It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 28-02-14, 09:34 AM   #1441
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Oooooooooooooooh!!!!!

Quote:
Kevin Pietersen ‏@KP24
Fewer Q&A's, more Sussex nets methinks, @MattPrior13! #josbuttler ��
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 09:35 AM   #1442
Chazza
Des Lynam

Can't help himself.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 09:36 AM   #1443
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He's fucking right

Getting some stick on Twitter but he's entitled to have a go back. He outperformed Prior in Oz anyway.
Old 28-02-14, 09:45 AM   #1444
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Fingers crossed.

It's a shame cos I've loved Prior for England but reading that he just sounds like a brown-nosing lickspittle.
Exactly how I feel.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 09:46 AM   #1445
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Oooooooooooooooh!!!!!
Old 28-02-14, 10:44 AM   #1446
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Julie Gould ‏@rabbitsj70
@KP24 @MattPrior13 I'm sorry KP, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Don't know what to say. Be strong don't let it get to you
Quote:
Kevin Pietersen ‏@KP24
@rabbitsj70 I'm always strong! The Big Cheese won't be happy in the Sussex nets...haha
Old 28-02-14, 11:02 AM   #1447
Sarb
Doomed, we're all doomed!

Prior is a fucking dickhead. Should go back to throwing jelly beans on the pitch
Sarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 01:14 PM   #1448
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

What would prior know about the dressing room post KP? He's not in it on account of him being dropped for being shit for 12 months.
Old 03-03-14, 09:20 PM   #1449
Chazza
Des Lynam

Didn't see this coming.

Quote:
Smith announces retirement from International cricket

Castle Lager Proteas Test captain, Graeme Smith, will end his 347-match International career after the third Sunfoil Test against Australia at Sahara Park Newlands.

Smith broke the news to his team mates after close of play earlier today.

Speaking of his decision Smith said: "This has been the most difficult decision I have ever had to make in my life. It's a decision that I have been considering since my ankle surgery in April last year. I have a young family to consider, and I felt that retiring at Newlands would be the best way to end it because I have called this place home since I was 18 years-old.

"I have always been someone who has left everything out there on the field for my team and for my country. I'm extremely honoured and proud to have had the privilege to lead so many wonderful players and to have been a part of building the Proteas culture to what it is today. It is a culture that every player can be, and is, immensely proud of," Smith continued.

"I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the support from my parents and brother, my wife and children, my friends, my sponsors, my fans and to Cricket South Africa. I thank and honour the players who I have played with and those who have supported me and helped me to be the person and captain I am today. I have been fortunate to have had many highs, amongst them leading and being part of the best Test team in the world. I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I bid my career a fond yet sad farewell," the 33-year-old added.

Cricket South Africa reacted with surprise to Smith's decision, but CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat, was full of praise for the contribution made by one of the true legends of the game.

"Although Graeme's decision to retire from all forms of international cricket comes as a surprise to all of us, we must respect him for deciding to call time," commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat. "Knowing him as well as I do, having been instrumental as a selector in appointing him as a young captain, he would not have taken this decision lightly or without a great deal of thought.

"He has captained the Proteas for more than a decade and he will draw a lot more satisfaction from the fact that he leaves our Test team at the top of the world and in such good health rather than from all the personal records he has achieved as the longest-serving captain the game has ever seen in the demanding Test format. He also led South Africa to the World Cup semi-final in 2007.

"I would like us to remember Graeme for his nerves of steel and his match-winning performances that were synonymous with some of the most remarkable fourth innings victory chases of all time. These included setting up the 414 runs chase against Australia at Perth and his series-clinching innings at Edgbaston in 2008, not to mention the unbeaten century the last time he faced Australia at Sahara Park Newlands in 2011.

"His role in setting up the famous 438 win over Australia in 2006 was also a performance never to be forgotten.

"He can leave the game with pride and he thoroughly deserves the gratitude of our nation for leading the Proteas with much distinction. From a personal point of view I am thrilled that I was part of the panel that appointed him captain in 2003 when his first major assignment was a tough tour to England and I feel privileged to see him now move on to the next stage of his career. He has been a mighty warrior, a leader of men and an exceptional part of our international cricket.

"Following the recent retirement of Jacques Kallis from Test cricket, there is no doubt that we are now ready to move into a new era and it is our job to build on the solid foundations that these great players leave behind."
Smith made his first-class debut for South Africa at the age of 21, and ends his illustrious career with 17 228 International runs and as the most capped Test captain in the history of the game. "
http://www.cricket.co.za/news_articl...ction=news_all
Old 03-03-14, 09:24 PM   #1450
RichC
Meh

Wow, that's a massive shock tbh and he's only 33 certainly got a few more years left.

I wonder if the IPL is looking attractive to him at the moment
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:28 PM   #1451
Chazza
Des Lynam

295 matches as captain over 11 years.

Pretty impressive.
Old 03-03-14, 09:31 PM   #1452
RichC
Meh

Aye very impressive.
Old 04-03-14, 04:41 AM   #1453
Beastie
Houllier

Quote:
Being dropped "quite literally wrenched my heart out".

No it didn't Prior. No it didn't.
Sorry Shaggy, but just to keep you up to date. It can now be used figuratively.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/acco...vely_newscred/
Beastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:19 AM   #1454
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Suarez View Post
Sorry Shaggy, but just to keep you up to date. It can now be used figuratively.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/acco...vely_newscred/
Totally not having that. Shit dictionary. If the OED changes its meaning I'll concede.
Old 04-03-14, 09:22 AM   #1455
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cri...-childish.html

Quote:
Kevin Pietersen row reignites as former England team-mate Graeme Swann calls him childish

The Kevin Pietersen row was reignited by Matt Prior's comments and now Graeme Swann and Piers Morgan have added fuel to the fire

Graeme Swann accused Kevin Pietersen of “upsetting people wherever he goes” as the damaging divisions between the controversial batsman and his former team-mates flared up on Friday.

On another fractious day for English cricket, three of the most senior Test players of the past decade traded insults, leaving the England and Wales Cricket Board’s attempts to move on from the Ashes debacle in Australia this winter in disarray.

Swann insisted the ECB’s decision to terminate Pietersen’s international career after the Ashes whitewash had been justified, and said he had not wanted “childish” Pietersen to return to the England team after he was dropped for disciplinary reasons in 2012.

Swann went further than any other England official or player in his attempt to explain why Pietersen had been axed, but still failed to offer any specific breaches of discipline, claiming instead he recalled “little things” Pietersen had been guilty of during the Ashes tour.

Swann retired from cricket suddenly mid-series, claiming he could no longer play the game to Test standard. He made his comments during an appearance on the BBC’s Test Match Special, for whom he is now commentating.

He said of Pietersen: “I’ve not heard of specific instances that took place on the last three weeks of the tour, when I wasn’t there, but little things are getting back to me. I was all for never having him back in the team after the Strauss affair [in 2012] but Cook and Prior talked me round. Kevin is a world-class player but he does upset people wherever he goes.”

Swann’s comments followed Pietersen’s criticism of Prior on Friday morning, which itself had been prompted by the wicketkeeper saying that the England dressing room was a better place without Pietersen.

Prior had been instrumental in Pietersen’s return to the Test team in 2012, but their relationship soured in Australia this winter, and broke down completely after a highly-charged team meeting in Melbourne.

Piers Morgan, the celebrity interviewer who has been acting as Pietersen’s unofficial spokesman, has repeatedly accused Prior of disloyalty, prompting other England players to issue messages of support for Prior.

The wicketkeeper reopened the feud at a question-and-answer session in Dubai on Thursday evening, when he said Pietersen’s absence would improve the atmosphere in the England dressing room.

Pietersen responded via Twitter, taunting Prior over the fact he has lost his place in the England set-up and is now trying to regain his best form as part of his county’s preparations for the new season.

Pietersen said: “Fewer Q&As more Sussex nets methinks.” He added: “County nets! Not where ‘Big Cheese’ wants to play his cricket.”

‘Big Cheese’ refers to a nickname held by Prior in the England dressing room at points during his career.

The ECB has been criticised for its failure to explain exactly why Pietersen was dropped by England, or detail any disciplinary breaches, but Swann said he thought Prior and Pietersen should have aired their dispute in private.

“Matt’s been a bit naive and Kev’s come back in a childish way,” Swann said. “Gone are the days of phoning someone up and thrashing it out; it involves a million people on Twitter these days.

“I still don’t know what exactly happened but I’ve been assured by the one or two friends I still have in the team that things did happen. I’m as intrigued as anyone because Matt was one of Kev’s biggest allies.

“Matt was one of the reasons why Kev was reintegrated back into the team when a lot of players, myself included, were thinking there’s no way he should play again after what he did to Andrew Strauss [against South Africa]. But guys like Alastair Cook and Matt Prior talked us round. They said Kevin can change and he did for the 18 months or so that I was involved.

“People talk about Sir Alex Ferguson being the best man-manager in English football, but when anyone got on the bad side of him, he got rid of them – like David Beckham, Jaap Stam or Roy Keane.”

Swann’s assessment of Pietersen was seized on by Morgan, who said: “Swann stabbing Kevin Pietersen in the back again, just as he stabbed all his colleagues in the back by quitting this winter. Gutless coward.”

Morgan then made reference to the relative inexperience of the England team playing in yesterday’s one-day international against the West Indies in Antigua.

Singling out bowler Chris Jordan, playing in his sixth one-day international, Morgan said: “How can any sane human being think Chris Jordan should be picked for England, and Kevin Pietersen dropped? ECB clowns.”

Pietersen is subject to a gagging clause which was part of his severance package from the ECB. That prevents him from detailing the events which led to his expulsion from the England team, but it will expire in the autumn, when he is expected to tell his side of the story in an autobiography.

Cook, who has been retained as England’s Test captain despite the whitewash, has yet to make any public comment on the decision over Pietersen. Andy Flower left his position as England’s head coach in the aftermath of the Ashes series, having endured a strained relationship with Pietersen for two years.
Old 04-03-14, 09:25 AM   #1456
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Intriguing final test in SA. Aus lead by about 265 with 10 wickets in hand.
Old 04-03-14, 09:29 AM   #1457
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Totally not having that. Shit dictionary. If the OED changes its meaning I'll concede.
It has been

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...lish/literally

Think youll need to concede
Old 04-03-14, 09:32 AM   #1458
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Oh.

I find that ridiculous. How can it mean two things that are essentially opposite? The opposite of literally was always figuratively. Now literally means both? What a joke. I blame Jamie Redknapp.
Old 04-03-14, 09:33 AM   #1459
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Mind you the OED also says "it is not acceptable in formal contexts, though it is widespread". So that's good enough for me.
Old 04-03-14, 12:29 PM   #1460
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

What a player Warner has become. Another hundred.
Old 04-03-14, 01:56 PM   #1461
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Mitchell Johnson gets Smith AGAIN and Smith's career is over.

SA 12-2 chasing 500+ in a day and a bit. Game over.
Old 04-03-14, 01:58 PM   #1462
RichC
Meh

I didn't realise how far we'd fallen in all forms of the game.

4th in tests
5th in ODI
8th in twenty20's

Not great at the moment and I really can't see Ashley Giles as being the man to turn our fortunes around either.
Old 04-03-14, 02:10 PM   #1463
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

15-3. Johnson spreadeagles Elgar's stumps.
Old 05-03-14, 02:12 PM   #1464
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

What a finish this is. SA 201-7 at tea. Australia need 3 wickets in the final session to win the series.
Old 05-03-14, 03:50 PM   #1465
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

15 overs left, SA 259-8.

Look at this for a stat

Quote:
Simon Wilde ‏@swildecricket
Mitchell Johnson v Graeme Smith in this series: 13 balls, 17 runs, four wickets
Old 05-03-14, 03:56 PM   #1466
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Philander gone. Another brutal delivery from Johnson.

OVERTURNED! Lehmann is steaming.
Old 05-03-14, 03:58 PM   #1467
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Steyn and Clarke facing each other up, Clarke shouting "SHUT THE FUCK UP" to a seriously pumped Steyn. Real needle.
Old 05-03-14, 04:00 PM   #1468
RichC
Meh

I can't stand either of the fuckers but Clarke is someone I really dislike.
Old 05-03-14, 04:01 PM   #1469
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Gonna be some last hour this. 14 overs to go. Well worth watching if you can.

Philander 45 not out
Old 05-03-14, 04:26 PM   #1470
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

It really is ridiculous. A wonderful Test series, arguably the best two teams in the world, slugging it out and near inseparable. Why are they stopping after just 3 Tests? So they can have 3 slogging contests. What a joke.
Old 05-03-14, 05:02 PM   #1471
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Ryan Harris takes the last two. SA beaten in their own back yard. Incredible stuff from the Aussies, fair play.
Old 05-03-14, 05:04 PM   #1472
spud_gun
Paisley

Test cricket, eh?

what a series
Old 06-03-14, 11:40 AM   #1473
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Sky Sports Cricket ‏@SkyCricket
Jonathan Trott in gym.He'll talk about comeback and why he left Ashes in a Sky Sports documentary coming soon pic.twitter.com/jCH3dxhFCp

Old 07-03-14, 11:30 AM   #1474
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Trotty is now on Twitter! @Trotty

Quote:
Jonathan Trott ‏@Trotty
Thrilled to confirm I will return for @CricketingBears vs Gloucs on 1st April. Thanks to everyone for such amazing support #youbears
Old 07-03-14, 11:38 AM   #1475
Alex
Administrator

Anyone see his Interview last night? What was the reasons behind his departure?
Old 07-03-14, 11:41 AM   #1476
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

What interview?
Old 07-03-14, 11:42 AM   #1477
Alex
Administrator

They were trailing one on SSN for 7pm last night I thought.
Old 09-03-14, 07:02 PM   #1478
RichC
Meh

England vs West Indies has started well for the Windies.

4 balls - 14 runs
Old 14-03-14, 11:52 AM   #1479
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
BBC TMS ‏@bbctms
On Monday evening @bbc5live you'll have the chance to hear an in-depth and revealing interview with @Trotty speaking to @patmurphybbc
Quote:
BBC TMS ‏@bbctms
Trott will explain exactly why he had to leave the tour of Australia and why he expects to play for England again #bbccricket
Old 14-03-14, 12:02 PM   #1480
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ack?CMP=twt_gu

Quote:
Jonathan Trott expresses 'guilt' over Ashes exit and plans England comeback

• Trott says burnout was reason for early Australia departure
• Batsman wants to play in one-day internationals this spring

Andy Wilson

theguardian.com, Friday 14 March 2014 11.00 GMT

Jonathan Trott has spoken of his "guilt" at leaving England's Ashes tour after one Test last November, denied that his abrupt departure was triggered by Mitchell Johnson – and set his sights on an immediate comeback to international cricket in the one-day internationals against Scotland and Sri Lanka this spring.

In an extensive interview with the former England batsman Ian Ward, which will be broadcast on Sky Sports on Sunday night, Trott admitted that he was worried he might be regarded as a "nutcase" after flying home because of what was described at the time as "a stress-related illness" – but that he is now convinced was burnout, as opposed to the type of depression that led Marcus Trescothick to leave a previous Ashes tour.

"I remember day two or day three [of the first Test in Brisbane, where he was dismissed cheaply by Johnson in each innings and mocked by Australia's opener David Warner], it was a bit of a blur," the 32-year-old recalled.

"I was getting headaches and all sorts of things and I wasn't eating properly towards the end and that's when the sleep started getting disruptive and emotionally that was probably when I was worst and it just boiled over," said Trott. "I had nothing left in the tank or the battery – mentally and emotionally pretty drained.

"In Brisbane I spoke to the doc [England's team doctor] and on one of the last nights I was there he said, 'You know if I was in the situation and I was a GP I'd sign you off for three weeks from work and say come back and see me in three weeks'. But we're on an Ashes tour and you can't do that, so I didn't have anywhere to go really, so I made the decision along with everyone else that it was the best option."

Trott had already left the country before his departure was announced by England's managing director, Hugh Morris, and the team director, Andy Flower ,in a Brisbane hotel the day after the Test. "It was really weird," Trott said. "I woke up in Hong Kong and the news was about to break in Australia I'd left so it was really strange, and then the guys walked out at Adelaide [for the second Test] and things didn't go well and a feeling of guilt started kicking in.

"I'd experienced a lot of success with England and a lot of good times and not many bad times and seeing the guys struggling out there was pretty tough in that I should have been there going through the tough times. That was the hardest thing for me – to be in contact with the guys and them thinking he's at home with the central heating on and watching it on TV. That was probably the toughest thing being at home while the other guys are getting a bit of a barrage in Australia and I'm what felt like a million miles away from it."

He added: "It's pretty difficult to put into words the emotions to walk away from an Ashes tour – it's something I never thought I'd have to do and something I hope no cricketer has to do again. It was very difficult to do at the time, it was the right decision no doubt, it was something that came about through no one else's fault other than the situation I found myself in; wanting to do so well for England. I tried my hardest and ended up finding out myself I had nothing left to give.

"I wasn't helping anyone by being there so coming back was the only option, because on that kind of tour you can't carry anybody. It was very difficult for me to operate close to 100% or even 50% of what I was capable of. I didn't have the emotional energy or the mental energy to get there. Throughout the summer I was getting to 40 and 50 and I just couldn't watch the ball as hard as I normally do. It just wasn't there for some reason, whether I was thinking too much about cricket off the field and just burning myself out that way or just trying too hard."

Trott added: "It was difficult when I got home in that I switched on the TV when the guys walked out at Adelaide and I was a little bit worried about going out in public because people look at you and I'd been all over the press and you don't know what people are thinking. You know, they think 'There goes that nutcase' or whatever and you're not quite sure what people's perceptions are because anybody would want to go on an Ashes tour and play in an Ashes and he's just walked away from that and it was tough. People come up to you and say, 'It's good to see you're out and about' and I'm like, 'I'm not crazy I was just burnt out'."

Asked by Ward about the more cynical interpretation – that he had been "duffed up by Mitchell Johnson [and] you just couldn't handle him", Trott answered: "I'm sure people will think that, and people have said it, but it didn't matter who was bowling, and that's the hardest part to accept. It doesn't matter if it was 100mph or 90mph or 60mph it all pretty much felt the same."

As a centrally contracted player, Trott has remained in close touch with the England medical staff throughout the winter, and certainly gives an impression of confidence that he will be recalled this summer. "I feel I've got a bit of unfinished business with England and also repaying people's trust and the work people have put in with me in the last four months," he said.

"I know there's a Scotland game at the beginning of May. That would be a good game to get back into the mix, back into the squad environment and then at the end of the month there's Sri Lanka. I don't want to be one of those cricketers who picks and chooses. I want to be available from the word go.

"I remember almost to the day, six weeks after I got back, I was driving and I remember thinking if I had to go out and bat now at Brisbane, six weeks later after no cricket, I'd feel a lot more confident than I did when I did go out there and play. I'll probably be under a cloud for a bit: that 'he left an Ashes tour, is he going to be OK, is he going to be able to come back?' and I certainly feel I can. I just hope I can prove it."

Trott is due to make his comeback for Warwickshire in a pre-season fixture against Gloucestershire at Edgbaston on 1-2 April.

Watch the full programme Jonathan Trott: Burn Out on Sunday, 16 March at 7pm on Sky Sports 1

est1892 > General > General Sports