It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 19-01-14, 01:23 PM   #1121
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Wouldn't mind if it was that all time great team of a few years ago but to this lot....jeez

As I've said before they're a good side but we're making them look totally invincible.

We've made them look great, they're decent but far from great.

Wholesale changes need to be made IMO
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-14, 03:58 PM   #1122
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for Cook...

Quote:
England all-rounder and perennial underachiever, Ravi Bopara has backed Alastair Cook

Following the 5-0 Ashes defeat and three successive ODI losses, Cook said he could resign as skipper of the limited-overs team.
But Bopara said: "I would love for him to carry on and do both formats.
"I do believe that your best player should be your captain and I still believe that he is our best player."
Quote:
Cook's scores down under
First Test: 13 & 65
Second Test: 3 & 1
Third Test: 72 & 0
Fourth Test: 27 & 51
Fifth Test: 7 & 7
First ODI: 4
Second ODI: 22
Third ODI: 35
Cook was left to consider his position after Australia took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match one-day series.
His own lack of form has compounded his misery as he scored just 246 runs in 10 innings during the Ashes, while has has been dismissed for four, 22 and 35 in the ODIs.
England have now lost nine successive matches in various formats against Australia, with two more one-dayers and three Twenty20 matches remaining before they return home.
"Previous to this Ashes tour, he had a very good record [as captain]," Bopara said of his Essex team-mate.
"Although the captain always gets the blame, I don't think that's right."
Bopara himself has scored just 62 from three one-day innings in Australia, though he has taken two wickets and kept a tight economy rate of 3.93. He hasn't played a Test since July 2012, when he was dropped after a poor run of form against South Africa.
But he added: "It is a team game. The team needs to perform for you to win.
"The other players see it the same way. He is one of our most experienced players.
"He knows what he is doing. It is just a tough time and he is the sort of guy who will turn it around.
"I think that this is good for him and he will come out of it a much better person."
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-14, 11:12 AM   #1123
Alex
Administrator

I dont want to Jinx it. But England might be on the verge of winning a game of something in Australia.

Aus need about 125 runs in 14 overs to win. About 9 an over. Currently they are going at about 5.3.

Lets just wait until the last few balls before we get too confident though
Old 24-01-14, 11:18 AM   #1124
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Lets just wait until the last few balls before we get too confident though
317 is a massive target in the best of circumstances, we'd have to go some to lose these.

But then, this is England.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-14, 11:25 AM   #1125
RichC
Meh

I dunno 5 wickets in hand and 12 overs left to score just over a hundred, I think they'll probably manage it.
Old 24-01-14, 11:51 AM   #1126
Chazza
Des Lynam

239-8

Should be home now.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-14, 11:55 AM   #1127
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

About time. Stokes is boss - wonderful send off he gave Faulkner

"Fuck off you twat"
Old 24-01-14, 12:04 PM   #1128
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Stokes under an absolute dolly for the victory.........DROPPED!!!!!
Old 24-01-14, 12:05 PM   #1129
ChesterDave
Paisley

Deliberate. Wants his 5!
Old 24-01-14, 12:12 PM   #1130
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

We've won!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-01-14, 12:15 PM   #1131
Alex
Administrator

Fuck me

Better than Australia

Only as good as your last game
Old 24-01-14, 12:16 PM   #1132
RichC
Meh

OMG!!

We've won a match against the Australian's 2nd string side
Old 24-01-14, 12:58 PM   #1133
Chazza
Des Lynam

The relief on Cooks face at the end.
Old 26-01-14, 12:01 PM   #1134
RichC
Meh

England conspiring to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again
Old 26-01-14, 12:06 PM   #1135
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Exciting finish to this odi..England need 6 off 3 balls
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-14, 12:07 PM   #1136
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Congratulations to England
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-14, 12:08 PM   #1137
Chazza
Des Lynam

The Bopara wicket was really unlucky and I'm not sure the 3rd Ump could have been 100% certain he was not back in the crease.
Old 26-01-14, 12:10 PM   #1138
RichC
Meh

The Bopara wicket was nuts, not sure how it was given really but hey ho.
Old 26-01-14, 02:11 PM   #1139
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Third umpire clearly took a wild guess. Probably cost England the game but another collapse didn't help. Joke decision though.
Old 26-01-14, 02:12 PM   #1140
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...sen?CMP=twt_gu

Quote:
Graeme Swann: England should not ditch Kevin Pietersen

Graeme Swann defends Kevin Pietersen after troubled tour
Off-spinner admits he had become 'a liability' for England

Tom Davies

theguardian.com, Sunday 26 January 2014 13.10 GMT

Graeme Swann has spoken out about the circumstances surrounding his retirement, saying he had become "a liability", while urging England to keep Kevin Pietersen in the team.

The off-spinner, who quit all international cricket after England's defeat in the third Ashes Test at Perth last month, wrote in the Sun on Sunday, Swann said: "It is about time I set the record straight on myself, Alastair Cook, Andy Flower and Kevin Pietersen."

The England batsman endured a difficult Ashes series, which prompted more speculation about his future but Swann insisted his former team-mate should still have a role. "England's short-term future should include Pietersen. People seem keen to create a rift between Kevin and the rest of the team," he said.

"Among the more ludicrous stories was one claiming he did not go to the team's Christmas lunch. I know he did because I sat next to him. Since being reintegrated in 2012, his attitude has been great. He was England's top run scorer in the Ashes and is one of the world's best players, so why get rid of him?"

Swann also sprung to the defence of the beleaguered Cook and Flower, maintaining they were " the right men to be captain and head coach", and that the players should bear responsibility for England's 5-0 Ashes whitewash. But although he insisted there were "no cliques" in a dressing room that was "very together", he also returned to comments made at his retirement press conference about some members of the squad.

"I made some comments about certain players being 'up their own backsides' but I wasn't having a go at Kevin or any other England player. I won't name names but if people don't know who I was talking about, they are not watching the game with their eyes open."

Of his retirement decision, Swann said: "I decided to end my career with immediate effect after our defeat in the third Test meant the Ashes had gone. The reason was simple I was a spent force.

"There were accusations I deserted a sinking ship but it was clear I was a liability and not able to contribute in any way towards winning For me to carry on would have been the most ridiculous and selfish decision on the planet."
If he *really* wasn't talking about KP/an England player - he must've been on about that cunt Warner?
Old 26-01-14, 03:45 PM   #1141
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Third umpire clearly took a wild guess. Probably cost England the game but another collapse didn't help. Joke decision though.
His foot was clearly off the ground when the bail came out though. The camera behind the keeper showed it best. You could see a clear shadow and the bail lifted off.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-14, 01:12 PM   #1142
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Bresnan bowled England to defeat again today
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-14, 01:14 PM   #1143
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
His foot was clearly off the ground when the bail came out though. The camera behind the keeper showed it best. You could see a clear shadow and the bail lifted off.
I dunno, man. It looked to me like it was bobbling around on the stumps and only finally came off properly once his foot was back down. The fact that so many pros and pundits disagree about whether it was out (from both sides) suggests that there was too much doubt for the umpire to give that out.

Lets be honest, the umpiring on both tours has been abysmal.
Old 29-01-14, 01:15 PM   #1144
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
I dunno, man. It looked to me like it was bobbling around on the stumps and only finally came off properly once his foot was back down. The fact that so many pros and pundits disagree about whether it was out (from both sides) suggests that there was too much doubt for the umpire to give that out.

Lets be honest, the umpiring on both tours has been abysmal.
Old 31-01-14, 01:30 PM   #1145
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
ESPNcricinfo ‏@ESPNcricinfo
Breaking: The Telegraph reports that Andy Flower has been sacked as England coach.
Old 31-01-14, 01:32 PM   #1146
spud_gun
Paisley

Don't think he had any choice.

Tour has been the worst imaginable.

Oh well i guess we'll see KP in an England jumper again.
Old 31-01-14, 01:38 PM   #1147
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ach?CMP=twt_gu

Quote:
Andy Flower sacked as England cricket coach after Ashes shambles

• Flower pays price for whitewash down under
• Managing director Paul Downton wields axe

Barney Ronay at the MCG
theguardian.com, Friday 31 January 2014 12.37 GMT

Andy Flower has left his post as England's team director.

Flower was called to a meeting at Lord's on Thursday where he was told his time was up by the new managing director of the ECB Paul Downton, who officially starts in his own post on Saturday.

Shortly after an overwhelming eight-wicket defeat at the MCG in the second Twenty20 international, news filtered through that Flower, who has been England's head coach since 2009, would leave his post immediately.

Arguably England's most successful coach of the modern era, Flower has now become the first and most spectacular casualty of a horrific tour of Australia that has seen England whitewashed in the Ashes and beaten badly in all formats.

Off the field three England players have returned home ahead of times in unusual circumstances, while the relationship with Kevin Pietersen has remained toxic throughout.
Old 31-01-14, 01:45 PM   #1148
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Who will they bring in?
Old 31-01-14, 01:46 PM   #1149
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Bet it's Ashley Giles. Without having any insight into how he works, he seems a totally uninspiring figure.
Old 31-01-14, 01:50 PM   #1150
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Bet it's Ashley Giles. Without having any insight into how he works, he seems a totally uninspiring figure.
Yeah. Had great success in the championship as a coach.

We should go all out to get Kirsten.
Old 31-01-14, 02:34 PM   #1151
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
mike selvey ‏@selvecricket
Cant see how Ashley Giles is a shoo-in. Appointed by Morris and Flower and as much part of malaise as anyone.One day stuff a shambles.
Old 31-01-14, 02:46 PM   #1152
Chazza
Des Lynam

Gary Kirsten and Stephen Fleming also being mentioned.

Be happy with either if those.
Old 31-01-14, 03:17 PM   #1153
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Athers said on SSN earlier that Flower has accepted a role at Loughborough with the Performance set up.
Old 31-01-14, 03:36 PM   #1154
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Flower resigned, wasn't sacked.
Old 31-01-14, 03:37 PM   #1155
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricke...8#.Uuu01PRdWa8

Quote:
Andy Flower steps down as England coach position with ECB looking for one man to cover all three teams

Jan 31, 2014 12:49 By Dean Wilson

The Zimbabwean led England to no.1 in the world Test rankings, but has left his role after Alastair Cook's side lost 5-0 Down Under

Andy Flower has stepped down as England team boss after five years and a horrific tour of Australia.

In an admission that the two coach structure operated by England has failed over the past 14 months, Flower will now clear the way for one man to take charge across all three formats.

The England team director is set to continue with the ECB in a sideways move that will have him working out of Loughborough but he will not be in charge of the senior team's affairs.

Flower is understood to have told new managing director Paul Downton in a meeting at Lord's on Thursday that he was no longer the right man to lead the Test team forward.

The former Zimbabwe wicket-keeper batsman was not pushed by Downton, who was still in the process of conducting his review into the disastrous tour.

Rather Flower came to the conclusion that England are in such dire straits across the board following defeat in both the one day and T20 series' that followed the Ashes, that a single voice is required to lift them out of the doldrums.

Having given up a portion of his job during the tour to India in late 2012, Flower was not in a position to return to the full time role of touring year in year out with all three teams.

Ashley Giles took over the one day and T20 coaching role as Flower stepped aside and will be one of the favourites for the role, but Downton will not simply hand the job to the next cab off the rank.

Flower is understood to have thought long and hard about his role in the Ashes debacle and the way in which his England side has come to a crushing halt.

He has kept his cards close to his chest throughout the tour, but time spent at home brought him to the decision that perhaps his time had come.

Already the most successful England coach of all time with three Ashes wins and a World T20 crown to his name, as well as taking England to No.1 in the world across all three formats, Flower leaves the side in a mess.

His methods have generally been hugely successful over his five years in charge, but what was once his attention to detail has become stifling and the players have found it difficult to hit the heights this winter.
Old 31-01-14, 04:48 PM   #1156
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

He seems totally meek, he was a bog standard spinner. Can't see him having the necessary back bone.
Old 31-01-14, 05:16 PM   #1157
EwarWoo
Paisley

We need a completely fresh slate.

As much as he didn't do too much was more to do with the team he had, so maybe someone like Nasser?

He's always struck me as both knowledgeable and endowed with the necessary danglies.

And whilst we're at it let cook concentrate on his batting.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-14, 05:23 PM   #1158
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This guy broke the Flower story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cri...ilure-too.html

Quote:
Andy Flower loses his job as England coach and Kevin Pietersen could pay price for Ashes failure too

Exclusive: Kevin Pietersen could follow Andy Flower in losing his place in the England set-up, as Paul Downton also reviews Alastair Cook's credentials as captain after loss to Australia

Kevin Pietersen's long-term future with the England team is on the line and will be decided this weekend by Paul Downton, whose review into the Ashes failure has led to the departure of team director Andy Flower. The ECB also have major doubts about Alastair Cook's captaincy credentials.

Downton, who only officially starts his job as the new managing director on Feb 2, met both Pietersen and Flower this week and the news of Flower’s departure will be confirmed by the ECB after Telegraph Sport this morning broke news of the decision to end his reign.

Downton’s next decision will be whether to tell Pietersen his England career is over. Just two weeks ago Flower was forced to issue a statement denying he had told the ECB he would resign if Pietersen remained an England player as the relationship between the two men completely broke down during the Ashes tour.

The ECB will not want Pietersen and his supporters to claim victory and believe he has ousted another coach after being central to the sacking of Peter Moores five years ago, a situation that also cost him the England captaincy.

But Pietersen remains a fine player and Giles may decide he wants him in the team over the next few weeks as they challenge for a global Twenty20 title they won in 2010 in the West Indies. Pietersen was the man of the tournament in that competition and has experience of Asian conditions form his time in the IPL.

Pietersen will want clarity from the ECB before the IPL auction on Feb 12. His value will depend on his availability for the tournament. If he does not have a Test future with England he may decide to retire meaning he will be able to play the whole IPL, a situationthat could earn him millions of dollars.

He has stated publicly he wants to carry on playing Test cricket for another three years but at 34 and with a long term knee injury some senior sources have indicated he he is no longer worth the effort to manage in the dressing room.

Alastair Cook is caught in the middle. He has publicly stated he wants to continue as England captain and hoped to work with Flower to rebuild the side.

But ECB executives have major doubts about his captaincy credentials after he was completely exposed by Michael Clarke in Australia.

Cook, like Flower, is widely admired as a strong character with many leadership qualities and is likely to be given the chance to lead England this summer.
Old 31-01-14, 05:27 PM   #1159
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Getting rid of KP would be a disaster.
Old 31-01-14, 05:33 PM   #1160
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Getting rid of KP would be a disaster.

Curing a cold by cutting your head off. I don't get it, KP always gets it from the media... He has been fundamental in some of the best times the England Cricket team have ever had. Would be crazy to end it whilst he still has so much to offer. No doubt the ECB have their own agenda, we shall see.

est1892 > General > General Sports