It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 09-06-14, 06:42 PM   #3041
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

June

Saveloy: 33.3km
RoadEnd: 33.2km
badpiggy: 31.6k
Carra: 15km
Rich: 12.5km
Pablo: 8.6km
Slinky Skills: 5.9km

5.3km. Shorter run than planned as I had a daunting lawn mow to complete before baby's bath time.

Dammit - it looks as if I planned my route just to grab some short-lived glory at the top of the leaderboard. All hail Saveloy.

Speaking of which, is Rowan on holiday? And what happened to Alex in this thread?
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 08:00 PM   #3042
RoadEnd
Dalglish

June

RoadEnd: 38.2km

Tight at the top this month. Nipped out for a quick 4km at lunchtime.

Bradley Fink - you heard it here first!
RoadEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 10:14 PM   #3043
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

June

:Reordered:
Old 09-06-14, 10:16 PM   #3044
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEnd View Post
June

Tight at the top this month. Nipped out for a quick 4km at lunchtime.
5km or an addition fail?
Old 10-06-14, 07:36 AM   #3045
RoadEnd
Dalglish

June

RoadEnd: 37.2km

Sorry - it obviously affected both my ordering and my maths ability.

Old 10-06-14, 08:00 AM   #3046
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
June

Sorry - it obviously affected both my ordering and my maths ability.
The pressure of being at the top.
Old 10-06-14, 07:36 PM   #3047
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

June

Saveloy: 41.3km

8km.
Old 10-06-14, 08:33 PM   #3048
RoadEnd
Dalglish

June

RoadEnd: 44.2km

7km with my Tuesday running club - sprints and tempo session

No-one else running in June? Pablo, Rowan et al

Old 10-06-14, 09:14 PM   #3049
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Slinky Skills: 11.1km

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 11:02 AM   #3050
Rowan
Shankly

Quote:
No-one else running in June? Pablo, Rowan et al
Totally cabbaged my foot... Then proceeded to race with a fucked foot and have now completely totalled it so I'm out for a while. Did the Blaydon Race on Monday and it went again at 3 miles. Managed to finish but it wasn't pretty. Was clocking a 6:15 average when it went so I've no one to blame but myself
Old 11-06-14, 01:07 PM   #3051
Carras_Shin_Pads
Dalglish

Carra: 45km

Getting hot out there!

Keegan
Carras_Shin_Pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 11:55 AM   #3052
Carras_Shin_Pads
Dalglish

Carra: 50km

Keegan
Carras_Shin_Pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 12:59 PM   #3053
RoadEnd
Dalglish

RoadEnd: 49.2km

5km in the gym after a spin class. Thought my legs were going to drop off.

Old 14-06-14, 08:19 PM   #3054
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

June

Saveloy 53.6km
RoadEnd: 49.2km

12.3km. Now bring me my pizza.
Old 14-06-14, 10:48 PM   #3055
RoadEnd
Dalglish

RoadEnd: 54.2km
Saveloy 53.6km

5km parkrun this morning. 8 mile race tomorrow in Dorridge

Old 16-06-14, 10:22 AM   #3056
badpiggy
Special Kind of Scum

RoadEnd: 54.2km
Saveloy 53.6km
badpiggy: 37.1k

6.5k. I'm on holidays though and I hate running in the morning. And it's roasting. And I'm obvious too pissed to run in the evening. I propose adding hardship kms for situations like this.
"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"
badpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-14, 08:37 PM   #3057
RoadEnd
Dalglish

RoadEnd: 67.4km
Saveloy 53.6km

Old 17-06-14, 04:44 PM   #3058
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

I always thought this was the most boring thread in the universe.

Until today I have never been to a gym nor been for a run - I used to be a 800m, 1500m and cross country champion but I just used to turn up and win. Never "went for a run".

Anyway, my midlife crisis has begun, my sedentary lifestyle is making me fat. I have a bit of a gut, small moobs, and do I not like that.

So I've just been for a run. Just went for it - a full circuit round the large playing fields behind my house. Ran for about 15 minutes.

My guess is the distance between 1 mile and a mile and a half. I feel ok. Chest went a bit tight (I smoke), legs threatened to turn to jelly but otherwise.....not bad.

I've since installed a running app so I can track distances etc, and incrementally step it up.

The reason I am doing this is to lose some fat and 'firm up' .........I have zero knowledge about any of this.........so would appreciate tips on when best to run (time of day, pre or post meals etc), how far, shit like that.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I have been back for nearly an hour, have freshened up etc but still can't stop sweating. I am already getting that nice post-exercise buzz. I like it.
Old 17-06-14, 04:59 PM   #3059
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

You just "used to turn up and win" and "never went for a run"?
Old 17-06-14, 05:20 PM   #3060
Slinky Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Until today I have never been to a gym nor been for a run - I used to be a 800m, 1500m and cross country champion but I just used to turn up and win. Never "went for a run".

Anyway, my midlife crisis has begun, my sedentary lifestyle is making me fat. I have a bit of a gut, small moobs, and do I not like that.

So I've just been for a run. Just went for it - a full circuit round the large playing fields behind my house. Ran for about 15 minutes.

My guess is the distance between 1 mile and a mile and a half. I feel ok. Chest went a bit tight (I smoke), legs threatened to turn to jelly but otherwise.....not bad.

I've since installed a running app so I can track distances etc, and incrementally step it up.

The reason I am doing this is to lose some fat and 'firm up' .........I have zero knowledge about any of this.........so would appreciate tips on when best to run (time of day, pre or post meals etc), how far, shit like that.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I have been back for nearly an hour, have freshened up etc but still can't stop sweating. I am already getting that nice post-exercise buzz. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigey View Post

I don't think you've got a chance of winning this one mate unless you're in to Ultra Marathons ha ha!

Seen some of the distances the lads are running on here, madness.

Good for you though mate for starting it, it is hard to get back into it if you haven't done anything for a while but it's a good thread to be involved in.

Old 17-06-14, 05:21 PM   #3061
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1981 View Post
April (Ahead/behind this stage last month)
Rowan: 93.8km (+38km)
Carra: 93.4km (+70.7km)
Pablo: 45.7km (-7.9km)
canotmakeit: 43.4km (new entry!)
Rich: 24.5km (-7.4km)
Scarmanga: 21.7km (+9.7km)
badpiggy: 21.7km (-0.7km)
RoadEnd: 17.5km (-27.5km)
Alex 10.02km (-21.6km)
Slinky Skills: 9.8km (-1.9km)
PTP: 5.96km (-4km)

No runs recorded this month:
Dan, Saveloy, Norbs (???)

Apart from the two beasts and Scaramange, we're largely letting it slip lads! My excuse is that I've had a nasty cold since Thursday. What's yours?

Got dreadful shinsplints after a run on concrete and stopped running. It was just as I took on a big order and I didn't want to have pain while doing a lot of ladder work. I'll be back running again in September when work quietens down and the woods gets muddy again
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 05:22 PM   #3062
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigey View Post
Yeah. They were competitive races, not just 'going for a run'. Until today I'd never been for a run.
Old 17-06-14, 05:25 PM   #3063
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post

I don't think you've got a chance of winning this one mate unless you're in to Ultra Marathons ha ha!

Seen some of the distances the lads are running on here, madness.

Good for you though mate for starting it, it is hard to get back into it if you haven't done anything for a while but it's a good thread to be involved in.
Haha cheers

I didn't even know there was an element of competition to this thread. I have no intention of getting involved in any of that.
Old 17-06-14, 05:32 PM   #3064
Rowan
Shankly

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Its a great thread and running is strangely addictive. I've been injured for weeks now (although this has been compounded through attempts to race in between. Bad idea and probably put myself out for an extra month in the process). A lot of the posters in here started on the Couch to 5k programme and seem to like it. I went the other way and just started smashing miles until they became noticibly easier... then started upping distances.

Foodwise everyone has their favourites. Carbs and protein for post run (chicken and rice, chicken and pasta etc) and I always have the same thing pre run (a bagel with Peanut butter on and a shot of concentrated beetroot juice. The beetroot juice is fucking horrible. Tastes like a mixture of soil, shit and blood. You should try it). If I'm racing I chuck in a bowl of porridge too. Try to drink 500cl to a litre of water before you go out and if you're doing either over 5 miles or over 30 minutes take a bottle with you until you get used to being back in it. Also I know it sounds like pussy stuff but don't worry about walking. You're better off doing run, walk, run and clocking more miles then just running solidly and jacking it early. Plus it'll get your heart going, allow it to rest and then get it going again. Good in the short term. Think of it as intervals.

I hate running in the morning. I used to do the 6am thing but fucked it off. If I'm off work I tend to do a lunchtime session otherwise it's evenings. I'm yet to do a parkrun as I can't be arsed to get up. Plus I find them full of fat slow cunts who don't realise there is a race going on and that they should get the fuck out of my way. but a lot of mates do and love them. Also I suppose a 5k race is good target. Just over 3 miles so when you get back into it you should be smashing it.

You could try a training plan but, you know, just do your lap. Extend it by a little bit each week or try running one whole loop. Walk then next half and then run the last half home. 3 times a week and then do 1 3/4. Next week 2 and so on. Try to throw in some hills too. There is also something to be said for running further but slower. I was training for a Marathon when I fucked my foot and had dropped my average pace from 7 minute miles to 8:30 to up the distance (then I goosed myself getting out of a car).

That's probably a bit unweildy but there you go. Come post your runs in here and people will cheer you on too.

And while not running I've been blasting it on the bike. Clipping in is evil as fuck but smashing on average 4 rides a week between 35 and 45 miles a shot. It's almost like Duathalon training
Old 17-06-14, 06:01 PM   #3065
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Its a great thread and running is strangely addictive. I've been injured for weeks now (although this has been compounded through attempts to race in between. Bad idea and probably put myself out for an extra month in the process). A lot of the posters in here started on the Couch to 5k programme and seem to like it. I went the other way and just started smashing miles until they became noticibly easier... then started upping distances.

Foodwise everyone has their favourites. Carbs and protein for post run (chicken and rice, chicken and pasta etc) and I always have the same thing pre run (a bagel with Peanut butter on and a shot of concentrated beetroot juice. The beetroot juice is fucking horrible. Tastes like a mixture of soil, shit and blood. You should try it). If I'm racing I chuck in a bowl of porridge too. Try to drink 500cl to a litre of water before you go out and if you're doing either over 5 miles or over 30 minutes take a bottle with you until you get used to being back in it. Also I know it sounds like pussy stuff but don't worry about walking. You're better off doing run, walk, run and clocking more miles then just running solidly and jacking it early. Plus it'll get your heart going, allow it to rest and then get it going again. Good in the short term. Think of it as intervals.

I hate running in the morning. I used to do the 6am thing but fucked it off. If I'm off work I tend to do a lunchtime session otherwise it's evenings. I'm yet to do a parkrun as I can't be arsed to get up. Plus I find them full of fat slow cunts who don't realise there is a race going on and that they should get the fuck out of my way. but a lot of mates do and love them. Also I suppose a 5k race is good target. Just over 3 miles so when you get back into it you should be smashing it.

You could try a training plan but, you know, just do your lap. Extend it by a little bit each week or try running one whole loop. Walk then next half and then run the last half home. 3 times a week and then do 1 3/4. Next week 2 and so on. Try to throw in some hills too. There is also something to be said for running further but slower. I was training for a Marathon when I fucked my foot and had dropped my average pace from 7 minute miles to 8:30 to up the distance (then I goosed myself getting out of a car).

That's probably a bit unweildy but there you go. Come post your runs in here and people will cheer you on too.

And while not running I've been blasting it on the bike. Clipping in is evil as fuck but smashing on average 4 rides a week between 35 and 45 miles a shot. It's almost like Duathalon training

Cheers mate, really appreciate that. Interesting stuff.

I have no intention of entering any races or doing any of this properly, as it were. I just wanna get into better shape and get fitter.

I think I want to run daily....increasing the distance bit by bit. What's the recommended time of day to run, if there is one? I'm thinking kinda tea-time.

Is it better to run before a meal? Or a while after one?

It's shit like this that I have no idea about. I just know I wanna get fitter/into better shape.
Old 17-06-14, 06:03 PM   #3066
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

By the way, you must be in fucking superb shape
Old 17-06-14, 06:04 PM   #3067
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Is this going to last longer than my fitness pal?
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 06:06 PM   #3068
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Is this going to last longer than my fitness pal?

Definitely. I think I gave up on that after three days.

I like the buzz after. And I really don't wanna turn into a full blown fatty so need to do something about it before that inevitability occurs.
Old 17-06-14, 06:08 PM   #3069
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Look how much weight Brendan lost. The guy's an inspiration!

I wanna lose weight like that. Not that I'm as fat as Brendan was, but I'm a naturally skinny lad who is slowly developing moobs and a pot belly, and it doesn't suit me.
Old 17-06-14, 06:10 PM   #3070
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Eat after, drink before I always thought. Eat before and you feel cumbersome and run the risk of getting a stitch.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 06:13 PM   #3071
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Eat after, drink before I always thought. Eat before and you feel cumbersome and run the risk of getting a stitch.
Ta.

The whole drinking before thing has surprised me - doesn't it slosh around your belly while you run?

I wondered if maybe you could run an hour or so after eating to burn it off or whatever but yeah unless advised otherwise I think I'll be running a couple of hours before I have me tea.
Old 17-06-14, 06:34 PM   #3072
Rowan
Shankly

Quote:
Cheers mate, really appreciate that. Interesting stuff.

I have no intention of entering any races or doing any of this properly, as it were. I just wanna get into better shape and get fitter.

I think I want to run daily....increasing the distance bit by bit. What's the recommended time of day to run, if there is one? I'm thinking kinda tea-time.

It's shit like this that I have no idea about. I just know I wanna get fitter/into better shape.
Tea time is my preferred time You've got a bit of energy from whatever you've eaten during the day and you've not just smashed down loads of food that'll slow you down, give you cramp or some rank flavoured beltching. Again, just what I do but I always give it two hours minimum after eating before setting off (although I've mates who'll happily smash down bacon sarnies before cross country). Definitely drinking before. I don't buy this electrolyte shit. It's made no difference to me whatsoever. I just go with water. Sometimes I have a For Goodness Shakes afterwards but that's just because they taste nice. Not sure they actually do much to help recovery. If I eat beforehand it's usually just a banana. It's old school and it works as well as all that 2 quid powerbar bollocks.

There is loads of science about trainers but I tend not to buy into that. As long as your trainers are comfy and fit well you'll be great. Something with a bit of cushion to them though as Sambas will fuck your feet up.

It can escalate quickly too. I wanted to do the great north run a few years back and that was it. Totally out of hand now! Feel great though
Old 17-06-14, 06:51 PM   #3073
Rowan
Shankly

One thing that id say is vital though. If you sweat a bit then stick some plasters over your nipples. Nowt worse that ripping them open
Old 17-06-14, 07:41 PM   #3074
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

]RoadEnd: 67.4km
Saveloy 62.8km

9.2km. Welcome on board Shaggy. Sounds like you have the same aims I do. I'm 35, really unfit and slowly starting to see my dad's body looking back at me in the mirror.

This might seem a boring thread, but it is rewarding to see your kms rack up and it can be strangely motivating when you're going through a period of inactivity to know others are running on whilst you're sat on the sofa picking bits of burger from the folds of your T Shirt.

I would also note that the mods are a little sceptical over some of Rowan's numbers.

Last edited by Saveloy; 17-06-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 17-06-14, 08:55 PM   #3075
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Saveloy 62.8km
Rich: 38.5km

Been out a for a few runs - including a monster 14km one last night. Ended up getting lost and adding a few kms to what was meant to be around a 10km one. Jeez, my legs were wobbly at the end of it.

Worst thing was that I didn't really have anything to eat afterwards, I started to feel really weird over night, so much so that I had to get up and eat at 2am!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 11:35 PM   #3076
Rowan
Shankly

[QUOTE=Saveloy;2919139]]RoadEnd: 67.4km
Saveloy 62.8km

9.2km. Welcome on board Shaggy. Sounds like you have the same aims I do. I'm 35, really unfit and slowly starting to see my dad's body looking back at me in the mirror.

This might seem a boring thread, but it is rewarding to see your kms rack up and it can be strangely motivating when you're going through a period of inactivity to know others are running on whilst you're sat on the sofa picking bits of burger from the folds of your T Shirt.

I would also note that the mods are a little sceptical over some of Rowan's numbers.[/QUOTE]

They're all recorded here. Knock yourself out

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/Rowanad
Old 18-06-14, 07:02 AM   #3077
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

[quote=Rowan;2919294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveloy View Post
]RoadEnd: 67.4km
Saveloy 62.8km

I would also note that the mods are a little sceptical over some of Rowan's numbers.[/QUOTE]

They're all recorded here. Knock yourself out

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/Rowanad
Was only joking. I wasn't actually accusing you of skullduggery. Seems I should have included a smiley or something.
Old 18-06-14, 10:11 AM   #3078
Slinky Skills

Saveloy 62.8km
Rich: 38.5km
Slinky Skills: 15.6km

Hey Rowan,

I've just gone to upload some run data on to Garmin Connect and it's doing a massive update to Garmin Express now.

Has yours done this as well?

Last edited by Slinky Skills; 18-06-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 18-06-14, 10:14 AM   #3079
Rowan
Shankly

It has and it won't sync my watch to the new software. Well, update the firmware anyway

Thinking about setting a strava group up for us. What does everyone think?

http://www.strava.com

It links from a lot of gps/ gis stuff automatically too
Old 18-06-14, 10:17 AM   #3080
Slinky Skills

Yeah mate set it up,

Can we link the Garmin data to Strava?

est1892 > General > General Sports