It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 30-12-18, 10:46 PM   #7001
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Is he any good though?
Yep
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 10:50 PM   #7002
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 30,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Yep
But will he be settled in by February?
__________________
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
foresterbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 11:39 PM   #7003
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
But will he be settled in by February?
He is one of the best LBs in the world (as is Robbo ) but Bayern already have Alaba there. His future is as LCB as Hummels and Boateng are showing their age. They are also supposed to be signing Pavard in the summer so he’ll play RCB.

Will he settle...,no idea but he is a class player and will make them harder to beat.
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 02:45 PM   #7004
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 125,491


__________________
I was playing doctors and nurses with my female cousin. I was about 6 or 7, and we were inserting little toy stuffs in our bum holes. Does it count as snogging?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 06:10 PM   #7005
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,905
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 12:01 PM   #7006
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves
 
danperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 34,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Is he any good though?
He's quality
__________________
When in doubt, mumble.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 09:25 PM   #7007
Liverpool
Paisley
 
Liverpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,725
marginally off there surely and VAR still gave it
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 10:09 PM   #7008
S-RED
Dalglish
 
S-RED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,740
Awful camera angle to judge from, is that the only angle VAR had ??
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 10:59 PM   #7009
McDermotX
Paisley
 
McDermotX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 28,352
Only saw a quick replay once on a pub TV so not the best judge, but was Kane's head not well past the line so to speak ?

What I did see is Kane, yet again, playing for penos. Done it all summer so why stop I suppose ?
__________________
“He did well at first, but then he went down like a big whinge-bag.”
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 11:23 PM   #7010
S-RED
Dalglish
 
S-RED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,740
Yeah, head & leading shoulder were ahead of the last defender's ankle; but the camera angle was at 45 degrees to the incident, so no chance they could give offside. Lino had his flag up early though, so he was sure & inline.........
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 11:26 PM   #7011
ChesterDave
Paisley
 
ChesterDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21,492
Isn't the guide for VAR that it has to be clear and obvious? I've not seen the incident but if it is unclear original decision stands, doesn't it?
__________________
If it's a girl they're calling her Sigorney after an actress and if it's a boy they're naming him Rodney after Dave.
ChesterDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 11:27 PM   #7012
McDermotX
Paisley
 
McDermotX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 28,352
Looked more than a bit dodgy, but I only saw it in passing.
I suppose there was a massive delay, players moaning and everything at the time ? Bit of a waste if it still came out with a flawed verdict.
__________________
“He did well at first, but then he went down like a big whinge-bag.”
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 11:59 PM   #7013
Liverpool
Paisley
 
Liverpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,725
drawing the line from the feet doesn't work given upper body can be offside, the lino gave the offside, not enough to overrule him imo
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 12:44 AM   #7014
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 30,520
Not sure why the head should be offside, it still needs to be carried by the feet to get to the goal!
__________________
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
foresterbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 12:56 AM   #7015
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Not sure why the head should be offside, it still needs to be carried by the feet to get to the goal!
Any part of the body you can play the ball with innit. Includes the chest and head.
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 12:58 AM   #7016
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 30,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Any part of the body you can play the ball with innit. Includes the chest and head.
That's what the law says yes.
__________________
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
foresterbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 08:46 AM   #7017
S-RED
Dalglish
 
S-RED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,740
Lino was spot on with his decision, why did VAR not have access to this angle ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...arabao-cup-win

https://e0.365dm.com/19/01/768x432/s...20190108225549
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 09:32 AM   #7018
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 46,403
The current implementation is not compatible with the principle of using VAR only for obvious errors. Not impressed with it yet.
__________________
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 01:50 PM   #7019
Maxiedge
Shankly
 
Maxiedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
Lino was spot on with his decision, why did VAR not have access to this angle ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...arabao-cup-win

https://e0.365dm.com/19/01/768x432/s...20190108225549
These extra fine margin offside calls can go either way and teams need to accept that. From the images you've shown it looks like the player has already passed the ball so Kane will look more offside than he was at the moment of exact contact.

The issue here is that the passer has way too much time and space to play that ball. Look at Trippier bottom of screen too.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 02:04 PM   #7020
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 46,403
i think it was off, even on the broadcast images. The amount of time between contact with ball and the captured image above would be milliseconds and make very little different to Kane's position.

But the issue for me is that essentially, what happened was that VAR was used to overturn a correct offside decision, not an "obvious error". No VAR and the ref stops play as soon as the assistant waves it offside, but because of VAR the ref is instructed to allow play to continue to conclusion. When the VAR look at it they should be asked whether the offside decision was a clear and obvious error, which is certainly wasn't, as you say, super fine margins however you view the pics/video, and the defending team should have a FK. But there is no way of going back to that decision because the ref didn't make the decision, because they're not allowed to. So the VAR ref is making a simple assessment, was it offside or not, which is not his job. Was there an obvious error by the officials is his job, and the only error was the ref not blowing for offside, and VAR caused that.
__________________
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Last edited by Kenneth; 09-01-19 at 02:06 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 02:29 PM   #7021
Maxiedge
Shankly
 
Maxiedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
i think it was off, even on the broadcast images. The amount of time between contact with ball and the captured image above would be milliseconds and make very little different to Kane's position.

But the issue for me is that essentially, what happened was that VAR was used to overturn a correct offside decision, not an "obvious error". No VAR and the ref stops play as soon as the assistant waves it offside, but because of VAR the ref is instructed to allow play to continue to conclusion. When the VAR look at it they should be asked whether the offside decision was a clear and obvious error, which is certainly wasn't, as you say, super fine margins however you view the pics/video, and the defending team should have a FK. But there is no way of going back to that decision because the ref didn't make the decision, because they're not allowed to. So the VAR ref is making a simple assessment, was it offside or not, which is not his job. Was there an obvious error by the officials is his job, and the only error was the ref not blowing for offside, and VAR caused that.

Did he flag for offside instantly or was it only after the incident? If he flagged for offside instantly, then yeah, that's bang out of order and they should have given the decision Chelsea's way. If you see a flag up in the air by the linesman then everyone stops. That's the way it's always been.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 03:29 PM   #7022
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 46,403
I couldn't see the linesman in the shot on replays. Sari reckoned it was flagged at the time, but can't be 100%. Obviously, if not then most of my post above is BS.
__________________
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 07:38 PM   #7023
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 37,484
When the officials are using VAR does the system generate the line across the screen like sky do? Because that effectively makes the referee's mind up for him but how accurately is that determined?

Also whatever system is used there has to be an error associated with it I have no idea if it is significant. I said previously about this that the system for me works better if there is a "assistant's call" decision like cricket has for LBW. If the call has to be reviewed it is on the principle that you look at the frames and if decision is clearly wrong it can be changed. If it is like this where they look level but we are debating whether the striker's big toe or forehead are perhaps slightly beyond the defender or not, you still with the official's call. Because otherwise it's crazy
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 09:06 PM   #7024
Liverpool
Paisley
 
Liverpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,725
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 11:50 PM   #7025
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy
 
Red_Polo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
Lino was spot on with his decision, why did VAR not have access to this angle ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...arabao-cup-win

https://e0.365dm.com/19/01/768x432/s...20190108225549
Very tight call, quite possibly off, but the line on this picture is toilet because it's ground level and we're trying to assess head position.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 09:07 PM   #7026
labourRed
Shankly
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,108
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ch-join-summer

Pavard to Bayern for 30m. He's a cracking player and would have fit us like a glove.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 09:13 PM   #7027
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace
 
Slinky Skills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,616
Eden Pavard
__________________
Klopp on LFC vs MUFC (March 9th 2016) - "This is why I love football. This is why we watched it when we were young. I can still not have enough of it."


Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 11:15 AM   #7028
rodo
Shankly
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,456
Rio Ferdinand going down a storm with newcastle fans
__________________
Oh I say his vision there was lovely
rodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 11:45 AM   #7029
Fuzzy
Fagan
 
Fuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
Rio Ferdinand going down a storm with newcastle fans
Luckily there's Richard "Richard Keys" Keys to the rescue.

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 12:47 AM   #7030
Fivex
The Wisp
 
Fivex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,122




__________________
.
Coinbase (buy with card) | Binance (large caps) | Cryptopia (small caps) | Bitmex (leverage) | Coinigy (charts & portfolio tracking)

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 02:30 PM   #7031
The_weatherman
Smug
 
The_weatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,976
Keys has totally lost it, just bonkers.
__________________
* The above is posted in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
The_weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 03:52 PM   #7032
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61,851
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 06:11 PM   #7033
McDermotX
Paisley
 
McDermotX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 28,352
From F365

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand
There is nothing wrong with being wrong. Live television is hard, and pundits will make mistakes. Too often we (and I’m guilty of it) lambast them for a memorable gaff from the comfort of our own sofas. Errors happen when you’re under pressure to provide insight.

But there is a difference between getting it wrong and remaining wilfully blind to the truth even after being told. It gives the impression that you have a vested interest in your opinion, and that it might not be a perfect reflection of your true thoughts.

On Sunday morning, Rio Ferdinand tweeted a sarcastic ‘good morning’ message to Newcastle united supporters. ‘Ya clubs turning a profit, no debt, oh & playing in the PL!’ he said. ‘Terrible!’.

Let’s take that step by step. Firstly, Newcastle United are not debt-free. Their latest accounts indicated that they are in debt to the tune of £144m. That debt is owed to Mike Ashley.

Ferdinand’s claim on Saturday afternoon that Ashley put his own money into the club is also wrong. In actual fact Newcastle spent £63m on new players in that season, but raised far more than that in player sales. They used money that the club generated.

This is important because of what happened this summer, when Ashley publicly promised that Rafael Benitez would have “every penny” the club generated to spend on his team. In actual fact, Ashley took £10m out of the club and Newcastle made a profit on transfers thanks to the sales of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Mikel Merino and Chancel Mbemba.

It is those broken promises – time and time and time again – that anger Newcastle United supporters the most, because it proves both that Ashley is a liar with no interest in allowing the club to achieve anything near its full potential and that Benitez is being treated appallingly by his boss.

Finally, Ferdinand labelled Newcastle as a yo-yo club. That’s partly true. They have been relegated twice since 2009, the same as Norwich City. But then they have also only been relegated twice in the Premier League’s history, the same as Manchester City. Those relegations coincide with Ashley’s ownership and the toxic atmosphere he has since created. If Newcastle are indeed a yo-yo club as Ferdinand suggests, it is because of the owner’s wanton neglect.

For Ferdinand to suggest that Newcastle United supporters should be thankful to Ashley and cheer rather than castigate him demonstrates either that he has allowed his opinions to be shaped by his business interests (Sports Direct are the exclusive retail outlet of Ferdinand’s clothing brand) or that he is entirely out of touch with football supporters. Neither is a good look.
__________________
“He did well at first, but then he went down like a big whinge-bag.”
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 07:03 PM   #7034
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,166
It a going to be the former innit
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 07:28 PM   #7035
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,197
I wonder if he was actually asked to comment? Wouldn't surprise me.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 08:49 PM   #7036
McDermotX
Paisley
 
McDermotX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 28,352
Saw him comment around all this on BT on the Sat before the Chelsea game (must have been when all this blew up), and to be fair, the presenter framed it beforehand by mentioning Rio's business involvement.
Think he mentioned something about him only meeting Ashley twice, before launching into his fuck you message to the Newcastle fans, and how they should be grateful to have what they have and Rafa as manager.

Must say, I wasn't at all surprised to see all this after.
__________________
“He did well at first, but then he went down like a big whinge-bag.”
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 09:06 PM   #7037
S-RED
Dalglish
 
S-RED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,740
Another full house at the emptyhad (Not); shocking really considering the football they play & players they have. Tickets should be as rare as rocking horse shit.......
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 09:11 PM   #7038
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace
 
Slinky Skills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,616
Nice goal from City.
__________________
Klopp on LFC vs MUFC (March 9th 2016) - "This is why I love football. This is why we watched it when we were young. I can still not have enough of it."


Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 09:13 PM   #7039
rodo
Shankly
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
Another full house at the emptyhad (Not); shocking really considering the football they play & players they have. Tickets should be as rare as rocking horse shit.......
__________________
Oh I say his vision there was lovely
rodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 09:14 PM   #7040
Venton
Shankly
 
Venton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,116
Fernandinho with another shit challenge. Unbelievable how he stays on the pitch most of the time.
__________________
a poorly disguised attempt to excuse shitting on the street
Venton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > Football > General Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.