It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 06-09-20, 10:34 PM   #401
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

It's fucking funny all the same ha ha!

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 05:37 PM   #402
Zapater
Dalglish

Fair enough because the rules are the rules but further highlights my unpopular opinion that tennis has such a pussy culture. I think football is pretty soft these days, but there wouldn't be the same fallout if a player booted a ball and it happened to smash a ball boy in the face. Obviously there would be a bit of an uproar but it'd disappear.

She went down like a sack of potatoes and really embellished it. You'd swear that Mike Tyson landed a trademark uppercut on her after that shriek.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 05:56 PM   #403
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

There are too many ridiculous elements to that.

A pussy culture - it’s tennis FFS. Also, if you get hit on the throat by a ball it will hurt. You’ll not need hospital, but it will hurt.

Football wise I forget which player it was (Arsenal) but they got suspended for a few games for pushing over a ball boy.

Every sport needs rules.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 06:09 PM   #404
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
There are too many ridiculous elements to that.

A pussy culture - itís tennis FFS. Also, if you get hit on the throat by a ball it will hurt. Youíll not need hospital, but it will hurt.

Football wise I forget which player it was (Arsenal) but they got suspended for a few games for pushing over a ball boy.

Every sport needs rules.
Except if Serena does it, she will cry sexism and racism and half of the world will turn on the officials. Huge double standard.

If you read my comments I say, that I agree due to the nature of the rules. Just think the sports takes itself too seriously.

In terms of it being soft, I mean the culture of the sport overall. The need for quiet, the apologising for hitting the ball off the net etc. It's unnecessarily sanitised, harden up. Imagine telling the opposition not not sledge you in cricket or the crowd to not make a noise, a sport where concentration is 100 times more essential than tennis (batting wise anyway).

I've teed off in golf with my mates making a racket behind me and belted 250m+ drives straight down the line. I'm not a great golfer, but if I can concentrate with that, how can Djokovic not serve if one person in attendance starts coughing ffs...
Old 07-09-20, 06:29 PM   #405
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
but there wouldn't be the same fallout if a player booted a ball and it happened to smash a ball boy in the face. Obviously there would be a bit of an uproar but it'd disappear.
The player would be sent off. And banned.
Old 07-09-20, 06:48 PM   #406
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Except if Serena does it, she will cry sexism and racism and half of the world will turn on the officials. Huge double standard.

If you read my comments I say, that I agree due to the nature of the rules. Just think the sports takes itself too seriously.

In terms of it being soft, I mean the culture of the sport overall. The need for quiet, the apologising for hitting the ball off the net etc. It's unnecessarily sanitised, harden up. Imagine telling the opposition not not sledge you in cricket or the crowd to not make a noise, a sport where concentration is 100 times more essential than tennis (batting wise anyway).

I've teed off in golf with my mates making a racket behind me and belted 250m+ drives straight down the line. I'm not a great golfer, but if I can concentrate with that, how can Djokovic not serve if one person in attendance starts coughing ffs...
No disrespect to your golf level, but itís not as far as Iím aware elite level so you canít really compare you and your mates with Djokovic. Plus. They ask for people to be quiet at golf as well.

I donít have any issues with culture in Tennis personally and itís about as physically demanding a sport to excel in as you can find.
Old 07-09-20, 06:57 PM   #407
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
The player would be sent off. And banned.
Would depend on the intent. As I say, it's far from conclusive that this incident was intentional.

Quote:
No disrespect to your golf level, but itís not as far as Iím aware elite level so you canít really compare you and your mates with Djokovic. Plus. They ask for people to be quiet at golf as well.

I donít have any issues with culture in Tennis personally and itís about as physically demanding a sport to excel in as you can find.
I'm an awful golfer and was obviously eluding more to the concentration than the level, but fair enough. Not sure why you're so up in arms about it, I believe that it's a soft sport and therefore creates entitled, petulant competitors. I know that my opinion is unpopular (as initially stated) and I'll continue to believe it.
Old 07-09-20, 07:07 PM   #408
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’m not up in arms FFS - I just disagree!

It definitely wasn’t intentional.

But. You cant let someone away with it no matter what the level. He hit it hard enough to someone paying no intention. You could hit someone in the eye and that would cause a lot of damage. There is no level of blame at the line judge the ball wasn’t in play.

It’s a rule. He knows the rule. He was being petulant again and he was unlucky. But there isn’t a single person from within the sport that thinks he got anything other than what he deserved. He would have been cautioned for a code violation if he hadn’t hit the line judge and apparently should have already received on earlier which ironically may have stopped this event happening.

A costly mistake but a mistake nonetheless, that is written into the rules.

I play tennis a lot (or used to pre Covid) so know the personalities, and yes, a lot of them are annoying as fuck. But it’s a great game
Old 07-09-20, 07:20 PM   #409
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Iím not up in arms FFS - I just disagree!

It definitely wasnít intentional.

But. You cant let someone away with it no matter what the level. He hit it hard enough to someone paying no intention. You could hit someone in the eye and that would cause a lot of damage. There is no level of blame at the line judge the ball wasnít in play.

Itís a rule. He knows the rule. He was being petulant again and he was unlucky. But there isnít a single person from within the sport that thinks he got anything other than what he deserved. He would have been cautioned for a code violation if he hadnít hit the line judge and apparently should have already received on earlier which ironically may have stopped this event happening.

A costly mistake but a mistake nonetheless, that is written into the rules.

I play tennis a lot (or used to pre Covid) so know the personalities, and yes, a lot of them are annoying as fuck. But itís a great game
I agree with the decision (stated for the third time now). Just feel this is a storm in a teacup and that people are making too much of it. I also feel that the lady who was hit with the ball did the same.

I watch/played cricket, boxing, football and rugby traditionally. Perhaps these are more 'working class' minus the cricket. I enjoy the grandslams so have tuned in over the last 15 or 20 years. I don't claim to be an expert or familiar with the nuances but this is how it comes across to me.
Old 07-09-20, 07:56 PM   #410
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

We’ve sucked the life out of this conversation now I reckon!

est1892 > General > General Sports