It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 07-02-16, 11:17 AM   #2001
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Manchester City

Silva is still very good. Ieanacho looks a real talent too.
Old 07-02-16, 11:39 AM   #2002
RichC
Meh

It's not that big a rebuild a few players yes but it's not as if he's coming into a side in disarray. A few good purchases in the Summer will improve them massively.

The front 4 is decent - Aguero, Silva, Sterling & De Bruyne. Midfield a change of shape or/and a replacement for Yaya who's surely gone. Defence needs some work but even that is vastly improved with a fit Kompany.

He's also going to get a lot of cash to do his thing.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 11:49 AM   #2003
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah if they empty Yaya, and bring in Pogba and sort the back 4 out and they'll be back in business.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 12:14 PM   #2004
G
Paisley

Might be easier said then done, there does seem to be a real lack of quality at centre back these days. Striker too. As Wenger said about strikers, all the elite ones are in contract at the best clubs.

They've spent obscene money on centre backs and are still reliant on crocked Kompany. It's like us with Sturridge.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 03:01 PM   #2005
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by el matador View Post
Guardiola is an absolute legend but he faces a huge rebuilding job at man city. That squad is one that has reached the end of a cycle.

He was very fortunate at Bayern where he inherited two excellent fullbacks, a young neuer, two brilliant wingers - genuine world class players. He rebuilt the spine - centre backs, midfield and added Lewandowski.

He hasn't got any of that at city bar a worldie striker and a decent keeper. The fullbacks at city aren't at the level of alaba and lahm, their wide players are nowhere near ribery and robben. Their centre backs are awful, and their midfield just doesn't work.

He has a massive job there because they have bought some really shit players for big money recently. Bar aguero, hart, de bruyne and maybe sterling they haven't got any proper talent in that team. He has to rebuild the defence, midfield and perhaps some of the attack.

Its a huge task.
Two things on this:

1) Money will be no object for City and they may even break the world transfer record.

2) This will be the first real test of Pep - they can't buy a full team straight away so let's see how gets on working with players that are not the worlds best.
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 03:11 PM   #2006
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

This mob must rival or beat us for ineptitude in the transfer market! Only difference is they've managed to keep Aguero and Silva and we lost Suarez and co. They must have spent half a bill or close to in the last 4 years and yet they are still completely reliant on players signed in 2011 or earlier.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 03:30 PM   #2007
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

If he can get a CB that isn't a liability and replace Yaya I don't think he'll have much to do to be honest. Probably get better cover for Aguero and he'll be set.
Old 07-02-16, 07:29 PM   #2008
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Two things on this:

1) Money will be no object for City and they may even break the world transfer record.

2) This will be the first real test of Pep - they can't buy a full team straight away so let's see how gets on working with players that are not the worlds best.
Old 08-02-16, 12:28 AM   #2009
peekay
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This mob must rival or beat us for ineptitude in the transfer market! Only difference is they've managed to keep Aguero and Silva and we lost Suarez and co. They must have spent half a bill or close to in the last 4 years and yet they are still completely reliant on players signed in 2011 or earlier.
Isnt half of our transfer committee previous City scouts.
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-16, 10:46 AM   #2010
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
It's not that big a rebuild a few players yes but it's not as if he's coming into a side in disarray. A few good purchases in the Summer will improve them massively.

The front 4 is decent - Aguero, Silva, Sterling & De Bruyne. Midfield a change of shape or/and a replacement for Yaya who's surely gone. Defence needs some work but even that is vastly improved with a fit Kompany.

He's also going to get a lot of cash to do his thing.
I think the thing is that a lot of those players are very good but there are no players like Alonso, Busquets, Iniesta or Xavi or remarkable fullbacks (at Barcelona Alves was key and in a totally different way - almost like playing like CMs - they have at Bayern too) in the City squad. He will either have to adapt and evolve his approach or buy excellently to create a Pep team for next season. It'll be very interesting to see what happens no matter what I suspect.
Old 10-02-16, 06:22 AM   #2011
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Are we expecting the wheels to fall off with them knowing the current manager is leaving and a more hardline and higher expectation manager coming in?
Old 12-02-16, 03:24 AM   #2012
EwarWoo
Paisley

Lol

Manchester City have been staging walkout protests at every home game since 2003. They're ahead of the curve!

Last edited by Muddled; 12-02-16 at 07:04 AM.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-16, 06:51 AM   #2013
Fernandinho
Where the bloody hell are ya?

Hey mate, you might want to pull that link down. It's powered by The S*n
Old 12-02-16, 07:07 AM   #2014
EwarWoo
Paisley

Sorry, didn't notice that bit.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-16, 09:31 AM   #2015
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Looks like there's a chance of a Manchester derby friendly in China as part of the International Champions Cup.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 11:58 AM   #2016
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Manchester City are facing a fight to keep their best young players amid fears their first-team pathways will be blocked by Pep Guardiola.

A clutch of the club’s most talented Under 16s are stalling on signing contracts, concerned their route to senior football will be hampered by the impending Galactico era.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Busquets.html
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 02:40 PM   #2017
dww
humourless curmudgeon

How is the situation next season any different to how it has been for years?
Old 16-02-16, 02:47 PM   #2018
redmike65
Shankly

Talented players at City are in probably the worst place in the league which is ironic when one considers the massive investment the club have made. The best of their Academy would be wise to hold fire until they have some idea how potholed the pathway to the senior squad will be. Unlike at Liverpool where if you are on the books and catching the eye you'd feel you have a genuine chance right now.
redmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 02:47 PM   #2019
RichC
Meh

Slow news day and gives them a headline ?
Old 16-02-16, 02:47 PM   #2020
Alex
Administrator

Because the name Guardiola generates clicks?
Old 03-03-16, 01:02 AM   #2021
baitman
Daddy day care

is it possible that pep might be managing a team that misses out on CL footy next year

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 01:06 AM   #2022
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Their away support What a joke they are, a pitiful always the victim chant on about 75 mins aswell. At least it made a change from the Steven Gerrard song which seems to be their only one. Nothing club, shame they're getting a new manager as they are an easy 3 points at Anfield every season.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 11:22 AM   #2023
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Their away support What a joke they are, a pitiful always the victim chant on about 75 mins aswell. At least it made a change from the Steven Gerrard song which seems to be their only one. Nothing club, shame they're getting a new manager as they are an easy 3 points at Anfield every season.
I was in the Anfield Road Stand and I couldn't hear them at all, say for that moment you mentioned.

Last edited by dom9; 03-03-16 at 11:25 AM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 12:51 PM   #2024
Maxiedge
Shankly

Has to be said, MP has been awful for them last two seasons. Kind of lost the plot. Nice guy, but I think he might be too old for the job really. The subs they were making yesterday were giving me boners. Game, set and match.

He used to be good but I think sometimes you come to a point and age when you should call it a day. Maybe, his biggest weakness is his lack of ruthlessness. Makes it even more of a shame we couldn't beat them on sunday.

Bit of a jump going from Pellegrini (current) to Guardiola
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 12:55 PM   #2025
RichC
Meh

TBF i think the biggest issue Pellegrini has is that he's basically now a caretaker until Pep takes over, the players have checked out and don't seem to be working for him. .

Poor management from the club really as it's undermined his position and the players seemingly have given up the ghost this season.
Old 03-03-16, 12:55 PM   #2026
RichC
Meh

TBF i think the biggest issue Pellegrini has is that he's basically now a caretaker until Pep takes over, the players have checked out and don't seem to be working for him. .

Poor management from the club really as it's undermined his position and the players seemingly have given up the ghost this season.
Old 03-03-16, 01:00 PM   #2027
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:

Yep that's true but I think the issue their poor form (respective to their squad) dates back to last season too. They used to have a fear factor about them that has been slowly dissolved (even before the announcement).

Pellegrini bringing in Demichelis all those seasons ago was the first chink in their armour.
Old 03-03-16, 01:03 PM   #2028
redmike65
Shankly

Frankly they should need no geeing up from Peli - they have just won a cup and they're in the hunt for two others and a league title. Fuck it they ought to be virtually self-propelled with such an array of gongs offer, not to mention the need to impress Guardiola
Old 03-03-16, 01:17 PM   #2029
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
Yep that's true but I think the issue their poor form (respective to their squad) dates back to last season too. They used to have a fear factor about them that has been slowly dissolved (even before the announcement).

Pellegrini bringing in Demichelis all those seasons ago was the first chink in their armour.
They're a bit like us in some ways with the vast sums of money wasted on bog average players however they do have a core group of players that are still very good.

The loss of KDB hasn't helped them as he was turning into a big game player for them
Old 03-03-16, 01:18 PM   #2030
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
They're a bit like us in some ways with the vast sums of money wasted on bog average players however they do have a core group of players that are still very good.

The loss of KDB hasn't helped them as he was turning into a big game player for them
Yeah I like him. Rolls-Royce that boy . Great delivery of the ball.
Old 03-03-16, 03:03 PM   #2031
Gibbo
Like a boss

I think He's doing it on purpose so Pep has to sit through the Europa.

Which would be glorious.
Old 03-03-16, 03:11 PM   #2032
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I think He's doing it on purpose so Pep has to sit through the Europa.

Which would be glorious.
now that would be hilarious
Old 03-03-16, 04:04 PM   #2033
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:

De Bruyne looks like a special player doesn't he? A really big miss for them. While he'll not be another Messi, I can envisage him becoming the creative fulcrum for Pep's Citeh.

Makes it all the funnier that Mourinho bombed him out of Chelsea.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 10:07 PM   #2034
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
I thought our fans were pretty shit too. Only songs really sung from AR were 'Manchester is shit' (how embarrassing) and boos for Sterling. Is that not what we complain about other clubs doing?

Didn't hear anything though from the away support I must say.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 12:15 AM   #2035
redmike65
Shankly

At one point half the squad had a bouncy tune in their honour, now no one has. Admittedly its hard to be arsed when half of them are out injured and the half will be sold
Old 04-03-16, 07:53 PM   #2036
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
I thought our fans were pretty shit too. Only songs really sung from AR were 'Manchester is shit' (how embarrassing) and boos for Sterling. Is that not what we complain about other clubs doing?

Didn't hear anything though from the away support I must say.
Far from it.

The Manchester one, embarrassingly was the most frequent, granted.

But we had a couple of renditions of "Fields...", many Sterling / greedy bastard, and loads of Kolo renditions. And deservedly so too. He was epic. Plus a load of stuff I can't remember.

I've sat in that end quite a few times over the years and that was the most choral I've ever known it to be.
Old 04-03-16, 09:04 PM   #2037
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Far from it.

But we had a couple of renditions of "Fields...", many Sterling / greedy bastard, and loads of Kolo renditions. And deservedly so too. He was epic. Plus a load of stuff I can't remember.

I've sat in that end quite a few times over the years and that was the most choral I've ever known it to be.
Were you in AR this game Dom?
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 09:38 PM   #2038
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Were you in AR this game Dom?
Yup. Right in the corner by the Centenary.
Old 05-03-16, 12:29 AM   #2039
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Far from it.

Someone is using doms account. Since when does he go watch us live and since when did he bother posting so positively about the experience. He didn't even like football for years.
Old 05-03-16, 12:54 AM   #2040
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Someone is using doms account. Since when does he go watch us live and since when did he bother posting so positively about the experience. He didn't even like football for years.
Agree. He is normally like a miffed wifey

est1892 > Football > General Football