It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 11-03-12, 09:36 PM   #1
Darkon
Football Expert

Any NBA followers here?

Watching Celtic vs Lakers right now, and wondered if anyone else on here likes to watch some baskett from the states?

Some great athletes and great action in the sport. If there are we could perhaps get a thread going
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 11-03-12, 10:19 PM   #2
Daffy Duck
Shankly

Great idea, I'm no expert but I enjoy watching it whenever I can. Never liked Lakers nor Boston though, on the OKC bandwagon right now

Oh, and Metta World Peace is a twat.
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 11:21 PM   #3
Chazza
Des Lynam

I got into it a couple of years ago when we went to Florida, tried to get tickets for the Orlando playoff games but didn't manage it

Chicago Bulls all the way for me, Derek Rose is brilliant
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 05:42 AM   #4
Mostar
Chief Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
Watching Celtic vs Lakers right now, and wondered if anyone else on here likes to watch some baskett from the states?

Some great athletes and great action in the sport. If there are we could perhaps get a thread going
Absolutely.

I personally like to watch Bulls as they have fairly young and exciting team.

Like them as they completely had to rebuild since Jordan retired and this year finally they have the legitimate chance to win it all the way (last year they came close but not quite).

Derrick Rose, their point guard, my favorite is probably the best player in NBA at the moment imo ahead of Wade, Lebron, Kobe and Howard.

Some great players and some very competitive games can give you some truly enjoyable entertainment almost daily.
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
Mostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:01 AM   #5
Harv
Randy Marsh

Golden State Warriors fan from way back in the early 90's here. Run TMC

Yes, we suck, but we play some of the most exciting bball. Don't know why i chose them as a kid, we've made the playoffs about once since the early 90's

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:06 AM   #6
Harv
Randy Marsh

Did anyone see Gerald Greens dunk yesterday BTW?

Absolutely insane.

Just sick, utterly sick. LOOK WHERE HIS HEAD IS FFS!!

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Old 12-03-12, 08:39 AM   #7
Darkon
Football Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy Duck View Post
Great idea, I'm no expert but I enjoy watching it whenever I can. Never liked Lakers nor Boston though, on the OKC bandwagon right now

Oh, and Metta World Peace is a twat.
Not a big fan of either franchises myself, just the live game on tele and always a good matchup.

When i first started watching NBA in the early 90's I was in to Phoenix and mainly because of Charles Barkley

Now a days I don't have any particular team I follow, just like the game

My favorite player is perhaps Nowitsky, fantastic allround player can do just about anything.

And great finish to the game last night

And yes World Peace Never thought I would say that sentence untill he changed his name
Old 12-03-12, 08:41 AM   #8
Darkon
Football Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
Absolutely.

I personally like to watch Bulls as they have fairly young and exciting team.

Like them as they completely had to rebuild since Jordan retired and this year finally they have the legitimate chance to win it all the way (last year they came close but not quite).

Derrick Rose, their point guard, my favorite is probably the best player in NBA at the moment imo ahead of Wade, Lebron, Kobe and Howard.

Some great players and some very competitive games can give you some truly enjoyable entertainment almost daily.
Bulls have a team to follow the next couple of years if they can keep it together. Don't agree about Rose being the best player in the NBA right now, quite a few I would put ahead of him but def. a very good player.

Also you can watch highlights for free on the nba website :P
Old 12-03-12, 08:42 AM   #9
Darkon
Football Expert

What a Dunk
Old 12-03-12, 01:52 PM   #10
Harv
Randy Marsh

Ive watched a lot of basketball, and thats right up there with the best dunks I've seen. Thats All-star game dunk comp stuff IN A GAME!!

Old 12-03-12, 01:56 PM   #11
Resu
Dalglish

Don`t follow it, but I`ve been at one NBA game. Houston vs Bulls 6-7 years ago. Got to see Pippen and that big chinese guy.

That`s all.
Old 12-03-12, 02:02 PM   #12
Darkon
Football Expert

hmm, I would have thought at least 8 other players would be on the floor, think you got ripped off by a huge chinese guy and a Pippen look-a-like mate!
Old 12-03-12, 03:17 PM   #13
Resu
Dalglish

Well, it was a friday night so might missed a few things as the game progressed (or even started).
Old 13-03-12, 01:06 AM   #14
Gibbo
Like a boss

Miami Heat

And thats about all I can contribute.
Old 13-03-12, 07:11 AM   #15
kemm1
Dalglish

I'm a lifelong Laker fan, it seems like we'll be going downhill a bit, but we always find a way to rebuild.
kemm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-12, 08:27 AM   #16
Darkon
Football Expert

Lakers have a habit of doing so, wouldn't be the franchise leaders with the Celtic if otherwise. They just really need a new PG and it's looking fairly good, and perhaps and extra forward.
Old 13-03-12, 08:28 AM   #17
Darkon
Football Expert

Who do people have as final contenders and winner?
Old 13-03-12, 08:50 AM   #18
Chazza
Des Lynam

One of Miami, Oklahoma City or Chicago for me
Old 13-03-12, 09:29 AM   #19
Darkon
Football Expert

Miami or Chicago will most likely end up in the final vs either OC, Lakers or Spurs.
Old 13-03-12, 03:13 PM   #20
Hollowman
Paisley

Play-off brackets for the NCAA tournie start tonight, if anyone fancies some college hoops. ESPN are covering almost every game.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 13-03-12, 03:19 PM   #21
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
Play-off brackets for the NCAA tournie start tonight, if anyone fancies some college hoops. ESPN are covering almost every game.
Ive caught a bit of this quite enjoy it, the crowds are a bit lively
Old 13-03-12, 03:20 PM   #22
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

I love it, start times make it hard to watch though but espn have plenty on, xmas days are usually epic.

Saw a bit of the Knicks v Bulls last night. The Knicks attempts to defend are comical, pretty much every attack from the opposition seems to lead to an unchallenged basket. They need to get rid of the coach.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-12, 03:25 PM   #23
Harv
Randy Marsh

March Madness is amazing. The college crowds put the NBA's to shame big time.

Kentucky have it in the bag though. They have one of the best lineups I've ever seen. Anthony Davis is going to be an absolute superstar. Can handle like a guard and he's 6'11. Wingspan of a jumbo jet, blocks shots like fucking crazy, great touch around the basket and has the desire to be the best to go along with an amazing monobrow. He'll be unstoppable.

Hope the W's get him

Old 13-03-12, 03:55 PM   #24
Hollowman
Paisley

Yeah, but everyone said they had the SEC title in the bag on Sunday too, and look how that went. The final five minutes were insane. Vandy just ran all over them.

In straight tournament ball, nobody has anything in the bag. Equally, it might have been the best thing that could have happened to UK as they go into the tournie. They do have Connecticut and Indiana (who beat them earlier) in their bracket though.
Old 13-03-12, 04:47 PM   #25
fah-q
Touching cloth

I used to be massively into basketball in the days of Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, etc.
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-12, 04:49 PM   #26
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Used to love it, I played for our school team and we once reached a final which we played before a British league game and a decent-ish crowd.

We lost.

Saw 'British Basketball' on Sky the other week and watched a game - Durham something or other v Mersey Tigers. Utter utter shite it was. I used to follow it in the early 90s but it looks like there are no teams in existence from back then (Derby Rams were my team but I also liked Kingston - who don't seem to exist anymore - and Alton Byrd ), all the teams are different and the game I watched was - no different to how it used to be - played in a local leisure centre with about 30 people in attendance.
Old 13-03-12, 06:00 PM   #27
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Lakers have a habit of doing so, wouldn't be the franchise leaders with the Celtic if otherwise. They just really need a new PG and it's looking fairly good, and perhaps and extra forward.
Rumour is that the Lakers turned down an offer from the Celtics - Rondo for Gasol, that's a tough call so I don't mind us turning that trade down.

It will be OKC v Heat for the title, Bosh is quietly dominating this year but not getting a lot of publicity.
Old 13-03-12, 06:03 PM   #28
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Used to love it, I played for our school team and we once reached a final which we played before a British league game and a decent-ish crowd.

We lost.

Saw 'British Basketball' on Sky the other week and watched a game - Durham something or other v Mersey Tigers. Utter utter shite it was. I used to follow it in the early 90s but it looks like there are no teams in existence from back then (Derby Rams were my team but I also liked Kingston - who don't seem to exist anymore - and Alton Byrd ), all the teams are different and the game I watched was - no different to how it used to be - played in a local leisure centre with about 30 people in attendance.
Kingston became the Guildford Kings in the early 90's, used to go down and watch them at the Spectrum leisure centre

They folded in 1994 but were relaunched in 2005 as the Guildford Heat
Old 13-03-12, 06:05 PM   #29
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Yeah, but everyone said they had the SEC title in the bag on Sunday too, and look how that went. The final five minutes were insane. Vandy just ran all over them.

In straight tournament ball, nobody has anything in the bag. Equally, it might have been the best thing that could have happened to UK as they go into the tournie. They do have Connecticut and Indiana (who beat them earlier) in their bracket though.
Will Calipari finally win it though, that's really the key. He has the best team and best players but he's had that before but never won it. Apart from UK I'd have to go with Mizzou. If Mizzou are allowed to run the run and if all the shooters they have are hot they can put up over 80 on anyone. UNC is there with top talent as usual but they don't seem to have that killer instinct.

So UK or Mizzou for me.
Old 14-03-12, 02:26 PM   #30
Hollowman
Paisley

Honestly, I hope the Hilltoppers upset them in the Bluegrass first rounder. They've been an endless source of fun so far this season. They're obviously going to get mashed, but wouldn't it be beautiful to see them stumble through?
Old 14-03-12, 05:57 PM   #31
Tee
El Pistolero

Only one basketball 'team' ever caught my imagination...Harlem Globetrotters.
Old 14-03-12, 11:50 PM   #32
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

D'Antoni has gone, Melo gets his own way, now he needs to start performing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-12, 10:44 AM   #33
Darkon
Football Expert

Chicago beat Miami last night, a very strong showing without Rose, they are getting themselves in line as real contenders!
Old 15-03-12, 04:29 PM   #34
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Honestly, I hope the Hilltoppers upset them in the Bluegrass first rounder. They've been an endless source of fun so far this season. They're obviously going to get mashed, but wouldn't it be beautiful to see them stumble through?
No chance
Old 15-03-12, 04:31 PM   #35
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
D'Antoni has gone, Melo gets his own way, now he needs to start performing.
Melo is building an anti-Melo fan base. The word is also that his team has turned against him.
Old 15-03-12, 04:32 PM   #36
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Chicago beat Miami last night, a very strong showing without Rose, they are getting themselves in line as real contenders!
Didn't catch that game, but great result for the Bulls!
Old 15-03-12, 07:33 PM   #37
Hollowman
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemm1 View Post
The word is...

Old 15-03-12, 10:49 PM   #38
Darkon
Football Expert

Lakers traded Fischer tonight, wonder how they will do without any real point guard? Not that he did much for them this season, but still...
Old 15-03-12, 11:24 PM   #39
Chazza
Des Lynam

Rumours were they tried to trade Gasol to the Nets for Deron Williams
Old 16-03-12, 05:29 AM   #40
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:

I got my info from talk radio, Mad Dog Sports