It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 07-01-22, 08:31 AM   #2001
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

The follow up documentary 'The Real Anne', shown last night, is also well worth a watch.

The footage of PC Debra Martin had me in tears - firstly the original interview when she tearfully explains how she cradled him - "he was just a baby" - and that Kevin said 'mum' before he passed, and then the later one from 2012 when, with Anne alongside her, she tells the same story and Anne crumples in tears. Fucking devastating.
Old 07-01-22, 10:55 AM   #2002
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I watched the final episode of Anne, which was brutal as it dealt with the candour with which she accepted her Cancer diagnosis

Then watched the Doc which was also really well handled, and informative - and obviously very emotional.

I hadn't picked up on, or had forgotten, the fact that the last enquiry highlighted that 41 of the 97 could have been saved had medical support been provided. Some of them by measures as simple as being put into the recovery position. I just dont know how families square that away.

Also they played the audio of Duckenfield admitting his mistakes and lack of suitability for his position that day. As Sara Williams then, very graciously goes on to say. He made a mistake. He is only human. But he had over 20 years to admit to the lies that he clearly knew were being told.

A very emotional week of TV watching.

Last edited by Buzzo; 07-01-22 at 10:58 AM.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 11:00 AM   #2003
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Aye I preceded the doc with the last two episodes. Heavy going, but essential.

So many people deserve everyone's gratitude, from Margaret Aspinall, Trevor Hicks, to Burnham - who is imperfect but played such a huge role - and the likes of David Conn at the Guardian, who has been so tireless and whose big piece on altered police statements way back blew so much of it wide open.
Old 07-01-22, 11:05 AM   #2004
frank the tank
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The follow up documentary 'The Real Anne', shown last night, is also well worth a watch.

The footage of PC Debra Martin had me in tears - firstly the original interview when she tearfully explains how she cradled him - "he was just a baby" - and that Kevin said 'mum' before he passed, and then the later one from 2012 when, with Anne alongside her, she tells the same story and Anne crumples in tears. Fucking devastating.
yip i was thinking the footage of 2012 was harrowing alright..... so fuckin sad.

There is a family victim (can't remember her name - she was on the show last night - Charl??) who has basically said that we would have gotten over the disaster eventually if it wasn't for the cover up and lies afterwards.

One thing I didn't know was that Duckenfield was supposedly on the beer that day and was missing for a number of hours.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 11:07 AM   #2005
frank the tank
Paisley

Quote:

So many people deserve everyone's gratitude, from Margaret Aspinall, Trevor Hicks, to Burnham - who is imperfect but played such a huge role - and the likes of David Conn at the Guardian, who has been so tireless and whose big piece on altered police statements way back blew so much of it wide open.

Don't think it will happen but I actually think Burnham would make a good leader for the labour party.

As someone else has said here as well, I am surprised a form of justice wasn't dished out in a vigilante fashion as well. Especially in the last couple of years.
Old 07-01-22, 11:54 AM   #2006
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

One of the issues is sometimes seeking perfection in people or systems. This was a long, long way from perfect. But when you consider how this affected Burnham, and when you see his voice catch and his genuine pause as he is overwhelmed with emotion when he is talking about Kevin Williams, it is a good sign.

There are politicians out there that are very relatable and human. The system tends to not offer them a voice.

Also really it was some surprisingly decisive action from Gordon Brown in his short tenure as PM and dealing with Burnham that basically blew the case wide open again. Whereas Tony Blair had sided with the Murdoch empire.
Old 11-01-22, 04:12 PM   #2007
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Old 18-01-22, 10:58 AM   #2008
Paul12
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
One thing I didn't know was that Duckenfield was supposedly on the beer that day and was missing for a number of hours.
I didn't know that. Is this a proven fact or an allegation and, if the latter, who alleged it?
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-22, 02:40 PM   #2009
DaveMc68
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I didn't know that. Is this a proven fact or an allegation and, if the latter, who alleged it?
There was always talk of it happening, but I think something came out in the inquest as he couldn't account for his whereabouts for a couple of hours.

Loads of info around June last year similar to this
DaveMc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-22, 03:30 PM   #2010
Paul12
Fagan

I did a long google last night (oo'er missus) and could find plenty of "I've been tolds" but nothing that I would put trust in.

I know there is a time gap in his story of the day that he could not explain and - bearing in mind he has shown himself to be a heartless, cruel liar and a deeply incompetent, negligent, reckless, arrogant and stupid person - I wouldn't put it past him for a second, but I was hoping for something more authoritative.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-22, 03:55 PM   #2011
frank the tank
Paisley

At either the inquest or the trial he was asked about this and he said he couldn't remember - that his mind just went blank......
Old 19-01-22, 04:28 PM   #2012
DaveMc68
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I wouldn't put it past him for a second, but I was hoping for something more authoritative.
Yeah, I don't think we'll ever get anything concrete unfortunately.

I'm pretty certain it happened, the "don't remember" defence is an insult. The tweet above is from a fairly credible source so the statements and evidence may well exist. It's just unlikely it will ever be released
DaveMc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 04:38 PM   #2013
Jas
Fagan

Sky Sports commentator apologises over Hillsborough remark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-62435996

Football commentator Martin Tyler has apologised after referring to "Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues" in a BBC interview.
The Sky Sports commentator made the reference while appearing on BBC Radio 4's Today programme.
Liverpool Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram insisted Mr Tyler said sorry for his "exceptionally crass" words.
Mr Tyler later apologised, while the BBC said it regretted not challenging his remarks "robustly".
The commentator said he wanted to "apologise sincerely and wholeheartedly for any misunderstanding".
He added that there was "no connection at all between the Hillsborough disaster and hooliganism".
In 2016, an inquests jury found that Liverpool fans were not to blame for what happened at Hillsborough
Ninety-seven Liverpool fans died as a result of a crush during an FA Cup semi-final at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989.
In the aftermath, police falsely claimed that fans "forced" a gate at the ground, while The Sun newspaper made untrue allegations about fans' behaviour.
In 2016, an inquests jury found that Liverpool fans were not to blame for what happened at Hillsborough and those who died were unlawfully killed.
Mr Tyler made his comments while being interviewed about the Premier League launch in 1992 by Today presenter Martha Kearney and Justin Webb.
He said the game was "in a bit of a crisis at that time", adding: "We weren't that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well, so it was a very much a difficult time for the game generally."
Mr Rotheram, who was at Hillsborough, said on Twitter that Mr Tyler's remarks had been "exceptionally crass".
He said the commentator was "a man who should know much better".
"Even now, people whose careers are built on football still spread these foul smears," he said.
Liverpool West Derby MP Ian Byrne said Mr Tyler's comments were "disgraceful", while fellow Labour MP Paula Barker, who represents Liverpool Wavertree, said they were "disgusting", adding: "How can he be allowed to have a career in sports journalism and perpetuate these lies?"
Mr Rotheram criticised both Mr Tyler for making the comments and the Today presenters for not challenging them
In a statement, Mr Tyler said "while discussing various crises facing football 30 years ago, I referred to some examples including the Hillsborough disaster and also controversy over hooliganism at matches".
"These are two separate issues," he said.
"There is no connection at all between the Hillsborough disaster and hooliganism - I know that, and I was not implying that there was."
Mr Rotheram and Ms Byrne also criticised the Today presenters for not correcting what Mr Tyler said.
The mayor said the commentator "should know better, but why do interviewers never challenge these smears that have been so resoundingly disproven time and again?"
In a statement, the BBC said: "We regret that we did not robustly challenge Martin Tyler on a comment which appeared to link Hillsborough and hooliganism."
"Martin has since apologised for the comment and clarified that these were separate examples and he did not intend to conflate the two," a spokeswoman added.

The bloke is an odious fucking prick, should never be allowed in Anfield again.

Last edited by Jas; 05-08-22 at 04:42 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 05:49 PM   #2014
baitman
Daddy day care

Tyler is such a toxic wanker.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 06:18 PM   #2015
fidget
Shankly

I'm glad he said it.
The cunt has always hated us and his mask slipped for all to see.
Now he gets to suffer the consequences.
Hopefully he'll be banned from attending and commentating on our matches.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 11:33 PM   #2016
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
I'm glad he said it.
The cunt has always hated us and his mask slipped for all to see.
Now he gets to suffer the consequences.
Hopefully he'll be banned from attending and commentating on our matches.
Saying it was a slip of the tongue or taken out of context is bollocks, he'll be laughing his cock off with his man utd mates, the slimy fuckin lizard.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
Old 06-08-22, 09:53 AM   #2017
Jaco_Pastorious

It is the "and other" part of what he said that showed his meaning imo.

His apology is not really an apology either imho, he is basically saying he is sorry if people "misunderstood" him.

If he and nodding dog Carragher are commentating on our home game next weekend I hope the entire crowd make their feelings known for the live cameras and have the banners out all over the ground to make it difficult for the cameras to avoid them.

Season ticket holder I know told me yesterday that she and other regulars on the Kop will have some banners regarding Tyler for the Palace game. They sit a few rows back to the right of the goals, as the camera looks at it, behind the Kop.

Fuck Tyler and fuck the ones that do live commentary and punditry for games during which there are obvious Hillsborough chants and yet they stay quiet before, during and after such games.

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 06-08-22 at 09:55 AM.
Jaco_Pastorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-22, 12:55 PM   #2018
baitman
Daddy day care

Any commentators, but especially LFC related ones, should be highlighting any Hillsborough chanting during the live commentary and make an issue of it so it isn't so easy to tune it out.

Old 06-08-22, 12:57 PM   #2019
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Any commentators, but especially LFC related ones, should be highlighting any Hillsborough chanting during the live commentary and make an issue of it so it isn't so easy to tune it out.

They all should, but as you say especially the LFC ones.

They have a platform that none of the rest of us have and they could easily say something before, during or after a game.

Guess vile chants about Hillsborough are to be swept under the carpet, but some boos for the national anthem? Dirty nasty scousers.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC