It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 25-11-20, 06:56 PM   #41
McDermotX
Paisley

Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 25-11-20, 07:25 PM   #42
rodo
Shankly

Old 25-11-20, 07:29 PM   #43
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 25-11-20, 07:36 PM   #44
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

And the photo
Old 25-11-20, 07:38 PM   #45
El Diego
Dalglish

Beyond devastated. My favourite ever player. RIP Diego
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 07:39 PM   #46
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

See, normally when someone famous dies the stories are dull af. This is much more like it.
Old 25-11-20, 07:40 PM   #47
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 07:44 PM   #48
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Old 25-11-20, 07:47 PM   #49
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

42 seconds.

Old 25-11-20, 08:40 PM   #50
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is great

Old 25-11-20, 08:41 PM   #51
McDermotX
Paisley

One of the all-time great sports photos

Old 25-11-20, 08:41 PM   #52
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
When the coach has got your back

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 09:22 PM   #53
Venton
Paisley

My dutch mate has just texted me that at the Ajax game as a tribute every player did a deliberate handball and took a line of coke in the centre circle. Can anyone confirm?
Old 25-11-20, 09:31 PM   #54
ChesterDave
Paisley

I suspect that one part of the story is more likely than the other
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 09:51 PM   #55
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Proper good egg.
Old 25-11-20, 10:01 PM   #56
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 25-11-20, 11:37 PM   #57
ChesterDave
Paisley

Embarrassing for the human species how many on Twitter seem to genuinely believe Shilton sent that painfully obviously doctored tweet.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 11:54 PM   #58
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Nice article from Tim Vickery.

Quote:
Diego Maradona: How sinking England made him an Argentine deity

By Tim Vickery

Diego Maradona won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986.

In the history of football's World Cup, it is arguable that no player has ever hit the heights achieved by Argentina's Diego Maradona in 1986. Brazil's Pele, usually seen as Maradona's rival in the quest to be considered the best ever, won the competition three times surrounded by colleagues of outstanding quality. But many football fans would struggle to name many of Maradona's team-mates from 1986.

In game after game in the Mexican sunshine Maradona was an individual genius and a collective strategist. He produced the pass that won the final against West Germany and was perhaps at his best in the semi-final against Belgium, where he scored twice.

But it is the quarter-final against England that stands as the defining moment of his life. In the build up to the game much was made of the war between the two countries in the Falkland Islands just four years earlier. From the Argentine point of view the symbolism went much deeper.

Nineteenth and early 20th century Argentina had been an informal part of the British Empire. The introduction of football is a consequence of British influence. The game arrived full of World War One prestige. It moved down the social scale and was re-interpreted by the locals, transformed into a more balletic sport ideal for the player with a low centre of gravity - very true of the squat, little Maradona.

And the reinterpretation led to international triumphs and recognition for a part of the world starved of such attention. Nobody embodied this story better than Maradona. His roots mixed Italian immigrant with indigenous American. He grew up in the poor periphery of the urban sprawl of Buenos Aires and grew into an incarnation of the 'pibe' - the street kid forced to live off his wits.

He was, then, an everyman Argentine, who lived out a national fantasy with the way he scored his two goals in that 1986 quarter-final win over England. The first was the notorious 'hand of God' goal, when the referee did not spot that Maradona had flicked out a hand to deflect the ball past England goalkeeper Peter Shilton. Less than five minutes later he followed it up with one of the great solo goals, gaining possession in his own half, with the ball seemingly tied to his left foot, slaloming his way through the entire England defence before sliding home.

On BBC radio, Bryon Butler described it perfectly, picking up momentum along with the Argentina captain.

"Maradona," he began, "turns, like a little eel and comes away from trouble. Little squat man, comes inside [defender Terry] Butcher, leaves him for dead, outside [the other centre back Terry] Fenwick, leaves him for dead - and puts that ball away. And that's why Maradona is the greatest player in the world. He buried the England defence!"

Both goals were interpreted at home as acts of revenge from those who had been on the weaker end of a colonial relationship. The controversial first appeared as a message of 'they have the formal power but we are smarter'. And the glorious second was an irresistible claim that 'we are better'.

Scoring those goals, against that opponent, turned Maradona almost into a deity in the eyes of some of his compatriots - with disastrous consequences. Living the aftermath was not easy.

Roberto Perfumo, a highly intelligent former Argentine captain, once made an interesting comparison. Roman emperors had people walking behind them, whispering reminders in their ears that they were only mortals. Argentine society, said Perfumo, had tended to do the opposite with Maradona. The limits were taken off him - in Argentina and in Italy, where he was playing the best football of his club career. Maradona began with Argentinos Juniors, and had a brief but fondly remembered spell with Buenos Aires giants Boca Juniors.

Then came the move to Europe to join Barcelona. He felt more at home, though, with Napoli, where he readily identified with the population in the south of Italy and their hurt at northern discrimination. Inspired, he carried Napoli to two rare league titles at a time when the Italian championship was the best in the world. And, just as in Argentina, he was indulged. It was in Naples that he developed a cocaine addiction.

Some of this may have been the desire to blot out physical pain. Maradona's playing career coincided with a physical evolution of the game, but came before referees gave more protection to skilful players.

Week in week out he was on the end of brutal treatment from opposing defenders, and was clearly in physical decline even as he took an ordinary Argentina side to the final of the 1990 World Cup.

After that it was consistently downhill. He was suspended for testing positive for cocaine, and when he tried to make a comeback in the 1994 World Cup he was found to have taken an illegal substance to aid his weight loss and was kicked out of the competition.

Without the discipline of football, the second half of his life was a chaotic affair. His weight ballooned and he went through a number of much-publicized health scares. He became an outspoken political figure; once linked with Argentina's military dictatorship and then with right wing president Carlos Menem, he moved to the left, becoming friends with Fidel Castro and tattooing himself with the image of Che Guevara.

But it was in football that he seemed to find his peace. As a fan, he would turn up at the stadium of his beloved Boca Juniors, take off his shirt, swirl it around his head and lead the chanting.

And he chose to work as a coach, taking charge of teams in Mexico and the Middle East as well as Argentina. He coached the Argentine national team at the 2010 World Cup.

For many his spontaneity and fallibility were part of the appeal. Maradona was the opposite of the polished PR act of the post-playing career Pele.

His admirers thrived on the way he would fall down only to get back up again. It humanised a figure whose epic life was as mazy as one of his left-footed dribbles.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55074235
Old 26-11-20, 12:18 AM   #59
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I know this was posted earlier but this version has English subtitles.

"Sorry, I'm going to cry". It's electric stuff. You'd want to show this to people who don't understand the magic and the power of sport.

On another note, we've been watching this clip for 34 years and you still can't believe Peter Reid. Absolutely bone idle , slow as fuck, and why oh why hasn't he just clipped his heel. It's a World Cup quarter final and the man just could not be arsed.

Old 26-11-20, 12:41 AM   #60
Rigadon
Shankly

The best in my lifetime. Like a mixture of Messi and Suarez but much, much better.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-11-20, 08:55 AM   #61
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I know this was posted earlier but this version has English subtitles.

"Sorry, I'm going to cry". It's electric stuff. You'd want to show this to people who don't understand the magic and the power of sport.

https://twitter.com/FutbolBible/stat...38007749898240

Incredible.

I remember this game like it was yesterday. John Barnes played in it and he came on later and was very good as well. Even helped England pose a threat in the later stages.
Old 26-11-20, 08:56 AM   #62
shanks69
Dalglish

https://twitter.com/verobrunati/stat...046828546?s=09

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old 26-11-20, 10:35 AM   #63
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 26-11-20, 10:37 AM   #64
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Incredible.

I remember this game like it was yesterday. John Barnes played in it and he came on later and was very good as well. Even helped England pose a threat in the later stages.
Yeah put the cross in for Lineker didn't he, totally transformed England. Too little too late though. It was funny really cos they weren't very good bar Diego. Going entirely from memory they had Burrachaga who was half decent and that was about it.
Old 26-11-20, 10:44 AM   #65
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Yeah put the cross in for Lineker didn't he, totally transformed England. Too little too late though. It was funny really cos they weren't very good bar Diego. Going entirely from memory they had Burrachaga who was half decent and that was about it.
Passarella was a good player but yeah without Maradona they wouldn't have been anywhere near the final in 86.
Old 26-11-20, 10:48 AM   #66
spud_gun
Paisley

Napoli retired their number 10 shirt after Diego left in 1991.

When my kids were born i was keen on giving naming my son Diego as either his Christian or middle name. Wife wasn't having it at all though
Old 26-11-20, 11:37 AM   #67
dom9
Ant Pisser

Diego McTavish

* I have no idea what your surname is but I love mixing up names from different cultures.

Last edited by dom9; 26-11-20 at 11:52 AM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 11:44 AM   #68
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Valdano played for Real Madrid?
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 11:47 AM   #69
fah-q
Touching cloth

And to think he nearly signed for Sheffield United, Diego that is not Valdano
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 11:52 AM   #70
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Passarella was a good player but yeah without Maradona they wouldn't have been anywhere near the final in 86.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Valdano played for Real Madrid?
Just looked at the team, Passarella didn't play. Must've been done by then. Yeah Valdano, probably Burrachaga and Ruggeri too. The rest weren't up to much at all.
Old 26-11-20, 12:33 PM   #71
dom9
Ant Pisser

Wonderful tweet thread of global front pages today.

Old 26-11-20, 12:53 PM   #72
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Just saw this. Amazing, great (moving) to hear such genuine reverence amongst fellow pro's. It is in an insight into what a special player Maradona was.

Quote:
Old 26-11-20, 12:53 PM   #73
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Just looked at the team, Passarella didn't play. Must've been done by then. Yeah Valdano, probably Burrachaga and Ruggeri too. The rest weren't up to much at all.
Yeah, you're right. He was ill during the 86 world cup
Old 26-11-20, 07:03 PM   #74
Irishnev
Paisley

Good read

Old 26-11-20, 10:37 PM   #75
peekay
Dr.

Quote:
Maradona on Shilton

Quite sure it is fake, but funny nonetheless.
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 02:52 AM   #76
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Diego McTavish

* I have no idea what your surname is but I love mixing up names from different cultures.

Anton Chigurh
Old 27-11-20, 06:43 PM   #77
Fredo

Great documentary on Netflix, Maradona in Mexico.
Old 27-11-20, 09:01 PM   #78
Fredo

About 4.20 in. This is incredible. Never seen such adulation for a footballer.

Old 28-11-20, 10:35 AM   #79
Fredo

Old 28-11-20, 12:20 PM   #80
Irishnev
Paisley

est1892 > Football > General Football