It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 06-09-10, 02:26 AM   #1
peekay
Dr.

NFL or College football Fans

Anybody on this forum follow NFL or American College football?
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 06-09-10, 04:04 AM   #2
TartanTerror
Evans

As one of the yanks I do follow the NFL and college. Grew up in New Orleans so I pull for the Saints. My college team is Texas A&M (not much to cheer for in the last 8 years or so).
Old 06-09-10, 06:59 AM   #3
Nate7
Houllier

I'm a dolphins fan So i can't wail til next Sunday. Just started watching college football having espn America for the first time, did anyone see the LSU - north Carolina game? They just wouldn't quit!!!
Old 06-09-10, 07:21 AM   #4
Icon
Beside the seaside...

Used to follow Miami a great deal in the Shula / Marino time.

I now just sort of check the score and leagues but not much else...
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 09:54 AM   #5
spud_gun
Paisley

Philadelphia Eagles fan here. Looking forward to the NFL starting on Thursday
Old 06-09-10, 10:08 AM   #6
krade
Fagan

I used to play Americvan Football in it's height of popularity in the UK late 80's early 90's.

Was massively into it back in the days of Jim Everett, Joe Montana, Dan Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino ect.

Used to be a big Rams fan and college team would be Texas Tech as I have friends who live in Lubbock TX.
krade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 10:45 AM   #7
Hollowman
Paisley

Texas Tech looked alright last night. Tuberville has that Potts-Leong connection up and running. Big yards and points in that. Players are probably just happy they can't be locked in a cupboard anymore. And I think Tre Porter might turn out to be a stud at corner.

Big game of the weekend is tonight. If the Broncos go to Landover and beat VA-Tech then they should go unbeaten, which could see them in the national game come January.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 03:51 PM   #8
peekay
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanTerror View Post
As one of the yanks I do follow the NFL and college. Grew up in New Orleans so I pull for the Saints. My college team is Texas A&M (not much to cheer for in the last 8 years or so).
I went to college at your arch rivals - University of Texas Dont have an NFL team yet. I find college football more interesting than NFL. Now I live an hour from Pittsburgh. So I have been following the Steelers. Lived in Nashville for a couple of years when I came to US. So I have a soft spot for the Titans.
Old 06-09-10, 09:14 PM   #9
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate7 View Post
I'm a dolphins fan So i can't wail til next Sunday. Just started watching college football having espn America for the first time, did anyone see the LSU - north Carolina game? They just wouldn't quit!!!
I'm a LSU Tiger and we need to get rid of Les Miles and Gary Crowton straight away they can recruit but can't coach. UNC had 13 SUSPENSIONS and we still couldn't put them away.

Crowton was shit at BYU and Oregon after starting well and he's doing the same thing at LSU he needs to go.

I'm also a Dolphin fan and I think we will win the AFC East, no problemo.
kemm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 09:19 PM   #10
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
Big game of the weekend is tonight. If the Broncos go to Landover and beat VA-Tech then they should go unbeaten, which could see them in the national game come January.
If two BCS teams go undefeated Boise State won't make it, which is a strong possibility with Ohio State and Oklahoma.
Old 06-09-10, 09:25 PM   #11
Hollowman
Paisley

Obviously if two BCSers go unbeaten then Boise won't get there. But Oklahoma? Not on this week's showing. Nowhere fucking near. They've got to go to the Cowboys, and they have the Longhorns in Dallas. Hell, they have FSU next week and Ponder will shred that secondary.

Ohio State and Bama might go unbeaten. But Bama will probably play Florida twice. Although, that looks like a walkover if Saturday's game at the Swamp is anything to go by. I think the Canes might knock of Ohio next week though. Pryor will have bad matches where he makes bad decisions.
Old 06-09-10, 10:09 PM   #12
Nate7
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemm1 View Post
I'm a LSU Tiger and we need to get rid of Les Miles and Gary Crowton straight away they can recruit but can't coach. UNC had 13 SUSPENSIONS and we still couldn't put them away.

Crowton was shit at BYU and Oregon after starting well and he's doing the same thing at LSU he needs to go.

I'm also a Dolphin fan and I think we will win the AFC East, no problemo.
I'm not sure about the intricacies of college football yet so i'm not sure who I support, although the espn 30 for 30 film about the Miami hurricanes makes me wanna root for them but I must admit I was rooting for North Carolina, having that many players out but still playing like that made me think of Istanbul!!
I hope the dolphins do well, let's hope Henne can be the QB that we need.

Also has anyone been watching Hard Knocks? Rex Ryan seems like a good guy even for a Jets coach!!
Old 06-09-10, 10:21 PM   #13
yellowbelly74
Evans

Bears fan here. DA BEARS! Was looking forward to the season what with the Bears getting Peppers and having Urlacher back on Defence. But it seems from pre-season that the Offensive Line is just muck and can't give Cutler any protection. I really thought that Martz would make a massive difference as his aggressive style should suit Cutler. But it seems there are bigger problems over at Soldier Field. Looks like it might another season of disappointment.
yellowbelly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 10:46 PM   #14
Hollowman
Paisley

They've hilarious cut half their draftees from last year too. And, bizarrely, Dan Lefevour, even though they have no meaningful cover for Cutler.
Old 07-09-10, 05:27 AM   #15
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Obviously if two BCSers go unbeaten then Boise won't get there. But Oklahoma? Not on this week's showing. Nowhere fucking near. They've got to go to the Cowboys, and they have the Longhorns in Dallas. Hell, they have FSU next week and Ponder will shred that secondary.

Ohio State and Bama might go unbeaten. But Bama will probably play Florida twice. Although, that looks like a walkover if Saturday's game at the Swamp is anything to go by. I think the Canes might knock of Ohio next week though. Pryor will have bad matches where he makes bad decisions.
Oklahoma State is the big hurdle for OU to clear, Texas won't do anything this year and please don't overrate FSU especially with Jimbo Fisher as coach.

When was the last time the U won a big game like this? You really thimk that Jacoby Harris is a better QB than Pryor?

Bama won't run the SEC table two years in a row, no chance.
Old 07-09-10, 05:31 AM   #16
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate7 View Post
I'm not sure about the intricacies of college football yet so i'm not sure who I support, although the espn 30 for 30 film about the Miami hurricanes makes me wanna root for them but I must admit I was rooting for North Carolina, having that many players out but still playing like that made me think of Istanbul!!
I hope the dolphins do well, let's hope Henne can be the QB that we need.

Also has anyone been watching Hard Knocks? Rex Ryan seems like a good guy even for a Jets coach!!
Didn't see the film but the Dolphins will get it done this year.
Old 07-09-10, 09:04 AM   #17
badpiggy
Paisley

Quote:

That post is clearly written in the style of WWE presenters/pundits.
Old 07-09-10, 09:37 AM   #18
fatistuta
Benitez

I'm a Steeelers fan because I had Steelers pyjamas when I was little. Followed the sport properly from around early 80's when Channel 4 started covering it. BTW is anyone setting up an EST1892 predictions league on facetheball website for the NFL season?
Old 07-09-10, 10:57 AM   #19
Hollowman
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
that post is clearly written in the style of wwe presenters/pundits.
garrett gilbert from the top turnbuckle! Oooohhhhh, what a hit!
Old 07-09-10, 01:04 PM   #20
peekay
Dr.

Fantastic performance by Boise State last night against the Hokies. They should make it to the National Championships.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 07-09-10, 06:55 PM   #21
badpiggy
Paisley

Quote:
garrett gilbert from the top turnbuckle! Oooohhhhh, what a hit!
Nods. Smiles. Leaves.
Old 11-09-10, 08:43 PM   #22
TartanTerror
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay View Post
I went to college at your arch rivals - University of Texas Dont have an NFL team yet. I find college football more interesting than NFL. Now I live an hour from Pittsburgh. So I have been following the Steelers. Lived in Nashville for a couple of years when I came to US. So I have a soft spot for the Titans.
Texas A&M used to have an Evertonian view of college football so far as a win or loss vs. t.u. defined the success or failure of the entire season. I have supported UT when they played for the national title as I want the conference to do well. I have several mates who attended UT for doctoral work (post A&M) and as such do not fire vitriol as some other Aggies might .
Old 11-09-10, 09:10 PM   #23
Baracus
Roggy

can't wait for sunday night football. I hate football soccer on sundays especially if we lose or draw makes sundays incredibly dull and pointless for me on most ocassions. But now sunday night football nfl, srarts again i ll have something to be excited about. Especially as channel 4 have picked up the uk tv rights for it. 1:00am start

Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 01:46 AM   #24
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Oklahoma - 47
Florida State - 17

and

Ohio State - 36
Miami - 24

Old 12-09-10, 01:33 PM   #25
Hollowman
Paisley

Classy.
Old 12-09-10, 01:34 PM   #26
Hollowman
Paisley

Quote:
Fantastic performance by Boise State last night against the Hokies. They should make it to the National Championships.

That Virginia Tech defeat yesterday won't do Boise any favours in the polls.
Old 12-09-10, 01:39 PM   #27
yellowbelly74
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
can't wait for sunday night football. I hate football soccer on sundays especially if we lose or draw makes sundays incredibly dull and pointless for me on most ocassions. But now sunday night football nfl, srarts again i ll have something to be excited about. Especially as channel 4 have picked up the uk tv rights for it. 1:00am start
I agree. I hate Sunday matches if we lose. Sundays are already bad enough without that. Atleast now I'll have the NFL to look forward to. And possibly a Bears win. Possibly.
Old 12-09-10, 05:01 PM   #28
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Classy.
Thank you, anytime.
Old 12-09-10, 05:11 PM   #29
paulg
Dalglish

I've never got into College football, not being in US means we rarely get to see any.

Vikings follower, as opposed to fan. Trying to get back into it, this year, as I have done with F1.
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 09:27 PM   #30
yellowbelly74
Evans

God the Bears were awful today. They hung on to win by 5 but with 24 seconds to go Detroit had a perfectly good touchdown overruled. It look perfectly good to me but the commentators said it was overruled for some process rule. Would be interested to see what others on here thought about it if anyone happens to see the highlights. Not sure what team Cutler thinks he's with but he is hanging on to the ball WAY too long with an Offensive Line which cannot protect him. It's going to be a long, long season.
Old 13-09-10, 03:34 AM   #31
peekay
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
I've never got into College football, not being in US means we rarely get to see any.

Vikings follower, as opposed to fan. Trying to get back into it, this year, as I have done with F1.
It is very difficult to get into college football unless you went to uni here or lived in college towns in south US like Texas, Louisiana, Florida. I have been living in college towns for the last 6 years and I find college football more exciting than NFL.
Old 13-09-10, 10:17 AM   #32
Hollowman
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelly74 View Post
God the Bears were awful today. They hung on to win by 5 but with 24 seconds to go Detroit had a perfectly good touchdown overruled. It look perfectly good to me but the commentators said it was overruled for some process rule. Would be interested to see what others on here thought about it if anyone happens to see the highlights. Not sure what team Cutler thinks he's with but he is hanging on to the ball WAY too long with an Offensive Line which cannot protect him. It's going to be a long, long season.
Ridiculous call by the officials. If you fumble a ball out of bounds you get to keep possession where you went out of bounds. So CJ leaves the ball on the floor out the back of the end zone and it doesn't count?

Bears were their own worst enemy though. They racked up three times the Lions yardage and yet did fuck all with it. Turnovers killing them again.
Old 13-09-10, 12:02 PM   #33
spud_gun
Paisley

Nice to see the Philly fans giving Kolb time to settle into his new role.

Was it the second quarter before the boo's started?
Old 13-09-10, 01:54 PM   #34
tommyg
Dalglish

Johnson showed signs of why he's gonna be one of the most talented and explosive running backs in the game for the next decade hopefully
Old 13-09-10, 02:01 PM   #35
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Johnson showed signs of why he's gonna be one of the most talented and explosive running backs in the game for the next decade hopefully
Decade? You'll be lucky if he's got another 3 or 4 years at the top.

Running backs have a very short career. A good running back can put up great numbers over 4 or 5 years and then they'll fall off the cliff. Look at the great running backs over the last ten or so years Alexander, Thomlinson, Holmes. Sure you get the odd freak like Smith who can just run and run and run but Johnson's not built like Smith.
Old 14-09-10, 01:08 AM   #36
TartanTerror
Evans

Quote:
It is very difficult to get into college football unless you went to uni here or lived in college towns in south US like Texas, Louisiana, Florida. I have been living in college towns for the last 6 years and I find college football more exciting than NFL.
As I get older I find the NFL more contrived. Unrelated sport but I cannot stand the NBA for much the same reason. Years of brain washing render the NFL more resistant to the effects of maturation.
Old 19-09-10, 11:00 PM   #37
Hollowman
Paisley

Randy Moss. Sick.
Old 20-09-10, 03:47 PM   #38
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Randy Moss. Sick.
Revis bum hammy. Only reason it happened.
Old 10-10-10, 06:16 PM   #39
Baracus
Roggy

randy moss trade by the pats?

Poor defense but thats them out the reckoning for the superbowl imo

Saints again it it, never know maybe the bears even?

Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 06:23 PM   #40
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
randy moss trade by the pats?

Poor defense but thats them out the reckoning for the superbowl imo

Saints again it it, never know maybe the bears even?
if this bears team makes it to the superbowl, it would be the most damning indictment of any sporting league in the history of man.

more damning that the idea of human rights to the sport of throwing christians to the lions and slave gladiators.

est1892 > General > General Sports