It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 24-08-21, 02:14 PM   #1
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Chelsea (H) 28.08.21

Gonna be a a cracking game this. We'll soon find out if Chelsea are the real deal, or just a very decent side. Lukaku against Virg is a mouthwatering prospect.

A few tough decisions for Klopp to make, LB, CM and CF.

If Robbo is fully fit, he definitely starts for me.

Midfield is tough. If fit, Fab and Hendo nailed imo. Thiago was crucial to our end of season form and a world class player, but I think I'd start Naby, then bring Thiago on against tiring legs.

Bobby and Jota is a coin toss. An on form Bobby walks into the team, but at the minute, Jota is the form player. I think Bobby will start, giving us a real goal scoring threat from the bench.

Alison
Trent Matip VVD Robbo
Fab
Hendo Naby
Mo Bobby Mane

Be great going into the international break with clear daylight between us and all of our perceived rivals.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-08-21, 02:26 PM   #2
labourRed
Shankly

Yeah i'm going a bit different on the big calls. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Naby start.

Alison
Trent Matip VVD Robbo
Hendo Fab Thiago
Mo Jota Mane
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-21, 02:29 PM   #3
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

-----------Alison
TAA-- Matip- VVD- Tsimikas
------------Fab--------------
-Henderson----Keita
Salah---- -Jota----- Mane

For me

Robertson I would have in if he was 100%, but anything less and Tsimikas should keep his spot on form.

Jota I would have over Bobby on form too. Two games, two goals. His underlying stats show he is doing just as much defensive work and tracking back as peak Bobby.

Peak Bobby beats Jota in things like passing and link play, but Jota bats Bobby in end product and gernal movement in the final third. Goals win games so Jota over Bobby for a big one like this.

Ideal world we would have Fab, Henderson and Thiago all fully fit for this one, but think Klopp will go with Fab (if he is ready mentally), Henderson and Keita and press the hell out of Chelsea in the middle.

Do wish Konate has some minutes under his belt as would love to see him and Lukaku go at it.

Also wonder if TAA is carrying a knock as is rumoured, might we see Tsimikas at right back as he can use both feet almost equally well.
Old 24-08-21, 02:32 PM   #4
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
-----------Alison
TAA-- Matip- VVD- Tsimikas
------------Fab--------------
-Henderson----Keita
Salah---- -Jota----- Mane

For me

Robertson I would have in if he was 100%, but anything less and Tsimikas should keep his spot on form.

Jota I would have over Bobby on form too. Two games, two goals. His underlying stats show he is doing just as much defensive work and tracking back as peak Bobby.

Peak Bobby beats Jota in things like passing and link play, but Jota bats Bobby in end product and gernal movement in the final third. Goals win games so Jota over Bobby for a big one like this.

Ideal world we would have Fab, Henderson and Thiago all fully fit for this one, but think Klopp will go with Fab (if he is ready mentally), Henderson and Keita and press the hell out of Chelsea in the middle.

Do wish Konate has some minutes under his belt as would love to see him and Lukaku go at it.

Also wonder if TAA is carrying a knock as is rumoured, might we see Tsimikas at right back as he can use both feet almost equally well.
He obviously limped off against Burnley, but Klopp said everyone was fine. Has something been said since?
Old 24-08-21, 02:39 PM   #5
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
He obviously limped off against Burnley, but Klopp said everyone was fine. Has something been said since?

Just twatter talk so to be taken with copious amounts of salt.
Old 24-08-21, 02:44 PM   #6
RedReet

Quote:
Just twatter talk so to be taken with copious amounts of salt.
Hopefully nonsense.
Old 24-08-21, 02:53 PM   #7
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Even if trent is fine it might be good to give timi a run out at RB (late sub time) to see if he can be a decent option.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 04:16 AM   #8
tommyroland
Souness

tommyroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 06:27 AM   #9
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Welcome
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 08:41 AM   #10
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyroland View Post
Hello rock opera synthesizer...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 09:21 AM   #11
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

I think the midfield picks itself really, if Fab is back.

Hendo - Fab - Keita

Judging by Klopp's reaction to Keita's performance against Burnley he's meeting expectations.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 09:37 AM   #12
dizzycat
Dalglish

Going to be a feisty game, particularly if the loose refereeing continues. We just need to start quickly and use the crowd. First big test, going to be a good one.
Old 25-08-21, 09:47 AM   #13
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’d love to see Thiago start. He was class even in the 10mins he played on Saturday.

Fab:Hendo:Thiago for me.
Old 25-08-21, 10:09 AM   #14
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Iíd love to see Thiago start. He was class even in the 10mins he played on Saturday.

Fab:Hendo:Thiago for me.
Funnily enough, I thought Thiago and Firmino were sloppy when they came on. Caught out by the step up in intensity ie pace of the game now that crowds are back. Iím probably talking shit!
Old 25-08-21, 10:13 AM   #15
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Funnily enough, I thought Thiago and Firmino were sloppy when they came on. Caught out by the step up in intensity ie pace of the game now that crowds are back. Iím probably talking shit!
I'd agree on Firmino, but Thiago was class. I dont think he gave the ball away once. He also did one little move where he left the Burnley midfield tackling thin air.

Firmino had his usual Anfield assortment of misplaced passes and the ball bouncing off his shins.
Old 25-08-21, 10:20 AM   #16
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I'd agree on Firmino, but Thiago was class. I dont think he gave the ball away once. He also did one little move where he left the Burnley midfield tackling thin air.

Firmino had his usual Anfield assortment of misplaced passes and the ball bouncing off his shins.
He did show one piece of pure class where he nearly made a goal but was sloppy twice and made two chances for them. One was from a header that lead to the Barnes chance. I agree with the lads - he is still building sharpness but itís great heís not being rushed back

Like others I think it will be Naby, Hendo and Fab
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 10:24 AM   #17
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Thiago was below his usual standards during that 16 or so mins on the pitch when it came to pass completion.

His pass completion was 80%, which by his own standards is quite poor. His average for all of last season for example was 90%.

He did not play badly at all, but how well he played depends on whether you judge him by his own standards (elite level) or by what would be decent for a regular player.
Old 25-08-21, 10:58 AM   #18
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Thiago was below his usual standards during that 16 or so mins on the pitch when it came to pass completion.

His pass completion was 80%, which by his own standards is quite poor. His average for all of last season for example was 90%.

He did not play badly at all, but how well he played depends on whether you judge him by his own standards (elite level) or by what would be decent for a regular player.
Quote:
Nine minutes was all Thiago Alc‚ntara was given against Burnley on Saturday afternoon, but it was his first chance to play in front of a full Anfield stadium in a competitive game.

In those nine minutes, Thiago attempted 15 passes, completed 12, won an aerial duel and made a clearance. Statistically, it was a tidy performance. However, anyone at Anfield would have been able to tell you that Thiago is far more than a tidy player.

The former Bayern Munich midfielder demonstrated in those few minutes just what made him such a coveted asset. He was able to speed up and slow down passages of play in an instant, opening up avenues and spaces that were previously hidden.

In an already entertaining game, Thiago added colour, verve, flair and joy. Every time he received or released the ball there was a sense and air of anticipation, the promise of magic or trickery.

In one move, he let the ball roll across the front of a Burnley player on the open side, as he glided round and moved the ball forward. It was a glorious trick made better by both its simplicity and also the hopelessness of the Burnley player who was dumbfounded.

Again, all it took was nine minutes to capture the imagination of fans and permanently imprint a smile across the faces of supporters across the world.
Old 25-08-21, 11:44 AM   #19
labourRed
Shankly

Thiago over Keita for me. The former is a big game player, whereas there are question marks over Naby against the best.

Also last year Thiago put on a bit of clinic in midfield generalship last year.
Old 25-08-21, 11:57 AM   #20
ronanm
Shankly

They have beaten us comfortably since tuchel took over so hoping to see a closer game this time. They are stronger than they were but so are we, albeit with little transfer activity
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 25-08-21, 12:38 PM   #21
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanm View Post
They have beaten us comfortably since tuchel took over so hoping to see a closer game this time. They are stronger than they were but so are we, albeit with little transfer activity
We only played them once though, and we were on our knees.

Sundays game will be a massive indicator as to where both teams are this season.

Anfield, late kick off on a Saturday. The place will be bouncing, that is a massive advantage for us.
Old 25-08-21, 12:43 PM   #22
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

12 passed completed from 15 is an 80% completion rate. Yes I know I typed in 16 minutes and not 9 :P

Like I said, it depends on whether his performance is judged by his own very high standards or that of a more regular player.

By the standards he has set in the past, it was a sub par performance, however by the standards of most players it was a good performance.

Give him another game or two and his pass completion will be back close to the 90% mark and everything else about his game will be back to those standards as well.

I'm not knocking the guy though as I love watching him play.
Old 25-08-21, 12:50 PM   #23
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
12 passed completed from 15 is an 80% completion rate. Yes I know I typed in 16 minutes and not 9 :P

Like I said, it depends on whether his performance is judged by his own very high standards or that of a more regular player.

By the standards he has set in the past, it was a sub par performance, however by the standards of most players it was a good performance.

Give him another game or two and his pass completion will be back close to the 90% mark and everything else about his game will be back to those standards as well.

I'm not knocking the guy though as I love watching him play.
You are such a pedant

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I thought he looked good when he came on. Passed quickly, and (mainly) accurately and had one moment of genius in 9 minutes.
Old 25-08-21, 12:57 PM   #24
Exiled_red
Paisley

I don't see Thiago starting based on the number of minutes he's had so far, given he's only been on for ~10mins I don't think we will start him in such a big game.
Old 25-08-21, 01:04 PM   #25
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanm View Post

Quote:
We only played them once though, and we were on our knees.

Sundays game will be a massive indicator as to where both teams are this season.

Anfield, late kick off on a Saturday. The place will be bouncing, that is a massive advantage for us.

Was not even a comfortable win for them either. Was a tight game which they won by a single goal despite us being in that six home game losing run.

Don't think that game will have any bearing come the weekend though.

They are a strong well drilled team who are as good as they were last season at the back and in the middle whilst better up front with the return of Lukaku.

We have everyone who missed the last game against them back now, plus right now have a few of our usually injured players available and we have a pre season behind us.

My guess is Tuchel will do what he usually does when he meets a Klopp team and take a more pragmatic approach tactically than he usually does. He has form for doing this in the past even if the Klopp team is stumbling and his own team is flying.

Will be an interesting clash of styles though with Klopp probably going 4-3-3 and Tuchel going 3-5-1-1 or more likely 3-4-2-1.

Think it is a game that would suit the direct running of Jota more than the deeper lying Firmino though. Tuchel will pack the midfield and make things very compact in the centre so someone like Jota who can stretch the play might force Chelsea to lose some of that compactness.

Will be a good early indicator of where we are as a team though. Chelsea are a quality team with a manager who is tactically very good.
Old 25-08-21, 01:09 PM   #26
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
You are such a pedant

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I thought he looked good when he came on. Passed quickly, and (mainly) accurately and had one moment of genius in 9 minutes.

I can be

Though in the case of Thiago, I think he is in need of more game time to go from looking good in a game to playing at his own lofty level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I don't see Thiago starting based on the number of minutes he's had so far, given he's only been on for ~10mins I don't think we will start him in such a big game.

Me neither. I think he will come on with 20 or 30 minutes to go so he can impact the game tempo to either close out the game or help force a needed goal. Do expect him to be starting games after the international break though.

Course with Kopp you just do not know and Thiago has form for being the sort of player that is able to start a game and put in an amazing performance on the back of very little game minutes prior to that game.
Old 25-08-21, 01:14 PM   #27
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

Was not even a comfortable win for them either. Was a tight game which they won by a single goal despite us being in that six home game losing run.

Don't think that game will have any bearing come the weekend though.

They are a strong well drilled team who are as good as they were last season at the back and in the middle whilst better up front with the return of Lukaku.

We have everyone who missed the last game against them back now, plus right now have a few of our usually injured players available and we have a pre season behind us.

My guess is Tuchel will do what he usually does when he meets a Klopp team and take a more pragmatic approach tactically than he usually does. He has form for doing this in the past even if the Klopp team is stumbling and his own team is flying.

Will be an interesting clash of styles though with Klopp probably going 4-3-3 and Tuchel going 3-5-1-1 or more likely 3-4-2-1.

Think it is a game that would suit the direct running of Jota more than the deeper lying Firmino though. Tuchel will pack the midfield and make things very compact in the centre so someone like Jota who can stretch the play might force Chelsea to lose some of that compactness.

Will be a good early indicator of where we are as a team though. Chelsea are a quality team with a manager who is tactically very good.
Old 25-08-21, 01:17 PM   #28
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

We need the legs of Keita rather than the passing of Thaigo/

Old 25-08-21, 01:24 PM   #29
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Keita vs Kante will be fascinating to watch imo. Assuming both start. Kante is a beast, and Keita excels at breaking a press.
Old 25-08-21, 01:46 PM   #30
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Keita vs Kante will be fascinating to watch imo. Assuming both start. Kante is a beast, and Keita excels at breaking a press.
So, Kante to foul Keita at least 6 times without picking up a card. Keita will tackle Kante the once and be booked.
Old 25-08-21, 01:50 PM   #31
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
So, Kante to foul Keita at least 6 times without picking up a card. Keita will tackle Kante the once and be booked.

Old 25-08-21, 02:17 PM   #32
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Quote:
I'm not sure Keita has the legs either. That's been one of the ways he has disappointed me. He always looks too slow.
I'd play Thiago any day over Keita.

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 02:24 PM   #33
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I'd keep Keita in, he needs game time and it won't help his confidence dropping him now. I want to see a good run of games from him now and Saturday is a real test for him which I think he'll come through if he plays.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-21, 02:30 PM   #34
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Barely a contest to be fair. If he runs the roost over Kante my gast will be truly flabbered.

Thankfully our midfield don't really line up man-for-man, so its not really a square go.
Old 25-08-21, 03:18 PM   #35
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Barely a contest to be fair. If he runs the roost over Kante my gast will be truly flabbered.

Thankfully our midfield don't really line up man-for-man, so its not really a square go.

Oh I think Kante is a world class player and the better of the two without a doubt. However I just feel that some of the less eye catching stuff that Keita is capable of doing well is potentially a very good counter to Kante's pressing.

And whilst our midfield rarely tries to line up man for man, Tuchel has tried exactly that a number of times in the past with his Dortmund team and this Chelsea team, especially when chasing the ball.

Not expecting Keita to rule the roost over Kante, more a case that if he plays well that he and Kante may cancel the other out and as such their best midfielder would be countered by a player not on his level when it comes to most things.

Thiago is another in our squad that is excellent against a press, but I feel that he would be lacking a little in match fitness at present and possibly easier to draw into a physcial battle with Kante as a result. A fully fit and match sharp Thiago vs Kante would be a fascinating watch though and who knows maybe I am underrating where Thiago is physically/mentally right now and we will get to see it.
Old 25-08-21, 03:23 PM   #36
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
I'm not sure Keita has the legs either. That's been one of the ways he has disappointed me. He always looks too slow.
I'd play Thiago any day over Keita.

YNWA
Moves a lot faster than the Spanish Huddlestone, that's for sure.

Old 25-08-21, 03:25 PM   #37
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Moves a lot faster than the Spanish Huddlestone, that's for sure.

Go wash you mouth out, you heathen.
Old 25-08-21, 03:41 PM   #38
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Go wash you mouth out, you heathen.

Old 25-08-21, 11:24 PM   #39
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

At first I thought a draw would be good but I want all three points and to show the league we're back.

Is Pulisic still out with the Corona?
Old 26-08-21, 05:06 AM   #40
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboCairns View Post
At first I thought a draw would be good but I want all three points and to show the league we're back.

Is Pulisic still out with the Corona?
A late KO at Anfield with more or less a fully fit squad, a draw would be a terrible result imo.

To win the league we need to be practically flawless again, so winning every game at Anfield must be a priority.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC