It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 07-12-19, 11:18 PM   #8601
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Leagues apart. Lewis is an ATG.
No doubt.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 01:35 AM   #8602
Deano
Shankly

Fury best in that division - Can see Wilder forgoing the Fury fight and trying to get AJ before the mandoraty against Ortiz. Shame ,but I can see Fury being locked out as no-one fancies him
Old 08-12-19, 01:46 AM   #8603
fidget
Shankly

Can see Joshua beating Fury and knocking out/getting knocked out by Wilder.
They're all pretty shit though.
I watched a few old Lennox Lewis fights the other night and it made me sad how far the division has dropped in quality.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 01:55 AM   #8604
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Can see Joshua beating Fury and knocking out/getting knocked out by Wilder.
They're all pretty shit though.
I watched a few old Lennox Lewis fights the other night and it made me sad how far the division has dropped in quality.
Nah, not having that, a still fat Fury went the distance against Wilder and should have got the decision. AJ, one paced and lacks punch.

Fury still the linear champ
Old 08-12-19, 07:02 AM   #8605
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Nah, not having that, a still fat Fury went the distance against Wilder and should have got the decision. AJ, one paced and lacks punch.

Fury still the linear champ
The same Fury who almost lost to journeymen, 8 round figher Otto Wallin? I still have no idea where this love for Fury has come from since his return. Other than the Wlad fight where he was brilliant and Wlad was awful he's the same shit fighter he's always been.

In the mix, Whyte and Ortiz will fancy themselves too, not much difference between them Wilder, Joshua, Ruiz etc. Think Ortiz could be a nightmare for Joshua, even Rivas wouldn't be an ideal style for Joshua. Don't rate him at all, but if Parker racks up a few more wins and gets/wins the Chisora rematch, he'll be in for some big fights again too.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 04:49 PM   #8606
Deano
Shankly

Too much baggage with Whyte, I think Oritz will be a nightmare for most, Parker was too passive against AJ and wouldn't have a chance against any of the bigger hitters in the division.No love in for Fury from me, but I was in Dusseldorf when he outboxed Wlad, alas Out of the lads who I went with I was the only one on Fury to win. Very underrated technically, every sees the loopy shit he does and thinks he's a David price with a decent chin.
Old 08-12-19, 05:21 PM   #8607
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Too much baggage with Whyte, I think Oritz will be a nightmare for most, Parker was too passive against AJ and wouldn't have a chance against any of the bigger hitters in the division.No love in for Fury from me, but I was in Dusseldorf when he outboxed Wlad, alas Out of the lads who I went with I was the only one on Fury to win. Very underrated technically, every sees the loopy shit he does and thinks he's a David price with a decent chin.
He hasn't got Price's punching power.
Seriously he's beaten a load of bums and got off the floor to be robbed of a win against a freaky puncher with no boxing skills.
His career best fight against Klitschko was possibly the worst heavyweight title fight ever - Klitschko's partner was in and out of institutions with depression following the birth of their child. He was practically asleep during the fight and there was only one occasion Klitschko appeared to remember he was in the ring and opened up.
Total "punches" landed in the entire fight was 138.
Klitschko had been just as poor in his previous fight against Bryant Jennings.

There is an absolute dirth of talent in the heavyweights.
Old 09-12-19, 04:34 PM   #8608
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
He's no Lennox Lewis but he did OK tonight.

Set up for a trilogy.
Fuck no. Hard pass on that.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 05:32 PM   #8609
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
My point is that people say that Mike Tyson is a heavyweight great and what he beat wasn't too much better. Apart from Spinks, Holmes (who was only a million years old), Bruno at a stretch; the other names on his list were decent at best [at the time of the fights]. Lost to Holyfield, stopped by Lewis, dodged Bowe/Tua etc. Sure there were some tough fights on paper against good fighters but other than the above, there aren't any real standout wins.

In sports, particularly boxing it's always 'older is better'. Whilst the mentality is fair enough and I agree to it to some point, it discredits what lots of people are doing now. I remember someone telling me after Golovkin - Canelo 1 that there aren't any exciting middleweights anymore and there haven't been knockouts since Hagler. Where in reality at the time Golovkin had a higher KO% than Hagler. These 'all time' lists from 'experts' always have a huge American bias. The welterweight division from the mid 90s to until after 2010 was exceptional and many of those fighters will be inducted to the hall of fame, but people still claim that Mayweather for example had it easy because there aren't hard fights out there. Mosley, De La Hoya, Cotto, Marquez etc would have been brilliant in any era and people will probably wax lyrical over them in 20 years time.

You're much better at adding than I am. Regardless, I don't feel that Fury has a case for 'robbery'.
On the middleweights, Haggler, Hearns, SRL, Duran were in a different league to the modern ones. Roy Jones at super and De La Hoya would have got a shot at the title, not sure the others you mentioned would have been top 10 in Haggler's day.
Old 09-12-19, 05:43 PM   #8610
fidget
Shankly

To Zapater

To be fair Tyson fought most of his fights with little to no training,an out of control lifestyle and pretty heavy drug use.
I'd also say you're giving little credit to fighters like Tony Tubbs,Pinklon Thomas,Tony Tucker and Donovan Ruddock who would all be in the mix at the very least if they were fighting today.
Old 09-12-19, 06:23 PM   #8611
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
On the middleweights, Haggler, Hearns, SRL, Duran were in a different league to the modern ones. Roy Jones at super and De La Hoya would have got a shot at the title, not sure the others you mentioned would have been top 10 in Haggler's day.
James Toney could have hung with Haggler, Hearns, SRL and Duran and Middleweight....if he'd stayed out of Burger King...the fat fuck
Old 09-12-19, 06:24 PM   #8612
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
To Zapater

To be fair Tyson fought most of his fights with little to no training,an out of control lifestyle and pretty heavy drug use.
I'd also say you're giving little credit to fighters like Tony Tubbs,Pinklon Thomas,Tony Tucker and Donovan Ruddock who would all be in the mix at the very least if they were fighting today.
You can always tell how much a person knows about boxing by how they rate Mike Tyson.
Old 09-12-19, 06:31 PM   #8613
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
You can always tell how much a person knows about boxing by how they rate Mike Tyson.
And how would you say I rate him?
Old 09-12-19, 06:34 PM   #8614
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
James Toney could have hung with Haggler, Hearns, SRL and Duran and Middleweight....if he'd stayed out of Burger King...the fat fuck
Completly agree - Toney was an absolute pleasure to watch.
His inside work was on another level.
Old 09-12-19, 08:09 PM   #8615
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
And how would you say I rate him?
You personally? no idea.

I generally find that the more person references Tyson in a boxing conversation the more they overrate him as an actual boxer.
Old 09-12-19, 08:24 PM   #8616
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
You personally? no idea.

I generally find that the more person references Tyson in a boxing conversation the more they overrate him as an actual boxer.
Thought with you quoting my post where I give Tyson credit meant your comment might be at me.
My estimation of him as a boxer has actually gone up since his retirement.
Undisputed Truth - his autobiography - was a real eye opener.
I had a long running bet with a mate about the outcome of a Lewis - Tyson bout.
He finally paid me nine years after the bet was struck
How do you think the boxers I mentioned would fair against the modern contenders?
Old 10-12-19, 10:33 AM   #8617
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Oscar started as a super featherweight. I think he had one fight as a middleweight, wouldn't consider him as a middleweight by any stretch. As a welter/light middle, very good definitely. That period has to be the best set of middles since the legendary Graziano, Robertson, Tony Zale, LaMotta, Basilio, Marcel Cerdan etc. Even the contenders in the Fab Four era were very good. Look at how many tough fights Hagler had to endure before getting a title shot.

We've had some very good middleweights since, but not a universal cluster. The super middleweight (and light middleweight) division which has been really good since its inception has no doubt stolen some potential middleweight greats.

Quote:
To Zapater

His training and conditioning is irrelevant, we can only judge from what we saw in the ring. Personally I've never thought too much of him, but there are people who know a lot more about boxing than me who put him in the top 10-15 heavies of all time, so that's cool. The Tyson debate will always divide opinion and there's a lot of 'what if' involved. If Cus had lived longer, if he didn't goto prison, if he was more disciplined. Whilst there is some validity to it, I look at what happened. If he had fought and beaten the majority of Ruiz, Tua, Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Vitali, Mercer, Briggs etc then we'd have a case. In many ways I look at David Tua as a similar fighter who faced a similar level of opponent, has an extended highlight reel of absurd knockouts but no one rates him as a top all time fighter.

I agree those guys were better than what's out there today, James Tillis and Seldon even, but they're not standout elite fighters that are particularly memorable in the history of boxing. When Tyson met the big names, when both him and then were past their primes he came up short. The fact he couldn't turn it around when things weren't going well doesn't bode well for him when comparing him to the better fighters in other eras.

For the last 30 years or so we've been in the 'super heavyweight' era making it harder to judge how historical greats would have been. These hypotheticals have always been a bit irrelevant to me, but I do find it difficult to believe the likes of Floyd Paterson or Marciano would be able to consistently compete with the likes of Klitschko's. Obviously there are examples of them beating bigger men, but it's not like they were constantly against giants.

Irrespective, for me heavyweights have always been and will always be inferior fighters to smaller men. Super Featherweight to light heavyweight have consistently provided more entertainment for me.
Old 10-12-19, 10:42 AM   #8618
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Thought with you quoting my post where I give Tyson credit meant your comment might be at me.
My estimation of him as a boxer has actually gone up since his retirement.
Undisputed Truth - his autobiography - was a real eye opener.
I had a long running bet with a mate about the outcome of a Lewis - Tyson bout.
He finally paid me nine years after the bet was struck
How do you think the boxers I mentioned would fair against the modern contenders?
I hope your money was on Lewis. It's shameful just how underrated a boxer he is. He's a genuine top 10 ATG heavyweight from this country yet he or his achievements are very rarely discussed.

I've not seen much of Tubbs, Thomas or Tucker so it's hard to comment how they'd do in this day and age. My abiding memory of Razor Ruddock is Lewis demolishing him in 2 or 3 rounds.

When discussing today's heavyweights and how they'd fair against the fighters of the past i think you've got to take into account the sheer size of the fighters today. We're living in the world of the Super Heavy where you've got 6'9 guys waltzing around like ballerinas.
Old 10-12-19, 10:44 AM   #8619
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Oscar started as a super featherweight. I think he had one fight as a middleweight, wouldn't consider him as a middleweight by any stretch. As a welter/light middle, very good definitely. That period has to be the best set of middles since the legendary Graziano, Robertson, Tony Zale, LaMotta, Basilio, Marcel Cerdan etc. Even the contenders in the Fab Four era were very good. Look at how many tough fights Hagler had to endure before getting a title shot.
If you haven't already read it then i cannot recommend highly enough Thomas Hauser's 4 Kings.

If you have read it then re-read it. One of the best boxing books you'll read.
Old 10-12-19, 11:19 AM   #8620
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
I hope your money was on Lewis. It's shameful just how underrated a boxer he is. He's a genuine top 10 ATG heavyweight from this country yet he or his achievements are very rarely discussed.
I think Lewis' reserved nature and manners didn't make the US audience take to him as much as others, they love loud, flashy and brash, particularly in fighters. For me he's one of the better heavies how he managed to go away from his range fighting setting up his right to get close up. Don't think he gets enough credit for how he pickeda young Vitali apart. He was out of shape, fought him on the inside for long periods. It's a barnstormer. The uppercuts make me shudder, Vitali is as tough as they come.

Quote:
If you haven't already read it then i cannot recommend highly enough Thomas Hauser's 4 Kings.

Will try to pick it up, love content on those guys.

My favourite boxing book by far is Raging Bull, much better than the movie, which was also entertaining. Although long stretches of it had nothing to do with boxing at all.

After reading autobiographies/biographies on those guys in the 50s, I dug up as much archive footage and interviews as possible. Fascinating people, almost all of them and ferocious boxers. In their own right, you could dedicate a mini-series or Hollywood blockbuster on plenty of them and they all fought each other.
Old 10-12-19, 01:11 PM   #8621
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Fury best in that division - Can see Wilder forgoing the Fury fight and trying to get AJ before the mandoraty against Ortiz. Shame ,but I can see Fury being locked out as no-one fancies him
The problem I have with Fury is he cant fucking punch

Hes talented and slick but he has zero punching power so to beat any decent heavyweight its more than likely gonna go the distance and thats always a big risk that he gets one right on the chin
Old 10-12-19, 01:16 PM   #8622
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
The first 4 middleweights were amongst the best there has ever been. Still not sure Duran would have beaten Canelo or GGG. SRL and Hagler would beat both of them no problem and Hearns would be just Hearns ie if he hits you you are in trouble if you hit him hes in trouble
Old 10-12-19, 01:20 PM   #8623
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
My point is that people say that Mike Tyson is a heavyweight great and what he beat wasn't too much better. Apart from Spinks, Holmes (who was only a million years old), Bruno at a stretch; the other names on his list were decent at best [at the time of the fights]. Lost to Holyfield, stopped by Lewis, dodged Bowe/Tua etc. Sure there were some tough fights on paper against good fighters but other than the above, there aren't any real standout wins.

In sports, particularly boxing it's always 'older is better'. Whilst the mentality is fair enough and I agree to it to some point, it discredits what lots of people are doing now. I remember someone telling me after Golovkin - Canelo 1 that there aren't any exciting middleweights anymore and there haven't been knockouts since Hagler. Where in reality at the time Golovkin had a higher KO% than Hagler. These 'all time' lists from 'experts' always have a huge American bias. The welterweight division from the mid 90s to until after 2010 was exceptional and many of those fighters will be inducted to the hall of fame, but people still claim that Mayweather for example had it easy because there aren't hard fights out there. Mosley, De La Hoya, Cotto, Marquez etc would have been brilliant in any era and people will probably wax lyrical over them in 20 years time.

You're much better at adding than I am. Regardless, I don't feel that Fury has a case for 'robbery'.
I still think Tyson (the early Tyson) was one of the most talented defensive boxers theres ever been

People forget his movement, how difficult he was to hit and how explosive he could be

Would the early Tyson have beaten Holyfield and Lewis I am not sure but the fights would have been much closer

Styles defo make fights and I think a number of the greats might have caused Tyson problems (and vice versa)
Old 10-12-19, 01:21 PM   #8624
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
The first 4 middleweights were amongst the best there has ever been. Still not sure Duran would have beaten Canelo or GGG. SRL and Hagler would beat both of them no problem and Hearns would be just Hearns ie if he hits you you are in trouble if you hit him hes in trouble
Duran wasn't an ATG middleweight.

He was however quite probably the greatest lightweight boxer there has ever been.
Old 10-12-19, 01:22 PM   #8625
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:

4 Kings is a great read and so is his Ali book also
Old 10-12-19, 01:23 PM   #8626
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Duran wasn't an ATG middleweight.

He was however quite probably the greatest lightweight boxer there has ever been.
Its hard to judge how good Duran actually was because he was always on the piss
Old 10-12-19, 01:29 PM   #8627
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Probably the greatest era of heavyweights was Ali through to Holmes

Some monster fighters during that period Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Holmes

Think any of them would win a title no problem in todays heavyweight division
Old 10-12-19, 03:18 PM   #8628
fidget
Shankly

Quote:

I've not seen much of Tubbs, Thomas or Tucker so it's hard to comment how they'd do in this day and age. My abiding memory of Razor Ruddock is Lewis demolishing him in 2 or 3 rounds.

When discussing today's heavyweights and how they'd fair against the fighters of the past i think you've got to take into account the sheer size of the fighters today. We're living in the world of the Super Heavy where you've got 6'9 guys waltzing around like ballerinas.
Of course my money was on Lewis The bet was made at even money but he had to pay me 2-1 if it was a fearful one sided beating.He paid.
I also had a sizeable sum on him winning in rounds 6 through to 9 which was nice.
Had a months wages on him at 6/5 to beat Gary Mason too.
I don't think there is any heavyweight in history who I'd pick to beat Lewis over a three fight series.Had the pleasure of watching him a few times including the first Holyfield fight and the cardiff fight against Bruno. A giant 17 and a half stone athlete.
Old 12-12-19, 02:52 PM   #8629
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Of course my money was on Lewis The bet was made at even money but he had to pay me 2-1 if it was a fearful one sided beating.He paid.
I also had a sizeable sum on him winning in rounds 6 through to 9 which was nice.
Had a months wages on him at 6/5 to beat Gary Mason too.
I don't think there is any heavyweight in history who I'd pick to beat Lewis over a three fight series.Had the pleasure of watching him a few times including the first Holyfield fight and the cardiff fight against Bruno. A giant 17 and a half stone athlete.
good stuff

Gary Mason apparently lost a fortune trying to setup a professional arm wrestling league in the UK

RIP Gary
Old 13-12-19, 04:57 PM   #8630
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

That's Over The Top
Old 13-12-19, 05:22 PM   #8631
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
good stuff

Gary Mason apparently lost a fortune trying to setup a professional arm wrestling league in the UK

RIP Gary
That was a good year as I got 2-1 for Terry Norris to beat Ray Leonard too
Old 13-12-19, 06:11 PM   #8632
spud_gun
Paisley

Aye, aye how about anything on Kirkland Laing beating Roberto Duran ?
Old 13-12-19, 08:07 PM   #8633
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Aye, aye how about anything on Kirkland Laing beating Roberto Duran ?
I was only 13
I fucking loved Kirland Laing.Saw him get knocked out by Buck Smith at the Albert Hall and was gutted.
Most of my bigger bets have been opposing outmatched british fighters but I'll have a little bet if I see value.
A nice touch was 11-1 for Sugar Boy Malinga to beat Robin Reid on points.
Started out with Frank Tate against Tony Sibson and never looked back.
Ricky Hatton has paid for two holidays.
I've had four figure bets on Floyd Mayweather twice but bottled betting on the De La Hoya fight at the last minute as I was worried about the huge weight difference and dodgy scoring.
Old 14-12-19, 02:16 AM   #8634
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
That's Over The Top
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-19, 07:32 PM   #8635
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-19, 03:07 PM   #8636
Zapater
Dalglish

Wrong thread
Old 12-02-20, 10:29 PM   #8637
Zapater
Dalglish

James Thunder passed away, only 53. I enjoyed watching him fight, although clearly he wasn't elite. Definitely suffered ill effects from his time in the ring. Heavy hands.
Old 17-02-20, 09:55 PM   #8638
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
PPV price of 24.95

I'm getting far too old to be staying up to 5am for the ring walks.

That price point may just have tipped me into the 'meh, i'll give it a miss' category.
Old 18-02-20, 06:31 PM   #8639
Mr Darko
Benitez

Any predictions for this weekend (Fury vs Wilder II)?

Have a feeling Wilder will KO him early this time (Round 5) - I don't think Wilder took Fury seriously in the first fight but will know he's vulnerable and lacks power.

Secondary prediction: Assuming it isn't a draw, I don't think we'll see the winner fight AJ this year.
Mr Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-20, 07:15 PM   #8640
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fury to outbox him and win on points.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports