It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 09-08-21, 01:31 PM   #1
Irishnev
Paisley

PL 2021/22 Season

It starts this week

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 09-08-21, 01:37 PM   #2
Rigadon
Shankly

Premier League 2021-22: Predict the final table

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58032693
Old 09-08-21, 01:40 PM   #3
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 09-08-21, 01:55 PM   #4
S-RED
Dalglish

https://ranked-list-images.files.bbc...7d781f9ab.html
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 02:06 PM   #5
Rigadon
Shankly

My heart says we'll be lucky with injuries, recapture past form and win the league. The last hurrah for this brilliant bunch of players.

My head says this team peaked 18 months ago. Nine of the eleven won the CL and PL. They've been pushed to their limits. We've missed the chance to build from a position of strength.

I'll get slaughtered for this...

Old 09-08-21, 02:23 PM   #6
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
I'll get slaughtered for this...

A little early to be on the pop, isn't it?
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 02:36 PM   #7
ChesterDave
Paisley

ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 03:23 PM   #8
vlahka
Still sulking...

The best thing about the start of a new season is seeing how all the new players in the team change and improve our style of play...
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 03:56 PM   #9
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 09-08-21, 05:12 PM   #10
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Old 09-08-21, 05:21 PM   #11
Charly
Dalglish

Behind Chelsea?

Lol
Old 09-08-21, 05:42 PM   #12
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahka View Post
The best thing about the start of a new season is seeing how all the new players in the team change and improve our style of play...
Ahh, the glory days...

RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 07:17 PM   #13
vlahka
Still sulking...

You see failures. I see the fantastical promising dreams of a child before they wake!
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 07:31 PM   #14
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahka View Post
You see failures. I see the fantastical promising dreams of a child before they wake!
Before they wake up and realise it was a nightmare?
Old 10-08-21, 08:14 AM   #15
Irishnev
Paisley

Feeling positive about the season - we still need luck on the injury front but Thiago, Jota, Tsimikas and possible Taki will be acclimatised. Curtis will have benefitted hugely from last season and hopefully Harvey gets a chance with some minutes. The defence coming back from season ending injuries although we need to be patient with them and the core of the team (inc manager) having a proper break and being refreshed. Mane looks sharp as does Mo and Bobby took his goals so well last night.

Naby and Ox can contribute if they stay fit - they can really add to the squad. Finally Konate in and hopefully 1/2 more - sell Nat, Shaq and Div for circa 40m and bring in another midfield + forward
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 08:32 AM   #16
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Feeling positive about the season - we still need luck on the injury front but Thiago, Jota, Tsimikas and possible Taki will be acclimatised. Curtis will have benefitted hugely from last season and hopefully Harvey gets a chance with some minutes. The defence coming back from season ending injuries although we need to be patient with them and the core of the team (inc manager) having a proper break and being refreshed. Mane looks sharp as does Mo and Bobby took his goals so well last night.

Naby and Ox can contribute if they stay fit - they can really add to the squad. Finally Konate in and hopefully 1/2 more - sell Nat, Shaq and Div for circa 40m and bring in another midfield + forward
Origi looked like he'd been on the sauce yesterday... stood out for me as our worst player on the pitch by some distance. Everyone else, even the subs... played much better than I was expecting for our last pre-season game.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 09:15 AM   #17
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

I don't think we'll sign anyone else, knowing we had a full preseason, Klopp would have wanted signings done early to bring them up to speed.
Old 10-08-21, 09:17 AM   #18
Fivex
The Wisp

I think we'll sign someone else but he won't play his very first couple of games, until he's brought up to speed.
Old 10-08-21, 09:20 AM   #19
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
I think we'll sign someone else but he won't play his very first couple of games, until he's brought up to speed.
Old 10-08-21, 09:25 AM   #20
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post

As things stand, there is every reason to be optimistic. There are an abundance of positives to take from pre-season. Obviously it could all go tits up with a few injuries, but right now most of the squad are fit and looking hungry.

Said it last year when they were languishing mid table, but finish above City and we'll win the league.

For those who think we have fallen behind United, it's worth noting that they still haven't beaten us in the lease since Mourinho was there in 17/18. Ole had a go at us for the first time last year as we were on our knees defensively, playing Philips and Jones and got hammered 4-2 at Old Trafford. With the money spent and the respective league positions, he'll surely have to do the same this year and I see only one outcome.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 10-08-21, 10:44 AM   #21
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Old 10-08-21, 10:45 AM   #22
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboCairns View Post
I don't think we'll sign anyone else, knowing we had a full preseason, Klopp would have wanted signings done early to bring them up to speed.

Both Thiago and Jota arrived in September last year
Old 10-08-21, 11:06 AM   #23
RedReet

Ox was deadline day too, or thereabouts.
Old 10-08-21, 11:27 AM   #24
RedReet

Someone posted a link to a season preview (Stats bomb I think) yesterday. Trying to find it, anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 10-08-21, 11:28 AM   #25
Scratch
If you fail once....

Incomings will be dependent on shifting some of the fringe players, we have a wage budget and squad size to consider. Shaq/Origi leaving will free up a slot, but if they don't find a suitor willing to meet our price, we probably won't bring anyone else in this summer.
Old 10-08-21, 11:28 AM   #26
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Both Thiago and Jota arrived in September last year
There'll be no arrivals in September this year.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 11:45 AM   #27
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Is in the opening post of this thread.
Old 10-08-21, 11:46 AM   #28
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Someone posted a link to a season preview (Stats bomb I think) yesterday. Trying to find it, anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 10-08-21, 11:54 AM   #29
RedReet

Quote:
FFS, checked at least 5 times.

Cheers Jaco.
Old 10-08-21, 12:05 PM   #30
RedReet

Was a good read. Particularly liked this (obvious) paragraph :

Quote:
While the above points towards some elements of concern, realistically Liverpool are in the enviable position of having four high-class, starting-calibre forwards with a complementary set of elite skills. Klopp even has the possibility of rotating the front-line without a significant reduction in quality, or tailoring the forward-line to certain situations and match-ups. Perhaps the natural order will shift over the course of the season, but the forward line provides both depth and quality at this point.
Old 10-08-21, 01:46 PM   #31
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Was a good read. Particularly liked this (obvious) paragraph :

Have to say that I disagree somewhat with that paragraph. We have two high class forwards imo, with Jota being a possible third (if he continues his form into this season.

Bobby does not fall into that high class forward catagory at all for me anymore.

Sure we can hope that he sees a return to form this season and he adds some extra goals to his tally along with returning to his high level of linking play together, but until/unless he actually ups his form and plays to that level on a consistent basis along with increasing his goal/assist return compared to last season then he is not the high class forward the article described him as being.

Attack is where I do feel we need to add a little bit more depth.

We have Salah who is just a machine and you always feel that whether he has a good or bad game he is still going to have a chance of getting a goal.

Mane was poor by his own standards last season but still finished the season as a one in three goal scorer from the wing along with getting assists. So his poor season is on the level of what gets lauded for other wingers. Have to feel that he will give at least a similar if not better goal/assist reurn this season.

Jota had his season truncated by injury, however the signs are good that he will be a getter of goals for us this season and his movement and directness bode well.

Bobby is the weak link out of that quartet for me. In the past his lack of goals were more than compensated for by his all round play and his ability to link play and progress play by dropping deep. But that ability seemed to be on the wane a little bit in our title winning season and then really dropped off a cliff for large chunks of last season whilst his goal return from all comps has been decreasing season on season for the past four seasons.

When his link play and such is on top form then his lack of goals is no issue, but take away that link play and with a reduced goal tally, he starts to become less than essential and puts us in a position where an extra attacker as cover/competion would be needs as the drop off to the likes of origi & co is too sharp if we were to have an injury crisis up front to match what we had at the back last season.
Old 10-08-21, 02:22 PM   #32
RedReet

Quote:
Have to say that I disagree somewhat with that paragraph. We have two high class forwards imo, with Jota being a possible third (if he continues his form into this season.

Bobby does not fall into that high class forward catagory at all for me anymore.

Sure we can hope that he sees a return to form this season and he adds some extra goals to his tally along with returning to his high level of linking play together, but until/unless he actually ups his form and plays to that level on a consistent basis along with increasing his goal/assist return compared to last season then he is not the high class forward the article described him as being.

Attack is where I do feel we need to add a little bit more depth.

We have Salah who is just a machine and you always feel that whether he has a good or bad game he is still going to have a chance of getting a goal.

Mane was poor by his own standards last season but still finished the season as a one in three goal scorer from the wing along with getting assists. So his poor season is on the level of what gets lauded for other wingers. Have to feel that he will give at least a similar if not better goal/assist reurn this season.

Jota had his season truncated by injury, however the signs are good that he will be a getter of goals for us this season and his movement and directness bode well.

Bobby is the weak link out of that quartet for me. In the past his lack of goals were more than compensated for by his all round play and his ability to link play and progress play by dropping deep. But that ability seemed to be on the wane a little bit in our title winning season and then really dropped off a cliff for large chunks of last season whilst his goal return from all comps has been decreasing season on season for the past four seasons.

When his link play and such is on top form then his lack of goals is no issue, but take away that link play and with a reduced goal tally, he starts to become less than essential and puts us in a position where an extra attacker as cover/competion would be needs as the drop off to the likes of origi & co is too sharp if we were to have an injury crisis up front to match what we had at the back last season.
Fair points, but I'm completely writing off last season as there was so much going on outside of football and you don't know how it affected people.

I also can't bring myself to criticise anyone in our title winning year. Up until Covid hit we were absolutely flawless and Bobby played a big part in that.

I've always argued that when judging Firmino's numbers, he should be compared to an AM rather than a CF. On numbers alone 9/7 and 9/8 for G/A past two years isn't terrible, it's a goal involvement every 2nd game. Should he me getting more? Definitely. If we win the league again, will it matter? Not for me.

Feel like it's a very childlike response from me and admittedly my interest in football died during Covid so I wasn't paying as much attention as usual. I still think Firmino is an outstanding footballer though and genuinely belive he'll raise his game with fans back in the stadium. If it wasn't for ACN, I'd be confident our attacking 4 would outscore all our rivals. Looking at us in preseason at looking at our favourable fixture list, I really expect us to fly out of the traps this year.
Old 10-08-21, 02:59 PM   #33
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Behind Chelsea?

Lol
Behind the European champions, lol
Old 10-08-21, 03:12 PM   #34
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Fair points, but I'm completely writing off last season as there was so much going on outside of football and you don't know how it affected people.

I also can't bring myself to criticise anyone in our title winning year. Up until Covid hit we were absolutely flawless and Bobby played a big part in that.

I've always argued that when judging Firmino's numbers, he should be compared to an AM rather than a CF. On numbers alone 9/7 and 9/8 for G/A past two years isn't terrible, it's a goal involvement every 2nd game. Should he me getting more? Definitely. If we win the league again, will it matter? Not for me.

Feel like it's a very childlike response from me and admittedly my interest in football died during Covid so I wasn't paying as much attention as usual. I still think Firmino is an outstanding footballer though and genuinely belive he'll raise his game with fans back in the stadium. If it wasn't for ACN, I'd be confident our attacking 4 would outscore all our rivals. Looking at us in preseason at looking at our favourable fixture list, I really expect us to fly out of the traps this year.

I hope he does raise his game this season as he is one of my favourite players to see smiling on the pitch and as I said if he all round game is on form then his goal and assist return matter a lot less as him on form creates space for others to do damage.

It is just that he has been going down on a lot of the underlying stats that he used to excel at for some time now. His pressing, his chance creation, his progressive passing, shot taking, shot conversion, even things like % ofshots on target have dropped a lot.

I still think we are a little short in the attacking third though. The drop off from our regulars to the potential back ups/challengers is too great imo. If one or more of our regulars get injured for a sustaoned period or suffer a sustained loss of form, then those that can come into to team do not really offer an awful lot more than the out of form players
Old 10-08-21, 03:27 PM   #35
RedReet

Quote:
I hope he does raise his game this season as he is one of my favourite players to see smiling on the pitch and as I said if he all round game is on form then his goal and assist return matter a lot less as him on form creates space for others to do damage.

It is just that he has been going down on a lot of the underlying stats that he used to excel at for some time now. His pressing, his chance creation, his progressive passing, shot taking, shot conversion, even things like % ofshots on target have dropped a lot.

I still think we are a little short in the attacking third though. The drop off from our regulars to the potential back ups/challengers is too great imo. If one or more of our regulars get injured for a sustaoned period or suffer a sustained loss of form, then those that can come into to team do not really offer an awful lot more than the out of form players
Personally, I think we could scrape by until January, but when Shaq goes, I think we'll find a replacement. That's why I didn't think there is such a panic to get someone in and allow them a full preseason. We can sign them late in the window, ease them in gently and have them ready to step up when they are really needed after Christmas.

As for Bobby, we look like we will be playing a high press again which obviously suits him and there are plenty of unquantifiable factors I'm hoping will spur him on (genuine challenge from Jota, fans back, disappointment of last year & Copa, hopefully some normality outside of football).

He finished the season in decent form (scooped me a few hundred scoring that brace against United ) and looked sharp last night, so outside of my blind faith, there is some valid evidence to suggest that he could have a great season this year.
Old 10-08-21, 04:21 PM   #36
Scratch
If you fail once....

We will see a much different Bobby (and Mane and others too) this season compared to last, cos circumstances are changed; there's a bigger gap between games, we have 4 fully fit (touch wood) forwards to rotate in and out when required, there's been a full, drawn out preseason to ramp up player fitness and, all being well, a fully functioning midfield behind the front three which will make a big difference by taking some workload away from the frontline.
Old 10-08-21, 04:23 PM   #37
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
We will see a much different Bobby (and Mane and others too) this season compared to last, cos circumstances are changed; there's a bigger gap between games, we have 4 fully fit (touch wood) forwards to rotate in and out when required, there's been a full, drawn out preseason to ramp up player fitness and, all being well, a fully functioning midfield behind the front three which will make a big difference by taking some workload away from the frontline.
...and the fans. I reckon both Mane and Firmino were impacted more than others from the lack of fans. Bobby F in particular is such an extravert on the pitch.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 04:49 PM   #38
Corndog
Fagan

Quote:
Ahh, the glory days...

Brings back nightmares.

I honestly think the current squads second string would destroy some of the first teams we had in the darker times in the 90s, 00s and 10s

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 08:18 AM   #39
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
...and the fans. I reckon both Mane and Firmino were impacted more than others from the lack of fans. Bobby F in particular is such an extravert on the pitch.
Yup, the lack of fans certainly didnít help some players whereas you get the feeling others it helped, the likes of Lingaard and Shaw having their best seasons without them being there.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 09:34 AM   #40
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Yup, the lack of fans certainly didnít help some players whereas you get the feeling others it helped, the likes of Lingaard and Shaw having their best seasons without them being there.
exactly this - we suffered most from fans not being in the stadiums, that was pretty clear to see - our players genuinely love hearing their songs and fans getting behind them at home...

Less so for the likes of United and City where the fanbase is pretty quiet, even given the larger numbers... Utd fans only ever seem to really get up for it when they play us or City... rarely anytime else.

I'm hoping our energy levels on the pitch are turbo-charged with a rocking Anfield... sorely missed last season in so many lo-tempo, low block games... we looked devoid of ideas and lacking the press. New season, new optimism...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC