It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 23-03-22, 06:58 PM   #2001
badpiggy
Special Kind of Scum

I'm not sure a professional mma fighter in his 20s is beyond redemption in terms of saying stupid stuff. It's when you're in your 50s and 60s - a la Trump and Brexit voters - and you're still seeing the foreigners as the problem but for some reason thinking that Jacob Rees Mogg and the fuckin Trump family understand your pain that maybe they ship has sailed. I've definitely pulled back from labeling people racist or homophobic etc and it can land you in trouble in some cases but I equally tired eventually of a left wing habit of calling everyone a fascist and anyone who went to college in the 90s knows exactly what I'm talking about. In my life I've met some really decent people who held abhorrent views and the biggest wankers I've ever met was at a Godspeed You Black Emperor gig. Mind you, I'd imagine there's a hell of a lot worse at any ufc event so who can say ffs. In fact it would be my vision of hell but that's just me.
"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"
badpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-22, 10:18 PM   #2002
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
I'm not sure a professional mma fighter in his 20s is beyond redemption in terms of saying stupid stuff. It's when you're in your 50s and 60s - a la Trump and Brexit voters - and you're still seeing the foreigners as the problem but for some reason thinking that Jacob Rees Mogg and the fuckin Trump family understand your pain that maybe they ship has sailed. I've definitely pulled back from labeling people racist or homophobic etc and it can land you in trouble in some cases but I equally tired eventually of a left wing habit of calling everyone a fascist and anyone who went to college in the 90s knows exactly what I'm talking about. In my life I've met some really decent people who held abhorrent views and the biggest wankers I've ever met was at a Godspeed You Black Emperor gig. Mind you, I'd imagine there's a hell of a lot worse at any ufc event so who can say ffs. In fact it would be my vision of hell but that's just me.

I'm not saying the man is totally beyond redemption, as time will tell on that, I'm saying he has been a prick, who for the past few years has been spouting off xenophobic and racist garbage.

And I am saying that when called on his comments he seems to not be learning from people being offended by what he says and instead tries to either double down on the insult or call them names for calling him out.

I really would not be using the likes of Trump as an example though as he showed plenty of racist and sexist behaviour from a young age so Trump is an example of how a young guy can keep those views for life and not change at all as he ages.

As for you pulling back on calling people racist/homophobic, for me it is actually a simple process sometimes when deciding if a person is racist or homophobic because usually the guy or girl making homophobic or racist comments in a derogative manner is a homophobe or racist and if they do not want to be called either then stop acting like ether.

It is a bit like being dead. You are either dead or not dead, you cannot be a little bit dead. Same with the person who makes racist comments in a discriminatory manner, you cannot just be a little bit racist if you do so.
Old 23-03-22, 10:56 PM   #2003
badpiggy
Special Kind of Scum

Oh yeah of course there are clear cut cases of proper derogatory one-superior-race type twats and that's straightforward. I had a quick look about Paddy Pimblett and I honestly don't know if I'd classify his comments about that guy not representing the UK or England or whatever cos he wasn't born there as racist in the same way as someone has unchangeable - and inferior - characteristics based on race. He's obviously a bit of a fuckin clown and a bit ignorant but I guess here's an example of of where I'm reluctant to call someone a racist. Stupid, ignorant etc sure but is it evidence that he thinks one race is superior to another? Dunno. This is me potentially having another Tommy Robinson moment btw...
"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"
badpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-22, 11:09 PM   #2004
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
Oh yeah of course there are clear cut cases of proper derogatory one-superior-race type twats and that's straightforward. I had a quick look about Paddy Pimblett and I honestly don't know if I'd classify his comments about that guy not representing the UK or England or whatever cos he wasn't born there as racist in the same way as someone has unchangeable - and inferior - characteristics based on race. He's obviously a bit of a fuckin clown and a bit ignorant but I guess here's an example of of where I'm reluctant to call someone a racist. Stupid, ignorant etc sure but is it evidence that he thinks one race is superior to another? Dunno. This is me potentially having another Tommy Robinson moment btw...

Well he did suggest that the Georgian people were in some way inferior to the Russians and did make comments about immigrants in the UK and threw in the usual staple of immigrants being unable to speak or spell properly in english (ironic of him to comment on their ability to spell once you read some of his tweets )

For me a person might make one or two mistakes when talking about another culture or race, especially if one does not have much first hand experience, but most people tend to own a genuine error when they make it and not double done on comments and/or go on the attack when called on their comments.

His comments are open to interpretation of course, and that interpretation will differ from person to person, but for me I think if there is a pattern of two or three years of similar comments then it starts to stop looking like simple ignorance and more like the signs of an entrenched pov.

I might be completely wrong, I might be right, or I might be having a staring contest with the cat on my lap whilst trying to type.

Look on the bright side though, Mr Retired for the 257th time McGregor is back talking about fighting again so we will have him back to distract one and all.
Old 24-03-22, 09:42 AM   #2005
Alex
Administrator

Do you not think its possible that hes simply just a moron?
Old 24-03-22, 10:05 AM   #2006
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Do you not think its possible that hes simply just a moron?
Of course it is possible. Hence me having said things like

Quote:
I'm not saying the man is totally beyond redemption, as time will tell on that, I'm saying he has been a prick, who for the past few years has been spouting off xenophobic and racist garbage.

Though I am not sure if being a moron is enough of a defence for a person to be saying horrible things for a number of years.

If a person is moron, they still need to be made understand that words can have an impact and if they want to continue to be a moron after attempts to explain why some things may be offensive, then there still has to be accountability for what they say.

Is not like I am saying he should be shot or put in a gulag. Well I am not going to openly say that anyway

Personally I think he may have some very small minded views with regards to people he regards as foreign or different to him, and the fact he has made comments over a sustained period right up to present times, rather than it being comments from years and years ago, suggests he is become more entrenched in a certain mindset rather than figuring out better ways to articulate his pov or simply learning to accept different cultures/nationalities and/or see a bigger picture.

Time will tell I suppose. He might be a moron, he might be xenopohobic, he might simply be a bit ignorant, he might well be very immature for his age, he might be all of those things, some of those things or none of those things.

Did hear that he thinks Elden Ring is shit and that those that like it are a bit shit too. He says folk that love Sniper Elte are boss though.
Old 24-03-22, 10:32 AM   #2007
spud_gun
Paisley

I see Paddy 'The Baddy' got 12k to fight and 12k win bonus + 50k fight of the night bonus on Sat.

2nd top of the bill and he could have walked away with 12k

And they say boxing is a racket.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-22, 10:44 AM   #2008
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
I see Paddy 'The Baddy' got 12k to fight and 12k win bonus + 50k fight of the night bonus on Sat.

2nd top of the bill and he could have walked away with 12k

And they say boxing is a racket.

Boxing is a racket, but those are silly numbers for him tbh. That bonus system was a joke. Baseline numbers are way too low.

est1892 > General > General Sports