It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 03-01-14, 07:56 PM   #1
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Andy Murray/Tennis thread 2014

Not a great start to the year for the Scotchman.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 03-01-14, 08:02 PM   #2
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Not a great start to the year for the Scotchman.
Easing himself back after his back op he's won a couple and lost a couple.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:13 AM   #3
RichC
Meh

The Aussie open starts a week on Monday, let's hope Murray gets an easy start to it as he looks like he needs an few matches before being tested too much
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:49 AM   #4
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I reckon he will be building for another tilt at Wimbledon and the US this year. A decent showing in the Aussie will be good for him, plus he has shown a desire to compete at the French but it is impossible to see past Nadal for the French until he retires or his knees pack in. The positive is that recently Nadals efforts in the French have taken him out of contention for Wimbledon - though am I roght in saying there is an extra week between the 2 tournaments this year?

I'm actually reading the his book 77 right now. Its more of a momento than a serious documentary, but it gives a great insight into the sportsman that he is.

Apparently every year before Wimbledon the pressure manifests itself in him getting really bad mouth ulcers. Reading about him make you appreciate his achievements even more. He comes across as incredibly self aware, with a maturity way beyond his years. He comments on his relationship with tennis journo's that has not been easy in his reaching a simple understanding along the lines of 'I am paid to play tennis, they are paid to write about it'. In general terms he isn't that bothered about it.

I'd like to see him add another major this year, but wouldn't be surprised if he struggles to hit the heights of the last 2 years as he re-focuses.
Old 04-01-14, 11:27 AM   #5
RichC
Meh

If imagine those are his goals but he's down very well at the Aus open in recent years, 3 finals in 4 years is bloody impressive, clearly likes the tournament and leaves him with a lot of points to defend.

This year will be interesting, after the massive highs of winning the US in 2012 and then Wimbledon last year it will be tough to keep up to those levels of success but now those two major monkeys are off his back ( no major winner for 77 years (76 if you want to be pedantic) and no winner of Wimbledon since FP) could see him kick on now as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up another major at all this season and hope he does so as well.
Old 04-01-14, 11:43 AM   #6
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post
If imagine those are his goals but he's down very well at the Aus open in recent years, 3 finals in 4 years is bloody impressive, clearly likes the tournament and leaves him with a lot of points to defend.

This year will be interesting, after the massive highs of winning the US in 2012 and then Wimbledon last year it will be tough to keep up to those levels of success but now those two major monkeys are off his back ( no major winner for 77 years (76 if you want to be pedantic) and no winner of Wimbledon since FP) could see him kick on now as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up another major at all this season and hope he does so as well.

He has to be so at ease with himself having won a couple of Slams now. He mentions that in the last Aus open final (though he lost) it was the most comfortable he had ever felt during a Slam final, and that after winning the first set he knows he had a couple of opportunities to win the second it didn't happen and Novak triumphed. It seems that there are very fine margins between success and failure at the top level.

Would be nice to see him get to the Aussie Final and get an 'easier' game in the final, as he's always had Fed or Djok. But its hard to see past Murray, Novak or Nadal for the title.
Old 04-01-14, 12:09 PM   #7
RichC
Meh

I'd agree those three are the big favourites for the title but the Aussie open is the one that sometimes throws up a surprise winner like a Safin or Johansson but it's been a while since that's happened.

I wonder if we might finally see a real resurgence from Del Potro this season
Old 04-01-14, 12:11 PM   #8
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I'd agree those three are the big favourites for the title but the Aussie open is the one that sometimes throws up a surprise winner like a Safin or Johansson but it's been a while since that's happened.

I wonder if we might finally see a real resurgence from Del Potro this season
Yeah, he needs to recapture his Wimbledon form - he went so close. He and Ferrer just don't seem to have what it takes to make that final jump. They should take inspiration from Murray over the alst few years, though I suspect neither has as complete a game as Murray.
Old 04-01-14, 06:22 PM   #9
RichC
Meh

Nadal has won the Qatar open, think that's one of the first times he's won a title in the first week of the season.

Apparently had to have more work on his knees in the break.
Old 07-01-14, 01:49 PM   #10
Daniel 7
Heretic

Can't see Andy carrying on his traditional Aussie form this year - it seems a bit too soon after his injury / surgery. How will the draw work out this year with Murray's ranking being lower and Federer dropping like a stone? Who would he be likely to get in the semis?

Regardless - I predict a quarter final from him this time but a very strong Wimbledon defence later this year.

Last edited by Daniel 7; 07-01-14 at 01:52 PM.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 01:51 PM   #11
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He's seeded to meet Nadal in the semis I think - usually 1v4 and 2v3. Unless they do it differently in Melbourne.
Old 07-01-14, 01:53 PM   #12
Daniel 7
Heretic

Nadal's ferocious. What kind of work on his knees rcasemore? Anything likely to inhibit him?
Old 07-01-14, 02:03 PM   #13
RichC
Meh

I think it's the same old tendentious issues he's had for years.

The tell of what shape he's in is if he's wearing strapping on his knees or not.
Old 07-01-14, 02:22 PM   #14
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

His fitness over the coming years will have a massive say in how many more Slams Murray and Novak pick up. It will be interesting to see how Novak gets on with Boris Becker in his team. he has obviously gone the sameway as Murray - but in terms of personalities I am not sure there is enough room for both Becker and Djokovics egos in the team. Murray and Lendl on the other hand seem a perfect match.

And what of Roger, will his decline continue or can he turn it round.
Old 07-01-14, 11:29 PM   #15
Daniel 7
Heretic

Loving how the big boys of the 80's and early 90's are lining up with the current lot - its fucking excellent Totally adds to the intrigue

Lendl, Edberg and Boris
Old 08-01-14, 12:15 PM   #16
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Evans has comfortably won his opening qualifying match.
Old 08-01-14, 12:29 PM   #17
Daniel 7
Heretic

Nadal as a semi for Andy, according to the seedings...
Old 10-01-14, 08:18 AM   #18
RichC
Meh

Draw has been made with a potential Federer quarter then Nadal semi final for Murray.

His potential route

Quote:
Round one: Go Soeda (Jpn)

Round two: Qualifier

Round three: Feliciano Lopez (Spa, 26th seed)

Round four: John Isner (US, 13th seed)

Quarter-final: Roger Federer (Swi, 6th seed)

Semi-final: Rafael Nadal (Spa, 1st seed)

Final: Novak Djokovic (Ser, 2nd seed)
Nadal had a tough opener in Tomic, crowd favourite and he'll not be a push over
Old 10-01-14, 08:36 AM   #19
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He needs to get back to 3rd seed, to avoid potential Roger/Rafa/Novak run in in the future!
Old 13-01-14, 10:52 AM   #20
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Robson and Watson both out in the first round of Aus open.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 13-01-14, 12:30 PM   #21
Daniel 7
Heretic

Laura Robson looks a bit weighty for a professional athlete.
Old 13-01-14, 01:21 PM   #22
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
Laura Robson looks a bit weighty for a professional athlete.
I think she is totally hot. I could watch her running about getting all hot, bothered an sweaty all day

She's got a wrist injury at the moment. Fighting fit I'd have backed her to win last night. Think she has bright future and she'll be top 10 within a couple of years.
Old 14-01-14, 09:03 AM   #23
RichC
Meh

Crushing straight sets win for Murray, saw the end of the second and third sets, looked really good although the opponent didn't have enough to trouble him.
Old 14-01-14, 09:18 AM   #24
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

he looked great - served really well. He is like a different guy out there in terms of how relaxed and controlled he looks out there.
Old 14-01-14, 09:21 AM   #25
RichC
Meh

He does seem to enjoy the Australian open, I think the lack of pressure he's probably put on himself for this tournament will probably help as well.

Potentially got to get through Fed, Nadal and Djokovic to win it though!! That will not be easy
Old 14-01-14, 09:33 AM   #26
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I seem to remember he was due to face thus run in at Wimbledon last year too. I agree he seems to have almost no expectations this year, no doubt that will change if he reaches week 2. It's going to be interesting to see where Roger fits in this year?
Old 14-01-14, 09:36 AM   #27
RichC
Meh

Yeah, he needs to get back to that number 3 slot!!! I think this might be Feds last season on tour, he's gone backwards notably the past couple of seasons and if he's not in the mix for titles anymore then I can see him calling it a day.

Intrigued to see how Nadal gets on today, Tomic is not an easy start to a slam
Old 14-01-14, 12:43 PM   #28
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Tomic is not an easy start to a slam
Turns out Tomic was the perfect start to this Slam - Walkover.
Old 14-01-14, 01:27 PM   #29
Daniel 7
Heretic

I thought Andy would go out at the quarters, but even coming back from injury, he should have too much for Fed shouldn't he?

He seems to really enjoy the heat Murray, which is bizarre given where he comes from
Old 14-01-14, 01:50 PM   #30
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
I thought Andy would go out at the quarters, but even coming back from injury, he should have too much for Fed shouldn't he?

He seems to really enjoy the heat Murray, which is bizarre given where he comes from
Other than being from Scotland, he displays few of our traditional attributes.
Old 14-01-14, 02:06 PM   #31
RichC
Meh

I'd expect him to be too good for Fed these days unless he has one of those roll back the years games but I can't see it myself.

Strange how well he deals with the heat isn't it, shows how dedicated he must be with his preparations and fitness levels to be like that.
Old 14-01-14, 02:36 PM   #32
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Scorchio.

Quote:
Australian Open 2014: Player complains of 'inhumane' treatment

Australian Open organisers have been criticised for forcing players to compete in intense heat as temperatures hit 42C in Melbourne.
Canada's Frank Dancevic required medical attention after fainting in his first-round match and said it was "inhumane" to allow players to compete in such testing conditions.

Britain's Andy Murray says the incident may damage the event's reputation.
"It doesn't look good for the sport when people are collapsing," he said.
"Most of the players are conditioned well enough to last in that weather but doing it for three or four hours is tough to recover from."
The fourth seed, who recorded a straight-sets win over Japan's Go Soeda in his first match of the tournament, added: "At 3pm, the conditions were very, very tough.

"Whether it's safe, I don't know, but there have been issues in other sports with players collapsing and you don't want to see anything bad happen to anyone."

Quote:
The high temperatures resulted in a number of incidents at Melbourne Park on Tuesday:
Former women's world number one Caroline Wozniacki's plastic water bottle melted on court
Defending women's champion Victoria Azarenka described the heat like "dancing in a frying pan"
2008 finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's shoes softened in the high temperatures
Ballboys and ballgirls have their shifts reduced from 1hr to 45mins to stop them overheating
Serbia's Jelena Jankovic, who won the Wimbledon mixed doubles title in 2007, burnt her backside on an uncovered seat
Dancevic passed out during the second set of his first-round defeat to France's Benoit Paire on the uncovered court six.

Russell Fuller
BBC tennis correspondent
"Tuesday's winners are forecast to face 40-degree heat when they return to the fray on Thursday, which could transform the second week from a tennis tournament into an Ironman contest.

"Football and long-distance running are potentially more hazardous, but perhaps a suspension of play would be advisable on the very rare occasions that tennis is played in such extreme conditions."
"Until somebody dies, they just keep going on with it and putting matches on in this heat," Dancevic, 29, said. "It's inhumane, I don't think it's fair to anybody. "I've played five-set matches all my life and being out there for a set and a half and passing out with heat-stroke is not normal," he said.
A ball boy collapsed and needed medical support during Milos Raonic's four-set victory over Daniel Gimeno-Traver on court eight, while former women's world number one Caroline Wozniacki said the heat melted a plastic water bottle during her straight-sets win over Lourdes Dominguez Lino.
"I put the bottle down on the court and it started melting a little bit underneath, the plastic, so you knew it was warm," Wozniacki said. "It felt like I was playing in a sauna."

American John Isner, who retired from his first-round match with a right ankle injury, added: "It was like an oven - when I open the oven and the potatoes are done. That's what it's like."Players draped bags of ice around their necks and retreated into the shade at the back of the courts between points, while some spectators queued in front of large electric fans that blasted water at their faces. "It felt pretty hot, like you're dancing in a frying pan or something like that," defending women's champion Victoria Azarenka said. "I don't think anybody wants to go outdoors right now."

Chinese player Chan Hao-ching improvises with a novel method of keeping chilled "I don't know how to say it in English, but it's not good for our shoes when it's hot like this," 2008 Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga said after his straight-sets win over Filippo Volandri. Serbia's Jelena Jankovic burned her backside and hamstrings on an uncovered seat during her victory over Japan's Misaki Doi, and the former world number one believes there should be a set temperature where play is suspended. "For the health of the players they should have a temperature where you don't play," she said.
"It doesn't matter how good a player you are sometimes your body can't cope with this. It's not easy and you can't enjoy playing when you are ready to explode and are red in the face."

However, the tournament's chief medical officer, Tim Wood, insists that the risk to players' health in the extreme heat was minimal. "The majority of matches today were completed without any court calls from the medical team," Wood said. "Of course there were a few players who experienced heat-related illness or discomfort, but none required significant medical intervention after they had completed their match."

Tournament officials have not invoked emergency heat rules which allow them to halt play and close the roofs on the centre and second court, although they have allowed a 10-minute break between the second and third sets for women's singles and junior singles matches.

The day's peak temperature of 42.2C was short of Melbourne's January record of 45.6C, which came during the notorious Black Friday bushfires of 1936. High temperatures are expected for the rest of the week.
Organisers use the Wet Bulb Global Temperature composite, which also gauges humidity and wind, rather than the temperature alone when assessing extreme heat conditions.

Quote:
The Wet Bulb Global Temperature reading
Australian Open organisers use a combination of air temperature, humidity and wind speed (the Wet Bulb Global Temperature reading, or WBGT) - rather than just air temperature - to decide whether conditions are suitable for play. There is no set number for the WBGT that triggers a halt in play, but a combination of high temperature and high humidity are the conditions that most affect players, spectators and personnel. When the WBGT reading reaches 26, ice vests are sent to all courts and a reading of 30.1 sees a 10-minute break introduced to women's singles matches, but only at one set all.
The decision on whether to stop matches at the tournament is now at the discretion of tournament director Wayne McKewen, following a change in the tournament rules this year. "While conditions were hot and uncomfortable, the relatively low level of humidity ensured that conditions never deteriorated to a point where it was necessary to invoke the extreme heat policy," McKewen said. Greg Whyte, a former Olympian and professor of applied sport and exercise science, believes spectators rather than players are at most risk from the extreme heat. "The crowd invariably are at greatest risk, specifically because they are not acclimatised to the heat," he said.

"What you have to remember is that athletes, particularly tennis players, play all over the world. "They are very well acclimatised and incredibly well looked after. They hydrate themselves well on court and there are expert teams around them who are deciding if it is potentially dangerous.

"If we were taking unacclimatised individuals and putting them in these extreme environment then I would be more concerned."
Old 18-01-14, 11:18 AM   #33
RichC
Meh

Cracking win for Murray earlier on, nice easy 3 sets over Lopez.

Nadal is looking in great form at the moment vs Monfils, 5-1 in the first set at the moment.
Old 18-01-14, 01:01 PM   #34
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He looks in good form.

Perhaps this tournament has come a bit too early for him after his surgery, but it has been an impressive start, he looks confident as well. I guess we will see where his game is once he faces Roger.
Old 18-01-14, 02:53 PM   #35
RichC
Meh

Federer has looked good as well, more weight on his shots and seems more comfortable on his backhand, maybe the addition of Edberg and the change of racquet has given him a bit more confidence to play like he used to.

The 2nd week is shaping up well
Old 19-01-14, 08:43 AM   #36
RichC
Meh

Williams beaten in 3 sets, another year she won't win 4 slams in a season then, really don't like her and it's probably comments like this that help with that opinion.

Quote:
"I almost pulled out. I'm such a competitor, I probably should have,"
She does continue with this but really she's already given the reason why she thinks she's lost and it's not Ivanovic.

Quote:
"I don't want to blame anything. I feel like Ana deserves all the credit. I feel she played unbelievable today. I think she went for her shots."
Old 19-01-14, 12:17 PM   #37
RichC
Meh

Tsonga vs Federer should be a good match tomorrow, Tsonga has looked pretty decent so far this tournament and he hasn't dropped a set.
Old 20-01-14, 10:13 AM   #38
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fifth successive Aussie Open QF for Muzza

Plays the winner of Federer v Tsonga
Old 20-01-14, 10:22 AM   #39
RichC
Meh

That should be a cracking match up today.

Ipad on at work to watch it!
Old 20-01-14, 12:02 PM   #40
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fed pisses it in three.

Federer v Murray

est1892 > General > General Sports