It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 11-06-14, 02:58 PM   #1
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

FIFA Corruption Thread

Why Sepp Blatter sees Fifa, not Qatar, as the true victim of prejudice
Marina Hyde
Marina Hyde
The Swiss has finally stopped pretending to govern a sporting body and openly placed himself on a par with heads of state
Sepp Blatter
Sepp Blatter said Fifa is still strong and 'I still have fire inside me'. Photograph: Alexander Hassenstein/Fifa via Getty Images
Wednesday 11 June 2014 11.14 BST

Why have people assumed that Sepp Blatter is talking about Qatar when he accuses the British media of “racism” toward unnamed parties? I have another theory, given the persecuted tenor of the rest of the Fifa president’s comments: that he has finally gone the whole hog and perceives Fifa itself to be a race. For a man who has for so long characterised himself as noble yet besieged, you have to think Fifa-ism was always the next logical step.

At no stage in his provocative rallying cry to the African and Asian football confederations this week did Blatter explicitly delineate what he felt was racist about journalists exposing bribery and corruption in what amounts to the awarding of billion-dollar contracts. But the overwhelming focus of his dewy-eyed speeches about defending Fifa against those who seek to destroy it suggests that Herr Blatter casts world football’s governing body itself as the true victim of prejudice.

“Once again there is a sort of storm against Fifa relating to the Qatar World Cup,” he warned. “Sadly there’s a great deal of discrimination and racism and this hurts me.”

Though Blatter stopped shy of floating terms such as lynching, his sense of himself as some nebulous kind of civil rights leader appears stronger by the day. “I still have fire inside me,” he intoned, repeatedly stressing that when united (behind him, obviously), Fifa is “so strong”. Stirring stuff. In fact, I can only dream that in the forthcoming movie about itself, which Fifa has bankrolled to the tune of £16m, the closing titles feature a slow-motion montage of the real-life Sepp going about his good works, set to Labi Siffre’s (Something Inside) So Strong.

Inspirationally, Sepp has a dream (and if only he was just dreaming). He has a dream of a day when his people will not be judged by the colour of their email exchanges, but by the content of their Swiss bank accounts.

When they can stay in five-star hotels, and take limousines down Zil lanes, and order 16-course tasting menus in Michelin restaurants, and think: God almighty, all this is free. Free at last.

Admittedly, there are a few glitches in my thesis – the principal one being that not three years ago, a certain Sepp Blatter was explaining how racism didn’t exist in football. If I recall correctly what we’ll flatter as his reasoning, so-called “racism” can all be solved with a handshake, because the world of football is only a game. As underscored by the allegation that Qatar’s Mohamed bin Hammam helped broker a major natural gas deal between his country and Thailand, via the latter’s Fifa representative. Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, rush goalie … marvellous.

Incidentally, it should be remembered Blatter is not alone in making inquiring journalists the scapegoat for questions that feel rather bigger. I’m sure David Cameron will have a view on the latest Fifa allegations – actually, hang on. Inevitably, the prime minister has already piped up with one. “My memories of that bidding process are not happy ones,” he explained the other day, “in terms of the way the whole thing was arranged and the role of Fifa and the rest of it.”

But this is odd, because my own memories of that bidding process are not happy ones either, primarily because I distinctly recall Cameron taking the time to criticise the British media for reporting Fifa corruption. The PM professed himself “frustrated” by a Panorama programme detailing chicanery in World Cup bidding, presumably imagining that such a pose would curry favour with the ordinary people who seem to remain such a beguiling mystery to him. Somehow, Cameron was unaware that anyone remotely well-versed in football (but not in its pay) knew England didn’t have a snowball’s chance in Doha of getting any World Cup under the current conventions, for the sort of reasons including – though not limited to – those currently being exposed by the Sunday Times. Back then, the PM sighed that a free press was something one had to “roll with”, so perhaps we can live without his interventions now that said free press has worked to investigate Fifa again.

As for the rest of Blatter’s stump speeching this week, it may yet come to mark the moment the Swiss finally stopped pretending to govern a sporting body, and appeared to openly place himself on a par with heads of state.

Certainly, there was much to enjoy in his perorations for those of us who have long droned on about Fifa being less of a sporting body, and more of supranational quasi-state. After all, and as frequently mentioned in this space, its rules trump any country’s constitution, it insists on its own legal system via those “Fifa World Cup Courts”, it sets its own tax liabilities (a tempting O%) in the aptly classified “host” nations to which it parasitically attaches itself every four years … the list goes on.

Even so, it felt pointedly candid of Blatter to draw attention to Fifa’s immense riches at a time when “states are in debt”. That the Fifa president should choose this particular moment to imply that his organisation’s peer group consists not of sporting entities, but of sovereign nations, feels significant.

It has been a long walk to freedom, but on the eve of his fifth presidential term, Blatter seems to have got there at last.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 11-06-14, 03:00 PM   #2
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Owen Gibson ‏@owen_g 24m
Blatter says he his bearing the flame of "honesty, responsibility and respect" and will not betray the "spirit of solidarity and integrity"

Paul Kelso ‏@pkelso 17m
I'm not at the Fifa Congress today, but this Sepp Blatter parody act sounds a hoot.
Old 11-06-14, 03:03 PM   #3
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Jonathan Northcroft ‏@JNorthcroft 2h
Had 4 sticks of chewing gum confiscated by security at Maracana: not a foodstuff made by a FIFA Official partner, apparently. Jogo Bonito.
Old 11-06-14, 03:13 PM   #4
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Funny how the likes of Sony,Coca Cola & Adidas etc are now voicing their concerns at the Qatar world cup,how many of them said anything in the past at Fifa's goings on and how come none of these big companies are saying or doing anything about the continuing problem of Racism in Football......
Countries should have boycotted these world cups or do so with the next Euro's to make a real impact!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:20 PM   #5
fah-q
Touching cloth

I still can't believe that Fifa is allowed to force countries to rewrite laws (I.e. the strict ban of alcohol sales in Brazilian stadia) and get away with it.

It reminds me of the scene in Godfather 2 where Hyman Roth says to Michael that they are "bigger than US steel".
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:57 PM   #6
dom9
Ant Pisser

Sepp Blatter is among the most despicable people who walk this planet.

He's dogshit.
Old 11-06-14, 06:44 PM   #7
ChesterDave
Paisley

Sepp, I can say hand on heart that I have NEVER wondered such nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...World-Cup.html

Inter-planetary World Cups: For when you can't bung enough people on Earth!
Old 12-06-14, 08:45 AM   #8
chadrtc
Dalglish

This is rather good...

chadrtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 10:10 AM   #9
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Sepp Blatter is among the most despicable people who walk this planet.

He's dogshit.
He is a completely and utter utter cunt

That said I feel he has absolutely no choice to stand again, he basically has to keep standing until he drops dead

Because the moment hes out of office they are going to start finding where the bodies are buried and I reckon its a cert he would go down for a long long time on corruption / bribery charges
Old 12-06-14, 10:13 AM   #10
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 10:13 AM   #11
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by fah-q View Post
I still can't believe that Fifa is allowed to force countries to rewrite laws (I.e. the strict ban of alcohol sales in Brazilian stadia) and get away with it.

It reminds me of the scene in Godfather 2 where Hyman Roth says to Michael that they are "bigger than US steel".
The thing about zero taxation is also alarming to say the least

What makes them so fucking special

Lots of chatter that the US Treasury / FBI are starting to investigate Blatter & FIFA

I think some countries could now be gunning for him
Old 12-06-14, 10:14 AM   #12
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

He should be sharing a cell with Bernie Madoff.
Old 12-06-14, 10:54 AM   #13
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
He should be sharing a cell with Bernie Madoff.

It seems that they live outside of any laws and have done for so long that it's almost as if they believe themselves to be untouchable.

I mean what are the chances of their "independent" investigator is going to find anything wrong with what they've been doing?
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 11:17 AM   #14
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post

It seems that they live outside of any laws and have done for so long that it's almost as if they believe themselves to be untouchable.

I mean what are the chances of their "independent" investigator is going to find anything wrong with what they've been doing?
Zero chance after he checks his Swiss bank account under an assumed name.
Old 12-06-14, 11:51 AM   #15
MrMichael
The Pun Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrtc View Post
That's brilliant
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?
MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 01:10 PM   #16
G
Paisley

Quote:

Saw that few days ago. It's great. They are a poisonous shower of cunts.

Cant fucking wait for the world cup to start though
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 02:25 PM   #17
RichC
Meh

He seems to be running out of friends.

Quote:
Michel Platini refuses to back Fifa’s Sepp Blatter and may run against him

• ‘I am supporting him no longer, it’s finished,’ says Uefa head
• Platini calls for breath of fresh air at Fifa
• David Conn: Europe must stand firm against Blatter

The Uefa president Michel Platini has said he will no longer support the Fifa president Sepp Blatter and has not ruled out putting his name forward as a candidate to replace him.

Platini has said that it is time for a breath of fresh air at the top of football’s world organising body, and has said that Blatter has gone back on his word not to stand as a candidate again.

“I am supporting him no longer, it’s finished. I have known him for a long time, I like him, but I’m not favourable to him having another term,” he told L’Equipe. “I supported him in 1998, but I do not support in 2014. And in the future, I shall not support Blatter. I told him that. I think Fifa needs a breath of fresh air.”

Blatter has faced angry calls from European football leaders to stand down at Fifa’s congress in Brazil, something he said “was the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever experienced in my entire life”. Platini, when asked why he had chosen now to withdraw his support, replied: “In 2011, he asked for [Uefa’s] and told us that this was his last term ...”

Platini has said the he is considering standing against Blatter and promised to make a decision by the draw for the Champions League on 28 August.

“It is an option,” he said when asked if he put his name forward. “But it is not because of Blatter that Michel Platini would stand. And it is not because of Sepp Blatter that Michel Platini would not appear. My only concern is what I want to do. I am almost 60 years and I need to know what I want.

“I just want to be sure what I want to do. In my life, I wanted to be a footballer, it went well. I was asked to coach, and to be president of the organising committee of the 1998 World Cup, I liked it. Then I became a member of the Executive Committee (Fifa). Now I am very happy to be at Uefa. I am loved by national associations. But Fifa is something important.”
http://www.theguardian.com/football/...a-sepp-blatter
Old 12-06-14, 02:34 PM   #18
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Hallelujah!
Old 12-06-14, 02:37 PM   #19
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
I am loved by national associations
Is he?

Glad hes taking a stand though.
Old 12-06-14, 02:38 PM   #20
RichC
Meh

He seems pretty popular with the FAs across Europe what the actual fans think of him is probably entirely different.

Great news he's not backing Blatter though.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-06-14, 02:38 PM   #21
Liverpool
Paisley

He's been positioning to take over for years tbf. I'd imagine anyone decent thinking of standing will back down if Blatter runs again, and wait til he's gone.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 02:41 PM   #22
G
Paisley

As long as Platini doesn't run himself this is good news. To be fair though , they are all as bad as each other. Platini has links to Qatar, has a son who works for QSI and his son in law wrote the theme song for the Europa league.
Old 12-06-14, 02:45 PM   #23
Alex
Administrator

He has openly admitted he voted for Qatar, one of the few who have actually.
Old 12-06-14, 02:49 PM   #24
G
Paisley

Yeah so you'd have to question his sanity on that alone. However his family links to them muddy the waters still further and he's shown he's fond of nepotism too. I'm not quite sure who would be good but Platini is of the same ilk as blatter. And he's against technology usage in football which is crazy in this day and age.
Old 12-06-14, 03:07 PM   #25
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
It really is.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 03:17 PM   #26
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Blatter leaving isn't enough though. Platini will hope ousting him will take the heat away so that it can carry in as normal.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 03:34 PM   #27
Tee
El Pistolero

Platini is just as bad. Nothing will change.
Old 12-06-14, 04:18 PM   #28
Fivex
The Wisp

Anyone know of any recent articles on the FBI thing?
Old 12-06-14, 07:18 PM   #29
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Platini is indeed also a massive gaping thundercunt.
Old 12-06-14, 07:49 PM   #30
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
He should be sharing a cell with Randy Ron
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-14, 06:35 PM   #31
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...atar-world-cup

Beckenbauer suspended from all football activity for 90 days for refusing to talk to ethics committee.

I wonder what happens after 90days, he carries on having not answered questions designed for him?
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 12:07 PM   #32
-V-
Paisley

Beckenbauer sounds corrupt too. Visited Qatar on behalf of Hamburg shipping company ER Capital Holding and around that time went back and forth at on the invitation of the Qatari's. Also now an ambassador for the Association of Russian Gas Producers.

Bribed by both Qatar and Russia and now pleads ignorance.

Thing is this happens for every vote, football is so corrupt
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 03:46 PM   #33
dom9
Ant Pisser

At the very least there appear to be many undeclared conflicts of interest. Any organisation with its salt should be all over that, but not our dear football governance bodies.
Old 14-06-14, 04:45 PM   #34
spud_gun
Paisley

Not sure why everyone is so down on FIFA

They do some very good work........

"Fifa have confirmed that fans will be allowed to take their England flags into the stadium, but the England band, who have become a familiar part of past World Cup games by playing the theme from the Great Escape and leading the crowd in song, will be told they cannot take their instruments into the venue"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...nst-Italy.html
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 04:59 PM   #35
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Good. can't stand that fucking band.
Old 14-06-14, 05:01 PM   #36
baitman
Daddy day care

some fans have taken massive drums into the columbia v greece game.

to prevent us taking a trumpet, trombone and a couple of little drums into the stadium is a breach of our human rights and tantamount to a declaration of war.
racist cunts

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 05:04 PM   #37
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Not sure why everyone is so down on FIFA

They do some very good work........

"Fifa have confirmed that fans will be allowed to take their England flags into the stadium, but the England band, who have become a familiar part of past World Cup games by playing the theme from the Great Escape and leading the crowd in song, will be told they cannot take their instruments into the venue"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...nst-Italy.html
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 05:24 PM   #38
Daniel 7
Heretic

They make vuvuzelas seem appealing, that Ingerlund brass band! Good on you FIFA!
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-14, 08:38 AM   #39
Alex
Administrator

I dont know anyone that likes that fucking band. Totally trashes what little atmosphere Wembley has usually.

Great escape after 3 minutes is never welcome.
Old 17-06-14, 03:50 PM   #40
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I dont know anyone that likes that fucking band. Totally trashes what little atmosphere Wembley has usually.

Great escape after 3 minutes is never welcome.
this reminded of saturday night in the pub

a load of young'uns kept on chanting.....

"we're the self preservation society!" - just those words about 3 or four times and then stop...

and repeat

est1892 > Football > General Football