It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 17-10-21, 09:25 AM   #9161
Zapater
Dalglish

Martin upsets Mikey Garcia. Mikey can't complain about that at all for me. Over the 10 rounds Martin boxed smart and did the smoother, cleaner work. It's hard to imagine that result beforehand, but it's fair. I thought they may have robbed him because in America, a lot of judges mistake coming forward as ring generalship in those hard to score rounds. Martin was quite slick and showed some handy head movement/counter punching. It'll be interesting to see if it's a one off or if he's actually a good fighter at this level. There'll probably be a rematch, if not Garcia should go back to lightweight. It was a bit strange because in some ways it looked more like an active sparring session than a pro fight. Maybe the stage was a bit small for Mikey to get going, but full credit to Martin either way, really well executed.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 09:49 AM   #9162
Zapater
Dalglish

I like to revisit old fights, it's just something I do to compare what I thought at the time vs now. It's hard to believe it was around 20 years ago, but Mosley vs De la Hoya 2 is an interesting one which I think about from time to time. It was a good fight, not incredibly memorable, but still a good one. The speed, footwork etc at the start and the heart at the end. I watched it for a second time around 10 years ago and again today.

I think Mosley would've stopped Oscar if it were a 15 round fight as his body work was slowing him down. In some ways, I don't think Oscar was ever the same after that, or more that it was the beginning of the end. Hopkins, Mayweather and Manny get the credit, but I think this took a lot out of Oscar. IIRC Mayweather Sr and Oscar had a massive cry of being robbed after the fight, I still can't see how they could think that. The first 8 rounds were close with Shane doing the slightly heavier work and beating Oscar to the punch slightly more often than not and then won the latter rounds. I think I enjoyed it today more than I did the previous times. The more boxing I watch though and think about, the more I feel I have no idea how to score a fight after seeing so many fucked up cards.

On Mosley, I think he's somewhat underrated. Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright were ridiculous assignments for him size and style wise. It's easy to remember the slow, gun shy, old Mosley who lost a lot at the end of his career. He got old in the ring in the second half of the Mayweather fight and probably should have hung them up right there. I know the timing was wrong for them at lightweight, as Mayweather was younger/smaller then, but at lightweight I think would have been an awful fight for Floyd if he had to have moved up. The 98 lightweight Mosley would have been a nightmare for him.
Old 17-10-21, 11:03 AM   #9163
spud_gun
Paisley

Mikey seems to have been enjoying his food a little too much.

You couldn't help but think the fix was in when the first judge scored it 95-95.

Welter or even the 145 catch weight is a bridge too far for Mikey. Can he no longer make 140?
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 11:21 AM   #9164
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Mikey seems to have been enjoying his food a little too much.

You couldn't help but think the fix was in when the first judge scored it 95-95.

Welter or even the 145 catch weight is a bridge too far for Mikey. Can he no longer make 140?

Old video, but he does indeed love his food. Maybe it's not that easy to get away with now that he's a little older. It was more a blip for me though, wasn't outboxed or beaten up. Just narrowly lost the rounds and didn't work hard enough. He didn't pay the price in the gym and lost. It was strange how relaxed he was about it too. After 40 fights maybe his spark wasn't quite lit. Still has plenty of mileage left and I think he'll be back strong sooner or later at whatever weight he chooses.
Old 19-10-21, 11:36 AM   #9165
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
I like to revisit old fights, it's just something I do to compare what I thought at the time vs now. It's hard to believe it was around 20 years ago, but Mosley vs De la Hoya 2 is an interesting one which I think about from time to time. It was a good fight, not incredibly memorable, but still a good one. The speed, footwork etc at the start and the heart at the end. I watched it for a second time around 10 years ago and again today.

I think Mosley would've stopped Oscar if it were a 15 round fight as his body work was slowing him down. In some ways, I don't think Oscar was ever the same after that, or more that it was the beginning of the end. Hopkins, Mayweather and Manny get the credit, but I think this took a lot out of Oscar. IIRC Mayweather Sr and Oscar had a massive cry of being robbed after the fight, I still can't see how they could think that. The first 8 rounds were close with Shane doing the slightly heavier work and beating Oscar to the punch slightly more often than not and then won the latter rounds. I think I enjoyed it today more than I did the previous times. The more boxing I watch though and think about, the more I feel I have no idea how to score a fight after seeing so many fucked up cards.

On Mosley, I think he's somewhat underrated. Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright were ridiculous assignments for him size and style wise. It's easy to remember the slow, gun shy, old Mosley who lost a lot at the end of his career. He got old in the ring in the second half of the Mayweather fight and probably should have hung them up right there. I know the timing was wrong for them at lightweight, as Mayweather was younger/smaller then, but at lightweight I think would have been an awful fight for Floyd if he had to have moved up. The 98 lightweight Mosley would have been a nightmare for him.

Cracking post. Enjoyed reading it and will have to give that fight a rewatch myself after reading the above.

From what I can recall of that fight I think it was one that reminded me of Hagler/Leonard for the very reason you eluded to in that the result may have been very different had the fight been a few rounds longer.

Cannot disagree with anything you say about Mosley. Think that is a very fair assessment of a guy whose best days seem to be overlooked an awful lot. Some fighters seem to have their legacy enhanced with the benefit of hidsight, but Mosley seems to have gone the other way as the latter stages of his career tend to be where the focus remains to this day.

est1892 > General > General Sports