It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-06-21, 12:12 AM   #9001
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Respect to Paul but zero respect for the both of them. This was no better than WWF.
Old 09-07-21, 09:22 AM   #9002
RichC
Meh

Fury vs Wilder postponed then. Covid case in the Fury camp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57770810
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 10:06 AM   #9003
spud_gun
Paisley

It's Fury that's tested positive?

Understandable that the fight has been postponed then

Given that Joshua isn't fighting till late September I was slightly sceptical at the prospect of Fury fighting in July then having an 10 month lay off before fighting Joshua in May / June of next year (provided they both win)
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 10:18 AM   #9004
RichC
Meh

Yeah, looks like it's Fury then was reported as being someone in the camp but it's clearly him! :
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 11:25 AM   #9005
fidget
Shankly

I'm amazed it's taken him so long to catch it to be honest.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 11:39 AM   #9006
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
I'm amazed it's taken him so long to catch it to be honest.
Why?
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 01:45 PM   #9007
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Why?
He doesn't strike me as the type to adhere to social distancing etc.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-21, 11:24 PM   #9008
labourRed
Shankly

First time I saw Andy Cruz today. What a talent that fella is. Shame he'll probably be a amateur all his days.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-21, 02:16 AM   #9009
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Serious question - Is Jake Paul a decent boxer?
Old 31-08-21, 12:44 PM   #9010
paulg
Dalglish

He's not a decent anything.
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-21, 10:35 PM   #9011
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
He's not a decent anything.
Old 12-09-21, 12:49 PM   #9012
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is embarrassing. A disgrace. Holyfield is 58 ffs. Everyone involved in putting this on should be ashamed.

Old 12-09-21, 01:20 PM   #9013
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This is embarrassing. A disgrace. Holyfield is 58 ffs. Everyone involved in putting this on should be ashamed.

Vitor Belfort vs Evander Holyfield Highlights - YouTube
It's a joke. I can't handle any of these "exhibitions". They're putting the sport into further disrepute. Freakshows popping up all over the place in the name of boxing. I refuse to watch any of them. Thought this article I read yesterday sums it up nicely.

Quote:
Heads Should Roll For Evander Holyfield Farce
https://www.boxingscene.com/heads-ro...OYFAXv4EEaBBWc

There were probably some who were looking forward to seeing Oscar De La Hoya in his comeback oddity fight with former MMA star Vitor Belfort.

It was due to happen on Saturday (September 11) but when the former boxing hero came down with Covid-19 the former world super-featherweight champion was replaced by the former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield.

Well, De La Hoya admitted he felt his career was over as a fighter halfway through the Floyd Mayweather fight 14 years ago. Holyfield was telling me in the last couple of years that he knew the right time to get out of the sport came when Andy Ruiz was kicking his ass in sparring.

But now, as the long-retired warrior nears his 59th birthday, he fights again.

This, however, is not just any 58-year-old man but one who has taken thousands upon thousands of blows to the head.

An amateur for 10 years, he boxed as a pro from 1984 to 2011. He was in wild shootouts at cruiserweight and heavyweight. His back catalogue of wars with Dwight Qawi, Riddick Bowe, Bert Cooper, Mike Tyson and Ray Mercer stacks up against just about any other fighter in terms of entertainment. Then there were fights with Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis, George Foreman, Larry Holmes and, as he got older and slower, John Ruiz, James Toney, Chris Byrd and Nikolai Valuev.

But by the end of his career, you could tell he was no longer the same fighter or the same man. His speech pattern had changed and he simply couldn’t do what he had done in his prime. He was growing old.

Plenty of commissions wouldn’t license him because, ultimately, they feared for his safety.

Yet here we go, boxing in 2021 rolls the dice with sideshow after freak show in events dressed as boxing matches but that are really curiosities rather than true sporting contests.

Florida has ludicrously sanctioned his fight with Belfort and it’s as outrageous as anything that’s gone on in recent weeks, be it the Oscar Valdez fiasco or anything else.

Because even if Holyfield fights, wins, loses or draws and whether the fight is good, bad or ugly a near-60-year-old man shouldn’t be doing this let alone one with Holyfield’s extraordinary mileage.

It’s cliched to say one punch can change anything but that is accurate. It’s also accurate to say there are links from boxing to chronic brain injuries and illnesses such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, dementia and ALS. You hate to speculate about who might or might not be at risk down the line but Holyfield should have been tracked by neurologists for more than a decade by now and they should have been able to monitor his brain function through a series of annual cognitive tests.

Damage from contact sports, including boxing, can remain hidden for years but ultimately the build of toxic protein in the brain from repeated trauma will start to compromise brain function and ultimately start to close the body down.

Holyfield has taken enough.

There might be some who think the choice is his to make, and it’s his life. But his age and past history makes him exceptionally vulnerable.

Of course, there are genuinely people who think they are helping these old guys by training them and managing them, that they’re trying to do their best by them and keeping them as safe as possible. Unfortunately, their lack of knowledge makes them both culpable and guilty. They are aiding and they are abetting.

As well-meaning as they might be – and sure, plenty will only be hanging around for money, selfies and a few moments in the spotlight – they are doing more harm than good. Even if no one else wants anything to do with the old timers and the top trainers won’t work with them, the top promoters won’t promote them and the major networks won’t broadcast them and no one is any longer looking out for them, by helping them get another payday, be it sparring or fighting or both, they are making an already bad situation far worse. They’re not allowing the fighter to get on with his life, to start a new trade, to change their focus, they wind up living off past glories doing the one thing they could do but no longer should be allowed to do.

Sure, it still boils down to choice but the risk goes up enormously if a near 59-year-old is boxing rather than a 29-year-old. This is a simple physical fact.

VADA, the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association is run by Dr. Margaret Goodman, an experienced voice in boxing, a deserved Hall of Famer who cares about the fighters and, arguably most importantly, is a neurologist. The VADA twitter account tweeted this week:

“After 40 our brain shrinks on average 5% per decade. This means the bridging veins connecting the brain to its coverings are at increased risk of brain bleeds when [the] head is hit.”

Saturday night in Florida is not boxing. This is not sport. This is science and these are facts.

Whoever is enabling this monstrosity – in any way, shape or form – should hang their heads and never be allowed to be involved with boxing again because they clearly don’t give a damn about what should be their priority, and that is fighter safety.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 01:20 PM   #9014
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

That fight and all the other joke fights are a disgrace imo.

Years back you had people like Ali have exibition bouts but they were clearly seen as not being real fights.

These days you have shit like this, shit like McGregor or Youtube idiots all climbing into the ring and people treating it like it is real.

And you have all these idiots making more money from these freakshows that actual boxers who earn a fraction of the same money for having to train hard and fight for real.

Just another nail in the coffin for boxing imho.
Old 12-09-21, 01:27 PM   #9015
Zapater
Dalglish

Anyone watch the Christy Martin documentary on Netflix? I'm not big on women's boxing. Not because I'm anti it, more because I seldom find the fights quality. So naturally, I didn't follow her career - always put it down to her being decent and them feeding her journeymen, a bum of the month kind of thing. Either way, thought it was a really good watch.
Old 16-09-21, 12:53 PM   #9016
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Really enjoyed this. From the bigot of a few years ago, I have to say he's won me over in a big way. A likeable bloke.

Old 16-09-21, 01:00 PM   #9017
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Really enjoyed this. From the bigot of a few years ago, I have to say he's won me over in a big way. A likeable bloke.

Tyson Fury shares all on Anthony Joshua, Deontay Wilder & more to Gary Neville | The Overlap - YouTube

Every few year he does one of those redemption type interviews. I'm just a regular bloke who said stuff I regret and a lot of what I say is for the cameras blah blah blah.

Then the mask slips and the sexist, homophobic nasty comments come out again and a few years later another I'm a regular bloke interview comes out.

Man has shown too many times how backwards and ignorant some of his views are to now think he is anything but.

Even a bigot can pretend to be decent for a short span of time.

Plus that self appointed paragon of all that is right Neville is there so that is another strike.
Old 18-09-21, 01:02 PM   #9018
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Every few year he does one of those redemption type interviews. I'm just a regular bloke who said stuff I regret and a lot of what I say is for the cameras blah blah blah.

Then the mask slips and the sexist, homophobic nasty comments come out again and a few years later another I'm a regular bloke interview comes out.

Man has shown too many times how backwards and ignorant some of his views are to now think he is anything but.

Even a bigot can pretend to be decent for a short span of time.

Plus that self appointed paragon of all that is right Neville is there so that is another strike.
Absolute cunt. He beats Wilder and suddenly everyone thinks he's a good guy. Hermann Göring gave some pretty good sound bites, guess I'd have him round for a few pints.

I'm a bit disappointed with Neville for this one. Thought he was quite brave to stand up to Sky on the racism thing a few years back after that Chelsea game. If he's doing an interview out of his field and pretending to be a journalist a quick "you've said some controversial things in the past, do you cringe looking back at that?" or something like that. Fury gets a free pass.

Also there is no evidence that he is a "former bigot" and changed his views. He just hasn't spoken on the subject. Pretty sure you put a bible in his hand, get him going and the bullshit will start flowing freely.

Also his hypocrisy about "smashing them all to bits". You've fought Wlad in his worst night in 20 years, Wilder, Chisora and Cunningham. That's it. Plus that Wallin fight only had a couple of rounds in it. So he's beat 4 fighters and 20 odd taxi drivers, now he's amazing. It's a shit division but there are harder fights than he's had out there. Fair play, he was due to fight Haye twice and those fights didn't happen. I'm positive Haye would've won them if not for the injuries. I'm not saying that the division is good because it's pure shit but over the last 10 years there have been better than Pianeta, Kevin Johnson and Tom fucking Schwarz FFS.

Seeing this is the boxing thread - see Caleb Plant is next in with Canelo. Any bets on how much Canelo "hydrates" to? Probably weighs in on the button and comes in a cruiserweight on the night. Yawn the current crop (promoters and fighters) make it so hard to watch these days. So little to look forward to. Crawford vs Porter is possibly the only fight I'm keen to see this year.
Old 18-09-21, 01:36 PM   #9019
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Absolute cunt. He beats Wilder and suddenly everyone thinks he's a good guy. Hermann Göring gave some pretty good sound bites, guess I'd have him round for a few pints.

I'm a bit disappointed with Neville for this one. Thought he was quite brave to stand up to Sky on the racism thing a few years back after that Chelsea game. If he's doing an interview out of his field and pretending to be a journalist a quick "you've said some controversial things in the past, do you cringe looking back at that?" or something like that. Fury gets a free pass.

Also there is no evidence that he is a "former bigot" and changed his views. He just hasn't spoken on the subject. Pretty sure you put a bible in his hand, get him going and the bullshit will start flowing freely.

Also his hypocrisy about "smashing them all to bits". You've fought Wlad in his worst night in 20 years, Wilder, Chisora and Cunningham. That's it. Plus that Wallin fight only had a couple of rounds in it. So he's beat 4 fighters and 20 odd taxi drivers, now he's amazing. It's a shit division but there are harder fights than he's had out there. Fair play, he was due to fight Haye twice and those fights didn't happen. I'm positive Haye would've won them if not for the injuries. I'm not saying that the division is good because it's pure shit but over the last 10 years there have been better than Pianeta, Kevin Johnson and Tom fucking Schwarz FFS.

Seeing this is the boxing thread - see Caleb Plant is next in with Canelo. Any bets on how much Canelo "hydrates" to? Probably weighs in on the button and comes in a cruiserweight on the night. Yawn the current crop (promoters and fighters) make it so hard to watch these days. So little to look forward to. Crawford vs Porter is possibly the only fight I'm keen to see this year.

Nothing at all I can disagree with in all of that post right down to only having one to be somewhat keen to watch this year.

Fury is just a joke. A nasty racist homophbic joke and the Heavyweight division is dead in my eyes. Used to love the heavyweight and middleweight divisions above all others at one point in my life. Now the big boys are nothing more than being a divisions full of plodders with the best of the crop being nothing more than the level of record padders from yesteryear.

Said it years ago on here to the mirth of some that I saw Joshua as being a big Bruce Seldon and I still see him as being on that level. It is just that the rest of the division if for the most part far far worse than a Bruce Seldon level fighter.

Fury is just a big awkward lump who does have the ability to do a lot of the basics well, but like Joshua he stands out thanks to how much worse than him most of the rest of the divison is. Not sure I would include Cunningham as a decent name to have on his record either. Cunningham had lost five time before facing Fury and Fury was 12 years younger than him. Cunningham was a pretty average cruiserweight who had only just moved up to heavy for the money.

What is just as depressing is if you look at the next generation coming through. It somehow looks full of even less talented fighters with a few who will become "names" thanks to promoters with good media connections and a diet of East European plumbers.

Then I look at the middleweights. Govolkin is well past his best. Canelo has talent but will never get into a ring if there is a chance of a 50/50 fight. Andrade I do like to watch at times from a technical pov. Then it becomes a mish mash of hype jobs or fighters who are nice to watch but who have pretty low ceilings.

And as for Canelo's weight against Plant. My guess is he will on the night of the fight be around the 180 to 185lbs mark and at the weigh in will be 167.75 lbs. He often looks a very solid stone over the weight limit come fight night.

In a fair fight he is a better fighter than Plant and more than durable enough to take the best a relatively light hitter like Plant could dish out. But Canelo will want his 10+ lbs advantage along with any other advantages he may garner or ingest. Wonder how brightly his piss glows in the dark. Must make for easy night time trips to the loo as he does not have to fumble around for a light switch.

Damn you Zap for getting my dander up over the sport

est1892 > General > General Sports