It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 27-02-13, 10:32 PM   #401
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Amir Khan to fight Julio Diaz in Sheffield on 27 April

Amir Khan's next fight will be against former world champion Julio Diaz in Sheffield on 27 April - his first contest in Britain for two years.

Khan's last home bout was a six-round win over Paul McCloskey in 2011.

He most recently fought in December when, in his first outing since defeats by Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia, he stopped Carlos Molina in Los Angeles.

Olympic bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo will make his pro debut on the same bill, as will Khan's brother Haroon.

Mexican Diaz, 33, is a former two-time lightweight world champion who has 40 wins from 48 fights, with 29 knockouts.

But he last held a world title in 2007 and has lost four and drawn one of his last 11 encounters.

Northern Ireland's McCloskey told BBC Radio 5 live that failure to beat Diaz could spell the end for Khan's boxing career.

He said: "If he got knocked out by Julio Diaz, that would be a career-finishing knockout. Diaz was a good boxer years ago but he's not the fighter he was.

"If he [Khan] got knocked out by him a lot of people would be saying it's time to hang up the gloves - but I would be very, very surprised if that happened. Amir should have enough to beat him."

McCloskey is still angry that his fight against Khan was ended by a cut above his eye following a clash of heads and said he would relish a rematch.

"Contact has been made but we haven't heard back," he said.

"I was happy with the way things were going [in the fight]. If the cut hadn't have happened, who knows what would've happened?"

Khan, a former light-welterweight world champion, struggled to sell tickets for his last fight against Molina but the Bolton fighter will hope to fill the 12,000-capacity Motorpoint Arena.

The 26-year-old's promoters, Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy, are looking to make inroads into the British market, hence the signing of 24-year-old middleweight Ogogo.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/21600175
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 09:34 PM   #402
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Amir Khan's trainer Virgil Hunter has confirmed that the Bolton man's next fight will not be against Adrien 'The Problem' Broner.

Khan was linked with a fight against Broner after seeing a fight against Floyd Mayweather fall through.

Mayweather has opted to fight Marcos Maidana - the only man who has beaten Broner in 28 fights - leading to speculation that the Cincinnati man

could be on Khan's radar.

But Hunter says his charge has something else lined up, insisting UK fight fans will be pleased with what the 27-year-old has in store.

"I can tell you this it won't be Adrien Broner, I can say that it will not be Adrien Broner," Hunter told Sky Sports. "People talk a lot in this business but I can assure you it won't be Adrien Broner.

"I'm not at liberty to (say more). This is a business and out of courtesy to my whole team, I don't think it would be right.

"But I think you'll be happy in the next few days when you get clarity on the whole situation. I'm not at liberty to speak about it but I think in the next few days it will become apparent why it is a blessing in disguise.

"I'll be in England next week to continue his training. He will be fighting within a period of 8-10 weeks so we're happy about that.

Hunter expressed his disappointment that a fight against Mayweather never materialised but is certain that the fight will take place in the future.

Speaking to Ringside about the history of Irish boxing, Steve Collins recalls his fights against Chris Eubank.
"It was a disappointment of course because you'd like to have people stay true to their word and unfortunately in this particular incident they weren't true to their word," Hunter said.

"But because Amir has handled it quite well I think it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise so we move forward.

"But it's definitely going to happen. I am very confident through the circle of people that I speak to. The people who are speaking on that matter are very true to their word so yes that fight will happen."
SKY
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:39 PM   #403
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Welcome to LFC
Old 05-11-14, 11:52 AM   #404
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

@guardian_sport: De La Hoya tells Khan: Mayweather or Pacquiao dream fight awaits http://t.co/KgMcONevqr (Photo: Getty) http://t.co/H3z02CKgVA
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports