It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 15-04-21, 11:55 AM   #721
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
He definitely gets away with more average games than anyone else.

I’d like to see Ox given a run, and more than one game because he looks to make things happen and more importantly looks to take a shot on. It must be very frustrating to be watching am I creative midfield when you know you could contribute.

But he needs more than ten minutes and then being written off as shit.

Hardly. He was being criticised in here within a game or two of returning from a bad injury as well as having had covid.

As for Chamberlain, he has been with us for four seasons now and it is just the same cycle of being availabe for games one season followed by hardly availabe the next season over and over. Does not really matter how good he might be for us if he cannot be relied upon to be available. We already have a number of players that would potentially be excellent for us if they stayed fit for a sustained run of game, but what we need now is to start looking for players who are actually available to play more often than not when we need them rather than a bunch of great lads who might be really good if they could stay fit rather than having track records of season after season of missing games.

Chamberlain for me is in the same boat as the likes of Keita, albeit a bit older than Keita, as in he has lots of ability (and comes across as a really decent guy off the pitch too) but cannot be relied upon to be there if we have an injury crisis and cannot be relied upon to be fit enough to compete with the established players for a place.

He should be in that group of players that we would listen to offers for because if he was gone in the morning it is not as though we would miss him on the pitch, same as a number of others that have been at the club a number of years now.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 12:02 PM   #722
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Hardly. He was being criticised in here within a game or two of returning from a bad injury as well as having had covid.

As for Chamberlain, he has been with us for four seasons now and it is just the same cycle of being availabe for games one season followed by hardly availabe the next season over and over. Does not really matter how good he might be for us if he cannot be relied upon to be available. We already have a number of players that would potentially be excellent for us if they stayed fit for a sustained run of game, but what we need now is to start looking for players who are actually available to play more often than not when we need them rather than a bunch of great lads who might be really good if they could stay fit rather than having track records of season after season of missing games.

Chamberlain for me is in the same boat as the likes of Keita, albeit a bit older than Keita, as in he has lots of ability (and comes across as a really decent guy off the pitch too) but cannot be relied upon to be there if we have an injury crisis and cannot be relied upon to be fit enough to compete with the established players for a place.

He should be in that group of players that we would listen to offers for because if he was gone in the morning it is not as though we would miss him on the pitch, same as a number of others that have been at the club a number of years now.
I mean 'gets away with' in that he doesn't get dropped. And then he does get benched for the games that you kind of imagine he would be good in v Real!

I think that Hendo is the key, I don't think we have seen the Hendo/Fab/Thiago midfield all season.

I hope it works out for Ox, as he is such a good lad, and I can't imagine him getting a move to another club that is likely to win trophies in England.
Old 15-04-21, 12:34 PM   #723
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I mean 'gets away with' in that he doesn't get dropped. And then he does get benched for the games that you kind of imagine he would be good in v Real!

I think that Hendo is the key, I don't think we have seen the Hendo/Fab/Thiago midfield all season.

I hope it works out for Ox, as he is such a good lad, and I can't imagine him getting a move to another club that is likely to win trophies in England.

So he does not get dropped other than the games he does get dropped for

Do agree about Henderson. A fully fit midifled comprising of Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho.

Funnily enough one of the guys, Valverde, who would be one of my dream Henderson replacement players was playing against us last night (and not to his usual standard thankfully).

Would love to have a player like Valverde as a back up option that is there to then become a regular in the short to mid term. Is a great allrounder who can slot into a number of positions, will work his arse off, can be snide but can be silky.

Think someone like Tonali would be one my shortlist now along with someone like Zakaria to be cover for Fab.

Would be quite happy to have Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho being covered by Tonali, Jones and Zakaria. Like the idea of having a robust trio of back ups that have a bit of size to them along with no shortage in ability plus all being young or youngish so would be there for the long haul.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Old 15-04-21, 01:23 PM   #724
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
So he does not get dropped other than the games he does get dropped for

Do agree about Henderson. A fully fit midifled comprising of Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho.

Funnily enough one of the guys, Valverde, who would be one of my dream Henderson replacement players was playing against us last night (and not to his usual standard thankfully).

Would love to have a player like Valverde as a back up option that is there to then become a regular in the short to mid term. Is a great allrounder who can slot into a number of positions, will work his arse off, can be snide but can be silky.

Think someone like Tonali would be one my shortlist now along with someone like Zakaria to be cover for Fab.

Would be quite happy to have Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho being covered by Tonali, Jones and Zakaria. Like the idea of having a robust trio of back ups that have a bit of size to them along with no shortage in ability plus all being young or youngish so would be there for the long haul.
Exactly.
Old 16-04-21, 05:33 AM   #725
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I'm not a huge fan of Thiago, I'd prefer someone like Harvey Barnes at Leicester or Bissouma at Brighton.
Old 16-04-21, 10:45 AM   #726
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Thiago, I'd prefer someone like Harvey Barnes at Leicester or Bissouma at Brighton.

Isn't Barnes a winger/wideman and Bissouma a DM usually but when he plays as a CM is is closer in style to Wijnaldum?

Do you mean Maddison at Leicester and not Barnes maybe? Maddison would their more advanced midfielder usually.

To be fair to Leicester they do have some quality in the centre in Nddidi, Tielemans, and Maddison and in that order too for me.

Old 16-04-21, 10:48 AM   #727
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Nah Barnes, he'd be the drive from midfield that we thought Ox used to bring. He's also has a decent shot on him.
Old 16-04-21, 11:08 AM   #728
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Nah Barnes, he'd be the drive from midfield that we thought Ox used to bring. He's also has a decent shot on him.

Might as well play Jota or Mane there then if you want to play a winger where Thiago plays and save on the 50 or 60 million a wideman like Barnes would cost.

Old 16-04-21, 07:17 PM   #729
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Quote:
Might as well play Jota or Mane there then if you want to play a winger where Thiago plays and save on the 50 or 60 million a wideman like Barnes would cost.
Mbappe can play there
Peter_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 11:22 AM   #730
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

I reckon he'll be off at the end of the season.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 11:25 AM   #731
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Based on what?
Old 26-04-21, 11:27 AM   #732
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Gut feeling.

He's gone from the best/one of the best midfielders in the world, to a fairly average Joe. The pace is too much for him.

Let him go and lord it up at Juve or somewhere.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 11:31 AM   #733
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Gut feeling.

He's gone from the best/one of the best midfielders in the world, to a fairly average Joe. The pace is too much for him.

I get that but there's a lot of our team who have gone from being brilliant to poor in a period of 12 months. There's something wider happening. Against Newcastle there was a moment where he received the ball just outside the box, looked left and right and there was absolutely no movement from the forwards and no runs from midfield. There was literally nothing on at all. Not sure what he is meant to do with that.
Old 26-04-21, 11:41 AM   #734
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
I get that but there's a lot of our team who have gone from being brilliant to poor in a period of 12 months. There's something wider happening. Against Newcastle there was a moment where he received the ball just outside the box, looked left and right and there was absolutely no movement from the forwards and no runs from midfield. There was literally nothing on at all. Not sure what he is meant to do with that.
He could have done one of those 40 yard passes into the top bin the dull minded twat.
Old 26-04-21, 11:47 AM   #735
Pepe79
Shankly

We’ve enough holes to fill in midfield without losing Thiago too.
Gini is already off. Many have packed Keita’s bags for him. Ox is basically Lallana at this stage.

No way Thiago is gone as well after one difficult season with a boatload of extenuating reasons.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 11:56 AM   #736
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Gut feeling.

Don't think he will leave unless he is having issues settling, but if he did I think it would be to go back to Bayern. They have missed him badly in the middle the season just gone despite the quality they still have.

Think next season though if we have players back we will see him looking closer to how he was at Bayern.

There he played as part of a trio with Kimmich and Goretzka, and those two did a lot of the shielding and defensive for him. We have two players who play in similar roles in Fabinho and Henderson. Think that Bayern style of midfield play was what Klopp was aiming for this season before the injuries started racking up.

Think we have a number of less effective midfielders, either through lack of impact when they play play and/or general unavailablity, that I think may either be moved on or fall further down the pecking order before Thiago does.

We very much need some fresh blood in the middle though, as our cover is either moving on, getting old or just usually out injured a lot. My own preference would be if Wijnaldum goes (which seems like it is happening ) then also move Chamberlain and Keita on as well and bring in two like Zakaria and Tonali as that would add size, height, mobility, a reduction in age, skill and grit.

Wijnaldum, Keita and Chamberlain would be out of the squad and the three back ups would be Tonali, Zakaria and Jones plus we would probably still have Milner floating about should he not try to get a move to finish his career at Leeds.

Old 26-04-21, 11:56 AM   #737
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
The thing is we created loads of chances vs Newcastle so creating from Midfield wasnt an option, I thought Thiago had a great game for once.

I think even the players just have to write this season off and go again next.
Old 26-04-21, 12:03 PM   #738
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
We’ve enough holes to fill in midfield without losing Thiago too.
Gini is already off. Many have packed Keita’s bags for him. Ox is basically Lallana at this stage.

No way Thiago is gone as well after one difficult season with a boatload of extenuating reasons.
He needs a fit Hendo and Fabinho around him so he can concentrate on his game and not run around firefighting.
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 12:59 PM   #739
RichC
Meh

He's clearly a very talented player but I do worry he's a bit of A Veron where he's absolute class but the pace of this league is too much for him.

Don't think he'll be off in the Summer unless he wants to go though.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 01:25 PM   #740
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Yeah, I don’t know whether he’ll really come good, but I would be amazed if he wasn’t given another season.
Old 26-04-21, 01:26 PM   #741
Tribute
Shankly

He's made more tackles (and mistimed a fair few) than others in that midfield three... so I don't think it's the pace of the game. It's more him doing a role that isn't what he was doing in Bayern.

Technically, it's clear he's a cut above the others and his vision for a short, forward incisive pass is very apparent. He's just suffering like the rest of them without a settled side playing in their proper positions.

If we didn't have the injuries we've had this season, both him and Jota would have been seen as great additions to an already talented squad...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 01:35 PM   #742
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I hope he stays and helps Jones become a world class midfielder.
Old 26-04-21, 01:48 PM   #743
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
He's clearly a very talented player but I do worry he's a bit of A Veron where he's absolute class but the pace of this league is too much for him.

Don't think he'll be off in the Summer unless he wants to go though.
Oddly enough I was thinking of the Veron type comparison after the game at the weekend, he's clearly a talented player but doesn't look suited to this league based on what we've seen so far. Hopefully he will prove us wrong next year in a more settled side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Yeah, I don’t know whether he’ll really come good, but I would be amazed if he wasn’t given another season.
As you both say I would be amazed if he isn't here next year, only way I can see that happening is if he hasn't settled and wants out or someone puts in an offer that is too good to refuse (but I don't see that happening).
Old 26-04-21, 02:46 PM   #744
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He is amusingly slow.

Played well on Saturday though.
Old 26-04-21, 11:17 PM   #745
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
He needs a fit Hendo and Fabinho around him so he can concentrate on his game and not run around firefighting.
A midfield of Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago? How many goals are in that trio? 3 between them? Just piles more pressure on the front 3. Absolutely nothing solved with that solution I'm afraid.
Old 27-04-21, 09:19 AM   #746
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
A midfield of Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago? How many goals are in that trio? 3 between them? Just piles more pressure on the front 3. Absolutely nothing solved with that solution I'm afraid.
Not sure I agree.

That trio in midfield enables our full backs to play so high up the pitch. The formation almost becomes 2-5-3.

Also we press a lot better, get the ball back and send our forwards through again. And again. And again.

I do agree that if Mane and Firmino have equally shit years next season though that we will continue to struggle.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 09:51 AM   #747
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

And how many goals come from the fullbacks? Not many, especially from the left.
Old 27-04-21, 11:01 AM   #748
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
In terms of goals we're down on goals in almost every position IMO:

Robertson - 1 goal - under performing (can't shoot but should still get 2/3 season)
CBs - 0 league goals from any of them - (feels like we'll never score from a corner ever again)
Trent - slight under performing (arguable, but based on his talent I think he should get a few more a season)

Fabinho - 0 goals - (would expect him to score 2/3 but he's been moved about so much I can let that slide)
Wijnaldum - 2 goals - maybe slightly-underperforming (not his role to score regularly, but he's capable of a few more)
Thiago - 0 goals - slightly-underperforming (same as Gini really)
Henderson - 1 goal (obviously injuries, but he's another low scoring midfielder)

Mane - 8 goals - majorly underperforming
Firmino - 6 goals - majorly underperforming
Salah - 20 - Slightly overperforming
Jota - 8 goals - Slightly overperforming

We definitely have a long-standing problem with goals from midfield IMO. I'd argue only Jones could help with that but that's all potential at the moment.

We also equally have a problem with goals from CB. We used to get quite a few from Virgil and Matip, even Lovren would get a couple. That well has completely dried up and losing those "easy" goals from set-pieces is a killer.

As for fullbacks, I think Trent could get a couple more, but Robertson is a shambles. His shooting is as bad as my driving, shanks all day long. Both chipping in with a few more would be a big help.

In summary, it's hard to pin much blame on Thiago when so many others also aren't scoring nearly enough.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 12:15 PM   #749
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

The pace is a concern, he's so slow but I thought he was excellent vs Newcastle lots of snappy defence splitting passes up to our blunt strikers. Whether or not he can push on in the prem next season & look like the player we thought we were getting time will tell but he's going nowhere imo.

Agree with above that the lack of goals from other areas, especially the midfield is an issue. I think the fact that Firmino & Mane have played so poorly this season and their production have been so poor that it is highlighting the lack of production elsewhere in the side.
Old 27-04-21, 12:30 PM   #750
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
The pace is a concern, he's so slow but I thought he was excellent vs Newcastle lots of snappy defence splitting passes up to our blunt strikers. Whether or not he can push on in the prem next season & look like the player we thought we were getting time will tell but he's going nowhere imo.

Agree with above that the lack of goals from other areas, especially the midfield is an issue. I think the fact that Firmino & Mane have played so poorly this season and their production have been so poor that it is highlighting the lack of production elsewhere in the side.

I do not see his pace as a concern tbh.

He does seem a little off it pace wise compared to last season with Bayern, but the guys is in a new country at a new club where the first team has been disjointed for months and is coming off of a bad injury and also from having had covid 19.

Put him in with a fully functional team with movement around him and he will use the ball to be his pace.

Even at Bayern the centre of midfield was never a big goal source so him, Fabinho and Henderson look well placed to be a dominating style centre for us that will allow us to dictate play and both force and protect a high line. Think with that trio in the middle and a back line with the regulars back, we would see the team look a lot more solid and be better equipped to put pressure on iother teams compared to now.

What we do need though, imo, is a few new midfielders to come in over the next transfer window or two and replace Wijnaldum and a couple of the unreliables. That way we still have the quality and experience of the likes of Fab, Henderson and Thiago , but have the younger legs and aggression of Jones and a couple new midfielders.

Old 27-04-21, 12:47 PM   #751
danperkins

Quote:

He does seem a little off it pace wise compared to last season with Bayern, but the guys is in a new country at a new club where the first team has been disjointed for months and is coming off of a bad injury and also from having had covid 19.

Put him in with a fully functional team with movement around him and he will use the ball to be his pace.

Even at Bayern the centre of midfield was never a big goal source so him, Fabinho and Henderson look well placed to be a dominating style centre for us that will allow us to dictate play and both force and protect a high line. Think with that trio in the middle and a back line with the regulars back, we would see the team look a lot more solid and be better equipped to put pressure on iother teams compared to now.

What we do need though, imo, is a few new midfielders to come in over the next transfer window or two and replace Wijnaldum and a couple of the unreliables. That way we still have the quality and experience of the likes of Fab, Henderson and Thiago , but have the younger legs and aggression of Jones and a couple new midfielders.
that's fair enough. I'm more interested in Thiago moving the ball around quickly more so than him being quick across the ground. Quick snappy passes to the front lads & I thought he did that very well vs Newcastle. Our movement to receive the ball imo has been one of the most frustrating aspects of this season as even if you have a pass master, the lads still need to get into positions to receive the ball.

I have been disappointed with his overall performance this season I think I have expressed that. I think most LFC supporters would agree but then again I have been disappointed with most of our lads, so hard to single out anyone in particular. It has just been a really shit season all round, I'm exhausted by it to be honest. When we have all our lads to choose from and maybe a few new additions, then I will judge Thiago & I think we will less less donkey work and more craft from him. This season has just been fucked so I am going to erase any memory of it from my mind for ever and ever and ever... amen.
Old 27-04-21, 01:22 PM   #752
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
that's fair enough. I'm more interested in Thiago moving the ball around quickly more so than him being quick across the ground. Quick snappy passes to the front lads & I thought he did that very well vs Newcastle. Our movement to receive the ball imo has been one of the most frustrating aspects of this season as even if you have a pass master, the lads still need to get into positions to receive the ball.

I have been disappointed with his overall performance this season I think I have expressed that. I think most LFC supporters would agree but then again I have been disappointed with most of our lads, so hard to single out anyone in particular. It has just been a really shit season all round, I'm exhausted by it to be honest. When we have all our lads to choose from and maybe a few new additions, then I will judge Thiago & I think we will less less donkey work and more craft from him. This season has just been fucked so I am going to erase any memory of it from my mind for ever and ever and ever... amen.

Think of the one thing that Thiago both thrives on and enhances when it is there around him.

Movement.

The guy is brilliant at spotting runs and finding the runners. Does not matter if he has time to think and weigh up the pass or if he takes a one touch pass that flies just ahead of the run so the runner runs onto the pass.

What is the one thing we have had hardly any of since late December?

Movement.

We have been one paced and sluggish up front with pretty much no runners from midfield and our width from the full backs since Decemeber has been patchy at best and awful at worst.

Bayern the last few season were very good against teams that came at them and were pretty good against teams that applied the low block. Quite similar to us at times in how they set up and went at teams.

Thiago is missing from Bayern this season and what is giving them more issues than the past few seasons? The low block teams.

Now Bayern have had the massive advantage over us in that whilst they are missing Thiago they still have had either a full team or very good back ups available, but the low block and the long ball down the middle has troubled them more than in other seasons.

Now that is not me saying Thiago is Superman and was the sole reason that did not happen too often when he was at Bayern, but what I am saying is that Thiago is a the sort of player that becomes the glue in the centre and he allows the better players in the team that bit more time as he finds them quicker with the ball and he sees their clever runs, he also is an outlet for the players that shield and defend as he will show for the ball even when under pressure and be a relief valve of sorts for those defending players.

He is also what I think gets termed as being a multiplier, in that what he does on the pitch, that getting the ball to the better players quicker or being there so a defender can release a ball quicker etc., increases the chances of other players playing to their own highest ability and the knock on effect being the team as a whole all playing better as more and more parts start playing to the best of their ability.

We have also not really seen jim in the role he played in for both Barca and Bayern. In most of his games for us he has been in roles that the likes of Kimmich or Fabinho would play in, and he has no genuine bos to box midfielder to spark off of either like he had in Goretzka and would have had in Henderson. Wijnaldum has shown very few signs of being a box to box guy other than when he is in an orange shirt rather than a red one with the exception of the second leg against Real. Milner does not have the legs to do that job on a regular basis. Jones is still learning and has had a few knocks. Keita and Chamberlain have been either injured or not trusted to do it.

Thiago in many ways is like Xabi Alonso albeit maybe in an even less eye catching way. He does the basics excellently and when he gets a lot of movement around him he will ping passes around like the pitch like a artist putting brushstrokes to canvas. The guy just sees the gaps and runs when they are there.

The flipside of that ability is that when there is no movement, no runs, no clever play and a generaly disjointedness to a team, then he reverts to just doing the basics well and racking up lots of accurate but safe passes and ends up playing down to the level of what is happening around him.

In many ways he is the muse rather than the artist and I think a lot thought when we signed him that he was going to be the artist based maybe on havng heard of him rather than having seen him play.

Old 27-04-21, 01:45 PM   #753
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Goals directly from Robbo it is true - not enough goals.

But assists? Before this season he was up there with Trent.

It is also surely about the organised chaos that it all causes? The protection of Hendo and Fab in the middle (along with Gini or soon to be Thiago) means that the full backs can get forward more and more. And when Virgil and Joe were back providing even more protection, then it was even more so. I think this season we have been fucked over on many fronts - the defensive injuries meant the midfield re-deployments which fucked us. But the sudden drop off in attacking potency really compounded the whole thing.
Old 27-04-21, 01:47 PM   #754
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:

Old 27-04-21, 01:58 PM   #755
Tribute
Shankly

Thiago's pace is a red herring. Molby was fucking awesome and he had the pace of a tanker turning. The ability to move the ball quickly into pockets of space up ahead with great movement of the front three is what will (next season, if not this) help us win more games.

The domino effect of injuries has just fucked the season - defensive injuries, moving midfielders into CB roles, losing midfield press and energy, front three misfiring all over the place. Ali has been back to his best for the last couple of games but he's not been immune to the stutter in form either... he's had far more unenforced errors this season and his kicking mid-season was dire... always going out of play. We've had the 'heebie-jeebies' this season and it's washed right through the whole team.

With big Virg, Hendo and a couple of others back long-term, we should settle into a more stable, high energy outfit again. A couple of signings in the summer and we're good to go.

Fuck this season right off though... Europa next season would be a 'mare. Would rather finish eighth and have no midweek games in the arse end of nowhere for our lads to get daft injuries again...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 02:19 PM   #756
danperkins

Quote:
Think of the one thing that Thiago both thrives on and enhances when it is there around him.

Movement.

The guy is brilliant at spotting runs and finding the runners. Does not matter if he has time to think and weigh up the pass or if he takes a one touch pass that flies just ahead of the run so the runner runs onto the pass.

What is the one thing we have had hardly any of since late December?

Movement.

We have been one paced and sluggish up front with pretty much no runners from midfield and our width from the full backs since Decemeber has been patchy at best and awful at worst.

Bayern the last few season were very good against teams that came at them and were pretty good against teams that applied the low block. Quite similar to us at times in how they set up and went at teams.

Thiago is missing from Bayern this season and what is giving them more issues than the past few seasons? The low block teams.

Now Bayern have had the massive advantage over us in that whilst they are missing Thiago they still have had either a full team or very good back ups available, but the low block and the long ball down the middle has troubled them more than in other seasons.

Now that is not me saying Thiago is Superman and was the sole reason that did not happen too often when he was at Bayern, but what I am saying is that Thiago is a the sort of player that becomes the glue in the centre and he allows the better players in the team that bit more time as he finds them quicker with the ball and he sees their clever runs, he also is an outlet for the players that shield and defend as he will show for the ball even when under pressure and be a relief valve of sorts for those defending players.

He is also what I think gets termed as being a multiplier, in that what he does on the pitch, that getting the ball to the better players quicker or being there so a defender can release a ball quicker etc., increases the chances of other players playing to their own highest ability and the knock on effect being the team as a whole all playing better as more and more parts start playing to the best of their ability.

We have also not really seen jim in the role he played in for both Barca and Bayern. In most of his games for us he has been in roles that the likes of Kimmich or Fabinho would play in, and he has no genuine bos to box midfielder to spark off of either like he had in Goretzka and would have had in Henderson. Wijnaldum has shown very few signs of being a box to box guy other than when he is in an orange shirt rather than a red one with the exception of the second leg against Real. Milner does not have the legs to do that job on a regular basis. Jones is still learning and has had a few knocks. Keita and Chamberlain have been either injured or not trusted to do it.

Thiago in many ways is like Xabi Alonso albeit maybe in an even less eye catching way. He does the basics excellently and when he gets a lot of movement around him he will ping passes around like the pitch like a artist putting brushstrokes to canvas. The guy just sees the gaps and runs when they are there.

The flipside of that ability is that when there is no movement, no runs, no clever play and a generaly disjointedness to a team, then he reverts to just doing the basics well and racking up lots of accurate but safe passes and ends up playing down to the level of what is happening around him.

In many ways he is the muse rather than the artist and I think a lot thought when we signed him that he was going to be the artist based maybe on havng heard of him rather than having seen him play.
I wouldn't disagree with any of that & both us and I would imagine most LFC supporters can agree to is that the lack of movement and the lack of desire to create an option for a pass or even to create space has been as glaring as any of the others reasons we have failed this season.

I very disappointed in this season and I am meh about the remaining games if I'm honest. Football and this last 12 months in general have just been utterly exhausting. We don't deserve to make 4th and I have it in my head that we won't either. If we somehow manage to get that champs league spot I will be delighted but we have some serious work to do next season.
Old 27-04-21, 02:36 PM   #757
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with any of that & both us and I would imagine most LFC supporters can agree to is that the lack of movement and the lack of desire to create an option for a pass or even to create space has been as glaring as any of the others reasons we have failed this season.

I very disappointed in this season and I am meh about the remaining games if I'm honest. Football and this last 12 months in general have just been utterly exhausting. We don't deserve to make 4th and I have it in my head that we won't either. If we somehow manage to get that champs league spot I will be delighted but we have some serious work to do next season.

I disagree slightly on that bit or at least maybe on how you phrased it.

It may be more than a bit of a cliche to say, but the league table come the end of a season does not lie.

Wherever we finish, be it 4th, be it 6th be it 8th, then that is what we deserved.

Old 27-04-21, 07:39 PM   #758
danperkins

Quote:
I disagree slightly on that bit or at least maybe on how you phrased it.

It may be more than a bit of a cliche to say, but the league table come the end of a season does not lie.

Wherever we finish, be it 4th, be it 6th be it 8th, then that is what we deserved.
Normally I would agree that the league table doesn't lie but do you think Man United deserve to finish 2nd? Because imo they have been utterly blessed and have got so many favorable decisions this season... I have lost count. They will finish 2nd place and I just cannot see how it is deserved considering what has gone on. Sure if we finish 4th happy days, I just can't see it to be honest the last two results have killed us imo.
Old 27-04-21, 07:54 PM   #759
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Yes, they do deserve 2nd. They’ve been the second best side this season. They’ve not always been pretty but they keep going for 90 mins and adapt well to the opposition, with the ability to dominate games against shite or play effectively on the counter.

Last edited by Kenneth; 27-04-21 at 08:00 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 07:57 PM   #760
red g
Paisley

Have to agree they have been the least shittest out of everyone behind City.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC