It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 25-08-10, 12:21 AM   #41
MrShawnMichaels
Fagan

Rafa and watch

MrShawnMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 25-08-10, 12:57 AM   #42
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlovenianKopite View Post
or you might if your predecessor assembles a team that goes to two CL finals, and then Real fuck up a 12 point lead..

anyhow rafa's gone, roy is here.
What, the squad that Cuper had? Is this the same one that they flogged Farinos, Claudio Lopez, Kily Gonzalez and Mendieta to Italy? Then also sold Gerard (alas 1 season prior) to BARCELONA - one of their rivals.

So basically he was given a squad with THE ENTIRE midfield (including Mendieta who was probably the best midfielder in the world at that point in time) sold and the best striker in the world at the time. He transformed Baraja and Albelda into a great midfield combination even though Albelda is (and was) an extremely limited player. Helped Vicente develop into a world class player and achieved despite limitations in the squad, quality of player, arguements with sporting directors (Canobbio the lampshade) and the president.

Then to replicate it 2 years later. I think you're really selling him short on his achievements there. Perhaps Cuper played a part, but Rafa's work there shouldn't be underestimated. I'm not saying that him staying would guarantee us winning the title in the near future, but I must say I'd feel a lot better regarding this seaosn if he was in charge.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-10, 09:22 AM   #43
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
Rafa will be loving this, Maureen has been talking about him constantly, which proves that more than any other manager in Maureens career... Rafa got to him, he can't stand the thought of Rafa getting any credit from anyone... must be eating away at him good style. I bet every time he hears Maureen moaning about him Rafa does a shortened version of that little jig he did on stage for the Istanbul play....followed by a little jump and a click of his heels..... i can just see him now...
Old 25-08-10, 02:08 PM   #44
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
What, the squad that Cuper had? Is this the same one that they flogged Farinos, Claudio Lopez, Kily Gonzalez and Mendieta to Italy? Then also sold Gerard (alas 1 season prior) to BARCELONA - one of their rivals.

So basically he was given a squad with THE ENTIRE midfield (including Mendieta who was probably the best midfielder in the world at that point in time) sold and the best striker in the world at the time. He transformed Baraja and Albelda into a great midfield combination even though Albelda is (and was) an extremely limited player. Helped Vicente develop into a world class player and achieved despite limitations in the squad, quality of player, arguements with sporting directors (Canobbio the lampshade) and the president.

Then to replicate it 2 years later. I think you're really selling him short on his achievements there. Perhaps Cuper played a part, but Rafa's work there shouldn't be underestimated. I'm not saying that him staying would guarantee us winning the title in the near future, but I must say I'd feel a lot better regarding this seaosn if he was in charge.
I wish i was bright enough to write a response like this.
Old 25-08-10, 03:59 PM   #45
SK
I'm Slovakian really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post

he had inherited a fantastic backbone to the team in Canizares, Baraja, Ayala, Albelda, Aimar, Vicente...

Kily, Claudio Lopez and Mendieta were no doubt amongst the best players in the world at that time, but they faded seriously after they left Valencia, and failed to make a significant impact at their new clubs. Still he had the money from the sales and used it wisely to buy new ones, who made a good impact at Valencia.

As you pointed out he had a falling out with the clubs hierarchy(see any patterns there?), which imo is a serious problem with Rafa, sometimes you just need to get on with it, and the fact that after his first title the next season his Valencia finished only 5th in the league(see any patterns there?) points to some inconsistencies in his team's performances.

He's a legend for what he achieved at Liverpool, and i'll remeber him fondly for the special moments in his stay at the club, but i refuse to idolise him in a manner of some on here, who at every oppurtunity use him as a way to get at Hodgson.

Last edited by SK; 25-08-10 at 06:47 PM.
SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-10, 06:27 PM   #46
JudgeRed
Houllier

Old 25-08-10, 07:21 PM   #47
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Can the people who want to have a go at Rafa not do it elsewhere? This thread is for people who want to keep an eye on what he's doing at Inter, not to be making digs about his record, making outlandish claims about "using him as a way at getting at Roy" or going over the same old arguments.
Old 25-08-10, 11:26 PM   #48
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Can the people who want to have a go at Rafa not do it elsewhere? This thread is for people who want to keep an eye on what he's doing at Inter, not to be making digs about his record, making outlandish claims about "using him as a way at getting at Roy" or going over the same old arguments.
Old 25-08-10, 11:39 PM   #49
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

The Liverpool-related stuff starts about half a dozen questions from the end...

"My house is still in Liverpool and part of my heart will be there. Do not rule out returning to Liverpool one day"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
I want to be in Inter many years, but given the choice of another place one day, I would return to Liverpool.

I now feel I come from Liverpool, I have found their supporters fantastic, they get right behind their team, never leaving them alone, just like their anthem says and I have found that with me, with my family that have had a special relationship...once that I will never forget. In those bad moments, when some wanted me goine or wanted me but really wanted me gone, the supporters were there, always there.

"Me alegra lo que me dices, yo vengo de Liverpool, donde me he encontrado una afición maravillosa que siempre respalda al equipo, no le deja solo, como dice el himno, y que conmigo y con mi familia ha tenido un trato especial que nunca olvidaré. Al final en los malos momentos, cuando algunos de dentro ya no me querían o me querían pero ya no me querían, los aficionados estaban ahí, siempre ahí.

I will never forget the day 2000 came out to support me, the Porto game, because there were rumours I would be sacked if we lost. I know the people of Liverpool love me, because they know I always fought for Liverpool, always forgetting my own personal issues. I am never going to sell the house we have there"
Dodgy translation:

In view of the Super Cup, are you favorite to be champions of the Champions League?

No, I've played I already know there is no Super favorite because you're talking about a title to a single party and, therefore, depending on how much influence that you get what you've done before. We are two quality teams and competitive so that anyone can win. The role of favorite in this case, only a game, not real for Inter.

Atletico will be harder than it was the Roma in the Italian Supercup?

Will be different, Atletico have players with quality and mobility and is a different, so our part we have to adjust many things.

Atletico got off to Liverpool to the Europa League a few months ago, where was the key?

We had the tie in our favor, but made a mistake and the goal in the attacking half cost us get out, but in the first half of the match at Anfield had occasion to resolve but we did not.

His opponent in this final has been strengthened and kept well behind the dynamite was already up with Kun and Forlan

It's true that they are signing up pretty well, have quality up front and what they have signed, can achieve this balance they were looking for what will be a very difficult opponent.

Despite this, have made a discreet preseason

The preseason is to work, teams are more tired and it is very difficult to see everything you want to do, but little by little when the players are fresh this work will bear fruit.

Quique continuity should help Atletico better, right?

Of course, whoever the coach, who remains in a team is something that allows players to adapt to their mentality and the players to the coach. That always helps improve performance and grow.

What do you think Quique?

He is a good coach, he has demonstrated in several places and last year also did well with Atletico and I hope they continue doing, but in the league, not in this Cup.

You are playing the Italian Supercup against Ranieri, the coach who replaced him on the bench Mestalla, and is measured now in Europe, precisely, the technician who took over from Ranieri at Valencia, what about the bench?

The Valencia is a great site with a view to the training of coaches and if you do it helps. It is an experience that makes you grow because it is a big team, which requires that forces you to give the maximum and that enriches the coaches who pass by. If you're there and learn in Valencia, is the best way forward.

Is this Inter Milan over Liverpool that eliminated Atlético?

Each year is different, if we said that Atletico has changed with several signings, then compare that with the Inter Liverpool is impossible are totally different teams, do not think the parties that this final qualifying round and have nothing to do.

Super addition, this week has the draw for the Champions League and could be paired with Valencia, where he still has not returned since leaving in 2004

I have no problem playing there, just the opposite because I have very fond memories of Valencia and it would be nice to see many friends I have there. But if you respect a team like you see it but in the end because then you make sure that we are both. So if I have to go to Valencia will be happy, but I can see it in the end, the better it will signal that the two have achieved something important.

What have sales like Villa and Silva?

Valencia is now a team with a very particular economic situation and their leaders, along with sports management and coach are those who have to manage and assess things.

But finding those spare outputs

It is obviously difficult to replace these losses, but the players who have signed are good and now the only thing they lack is adapted to give the desired yield.

Since you left Mestalla, Valencia has gone from winning the league not to be nowhere near fight it

The Spanish league has changed a lot because now there are two teams that at the level of points, have been far above the rest clearly. From there, try to be as close as possible and we'll see what happens this year, although a priori are favorites both players and clubs that have much higher budgets to others.

Come on, that in his opinion, the League will be a thing of Real Madrid and Barca.

Viewing the evolution of last year is that I do not know if the other teams are going to be avoided. The first matches will be mark where each, but from the outside gives the impression that the League may be a thing of two.

By the way, talking about Real Madrid. Are you called to supply Pellegrini?

Football face change much and the fans can be important to know what happened in the past, but I always look to the future and the future is at Inter Milan.

Okay, but you called him or his agent to go to Real Madrid?

In football, there is much rumor mill or contacts that may have more or less foundation and the important thing is where are you and where you want to be now, and why, the answer is Inter.

Have you answered?

Of course not.

Another name was Maicon summer. Has been since the offer was insufficient Madrid?

No, it is because it is an important player for us because from the moment we know that helps a lot to the success of the team and the president is sensitive to that situation and decide which one will be left. Maicon is very grateful to Inter, he is very happy here and if another club comes important interest is a motivation or a joy, he expected to decide on the club and the Inter decides who stays here and all parties are delighted.

Am I see you out?

No, because when I built after World chat with Maicon and he is very happy, grateful to Inter and looking forward to playing well here. All is quiet and you can see in every workout he's happy.

Have they improved the contract to continue in Milan?

I do not carry the contracts at the club.

Change of pace. How do you see the fight in the Calcium?

Juventus have signed enough, the Rome somewhat less, Milan also there is still time to sign more. We are talking about very large teams, with tradition and will not be easy to win the league. The fact that it has won five times in a row makes the people you will inevitably see as the favorite, but seeing the level of Juventus, Roma, Milan and ours, will be difficult.

You won the league in Spain without a favorite, the Premier was neither, but here the role changes and itself part with the number one ...

I do not change anything on the basics, only to tackling the parties themselves have to assume the role of favorite, being the champion, always to the extent that you leave the rival. We start all from scratch and can only try to impose this theoretical superiority.

We just talking about his past. How did it feel to see the first match of Liverpool without you?

A bit of nostalgia and grief after many years. There was very good in the city, closely integrated with what the club and its fans and that's always going to be there. Fortunately, the environment I lived in San Siro was spectacular and I hope here also has the same acceptance and respect of Inter fans that I had in Liverpool, which was sensational.

What was the issue that ended this time?
With the current leadership would be difficult to maintain a dialogue in line with what we expected and it was time to go through many circumstances.

You never played in the Liverpool financial strength to fight on equal terms by the Premier, right?

The good thing about England is that the budgets are there, you can see everyone, and balance in recent years has always been positive about the sale and purchase of players.

What is the stage which closed in Liverpool?

It was sensational, I am very proud to have been there, my house is still there and part of my heart will be there. It was a beautiful experience, the Premiership is exciting and also Liverpool's very special for the fans, the stands Kop, respect the environment of football ...

You do not rule out return?

No, of course, want to be at Inter many years, but if you were to choose another site once, it would be Liverpool.

I also left a few lines of the interview in Marca Enrique Ortego has made in a talk by Luis Suarez and Rafa Benitez, in order to match the European Super Cup, has shown them the love they have for the fans of Liverpool and its city. Luis Suarez In this interview he speaks of the fans of Inter and Rafa speaks of Anfield with these statements:

Rafa: "I'm glad what I say, I come from Liverpool, where I found a wonderful hobby that always supports the team, not left alone, as the hymn, and that me and my family has had special treatment than ever forget. At least on the bad times, when some in and did not want me or loved me but I no longer wanted, the fans were there, always there.

"Never forget the day I left 2000 demonstration, the day of the port, because they said I would take if we lost. I know that Liverpool people like me because I have always fought for Liverpool forgetting personal issues. We will not sell the house we have there."
Old 25-08-10, 11:53 PM   #50
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

Fuck's sake, that's tugging at the heart strings, even with the shite translation

I'd take him back tomorrow.
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-10, 11:54 PM   #51
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

what.
Old 25-08-10, 11:59 PM   #52
Imy
Jalebi Cook

Quote:
Those of us who are keeping on eye on Rafa's progress might as well do it all in here.

First trophy in the bag, go on Rafa

It just doesn't look right
Old 26-08-10, 12:01 AM   #53
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Is the photo I posted in today's article flattering or has he really lost that much weight? I know he said he was trying.
Old 26-08-10, 12:05 AM   #54
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

He's wearing black
Old 26-08-10, 12:07 AM   #55
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fair point

Looking forward to seeing them play on Friday...but it'll be so strange seeing him on someone else's bench. (I initially typed 'bed' instead of bench just then )
Old 26-08-10, 12:20 AM   #56
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

Plus it's 'photoshoot' lighting and framing. Possibly even airbrushed

The one with Zanetti is after a match, so unprepared and un-manipulated, probably was stressful and humid.

Who really looks their best after a full shift at work?

Quote:
Fair point

Looking forward to seeing them play on Friday...but it'll be so strange seeing him on someone else's bench. (I initially typed 'bed' instead of bench just then )
Old 26-08-10, 09:34 AM   #57
Tee
El Pistolero

Love Rafa, he is one of us.
Old 26-08-10, 10:03 AM   #58
ronanm
Shankly

According to Roy reneged on an understanding/agreement he wouldn't disrupt Liverpool players yet is in for Macherano and perhaps Kuyt. I like Benitez, but I wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool giving his new team a good hammering.
ronanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 10:04 AM   #59
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanm View Post
According to Roy reneged on an understanding/agreement he wouldn't disrupt Liverpool players yet is in for Macherano and perhaps Kuyt. I like Benitez, but I wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool giving his new team a good hammering.
Someone should tell Roy that Rafa has nothing to do with transfers at Inter. Pissed me off that did. Roy of all people should know that, having worked under Moratti himself.

Last edited by Shaggy; 26-08-10 at 10:06 AM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 10:05 AM   #60
Reece

But Benitez has nothing to do with transfers at Inter, does he?

And apparently Hodgson had an agreement not to go back for any Fulham players. Hasn't stopped him admitting an interest in Konchesky though.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-08-10, 10:08 AM   #61
ronanm
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
And apparently Hodgson had an agreement not to go back for any Fulham players. Hasn't stopped him admitting an interest in Konchesky though.
I'd doubt that - he must have influence at least.

Think Roy negotiated an exception clause specifically for "Conker" as the Spurs supporters in my office say - laughing shortly afterwards ffs.
Old 26-08-10, 10:12 AM   #62
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

i think tbh, that in Italy as in Spain, the clubs have a transfer policy. The manager is there to coach the players and manage the team. Money and transfers is down to board room level and a director of football. Theory is that you can build a dynasty on the pitch, but with an ever changing back room team.
Old 26-08-10, 10:15 AM   #63
ronanm
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
i think tbh, that in Italy as in Spain, the clubs have a transfer policy. The manager is there to coach the players and manage the team. Money and transfers is down to board room level and a director of football. Theory is that you can build a dynasty on the pitch, but with an ever changing back room team.
A bit ironic that pre-Rafa Inter were not linked with any Liverpool players and now they are (if media "reports" are accurate) in for at least 1.
Old 26-08-10, 10:33 AM   #64
Neil Young
Prosecco Socialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanm View Post
I'd doubt that - he must have influence at least.

Think Roy negotiated an exception clause specifically for "Conker" as the Spurs supporters in my office say - laughing shortly afterwards ffs.
Maybe they were saying "Conquer," as in, he will help us conquer everybody.

OK, we all know they weren't.
Suppose you have a physicist and a sociologist standing at the side of a field, observing a set of events unfolding on the field. The physicist does [describes] it using the terminology of mass and velocity and frequency of radiation and the rest. And the sociologist does it by describing it as a rugby match.

May the Lord bless this post.
Neil Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 10:54 AM   #65
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Someone should tell Roy that Rafa has nothing to do with transfers at Inter. Pissed me off that did. Roy of all people should know that, having worked under Moratti himself.
And it was Roy himself who said he'd spoken to Massimo Moratti personally, and was told they would'nt be going after Kuyt, i think Roy needs to have another word with his mate, because it seems it's him that's renegeing on his word.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 11:21 AM   #66
Tee
El Pistolero

As Reece said though, hypocritical from Roy as he clearly said he gave Fulham his word he would not go back to sign any former players, yet he publicly stated his interest in that crock of shite Konchesky.
Old 26-08-10, 04:52 PM   #67
Chrono
Almost The Shittest Cowboy

In that picture with the shirts he looks amazingly like Tom Jones
Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 04:57 PM   #68
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

In Monaco today...

Old 26-08-10, 09:13 PM   #69
Cleo
Benitez

I don't know when this picture is taken but Rafa has probably just left the canteen...

I just hope someone has a cunning plan

Last edited by Cleo; 26-08-10 at 09:16 PM.
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 09:28 PM   #70
Molby
Fagan

Who is in Rafa's backroom team at Inter?

klopptastic !
Molby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-10, 10:00 PM   #71
Lee
Chunder camel

Quote:
The Liverpool-related stuff starts about half a dozen questions from the end...

"My house is still in Liverpool and part of my heart will be there. Do not rule out returning to Liverpool one day"

He looks older but he looks as though he's lost a lot of timber too. Whatever people think or say about Rafa, he is still Liverpool, he still embraces the club and knows what it's all about. True he was frustrating at times and had faults, but fuck, show me someone that doesn't.

I hope he does come back one day, when we have new owners, and once Roy has retired after guiding us to our third successive League title.

*wakes up*

Rafa
Old 27-08-10, 12:14 AM   #72
Rudo
Hodgsoned

Rafa looks alot trimmer.
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-10, 12:33 AM   #73
wavydavy
Dalglish

Is his "house" in Liverpool? I don't think so. He hasn't lost his touch has he?
Old 27-08-10, 10:53 AM   #74
lickedlollipop
Shankly

today, inter vs atletico! too bad i'm gonna be somewhere else
lickedlollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-10, 11:07 AM   #75
-V-
Paisley

Interestingly, tv cameras will be allowed in the dressing rooms at Serie A games this season so I wonder if we might actually get to see how Rafa gives out instructions behind closed doors
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-10, 11:12 AM   #76
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molby View Post
Who is in Rafa's backroom team at Inter?
I'm not sure of the full register, but I know it includes Giuseppe Baresi, ex-Valencia player and sporting director Amedeo Carboni and his entourage of Paco de Miguel, Maurico Pellegrino and Xavi Valero.

Then Marco Branca is the sporting director, he has been at the club for a fair bit of time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
Interestingly, tv cameras will be allowed in the dressing rooms at Serie A games this season so I wonder if we might actually get to see how Rafa gives out instructions behind closed doors
Indeed, it would be... If I could understand Italian.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-10, 01:06 PM   #77
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

How on earth can that be allowed?
Old 27-08-10, 01:09 PM   #78
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Haha WTF?
Old 27-08-10, 01:13 PM   #79
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

i wish so hard that were the case in england.
Old 27-08-10, 01:59 PM   #80
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Think Raf'a problems were too many Chippies in liverpool!
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football