made a name for himself in the States and is a positive role model for his community. He will go on and hopefully get some bigger fights again, and nothing would be sweeter than seeing him beat Kell when they eventually meet.
Old 03-04-15, 10:44 AM   #4104
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixhN_PGXD4

Thurman on Khan 4:30 in. He's bang on
Boxer in trying to sell himself as an opponent shocker.
Old 03-04-15, 10:46 AM   #4105
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Porter aside what big punchers has Kell fought?

The notion that Khan is the only boxer who hand picks his opponents is laughable.

As for for Hearn and Brook being all in on a Khan fight and it was the Khan camp who 'ducked when has Hearn ever put one of his really big names in a true 50/50 fight. He tends to put them in either mental cash out fights abroad or home bankers.

Witness Porter vs Brook. Performance of the year by a British fighter in my opinion but i along with many others didn't give Brook much of a chance. Then look at Brooks first defence

Last edited by spud_gun; 03-04-15 at 10:48 AM.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:48 AM   #4106
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Hardly, but better than what Brook has faced so far. There was no justification for that Jo Jo Dan fight mate, always a risk with better opponents for him as Carson showed.

Anyhow, Khan has nothing to prove to anyone but himself now. He has become a World Championship at 22, made a name for himself in the States and is a positive role model for his community. He will go on and hopefully get some bigger fights again, and nothing would be sweeter than seeing him beat Kell when they eventually meet.
That's the thing Tee you have a go at people for having a go at Amir but you seem hell bent on ridiculing Kell's achievements and come out with people don't like Khan in the UK. I can turn it around and say if Amir wasn't a Pakistani you wouldn't be defending him the way you're doing. It works both ways bro.
Old 03-04-15, 10:52 AM   #4107
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
That's the thing Tee you have a go at people for having a go at Amir but you seem hell bent on ridiculing Kell's achievements and come out with people don't like Khan in the UK. I can turn it around and say if Amir wasn't a Pakistani you wouldn't be defending him the way you're doing. It works both ways bro.
And you would be right, because if he wasn't of Pakistani origin I know he would not have got 90% of the stick and abuse (not here btw) that he does. I thought that you would even appreciate that.
Old 03-04-15, 10:55 AM   #4108
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
And you would be right, because if he wasn't of Pakistani origin I know he would not have got 90% of the stick and abuse (not here btw) that he does. I thought that you would even appreciate that.
So because he's a Pakistani you feel the need to make excuses for some of the fights he's had whilst slaughtering Kell Brook?
Old 03-04-15, 10:58 AM   #4109
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
Careful you will get accused of racism.

There's none of that here - Khan can be rightly criticised and all of it here is justifiable - but I stand by my belief that there is some pretty sinister, latent racism where Khan is concerned from a good chunk of his detractors in this country.
Old 03-04-15, 11:16 AM   #4110
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
So because he's a Pakistani you feel the need to make excuses for some of the fights he's had whilst slaughtering Kell Brook?
Hardly 'slaughtered' Kell Brook on here ffs.
Old 03-04-15, 11:20 AM   #4111
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

There's none of that here - Khan can be rightly criticised and all of it here is justifiable - but I stand by my belief that there is some pretty sinister, latent racism where Khan is concerned from a good chunk of his detractors in this country.

Perhaps I make the mistake of going too hard against his detractors on this site tbf, so that's it no more on that subject from me.

Khan has been on Twitter and basically said that he will fight Brook when the time is right for him. I agree that Brook is just seeing it as his big payday and Khan is rightly making him sweat.
Old 03-04-15, 11:29 AM   #4112
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

There are lots of belt holders out there that are not highly regarded due to never having faced top fighters or having "earned" their title shots (along with comfortable opponents thanks to the pull of their promoters).

Nothing new in that and nothing new in some World Champions being seen as mere custodians of the strap until a genuine top tier fighter (or at least one better than they are) takes the belt from them.

Those weaker belt holders will have worked hard to get to where they are as they will have put in the hours to train and what not, but guess what so has every journeyman fighter out there and I don't see people lining up to lavish praise on them for training hard and going the extra mile to get to where they are. Working hard should be a given in boxing regardless of whether you are top tier or making up the numbers.

As some on here know I am pretty close with a current world champion and I have nothing but respect for the effort and work he has put in to get himself into a position from which he won the strap, but my friendship with him is not enough to blind me to the fact that having a current world title does not make him a top tier fighter or that his career has been outstanding (in terms of the actual division rather than in terms of personal achievement) just because he has the strap.

But you seem to be arguing that he has done something outstanding in his pro career. So you take the stage then and list off the outstanding fighters he has beaten, or the outstanding way he has won his belts over the years.

Have a feeling you are going to find it difficult to find outstanding fighters on his record and I am struggling to see how any fight that he has had could truly be seen as being an outstanding one given the level of fighters he has met to date.

As for Khan getting it bad in the UK. Well maybe a lot of that is down to folks not swallowing the bullshit his PR team like to spout off and his record being seen for what it is. Good but nowhere near top class to date.

The guy has talent. He has some really good physical traits (some natural, and some that he had to really sweat to realise them) but he has fought nobody from the top table yet and what bugs a lot of people is that he talks about himself as being a fighter who has beaten the best and who is one of the best. Simple fact is that he has yet to back up his own claims and he will be called on that by boxing fans until he does show that he can hang with the best and more importantly beat the best.

As for an ex World champion saying Khan gets it rough in the UK. Well I am sure that there are plenty in the game that will say that his hype has been justified, just as there are plenty who think he is talented but has been protected/well managed and that his record to date is a tad manufactured.

It is all about opinions, but until he starts adding some genuine higher level names to his W column, he is going to continue to be viewed as a fighter who operates at a level or two below the best.

Said it before in this thread, but if Khan called it a day on his career right now there is no way his record stands up to being called outstanding and there is no way he could be called an outstanding champion or having had mixed it with the best the divisions he competed in could offer.

His personality does not matter a jot to me when it comes to gauging him as a boxer. There are plenty of assholes that I have known, met and/or watched over the years that were amazing once they got into the ring and who had amazing careers, but Khan is a guy who so far in his career has proven that he is a stand out fighter only against a certain level of opponent, and it is on him whether or not he goes on to prove people right or wrong as to his ability to put his name alongside those of genuine high quality fighters and alongside those of genuine top tier fighters.
Old 03-04-15, 11:39 AM   #4113
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Perhaps I make the mistake of going too hard against his detractors on this site tbf, so that's it no more on that subject from me.

Khan has been on Twitter and basically said that he will fight Brook when the time is right for him. I agree that Brook is just seeing it as his big payday and Khan is rightly making him sweat.

Don't see much wrong in how you have expressed your own opinions on the subject, and if you disagree with folks then there is no reason for you not to say why.

I disagree with a lot of what you have said regarding Khan, but disagreements that get debated are what make threads like this one and sites like EST fun to be part of. Plus reading posts like yours help paint a picture of the other side of the Khan debate.
Old 03-04-15, 11:45 AM   #4114
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:

Yet Khan looks to be trying the easy route to get to Mayweather and Pacquiao but I don't see you being critical of him for doing just that. Lets also remember that Khan facing Brook would be his biggest pay day too.

Last edited by marcus50bucks; 03-04-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-04-15, 11:50 AM   #4115
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
There are lots of belt holders out there that are not highly regarded due to never having faced top fighters or having "earned" their title shots (along with comfortable opponents thanks to the pull of their promoters).

Nothing new in that and nothing new in some World Champions being seen as mere custodians of the strap until a genuine top tier fighter (or at least one better than they are) takes the belt from them.

Those weaker belt holders will have worked hard to get to where they are as they will have put in the hours to train and what not, but guess what so has every journeyman fighter out there and I don't see people lining up to lavish praise on them for training hard and going the extra mile to get to where they are. Working hard should be a given in boxing regardless of whether you are top tier or making up the numbers.

As some on here know I am pretty close with a current world champion and I have nothing but respect for the effort and work he has put in to get himself into a position from which he won the strap, but my friendship with him is not enough to blind me to the fact that having a current world title does not make him a top tier fighter or that his career has been outstanding (in terms of the actual division rather than in terms of personal achievement) just because he has the strap.

But you seem to be arguing that he has done something outstanding in his pro career. So you take the stage then and list off the outstanding fighters he has beaten, or the outstanding way he has won his belts over the years.

Have a feeling you are going to find it difficult to find outstanding fighters on his record and I am struggling to see how any fight that he has had could truly be seen as being an outstanding one given the level of fighters he has met to date.

As for Khan getting it bad in the UK. Well maybe a lot of that is down to folks not swallowing the bullshit his PR team like to spout off and his record being seen for what it is. Good but nowhere near top class to date.

The guy has talent. He has some really good physical traits (some natural, and some that he had to really sweat to realise them) but he has fought nobody from the top table yet and what bugs a lot of people is that he talks about himself as being a fighter who has beaten the best and who is one of the best. Simple fact is that he has yet to back up his own claims and he will be called on that by boxing fans until he does show that he can hang with the best and more importantly beat the best.

As for an ex World champion saying Khan gets it rough in the UK. Well I am sure that there are plenty in the game that will say that his hype has been justified, just as there are plenty who think he is talented but has been protected/well managed and that his record to date is a tad manufactured.

