It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 12-07-19, 02:13 PM   #1
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

Thoughts going into the new season?

Couldn't see a thread anywhere however I suspect it's probably been discussed as part of other threads but fuck it - he's a new fresh one.

So what's everyone thinking.....

I am excited, but with a little bit of nerves however I still believe we need to add one or two players....

Excited - we are the European Champions, we've just had an unbelievable season, we've got some quality players right across the pitch and starting XI wise, we're pretty much sorted which is the first time I could say that going into pre-season as I've always felt we needed one or two more.

I am hoping that winning the CL has given everyone not only more confidence, but taken off a bit a pressure....this team is too good to not win something and losing to Real Madrid and being pipped by City could have really seen us off....I am hoping now the 'Klopp winning a final' and 'Liverpool not winning anything' is off our back it should ease the pressure - albeit we will all shit ourselves if we are in contention for the league.

Nerves - where I am worried is, I don't know if it's possible for us to continue and sustain for a whole season, the levels we produced last season. I'll be fucking gutted if the league is shit by all this year and City win it with like 76 points!

Squad Depth - Ideal world we need a couple more....based on the current squad list all staying/no-one being sold.....

You want/need two players per position - so I see us as good full back cover and another quality/pacey front man short....

GK - Alisson/Mignolet

LB - Robertson/No one

CB - VVD/Gomez/Matip/Lovren

RB - TAA/Clyne

CM - Hendo/Fabinho/Wijnaldum/Ox/Milner/Keita/Lallana

Widemen - Salah/Mane/Shaqiri/An other

Forward - Firmino/Origi

21 players there - add the full back and forward and we'd have 23 man squad plus some promising players coming through.

New ginge CB/Hoever/Woodburn/Wilson/Brewster etc

Personally, i'm not sure if Woodburn/Wilson/Brewster are there yet, which is why I am hoping we add another forward player.

There are also concerns with fitness on Gomez/Matip/Lovren/Clyne/Henderson/Lallana/Ox/Keita - who have all missed long periods over the last couple of years through niggling injuries - it's vital we keep as many of them fit as possible.

Competition wise - obviously City are the main issue....Spurs will be up there again however I am not at this moment to worried by Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea.

Bring it on
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-07-19, 02:36 PM   #2
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

I think the distraction of the World Club Championships will affect our chances and we'll come up short again. I also worry that last season will have taken it out of us, emotionally and physically and we'll struggle to hit the same heights.

I expect us to have a good season again though, I think we'll comfortably finish second and I wouldn't be surprised to see us in another CL final.

That being said, Klopp seems confident that this group of players can move up another gear next season. Get through the first couple of months, get everyone back and fully fit and who knows...
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 04:17 PM   #3
ronanm
Shankly

Not really that bothered about it after winning the CL last season tbh. Could do with a break from football for a while.
Old 13-07-19, 10:38 AM   #4
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I'm not that bothered about football at this moment in time. I'm sure I'll be as excited as a school child the night before but I have other focuses at the moment.
Old 13-07-19, 11:12 AM   #5
Exiled_red
Paisley

I'm really excited about going again, last season was fantastic and I really want to see us pick up where we left off and challenge for the title again. I am a bit concerned that we might not be able to repeat what we did last season. I am a bit concerned about the lack of major signings at the moment and just hope that this doesn't come back to bite us.But these are secondary to the excitement.
Old 13-07-19, 03:13 PM   #6
The_weatherman
Smug

It's a huge risk betting on the young players, but if it comes off, we'll be be golden really, with a huge warchest for the season after and some young players to break through. So excited for the new season, we are the most fun team in Europe and I think we are on the cusp of something great.
Old 13-07-19, 04:13 PM   #7
labourRed
Shankly

Yeah, I'm not negative about going into the season but see it as a season of consolidation really. We'll be second I reckon, comfortably, good chance at a domestic cup and we should go deep in Europe.

City are just too relentless and have a ridiculous squad.

Should be a lot less stressful though.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 04:26 PM   #8
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I'm not that bothered about football at this moment in time. I'm sure I'll be as excited as a school child the night before but I have other focuses at the moment.
You still gonna do the match threads dude????
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 08:17 PM   #9
rodo
Shankly

hope we dont rest on our laurels hear a lot of talk about 97 points etc if ever there was a time to strengthen its now
Old 13-07-19, 09:24 PM   #10
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Just sit back and enjoy it you miserable bastards

We’ve been shite for ages. If we can’t look forward to this season then what’s the point?
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 09:52 PM   #11
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

I expect us to win the CL again, final at worst, we are better than everyone else ability wise and Anfield gives us a huge advantage anyway, it's hugely unlikely anyone can beat us over 2 legs, not particularly impressed with any potential rivals transfer business either.

The league is more difficult and out of our hands to some extent. We are better than City but If we get a Manchester ref reffing our games v them, City getting huge favours when struggling in games, Man Utd and Everton match fixing to give them the points etc etc then it's going to be hard to finish above them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 10:07 PM   #12
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

We’ll win the league with 89 points.

We’ll also get knocked out of the CL with an utter incompetent referee display that pisses us all off no end.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 12:01 AM   #13
ChesterDave
Paisley

We're going to win the Octuple
Old 14-07-19, 12:10 AM   #14
Liverpool
Paisley

winning the European Cup would normally give us a huge amount of breathing space to have a slack few years but we have a special manager and group of players, we need to make the most of them and the need for the league title coming up to 30 years is massive. City are also unreal.

2 long seasons in our legs and with City being so good, add in Super Cup/ World club thing. I have low expectations of this season but I think we'll lose 1 or 2 key players next summer.

You can see the weight has gone from Henderson shoulders, maybe even Klopp and the rest of the squad, we have a free hit at this season imo.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 11:53 AM   #15
Exiled_red
Paisley

Not primarily an LFC concern but I worry the effect VAR is going to have, while that will impact everyone to some extent. It is more likely to affect the top teams in a negative way in that delays within games while awaiting decisions will disrupt our rhythm and that will be something that we will have to learn how to deal with.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 14-07-19 at 11:55 AM.
Exiled_red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 09:38 PM   #16
frank the tank
Shankly

I think of the top teams though, it will help us. We'd have won the league last year had VAR been in place
Old 14-07-19, 11:11 PM   #17
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
You still gonna do the match threads dude????
Not for pre-season games lol

But yeah I will do them
Old 14-07-19, 11:53 PM   #18
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Not for pre-season games lol

But yeah I will do them
You are our lucky charm

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 09:20 AM   #19
poorscousertommy
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I think of the top teams though, it will help us. We'd have won the league last year had VAR been in place
Yeah, we were denied a number of stonewall pens.
poorscousertommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 11:02 AM   #20
Fuzzy
Fagan

"Versatile Adam Lallana could become Liverpool’s Jorginho" – Jürgen Klopp

My god... Although it has to be said he did look good vs. Tranmere.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 15-07-19, 11:04 AM   #21
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

All this bollocks about lallana being the new 'anything' is just putting his name out there to fluff potential buyers.

I fucking hope

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson

Last edited by baitman; 15-07-19 at 11:25 AM.
Old 15-07-19, 11:17 AM   #22
RedReet

Quote:

Poor Lallana, even Klopp's having a go now.
Old 15-07-19, 11:20 AM   #23
Fuzzy
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Poor Lallana, even Klopp's having a go now.
I only saw them play vs us last year but can't remember Jorginho, is he really that shit?
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 11:26 AM   #24
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
I only saw them play vs us last year but can't remember Jorginho, is he really that shit?

Old 15-07-19, 11:30 AM   #25
RedReet

Quote:
He's obviously not shit, but after a few months when teams realised the best way to get at Chelsea was to put him under pressure and give him no time, he really struggled.

My comments on Lallana in that role were that he takes too much time on the ball and doesn't have the pace to get back, which actually makes the Jorginho comparison a fair one.
Old 15-07-19, 03:52 PM   #26
Havors
Fagan

My thoughts are Brewster is an absolute fox in the box... very different from Firmino style of play. Will Klopp mix up our play when/if he plays? He is also taller than I thought... I seemed to think he was a short ass for some reason.
Old 15-07-19, 04:03 PM   #27
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havors View Post
My thoughts are Brewster is an absolute fox in the box... very different from Firmino style of play. Will Klopp mix up our play when/if he plays? He is also taller than I thought... I seemed to think he was a short ass for some reason.
I thought he was tiny also......
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 04:32 PM   #28
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havors View Post

Firmino wasn't a Firmino player before Klopp turned him into one. There's some evidence from that clip above that Brewster has at least been asked to perform similarly. We'll have to be patient while he develops but he looks like he has all the tools to be a top class player.
Old 15-07-19, 04:36 PM   #29
RedReet

I've been very impressed with his approach play and his workrate. He's a much more complete player than I had previously realised, unless he used his time off to study Firmino and change his style. His vision and awareness around the box is very impressive.

He's definitely grown a few inches too while he's been away, it was one of the first things I posted on here against Tranmere.
Old 15-07-19, 05:26 PM   #30
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Rhian Brewster vs Bradford - Friendly - YouTube

Firmino wasn't a Firmino player before Klopp turned him into one. There's some evidence from that clip above that Brewster has at least been asked to perform similarly. We'll have to be patient while he develops but he looks like he has all the tools to be a top class player.
WTF is that music
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 05:38 PM   #31
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I was waiting for the drop

Old 15-07-19, 10:40 PM   #32
frank the tank
Shankly

He looks like he could be a worldie alright.....would be some bonus
Old 15-07-19, 11:52 PM   #33
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
WTF is that music
Oh, I've long since muted player compliations. I've absolutely no idea.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC