It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 11-04-21, 07:37 AM   #321
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
It's usually at home against a defensive team where we've been having issues. Not been having issues scoring away from home.
Bielsa is not an idiot - I suspect long balls over our midfield to take pressing out of the game and exploit our high line.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 08:32 AM   #322
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Bielsa is not an idiot - I suspect long balls over our midfield to take pressing out of the game and exploit our high line.
Id have thought that someone at LFC Towers would have asked the defence not to play too far up now we dont have gomez and vvd to easily cover those long balls.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 08:36 AM   #323
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
We've done a good job of taking our own pressing out of the game this season
Old 11-04-21, 08:55 AM   #324
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Id have thought that someone at LFC Towers would have asked the defence not to play too far up now we dont have gomez and vvd to easily cover those long balls.

We canít. If our high line plays deeper, weíre basically losing the ability to press and play on the front foot and the gap between our lines will get bigger. If we stay compact it will be from the perspective of 10 feet further down and weíll let opposing teams play from the back as our front line will have to retreat as well.
Old 11-04-21, 09:08 AM   #325
Fredo

Compressing the play is part of our game and I donít think thatís ever gonna change under Klopp. The key to avoid this is to counter press well and to keep the ball. The times when weíve had problems are when one of these two elements have gone missing.
Old 11-04-21, 10:55 AM   #326
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Compressing the play is part of our game and I donít think thatís ever gonna change under Klopp. The key to avoid this is to counter press well and to keep the ball. The times when weíve had problems are when one of these two elements have gone missing.
True and also having players who are comfortable defending wide open spaces and rotating in midfield
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 11:19 AM   #327
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
We canít. If our high line plays deeper, weíre basically losing the ability to press and play on the front foot and the gap between our lines will get bigger. If we stay compact it will be from the perspective of 10 feet further down and weíll let opposing teams play from the back as our front line will have to retreat as well.

Good point, we drop deeper and we need to switch to being more a counter attacking team than a team that forces transitions by pressing high.

Think if we do that a lot of teams simply will not come out at us and continue to use a low block against us and it will end up being a war of attrition between two teams sitting deep.

Plus other teams will be better drilled at sitting deep and using a low block so we try to go down that route and there is a higher chance that we as the team with less practise in playing that way would be the first of the two teams to make an error.

Think what I would be trying is to change something with regards to the more advanced personnel be it tactically and/or in terms of who starts to try and tweak what we are doing in terms of ball retention and also in terms of faster transistions of play. Think I would also try to mix it up a bit by encoruaging some players to shot from distance more often as we rarely do so and it would add some unpredicability to to our attacking threat. Teams are, imo, too used to us us passing the ball back and forth in front of a low block. We just keep swicthing play from left to right and right to left looking for a perfect pass, whereas someone being prepared to take a shot from 20 yards a bit more often would force the team sitting deep to commit a player or two to come out to block the potential shot which in turn may create a little space or force an error or the shot may result in a goal or a dropped save.

Just seems that we play the percentages as soon as we reach the final third an awful lot since January and nearly always we go with the safer pass now.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 11:27 AM   #328
Fredo

Think better quality in terms of ball players would help. Take City for example, they have players like Mahrez, Foden and Silva who have that ability to keep the ball and create and are direct and help in transition. We just donít have the backup when the first choice front 6 arenít performing and the ability to rotate and keep everyone fresh which is paramount with our system, what Nev alluded to in his previous post. The system is not in doubt but the personnel is. Take our current centre halves and itís clear they have limitations in that system and thereís no way weíd change the system to accommodate them.
Old 11-04-21, 11:31 AM   #329
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

There were a few examples yesterday of how the 6th string CB pairing affects the entire team. In possession a slightly misplaced pass from defence or a loose long ball puts us in trouble. The next pass is rushed or further misplaced giving away possession. As soon as we have lost control or if we give the ball away quickly we can be put in trouble. Phillips is doing a brilliant job as a defender, but as a distributor he is miles off. Kabak is slightly better. Slightly.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 11:40 AM   #330
Fredo

Vs Real I would drop Fabinho back and play him with Kabak, but on the condition that we have Naby playing close to his potential, or Jones for that matter as they are similar players. Itís crucial we are very good in possession and in transition against these lot. I know itís a controversial view but I completely get what Klopp was trying to do earlier with Fab and Hendo in defence. In theory, a midfield 3 of Gini, Thiago and Jones or Naby is good enough with Fab and Kabak in defence. Whether that translates to actual results is something else though.
Old 11-04-21, 12:00 PM   #331
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
There were a few examples yesterday of how the 6th string CB pairing affects the entire team. In possession a slightly misplaced pass from defence or a loose long ball puts us in trouble. The next pass is rushed or further misplaced giving away possession. As soon as we have lost control or if we give the ball away quickly we can be put in trouble. Phillips is doing a brilliant job as a defender, but as a distributor he is miles off. Kabak is slightly better. Slightly.
Lots of the misplaced passes were from Milner and Gini. It was Milner’s poor pass down the left that started their attack for the goal, followed by a poor clearance from Kabak. ie it was poor passing from midfield putting pressure on a weakened defence. There were indeed some ropey examples from the CBs, but conceding possession cheaply seems to be a problem throughout the team. Gini doing it twice in a few seconds stands out in my memory, and pretty much every Trent pass that wasn’t a cross.
Old 11-04-21, 12:03 PM   #332
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Vs Real I would drop Fabinho back and play him with Kabak, but on the condition that we have Naby playing close to his potential, or Jones for that matter as they are similar players. Itís crucial we are very good in possession and in transition against these lot. I know itís a controversial view but I completely get what Klopp was trying to do earlier with Fab and Hendo in defence. In theory, a midfield 3 of Gini, Thiago and Jones or Naby is good enough with Fab and Kabak in defence. Whether that translates to actual results is something else though.

Against a lesser team than Real then maybe, but as we have seen this season we look a lot less solid in the centre when Fabinho is not there, plus Wijnaldum and Keita, the former in particular, have been very poor of late, especially in terms of misplacing passes etc.

Real are going to to be starting three from Kroos, Modric, Valverde, Asensio and Isco whilst still having Casemiro on the pitch sitting in front of a very mobile stand in back three. No way would I want Fabinho not starting in our midfield.

For me I would be going with Fabinho, Thiago and, if he is past that muscle strain, Jones in the middle.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 12:18 PM   #333
BigChief
Paisley

How nice does it feel for the ball to finally bounce just once for us again? Normally Robertson's shot would had a thinner parry and Salah would have been too far behind to finish it. But this time the parry finally landed exactly in his path. And he didn't head it over (Mane would have, sadly).

7 more games to win and make this season an acceptable one with hope of CL to entice new purchases.
Old 11-04-21, 12:47 PM   #334
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Lots of the misplaced passes were from Milner and Gini. It was Milner’s poor pass down the left that started their attack for the goal, followed by a poor clearance from Kabak. ie it was poor passing from midfield putting pressure on a weakened defence. There were indeed some ropey examples from the CBs, but conceding possession cheaply seems to be a problem throughout the team. Gini doing it twice in a few seconds stands out in my memory, and pretty much every Trent pass that wasn’t a cross.
I think it starts from the back though. That’s where we get control. The remainder can be a domino effect. But also, yeah, we were giving away possession throughout the team. Gini also has been very guilty last two games. Almost as if his mind is else where!

System wise, I don’t think we have any issues. We have perhaps realised squad wise we have been lucky to avoid too many major injuries until this season.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC