It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 16-08-06, 09:55 PM   #1
6sheep
Evans

Andy Murray

C+P`d from the beeb

Quote:
Andy Murray pulled off the biggest win of his career, beating Roger Federer 7-5 6-4 in the Cincinnati Masters.

The teenager became only the second player to beat Federer this year, and it was the first time the Swiss had lost before the final for 18 events.

Federer was far from his fluent best, but an inspired Murray took full advantage, breaking serve seven times.

The Scot has struggled to serve out in recent matches, but had no such trouble as he completed his straight sets win.

One of the big strengths of Murray's game is his refusal to bow to anyone on a tennis court, no matter how big his reputation.

I played a pretty perfect match but for a few games at the end of the first set

Andy Murray

And he was the aggressor from the start against Federer, who had only been beaten by world number two Rafael Nadal in 2006.

After squandering a glorious opportunity at break point in the opening game, Murray made amends on Federer's next service, pressuring the Swiss to miss with an attempted pass.

It set the pattern for an intriguing match as Federer struggled increasingly with his form under fire from fierce Murray ground strokes down both flanks.

The 19-year-old's backhand was particularly effective and was responsible for securing him a second break after Federer had briefly broken back.

Murray wobbled when serving for the set at 5-4 and his first serve percentage hovered at a lowly 40% all game.

But he immediately created another chance to serve out and duly did so with a booming ace at set point.

Andy Murray (left) and Roger Federer
Federer was magnanimous in defeat

Amazingly, the second set followed the pattern of the first, Murray applying pressure on almost every Federer service game and breaking at the first time of asking.

Locked at 4-4, the Briton hit another purple patch, painting the lines to breach Federer's serve for a seventh time.

And he sealed the biggest result of his fledgling career in fitting fashion with a fizzing backhand pass before sinking drained into his chair, towel over face.

"Obviously this was pretty special - I wasn't expecting it to happen today," said Murray afterwards.

"I don't think Roger played his best match, but he has such a reputation that other players think they have to hit the lines.

"I played a pretty perfect match but for a few games at the end of the first set."

Federer, who has been flawless on the American hardcourts for years, saw a run of 55-straight wins broken.

And he also missed out on equalling Ivan Lendl's record of reaching 18 consecutive finals.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 16-08-06, 10:06 PM   #2
G_Man
Dalglish

Well done to the lad but he hasn't won the tournament yet. Even Henmann has beaten Federer.
I rate Murray better than Henman but I don't think he's destined for greatness, he'll be another decent player who'll be tipped for Wimbledon every year and fail to win it

Goals 2006/7 (CS, PL, CL)
1: Agger, Bellamy, Fowler, Alonso, Garcia
2: Gonzalez, Kuyt, Riise
5: Crouch
G_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 10:11 PM   #3
ronan
Dalglish

have to say there is nothing funnier than watching henmania disintegrate every year at wimbledon and i dont even have the slightest interest in tennis
Old 16-08-06, 10:20 PM   #4
Bob
Paul Burrell

To be fair to Murray he'd prefer to win the US open. He's not too fond of the English you see - referring not just to quotes over this summer! I think the reality is he prefers the hard courts.

Some may have seen him on Soccer A.M
Old 16-08-06, 10:25 PM   #5
G_Man
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
To be fair to Murray he'd prefer to win the US open. He's not too fond of the English you see - referring not just to quotes over this summer! I think the reality is he prefers the hard courts.

Was that when he wore a Paraguay shirt? What a tool

Old 16-08-06, 10:28 PM   #6
TheStig
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Man
Well done to the lad but he hasn't won the tournament yet. Even Henmann has beaten Federer.
I rate Murray better than Henman but I don't think he's destined for greatness, he'll be another decent player who'll be tipped for Wimbledon every year and fail to win it
I'm sure he's won a tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_...Titles_.281.29
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 10:33 PM   #7
G_Man
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig

Yeah, so did Henman, he hasn't won THIS tournament which is what I referred to.

Seriously, he's not good enough to ever win a major tournament. Plus he's a fucking tool

Old 16-08-06, 10:38 PM   #8
Bob
Paul Burrell

Quote:
Yeah, so did Henman, he hasn't won THIS tournament which is what I referred to.

Seriously, he's not good enough to ever win a major tournament. Plus he's a fucking tool
Old 16-08-06, 10:40 PM   #9
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Unbelievable win though that. Federer is virtually invincible and that is some win. Thought he'd get battered.
Old 16-08-06, 10:51 PM   #10
Kaip
Something different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob

Old 16-08-06, 11:15 PM   #11
G_Man
Dalglish

Deleted by G_Man

Last edited by G_Man; 16-08-06 at 11:32 PM.
Old 16-08-06, 11:32 PM   #12
Morse
Dalglish

Quote:
Another "proud scotsman" like Sean connery and Billy Conelley who left as soon as they could afford it and only go back on holiday

Plastic jocks

Top tennis player though.

Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 11:33 PM   #13
G_Man
Dalglish

Could you edit that please Stu, I deleted my post because it was a tad OTT.

Ta

Old 16-08-06, 11:36 PM   #14
Bob
Paul Burrell

There's sweet FA wrong with that comment
Old 16-08-06, 11:39 PM   #15
G_Man
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
There's sweet FA wrong with that comment
I thought it was a bit OTT. It sometimes bothers me when Billy C goes round waving the flag and hating the English when he's probably only spent about a third of his life in Scotland. Murray isn't like that but I couldn't believe how stupid the Paraguay stunt was. I mean, way to alienate a lot of potential supporters and sponsors.

Old 17-08-06, 11:03 PM   #16
The Glove
The 5th Beatle

Murray is a ****. The words 'spolit' and 'brat' come to mind.
The Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 01:41 AM   #17
Bob
Paul Burrell

I have no real opinon on the lad - he's hardly likeable though is he.
Old 18-08-06, 01:46 PM   #18
hockin_monster
Evans

Quote:
Have to disagree with you G_Man. Murray is better than Henman, and I agree with you in that respect, but he's only 19 yrs old. Henman was nowhere near this good at that age. OK so he caught Federer on a bad day. Federer hasn't lost in straight sets for 2 1/2 years. Did you see the game?, Murray played out of his skin. He played worse last night and still beat the highest ranked American still left in the tournament in Robbie Ginepri (or whatever his name is)

I don't believe he'll ever be a Federer or Nadal, but I expect him to collect a good few ATP tour titles if he remains fit and may pick up a Grand Slam along the way.

Also, I agree with other comments here - he can be a moody tool - but then again so what. He's also got a bit of passion and that's what he needs to succeed. Good luck to him. The Paraguay shirt though. Idiot.
hockin_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-06, 02:47 AM   #19
bazza76
Paisley

Just watched Murry get beaten by roddick who was on fire.
Have to say, Murray is a breath of freshair for Brittish Tennis not that i give a shite really lol. I do like the way he plays with his heart though, he was constantly shouting to himself and is a great personality on the court.
Think he needs to work on his stamina and strength though, but he certainly has all the shots.
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-06, 08:22 AM   #20
6sheep
Evans

14 matches in 17 days finally took its toll last night
After some recuperation he`ll be back for the US Open
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird

est1892 > General > General Sports