It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 30-12-18, 10:46 PM   #7001
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Is he any good though?
Yep
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 10:50 PM   #7002
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Yep
But will he be settled in by February?
Old 30-12-18, 11:39 PM   #7003
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
But will he be settled in by February?
He is one of the best LBs in the world (as is Robbo ) but Bayern already have Alaba there. His future is as LCB as Hummels and Boateng are showing their age. They are also supposed to be signing Pavard in the summer so he’ll play RCB.

Will he settle...,no idea but he is a class player and will make them harder to beat.
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 02:45 PM   #7004
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 07-01-19, 06:10 PM   #7005
spud_gun
Paisley

spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 12:01 PM   #7006
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Is he any good though?
He's quality
Old 08-01-19, 09:25 PM   #7007
Liverpool
Paisley

marginally off there surely and VAR still gave it
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 10:09 PM   #7008
S-RED
Dalglish

Awful camera angle to judge from, is that the only angle VAR had ??
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 10:59 PM   #7009
McDermotX
Paisley

Only saw a quick replay once on a pub TV so not the best judge, but was Kane's head not well past the line so to speak ?

What I did see is Kane, yet again, playing for penos. Done it all summer so why stop I suppose ?
Old 08-01-19, 11:23 PM   #7010
S-RED
Dalglish

Yeah, head & leading shoulder were ahead of the last defender's ankle; but the camera angle was at 45 degrees to the incident, so no chance they could give offside. Lino had his flag up early though, so he was sure & inline.........
Old 08-01-19, 11:26 PM   #7011
ChesterDave
Paisley

Isn't the guide for VAR that it has to be clear and obvious? I've not seen the incident but if it is unclear original decision stands, doesn't it?
Old 08-01-19, 11:27 PM   #7012
McDermotX
Paisley

Looked more than a bit dodgy, but I only saw it in passing.
I suppose there was a massive delay, players moaning and everything at the time ? Bit of a waste if it still came out with a flawed verdict.
Old 08-01-19, 11:59 PM   #7013
Liverpool
Paisley

drawing the line from the feet doesn't work given upper body can be offside, the lino gave the offside, not enough to overrule him imo
Old 09-01-19, 12:44 AM   #7014
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Not sure why the head should be offside, it still needs to be carried by the feet to get to the goal!
Old 09-01-19, 12:56 AM   #7015
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Not sure why the head should be offside, it still needs to be carried by the feet to get to the goal!
Any part of the body you can play the ball with innit. Includes the chest and head.
Old 09-01-19, 12:58 AM   #7016
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Any part of the body you can play the ball with innit. Includes the chest and head.
That's what the law says yes.
Old 09-01-19, 08:46 AM   #7017
S-RED
Dalglish

Lino was spot on with his decision, why did VAR not have access to this angle ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...arabao-cup-win

https://e0.365dm.com/19/01/768x432/s...20190108225549
Old 09-01-19, 09:32 AM   #7018
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

The current implementation is not compatible with the principle of using VAR only for obvious errors. Not impressed with it yet.
Old 09-01-19, 01:50 PM   #7019
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post

These extra fine margin offside calls can go either way and teams need to accept that. From the images you've shown it looks like the player has already passed the ball so Kane will look more offside than he was at the moment of exact contact.

The issue here is that the passer has way too much time and space to play that ball. Look at Trippier bottom of screen too.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 02:04 PM   #7020
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

i think it was off, even on the broadcast images. The amount of time between contact with ball and the captured image above would be milliseconds and make very little different to Kane's position.

But the issue for me is that essentially, what happened was that VAR was used to overturn a correct offside decision, not an "obvious error". No VAR and the ref stops play as soon as the assistant waves it offside, but because of VAR the ref is instructed to allow play to continue to conclusion. When the VAR look at it they should be asked whether the offside decision was a clear and obvious error, which is certainly wasn't, as you say, super fine margins however you view the pics/video, and the defending team should have a FK. But there is no way of going back to that decision because the ref didn't make the decision, because they're not allowed to. So the VAR ref is making a simple assessment, was it offside or not, which is not his job. Was there an obvious error by the officials is his job, and the only error was the ref not blowing for offside, and VAR caused that.

Last edited by Kenneth; 09-01-19 at 02:06 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 02:29 PM   #7021
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
i think it was off, even on the broadcast images. The amount of time between contact with ball and the captured image above would be milliseconds and make very little different to Kane's position.

But the issue for me is that essentially, what happened was that VAR was used to overturn a correct offside decision, not an "obvious error". No VAR and the ref stops play as soon as the assistant waves it offside, but because of VAR the ref is instructed to allow play to continue to conclusion. When the VAR look at it they should be asked whether the offside decision was a clear and obvious error, which is certainly wasn't, as you say, super fine margins however you view the pics/video, and the defending team should have a FK. But there is no way of going back to that decision because the ref didn't make the decision, because they're not allowed to. So the VAR ref is making a simple assessment, was it offside or not, which is not his job. Was there an obvious error by the officials is his job, and the only error was the ref not blowing for offside, and VAR caused that.

Did he flag for offside instantly or was it only after the incident? If he flagged for offside instantly, then yeah, that's bang out of order and they should have given the decision Chelsea's way. If you see a flag up in the air by the linesman then everyone stops. That's the way it's always been.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 03:29 PM   #7022
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I couldn't see the linesman in the shot on replays. Sari reckoned it was flagged at the time, but can't be 100%. Obviously, if not then most of my post above is BS.
Old 09-01-19, 07:38 PM   #7023
Exiled_red
Paisley

When the officials are using VAR does the system generate the line across the screen like sky do? Because that effectively makes the referee's mind up for him but how accurately is that determined?

Also whatever system is used there has to be an error associated with it I have no idea if it is significant. I said previously about this that the system for me works better if there is a "assistant's call" decision like cricket has for LBW. If the call has to be reviewed it is on the principle that you look at the frames and if decision is clearly wrong it can be changed. If it is like this where they look level but we are debating whether the striker's big toe or forehead are perhaps slightly beyond the defender or not, you still with the official's call. Because otherwise it's crazy
Old 09-01-19, 09:06 PM   #7024
Liverpool
Paisley

Old 09-01-19, 11:50 PM   #7025
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:

Very tight call, quite possibly off, but the line on this picture is toilet because it's ground level and we're trying to assess head position.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 09:07 PM   #7026
labourRed
Shankly

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ch-join-summer

Pavard to Bayern for 30m. He's a cracking player and would have fit us like a glove.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 09:13 PM   #7027
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Eden Pavard

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 11:15 AM   #7028
rodo
Shankly

Rio Ferdinand going down a storm with newcastle fans
Old 13-01-19, 11:45 AM   #7029
Fuzzy
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
Rio Ferdinand going down a storm with newcastle fans
Luckily there's Richard "Richard Keys" Keys to the rescue.

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 12:47 AM   #7030
Fivex
The Wisp

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 02:30 PM   #7031
The_weatherman
Smug

Keys has totally lost it, just bonkers.
Old 14-01-19, 03:52 PM   #7032
dom9
Ant Pisser

Old 14-01-19, 06:11 PM   #7033
McDermotX
Paisley

From F365

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand
There is nothing wrong with being wrong. Live television is hard, and pundits will make mistakes. Too often we (and I’m guilty of it) lambast them for a memorable gaff from the comfort of our own sofas. Errors happen when you’re under pressure to provide insight.

But there is a difference between getting it wrong and remaining wilfully blind to the truth even after being told. It gives the impression that you have a vested interest in your opinion, and that it might not be a perfect reflection of your true thoughts.

On Sunday morning, Rio Ferdinand tweeted a sarcastic ‘good morning’ message to Newcastle united supporters. ‘Ya clubs turning a profit, no debt, oh & playing in the PL!’ he said. ‘Terrible!’.

Let’s take that step by step. Firstly, Newcastle United are not debt-free. Their latest accounts indicated that they are in debt to the tune of £144m. That debt is owed to Mike Ashley.

Ferdinand’s claim on Saturday afternoon that Ashley put his own money into the club is also wrong. In actual fact Newcastle spent £63m on new players in that season, but raised far more than that in player sales. They used money that the club generated.

This is important because of what happened this summer, when Ashley publicly promised that Rafael Benitez would have “every penny” the club generated to spend on his team. In actual fact, Ashley took £10m out of the club and Newcastle made a profit on transfers thanks to the sales of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Mikel Merino and Chancel Mbemba.

It is those broken promises – time and time and time again – that anger Newcastle United supporters the most, because it proves both that Ashley is a liar with no interest in allowing the club to achieve anything near its full potential and that Benitez is being treated appallingly by his boss.

Finally, Ferdinand labelled Newcastle as a yo-yo club. That’s partly true. They have been relegated twice since 2009, the same as Norwich City. But then they have also only been relegated twice in the Premier League’s history, the same as Manchester City. Those relegations coincide with Ashley’s ownership and the toxic atmosphere he has since created. If Newcastle are indeed a yo-yo club as Ferdinand suggests, it is because of the owner’s wanton neglect.

For Ferdinand to suggest that Newcastle United supporters should be thankful to Ashley and cheer rather than castigate him demonstrates either that he has allowed his opinions to be shaped by his business interests (Sports Direct are the exclusive retail outlet of Ferdinand’s clothing brand) or that he is entirely out of touch with football supporters. Neither is a good look.
Old 14-01-19, 07:03 PM   #7034
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

It a going to be the former innit
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 07:28 PM   #7035
Cormack74
Shankly

I wonder if he was actually asked to comment? Wouldn't surprise me.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 08:49 PM   #7036
McDermotX
Paisley

Saw him comment around all this on BT on the Sat before the Chelsea game (must have been when all this blew up), and to be fair, the presenter framed it beforehand by mentioning Rio's business involvement.
Think he mentioned something about him only meeting Ashley twice, before launching into his fuck you message to the Newcastle fans, and how they should be grateful to have what they have and Rafa as manager.

Must say, I wasn't at all surprised to see all this after.
Old 14-01-19, 09:06 PM   #7037
S-RED
Dalglish

Another full house at the emptyhad (Not); shocking really considering the football they play & players they have. Tickets should be as rare as rocking horse shit.......
Old 14-01-19, 09:11 PM   #7038
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Nice goal from City.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 09:13 PM   #7039
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Another full house at the emptyhad (Not); shocking really considering the football they play & players they have. Tickets should be as rare as rocking horse shit.......
Old 14-01-19, 09:14 PM   #7040
Venton
Shankly

Fernandinho with another shit challenge. Unbelievable how he stays on the pitch most of the time.

est1892 > Football > General Football