It is all about opinions, but until he starts adding some genuine higher level names to his W column, he is going to continue to be viewed as a fighter who operates at a level or two below the best.

Said it before in this thread, but if Khan called it a day on his career right now there is no way his record stands up to being called outstanding and there is no way he could be called an outstanding champion or having had mixed it with the best the divisions he competed in could offer.

His personality does not matter a jot to me when it comes to gauging him as a boxer. There are plenty of assholes that I have known, met and/or watched over the years that were amazing once they got into the ring and who had amazing careers, but Khan is a guy who so far in his career has proven that he is a stand out fighter only against a certain level of opponent, and it is on him whether or not he goes on to prove people right or wrong as to his ability to put his name alongside those of genuine high quality fighters and alongside those of genuine top tier fighters.
Fantastic post, I couldn't have written it any better myself.
Old 03-04-15, 12:05 PM   #4116
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Porter aside what big punchers has Kell fought?

The notion that Khan is the only boxer who hand picks his opponents is laughable.

As for for Hearn and Brook being all in on a Khan fight and it was the Khan camp who 'ducked when has Hearn ever put one of his really big names in a true 50/50 fight. He tends to put them in either mental cash out fights abroad or home bankers.

Witness Porter vs Brook. Performance of the year by a British fighter in my opinion but i along with many others didn't give Brook much of a chance. Then look at Brooks first defence

Yep, plenty of fighters try to hand pick their opponents and every fighter, even the very best, have some gimme bouts during their career, but if a fighter is trying to push the notion that he is the best in a division or among the very best, then his track record will come under scrutiny and if his record is found to be lacking by the standards the best in the division should be held to, well then that fighter cannot have any complaints if he is seen to be more fart than fury.

As for Kell Brook's record against that of Khan's.

Khan's is better and I don't think there would be much debate on that. But I do not think many, if anyone, on here would try and argue that Kell Brook is anywhere near being a top tier fighter and the fact he has a strap does not make his record look any better.

Khan vs Brook? Khan wins that one in my eyes and probably stops Brook, but Khan needs to be beating guys of the level of Broner and Brook on a fairly regular basis if he wants to be regarded as top tier because, and no disrespect meant to Brook and Broner, they are the level of fighter that the top guys put away maybe every third or fourth fight.
Old 03-04-15, 12:50 PM   #4117
fidget
Hodgsoned

Quote:

I like Khan,enjoy watching him box and agree that he gets a hard time in this country and it's certainly down to his ethnicity but that doesn't stop me agreeing entirely with Jaco.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:18 PM   #4118
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
I like Khan,enjoy watching him box and agree that he gets a hard time in this country and it's certainly down to his ethnicity but that doesn't stop me agreeing entirely with Jaco.
Respect that totally.
Old 03-04-15, 03:19 PM   #4119
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Yep, plenty of fighters try to hand pick their opponents and every fighter, even the very best, have some gimme bouts during their career, but if a fighter is trying to push the notion that he is the best in a division or among the very best, then his track record will come under scrutiny and if his record is found to be lacking by the standards the best in the division should be held to, well then that fighter cannot have any complaints if he is seen to be more fart than fury.

As for Kell Brook's record against that of Khan's.

Khan's is better and I don't think there would be much debate on that. But I do not think many, if anyone, on here would try and argue that Kell Brook is anywhere near being a top tier fighter and the fact he has a strap does not make his record look any better.

Khan vs Brook? Khan wins that one in my eyes and probably stops Brook, but Khan needs to be beating guys of the level of Broner and Brook on a fairly regular basis if he wants to be regarded as top tier because, and no disrespect meant to Brook and Broner, they are the level of fighter that the top guys put away maybe every third or fourth fight.

There is nothing logical in Khan choosing Algieri over Brook whatsoever, just pure backlash which is what the announcement has received. Even showtime have said they won't be showing the fight. What makes more sense, a fight with Brook for the IBF belt, become a two weight world champion if you win, receive your biggest pay day to date putting you in line for a unification fight against the winner of Mayweather v Manny. Or fight Algieri for less money and no belt at stake? Yes Algieri makes more sense innit
Old 03-04-15, 04:43 PM   #4120
Tee
El Pistolero

Khan not taking Brook right now makes complete sense. He needs to fight before Ramadan and the timescale to get such a big fight organised is not right in such a short space of time. Also, they clearly dislike each other and Khan is reluctant to give Brook that big payday that he clearly craves (he wants to make him sweat on it).

Brook has also just fought and will he want to fight again within 6 weeks? It makes no sense and Khan taking an easier option now in Algieri just buys him time to re-assess after Ramadan. Don't see why and how you of all people on here don't get that bro.

est1892 > General > General Sports