It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 03-08-22, 05:23 PM   #41
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post

It's not infalible though. It sees Everton finishing a comfortable 14th
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 04-08-22, 01:48 AM   #42
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
£58k a week, not to be sniffed at.

https://twitter.com/toryboypierce/st...19178345705473
More than I earn and I have a Masters of Architecture degree at Uni that took 6 years.

Should've dropped out of school and driven trains

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 02:05 AM   #43
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

For three mill a year, I’d push the train
Old 04-08-22, 03:35 AM   #44
Sus
Fagan

They should just give us the trophy now

Though I did see another supercomputer prediction (Nate Silver's 538, I think) - which gave city a 60%+ chance of the title, and us less than 33% - so let's ignore that one, clearly wrong
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 02:33 PM   #45
Irishnev
Paisley

I’m a long time listener to these lads and I think they are up there with the best for stats driven analysis of Liverpool. This is their season preview - if you like stats based info then you’ll like this

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 05:25 PM   #46
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Rob Green

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62354857
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 05:38 PM   #47
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
An improvement on last season, when half of them had us finishing 4th and Chelsea winning the league.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 08:21 AM   #48
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Jota, Konate, Keita, Ox, Jones, Tsimikas, Kelleher and possibly Alisson injured for the first game. 8 already. Annoying as fuck.
Old 05-08-22, 08:27 AM   #49
Harv
Randy Marsh

How did Keith get injured again ffs??

At least non of them are overly serious (not factoring in Ox as he's shit and never plays anyway)

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Old 05-08-22, 08:31 AM   #50
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

He (Keita) missed that ridiculous Strasbourg friendly with an injury.
Old 05-08-22, 08:37 AM   #51
Harv
Randy Marsh

He played against City though didn't he? It was late here and I was half asleep by the time the game finished, but I don't recall him going off injured. Weird.

Mustn't be too bad anyway

Old 05-08-22, 08:41 AM   #52
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Yeah he came on and got injured so missed the friendly the next day
Old 05-08-22, 08:53 AM   #53
Sus
Fagan

Isn't he ill? So not serious, and will be back in training next week and good to go, at least unless he trips over a blade of grass and breaks his head
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 09:00 AM   #54
Pepe79
Shankly

Yep Keita is out with illness. Presumably Covid since he's still not back in training.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 10:10 AM   #55
Cerbie
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I’m a long time listener to these lads and I think they are up there with the best for stats driven analysis of Liverpool. This is their season preview - if you like stats based info then you’ll like this

https://twitter.com/anfieldindex/sta...51613123248129
Thanks for this! Right up my street, new dog walking audio content.
Old 05-08-22, 11:11 AM   #56
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbie View Post
Thanks for this! Right up my street, new dog walking audio content.
They do post match every Tuesday also
Old 05-08-22, 12:36 PM   #57
Mr Pink
Fagan

I’ve been thinking, there’s 3 big changes this year that I think all go in our favor:

1) Liverpool and city both bringing in a natural number 9.
Both teams will have to adjust, and I think both players may take some time to settle in, or for the teams to get used to their style of play. But I think we’ll be better at easing nunez in, while city look to starting with haaland from the get go. While I reckon haaland will come good, if city are over reliant on him, while he’s settling in, they could fall behind early on, and it might cost them- with the points both teams have been racking up the last few seasons, you can’t afford to start slow.

2) The World Cup
I think this may be a blessing in disguise, especially with Salah sitting it out. Yes haaland isn’t going too, but if you look at what happened Salah in the second half of last season, where he was running on empty- this season he could hopefully have 2 half seasons like the first half of last season!! We saw how fresh he looked in the community shield, after having a break- well he’s gonna have an even longer break at Christmas! Also, while it’s tough playing every 3 days, I think we can cope with it better than other teams- last year, city had the league all but won in January, but we clawed it back to 1 point, in the busiest part of the season, where the games were coming thick and fast. Both halves of this season are gonna be that intense, and while it will make things more difficult, hopefully we can cope with it better than city.

3) the 5 substitutes
Pep made the fewest subs of any manager last season! I think to games like the 0-0 draw with palace, where he made no subs, even though sterling, Jesus etc were all on the bench. That’s not to say that the 5 subs won’t benefit them, but I just think it will benefit us more.

So basically, I think we’re gonna win the league!
Old 05-08-22, 02:30 PM   #58
frank the tank
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I’ve been thinking, there’s 3 big changes this year that I think all go in our favor:

1) Liverpool and city both bringing in a natural number 9.
Both teams will have to adjust, and I think both players may take some time to settle in, or for the teams to get used to their style of play. But I think we’ll be better at easing nunez in, while city look to starting with haaland from the get go. While I reckon haaland will come good, if city are over reliant on him, while he’s settling in, they could fall behind early on, and it might cost them- with the points both teams have been racking up the last few seasons, you can’t afford to start slow.

2) The World Cup
I think this may be a blessing in disguise, especially with Salah sitting it out. Yes haaland isn’t going too, but if you look at what happened Salah in the second half of last season, where he was running on empty- this season he could hopefully have 2 half seasons like the first half of last season!! We saw how fresh he looked in the community shield, after having a break- well he’s gonna have an even longer break at Christmas! Also, while it’s tough playing every 3 days, I think we can cope with it better than other teams- last year, city had the league all but won in January, but we clawed it back to 1 point, in the busiest part of the season, where the games were coming thick and fast. Both halves of this season are gonna be that intense, and while it will make things more difficult, hopefully we can cope with it better than city.

3) the 5 substitutes
Pep made the fewest subs of any manager last season! I think to games like the 0-0 draw with palace, where he made no subs, even though sterling, Jesus etc were all on the bench. That’s not to say that the 5 subs won’t benefit them, but I just think it will benefit us more.

So basically, I think we’re gonna win the league!

Fuckin right doggie....... Lets bring it fuckin home
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 04:55 PM   #59
Paul12
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
... 3) the 5 substitutes
Pep made the fewest subs of any manager last season! I think to games like the 0-0 draw with palace, where he made no subs, even though sterling, Jesus etc were all on the bench. That’s not to say that the 5 subs won’t benefit them, but I just think it will benefit us more. ...
I think this one is going to be fascinating. In the Champions League games, I got the impression Klopp tended to make two or three substituions in one go mid-way through the second half to refresh a particular unit (usually midfield) and change the tone of the game. With 5 subs we can change all but one of our entire midfield and attack, which feels a bit like playing a joker! (In the card game sense, not in the Batman or Everton footballer sense!)
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 06:38 PM   #60
Irishnev
Paisley

Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 05-08-22, 07:30 PM   #61
Charly
Shankly

Is that Triple H...

Old 07-08-22, 10:34 AM   #62
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Good

Old 08-08-22, 06:09 PM   #63
S-RED
Shankly

oH FOR FUCKS SAKE
https://twitter.com/Biggies_MaIIs/st...393927/photo/1

Last edited by S-RED; 08-08-22 at 06:11 PM.
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 06:11 PM   #64
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
ffs

Old 08-08-22, 06:40 PM   #65
ChesterDave
Paisley

All the officials are shit. It doesn't matter which ones we get
Old 09-08-22, 09:32 AM   #66
Irishnev
Paisley

We draw one game and we straight away question everything - there is no doubt that we have a mature side but Konate, Nunez and Elliott (say) drop the average significantly

Old 09-08-22, 09:57 AM   #67
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah more of a last day of the season rather than first day. We are unbeaten in the League in 2022..!
Old 09-08-22, 01:11 PM   #68
Scratch
If you fail once....

And who decides peak age ranges anyway? With todays fitness/nutrition regimes, it feels like that data above is outdated.
Old 09-08-22, 01:26 PM   #69
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
And who decides peak age ranges anyway? With todays fitness/nutrition regimes, it feels like that data above is outdated.

Think the needle has certainly moved as to how long a player stays at or close to their peak compared to a few decades ago.

However I do not think it too outlandish to say that a large % of outfield players, especially ones expected to cover the most ground like central midfielders, are past their peak physical condition by the time they are 30+ in age.

Will always be exceptions to that of course and the number of exceptions will probably grow in relation to continued improvements in diets/sports science etc.
Old 11-08-22, 08:32 AM   #70
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 11-08-22, 09:19 AM   #71
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Yeah, I remember when we used to blow teams away in the first half. We are well capable of starting fast and we really do need to get back to that.

Starting slow means not killing games off early, and not killing games off early means using up too much energy, in too many games.

Definitely an area to improve on.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 05:19 PM   #72
Venton
Paisley

Teams line up differently against us now. Even Guardiola plays it less loosely than he used to when it comes to us. They're set to defend right from the off and try to pick us off on the break, usually targeting our right hand side. You can't just expect to twat teams in the first twenty minutes any more, you need a more measured game plan.
Old 11-08-22, 06:16 PM   #73
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Not conceding is another matter though. It’s certainly true that we shouldn’t be expecting to blow teams away from the off, but conceding first so regularly seems like a psychological issue that needs work.
Old 11-08-22, 08:26 PM   #74
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yep - our results are still amazing. It just means we are having to work so much harder for wins. I’m sure it has been picked up on, and in terms of this season 1 game is not much of a sample.
Old 11-08-22, 09:34 PM   #75
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Not conceding is another matter though. It’s certainly true that we shouldn’t be expecting to blow teams away from the off, but conceding first so regularly seems like a psychological issue that needs work.
Absolutely. I think we've read our own press a bit and can look quite casual now, especially at the beginning. Need to get a bit of bite back, especially in midfield.
Old 11-08-22, 09:37 PM   #76
Venton
Paisley

Also, I think Trent needs to come into midfield. He's caught between the birds and the beasts these days and it doesn't suit him.
Old 11-08-22, 10:49 PM   #77
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I think people are forgetting that we're only one game into the season.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 11:05 PM   #78
Fosterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
I think people are forgetting that we're only one game into the season.

I think people aren't forgetting that you can only afford to drop a few points to win the league against Oil City.
Old 11-08-22, 11:17 PM   #79
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterbloke View Post
I think people aren't forgetting that you can only afford to drop a few points to win the league against Oil City.
Old 12-08-22, 06:03 AM   #80
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterbloke View Post
That is true but what I'm getting at is it's the first game of a new season where it's widely expected we'll play in a different formation and style. We need to give it more time.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC