It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 27-07-22, 12:55 PM   #1
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Community Shield v Man City

17:00pm kick off at Leicester's ground!

Anyone arsed?

Can't say I am, but I will watch it. Hope we see Nunez start.

Last edited by Shaggy; 27-07-22 at 02:44 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 27-07-22, 12:57 PM   #2
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Looking forward to it mself. I'd love for us to beat them and lay down a marker. Because it's Liverpool vs City, I do think it will be a high intensity game and one which both teams to go flat out to win.
Old 27-07-22, 01:00 PM   #3
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

So we have a game at Anfield the day after this? What is the deal? Will we go full strength for this then field the ressies at Anfield? Seems odd.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 01:02 PM   #4
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Also wonder if we will be keen to avoid any more Haaland vs Nunez narratives and heap more pressure on by not playing him against City?
Old 27-07-22, 01:02 PM   #5
Jaco_Pastorious

Think it will mean more to City than us tbh. Not that we will want to lose.

Be an interesting contrast in seeing whose pre season prep looks to have their team sharper.

We will have played at least twice as many pre season games as City by the time this game starts with Pepe favouring tactical closed door sessions over extra pre season games.
Old 27-07-22, 01:09 PM   #6
frank the tank
Paisley

I think all of our first team squad will get a total of 90 mins over the weekend....... Final games of pre-season before we go into our league-zone from next Tuesday onwards.

I expect the team to start in the opening league game to start v City. So something like:

Alisson
Trent, Konate, Virgil, Robbo
Elliot, Fabinho, Thiago
Salah, nunez, Diaz

I know what Shaggy is talking about in terms of not beong too arsed. At the end of last season i think a lot of us were on the fuckin ropes....... And anyone who i talked to that went to Paris (myself including) were fuckin allergic to footy in the aftermath of that.

But hopefully 5 mins into this game, there will be a good tackle on one of their ponies (my bet is that robbo will be the first man to force the tempo in this way) and we will all be well into it then again
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 01:16 PM   #7
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I think all of our first team squad will get a total of 90 mins over the weekend....... Final games of pre-season before we go into our league-zone from next Tuesday onwards.

I expect the team to start in the opening league game to start v City. So something like:

Alisson
Elliot, Fabinho, Thiago
Salah, nunez, Diaz

I know what Shaggy is talking about in terms of not beong too arsed. At the end of last season i think a lot of us were on the fuckin ropes....... And anyone who i talked to that went to Paris (myself including) were fuckin allergic to footy in the aftermath of that.

But hopefully 5 mins into this game, there will be a good tackle on one of their ponies (my bet is that robbo will be the first man to force the tempo in this way) and we will all be well into it then again

Fabinho is my bet for that

Konate could be a dark horse in the first cruncher of the day race too.

Course with Thiago around, that fecker could leave something on someone in the first 60 seconds.
Old 27-07-22, 01:19 PM   #8
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post

Alisson
Elliot, Fabinho, Thiago
Salah, nunez, Diaz

So that would me a 2nd string starts for the game at Anfield? I would be surprised if he does that. I'm sure those with tickets for the Anfield game would be hoping to see Salah and Nunez etc.
Old 27-07-22, 01:29 PM   #9
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
17:30pm kick off at Leicester's ground!

Anyone arsed?

Can't say I am, but I will watch it. Hope we see Nunez start.
Kick off at 5pm, in case you miss the start!
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 01:36 PM   #10
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I wonder how City will play seems like they could be a bit undercooked? Have they only had 2 pre-season games?
Old 27-07-22, 01:58 PM   #11
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I wonder how City will play seems like they could be a bit undercooked? Have they only had 2 pre-season games?
Two preseason games, but apparantly a huge focus on playing behind closed doors to get playing patterns and the like down.

By all accounts Pepe is making his teams even more drilled and more robotic than ever.

Might be something that works for them, or could be Pepe overthinking things again. Either way it all reads like a really sterlile approach to sport.
Old 27-07-22, 02:07 PM   #12
S-RED
Shankly

Cruncher
1: Millie
2: Konate
3: Robbo

Outside bet: Gomez on Grealish
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 02:31 PM   #13
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Two preseason games, but apparantly a huge focus on playing behind closed doors to get playing patterns and the like down.

By all accounts Pepe is making his teams even more drilled and more robotic than ever.

Might be something that works for them, or could be Pepe overthinking things again. Either way it all reads like a really sterlile approach to sport.
A fair amount of change to them this season as well in terms of personal out. So they will need to hope that Halaand settles early and that Phillips is good. They also need more from Grealish.

Lets hope this season it takes them a while to get going. When we won the League we went on a relentless winning run and they dropped a fair few points. I'd be more than up for another procession like that.
Old 27-07-22, 02:44 PM   #14
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Kick off at 5pm, in case you miss the start!
Oops! Edited. Ta.
Old 27-07-22, 03:16 PM   #15
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
So that would me a 2nd string starts for the game at Anfield? I would be surprised if he does that. I'm sure those with tickets for the Anfield game would be hoping to see Salah and Nunez etc.
No different than last year, although both games at Anfield last time.

Anyone buying tickets for a match the following day after CS should know it will be a reserve team
Old 27-07-22, 03:35 PM   #16
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
A fair amount of change to them this season as well in terms of personal out. So they will need to hope that Halaand settles early and that Phillips is good. They also need more from Grealish.

Lets hope this season it takes them a while to get going. When we won the League we went on a relentless winning run and they dropped a fair few points. I'd be more than up for another procession like that.

Not sure he will be a nailed on 30 plus game starter in the PL for them tbh.

I do see him as playing a big part, when he is on the pitch, in implementing the more cynical side of Guardiola's tactics.

City having a slow start, by their own standards, would not be a new thing though. Not looked back to check for sure, but did they not drop points early on last season as well?

A procession season would be very nice to see again though. That season was the most relentless Liverpool team I have ever seen and I include our 1987/88 team when I say that
Old 27-07-22, 06:39 PM   #17
Mr Pink
Fagan

Quote:
City having a slow start, by their own standards, would not be a new thing though. Not looked back to check for sure, but did they not drop points early on last season as well?
Yup spurs took points off them in the opening game. Would be great if they start similarly this season…
Old 27-07-22, 06:43 PM   #18
Mr Pink
Fagan

Quote:
So we have a game at Anfield the day after this? What is the deal? Will we go full strength for this then field the ressies at Anfield? Seems odd.

I wonder did they do that to manage the narrative around the community shield, with the fans/media. It’s not like right pre season is over and the real season starts now, with the community shield.. instead the community shield is in amongst the pre season games and the fans should treat it more like a preseason game, with the real season starting a week later. So if we do lose it, there’s no big disappointment/pressure.
Old 27-07-22, 08:22 PM   #19
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

When is this game, Saturday or Sunday?

Can’t really be arsed by this tbh, so if I’ve got something in the way I’ll pass.
Old 27-07-22, 09:16 PM   #20
Mr Pink
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Yes
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 27-07-22, 09:20 PM   #21
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post

Can’t really be arsed by this tbh, so if I’ve got something in the way I’ll pass.
That’s the spirit
Peter_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 10:29 PM   #22
Cormack74
Shankly

I get that Pepsi is a big tactical thinker blah blah, but I thought the point of pre season games was mostly to get fitness up to match condition level.

How can you achieve that doing hop scotch and line dancing on the training ground?

Maybe he thinks with the break in the season for the WC he only needs them fit until November initially.

Whatever the reason let's hope he's misjudged things spectacularly.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 10:33 PM   #23
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
I get that Pepsi is a big tactical thinker blah blah, but I thought the point of pre season games was mostly to get fitness up to match condition level.

How can you achieve that doing hop scotch and line dancing on the training ground?

Maybe he thinks with the break in the season for the WC he only needs them fit until November initially.

Whatever the reason let's hope he's misjudged things spectacularly.

Would assume that a number of the behind closed doors sessions are the first team vs ressies/youth in full length games to get everyone up to speed in real time with what he is supposedly trying to get them used to.
Old 27-07-22, 10:39 PM   #24
Cormack74
Shankly

Quite probably, but I'm doubtful it's as good as the real thing.

Imagine some kid of 17 steaming in on K De B and putting him out for the season. If I was 17 that kind of thing would be playing on my mind
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 11:01 PM   #25
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Quite probably, but I'm doubtful it's as good as the real thing.

Imagine some kid of 17 steaming in on K De B and putting him out for the season. If I was 17 that kind of thing would be playing on my mind

I agree with you as I think semi competitive games coupled with the behind the scenes stuff is what works and if too much travel can be avoided (not always possible with the commercial side having a say these days) then that is a serious bonus.

I'm just curious to see how City start the season with this new less games by choice pre season strategy.

Last season they had a shorter pre season in terms of games as two of their five preseason games were cancelled due to covid. They won the title.

The season before their pre season was more or less behind closed doors (like most teams) due to covid. They won the title.

The season before that again they did a longer (traditional length) pre season, playing four games in the far east with a fair bit of bit travel involved between games before playing in the Charity shield. They finished miles behind us.

The season before that again. Very short preseason. Only three games and all played within an eight day period in the US. They won the title.

Does seem like less games in pre season and less travel suits whatever they do. The one season in recent years they did the travelling far and playing more games in preseason they had a poor (by their standards) season.
Old 27-07-22, 11:18 PM   #26
Liverpool
Paisley

The running battle we've had with City makes this game a bit meaningless imo, the media might try the 'putting down a marker' stuff. We already know the score about each other and we'll learn very little on Saturday.

I don't think either manager will be too fussed about the result and a 5-0 result either way won't impact the thinking going into the season.

Can't say i've paid any attention since Paris tbh, Fulham is the one in the calender.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-22, 04:37 AM   #27
Sus
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
The running battle we've had with City makes this game a bit meaningless imo, the media might try the 'putting down a marker' stuff. We already know the score about each other and we'll learn very little on Saturday.

I don't think either manager will be too fussed about the result and a 5-0 result either way won't impact the thinking going into the season.

Can't say i've paid any attention since Paris tbh, Fulham is the one in the calender.
Yep, this. This weekend feels too early for the start of another football season, so treating it like the pre season match it is.
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-22, 07:19 AM   #28
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
Yep, this. This weekend feels too early for the start of another football season, so treating it like the pre season match it is.
Until we win 3-0 then we’ll all be biggin it up
Old 28-07-22, 08:34 AM   #29
frank the tank
Paisley

Quote:
They might see salah for half an hour if he only gets an hour on Sat.

They miggt see nunez for an hour if he only gets 30 mins on sat

They will probably see milner and jones though
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-22, 08:53 AM   #30
Sus
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Yes of course! Does that even need to be said?

Old 28-07-22, 08:58 AM   #31
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Old 28-07-22, 10:13 AM   #32
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Also wonder if we will be keen to avoid any more Haaland vs Nunez narratives and heap more pressure on by not playing him against City?
I think yesterday answered this. He's going to start on the bench against City. Smart move to avoid putting Nunez under too much pressure early on IMO.
Old 28-07-22, 10:17 AM   #33
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Yes of course! Does that even need to be said?

I like to state the obvious
Old 28-07-22, 10:20 AM   #34
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post

Quote:
Yeah exactly the same. I've loved the break. Inching closer to feeling ready to go, but not arsed about the weekend.
Old 28-07-22, 10:21 AM   #35
SB
Paisley

Quote:
I think yesterday answered this. He's going to start on the bench against City. Smart move to avoid putting Nunez under too much pressure early on IMO.
Yep it makes sense.
Old 28-07-22, 10:34 AM   #36
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:

Yep that's all it is really. If we were not in it, then no doubt we would have had a friendly against a strong team arranged for this weekend anyway.

A big win or big loss in this means nothing for the following weekend when actual points will be at stake.

Roll on Fulham.
Old 28-07-22, 10:46 AM   #37
Sus
Fagan

Can't wait for Fulham - just need to decide if I include Mitrovic in my FF team. He was incredibly disappointing last time (though, to be fair, Fulham that season were a case study of what not to do as a promoted team)
Old 28-07-22, 10:47 AM   #38
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Can't wait for Fulham - just need to decide if I include Mitrovic in my FF team. He was incredibly disappointing last time (though, to be fair, Fulham that season were a case study of what not to do as a promoted team)

Have him in mine along with Awoniyi. In fact all three strikers in my FF team are gambles.
Old 28-07-22, 12:43 PM   #39
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Have him in mine along with Awoniyi. In fact all three strikers in my FF team are gambles.
My forward line is absolutely shit cos I've gone big on 'midfielders' and Trent
Old 28-07-22, 12:46 PM   #40
Jaco_Pastorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
My forward line is absolutely shit cos I've gone big on 'midfielders' and Trent

I am the same. Said as much in the FF thread that I go big in midfield and with full backs for my points, then gamble on some low to mid priced strikers having 120 to 150 point seasons.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC