It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 28-09-21, 02:21 PM   #41
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I honestly think our best Ryder Cup team from the last 20/30 years would also have got trounced by that US team. They were just far too good.
Quite possibly, they managed the run up to this one far better than us though.

The decision to have only 3 wildcards was mental from Harrington whereas the US went for 6.

Telling Garcia and Poulter back in May they were in was mental and essentially left him with one genuine wildcard.

There are other things like leaving Rose out and then some of the pairings didn't make much sense (Poulter shouldn't be in a foursome game, fourball is much better suited).

I'd say it was a Ryder Cup we were always likely to lose but I don't think it should have been by that sort of deficit
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 28-09-21, 03:11 PM   #42
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Quite possibly, they managed the run up to this one far better than us though.

The decision to have only 3 wildcards was mental from Harrington whereas the US went for 6.

Telling Garcia and Poulter back in May they were in was mental and essentially left him with one genuine wildcard.

There are other things like leaving Rose out and then some of the pairings didn't make much sense (Poulter shouldn't be in a foursome game, fourball is much better suited).

I'd say it was a Ryder Cup we were always likely to lose but I don't think it should have been by that sort of deficit
Yep some fair criticism there no doubt, but as you said I think most of it is irrelevant as we would always have lost heavily to that US team IMO.

Agree though that if we're to have any chance of making it competitive next time we'll need to get all the above decisions right.

Do you think Harrington was just too pally with them hence telling them early etc?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-21, 04:02 PM   #43
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:

Do you think Harrington was just too pally with them hence telling them early etc?
It must have been disheartening for other players knowing they have no chance so far out. You'd rather some random who's been shit hot in the few weeks before the tournament than even more old heads.

I think Harrington was trying to move on with his Garcia beef announcing him so early.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/202...ington-sergio/
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-21, 04:45 PM   #44
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Also wonder if we should increase the number of captain's picks, like they do. Our system allows for too many out of form players making the team...like Hatton, who made the team largely due to his form last year but he's struggled this year.
Another big factor that McIlroy touched on is the fact that the Americans have now bought into it. Speith, Thomas, Reed etc get the crowd pumped and revel in it whereas it always seemed a hassle for Woods etc. The Europeans have always taken it really seriously and bought into the collective…..

We need Bryson to fuck that team spirit
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-21, 04:47 PM   #45
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Yep some fair criticism there no doubt, but as you said I think most of it is irrelevant as we would always have lost heavily to that US team IMO.

Agree though that if we're to have any chance of making it competitive next time we'll need to get all the above decisions right.

I think it all got a little bit to convoluted as well as playing all the way up to the BMW for players to have a chance to get in. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but getting the side decided a bit earlier and using more of the captains picks would have been a good idea; basically mimic what the Americans did.

As I said, I'm not sure this time around we'd have had enough to have won it but that was far too big a defeat.

Do wonder about the pally stuff, Lowry is one of his best mates, hard to know really but however you loo at it he didn't have a great crack at the Ryder Cup Captaincy!
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-21, 08:38 PM   #46
wiw
Paisley

2:04

Can't tell if real or not
Old 15-03-22, 07:33 PM   #47
Irishnev
Paisley

Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports