It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 06-01-21, 02:23 PM   #961
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Yeah I do think he's gone alright, just hope he can still put in top performances until the seasons end. Gutted to lose him to be honest, he's a fabulous player.
Old 06-01-21, 02:27 PM   #962
spud_gun
Paisley

He's free to sign a pre contract agreement with a non English club isn't he?
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 02:28 PM   #963
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
He's free to sign a pre contract agreement with a non English club isn't he?
Yes, from the start of Jan, although he supposedly said he wouldn't talk to other clubs while still talking to us or something like that.
Old 06-01-21, 02:31 PM   #964
Scratch
If you fail once....

Be a fool to sign a pre-contract with Barca tho, cos I feel that Koeman wouldn't be there in the summer, so if he's wanting that link-up he'd be better off seeing where Koeman goes next?!
Old 06-01-21, 02:41 PM   #965
frank the tank
Shankly

if he gets a bad injury, then he could get nothing. So he could potentially be looking at a 30m loss there. His advisors will be all over him to sign a contract with someone.

I hope his form doesn't drop once he does sign with someone else.
frank the tank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 10:35 AM   #966
BG1973
Fagan

What a shit situation for everyone. Been a legend.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 12:18 PM   #967
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
What a shit situation for everyone. Been a legend.
True, but each season we should be looking to replace/upgrade at least one player from the first eleven... if they all hit 30+ at the same time, we'll be scrambling to do a complete rebuild. Rather lose one or two key players a season if we can replace them with someone better or younger, preferably both... not sure Alaba ticks the second box on that criteria. Awesome player though and versatile to boot. He would be a decent replacement, at least in the short-term (2-3 years)
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 12:27 PM   #968
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
True, but each season we should be looking to replace/upgrade at least one player from the first eleven... if they all hit 30+ at the same time, we'll be scrambling to do a complete rebuild. Rather lose one or two key players a season if we can replace them with someone better or younger, preferably both...

Bob Paisley always looked to replace 2 or 3. Our downfall began when Kenny didn't do that and instead allowed the team grew old (and too old) together.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 02:25 PM   #969
BG1973
Fagan

Just hope he realises how valued he is by the fans. Shame nobody in the stadium to tell him.
Old 11-01-21, 02:38 PM   #970
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He's sung about more than Hendo, Alisson or Trent. Not sure players take that much notice of the crowd
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 02:41 PM   #971
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I don't think he's looking for love tbh.
Old 11-01-21, 03:41 PM   #972
BG1973
Fagan

No, but looks like he's going to leave under a cloud feeling abut undervalued.
Old 11-01-21, 09:34 PM   #973
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post

Bob Paisley always looked to replace 2 or 3. Our downfall began when Kenny didn't do that and instead allowed the team grew old (and too old) together.

Kenny liked to spend IIRC. I think his judgement went a bit towards the end when we were signing the likes of David Speedie though.

Maybe not surprising all things considered.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 09:36 AM   #974
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
No, but looks like he's going to leave under a cloud feeling abut undervalued.
...he might feel undervalued by the hierarchy at the club, but I'm sure he doesn't think that about the fans, manager and backroom staff... he always comes across like he's proper entrenched in the fabric of those groups.

This is a commercial decision more than anything. He needs one last payday and as much as he wants to stay, he also wants serious wedge and a long-term contract... it's a crossroads. The club don't value him to the extent he wants. He'll see it as some kind of 'loyalty contract' for services rendered and the club will be looking at younger, cheaper, longer-term replacements to benefit the team and club. The last chunky contract is always the toughest one to negotiate or come to terms with...
Old 12-01-21, 10:01 AM   #975
S-RED
Dalglish

I get that he wants to maximize his earnings, but once you get to a certain point (5 mill PA), surely it would become more about on-field success?

He seems to be an intelligent guy, so it cannot be an agent lead thing?

That said, perhaps he just wants to sample a couple of seasons in Spain or Italy?
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 08:02 PM   #976
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...he might feel undervalued by the hierarchy at the club, but I'm sure he doesn't think that about the fans, manager and backroom staff... he always comes across like he's proper entrenched in the fabric of those groups.

This is a commercial decision more than anything. He needs one last payday and as much as he wants to stay, he also wants serious wedge and a long-term contract... it's a crossroads. The club don't value him to the extent he wants. He'll see it as some kind of 'loyalty contract' for services rendered and the club will be looking at younger, cheaper, longer-term replacements to benefit the team and club. The last chunky contract is always the toughest one to negotiate or come to terms with...
Yeah hope he does realise what we all think of him. Would hate for him to leave feeling anything other than a superstar which is what's he's been. Hence my note about pity fans not in grounds to let him know all that.

Whatever happens, legend.
Old 13-01-21, 09:49 AM   #977
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think there is more to it than money. According to reports we first offered him a contract 18 months ago that would double his 75k a week wages to 150k. If his contract runs to the end without signing a new one that decision not to sign has cost him 7.5m in lost wages (equivalent to a year's salary at 150k), supposedly the dispute between him and the club is over an extra year, he wants 4 years we offered 3.
Old 13-01-21, 10:05 AM   #978
Fivex
The Wisp

Has he got kids? Who knows, could be over schooling or something
Old 13-01-21, 10:54 AM   #979
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Surely England is now a less attractive place if you’ve family back in the EU? I mean, it’s a far less attractive place for me post Brexit and my family is here.

My missus is already experiencing issues with practicalities regarding her own family back in Estonia, even after ignoring my arguably subjective take on the issue.
Old 16-01-21, 06:04 PM   #980
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 16-01-21, 06:13 PM   #981
baitman
Daddy day care

Will he follow koeman to his new club

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 06:31 PM   #982
S-RED
Dalglish

night before huge game & the 'daily manc' print a bullshit story...... that is sir ale mid 90's mind games stuff...........
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 06:40 PM   #983
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

He will likely leave but that article is just guess work at best.
Old 16-01-21, 06:44 PM   #984
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Yep agree with that.
Old 16-01-21, 06:49 PM   #985
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
night before huge game & the 'daily manc' print a bullshit story...... that is sir ale mid 90's mind games stuff...........
I think we're immune to that sort of crap these days
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 06:59 PM   #986
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfunk View Post
He will likely leave but that article is just guess work at best.
Old 16-01-21, 10:01 PM   #987
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think he wants to play with Depay, they are best mates and there was a lot of talk of him going to Barca also.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 10:03 PM   #988
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

If that's the case, they're going to have Depay a lot of money to get him.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 11:12 PM   #989
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
If that's the case, they're going to have Depay a lot of money to get him.

Jokes aside - Barca are broke - Gini, Depay and Garcia from City all in on Bosmans
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 08:45 AM   #990
vlahka
Still sulking...

I dont mind too much about losing him. I do mind losing him for free though.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 02:46 PM   #991
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

I do mind losing him.
Old 17-01-21, 10:50 PM   #992
BigChief
Paisley

We need to evolve with quick feet midfielders that have a bit of guile. Hendo and Fab are enough as hard men. The rest need to complement Thiago with one touches. Gini has a horrendous touch for that type of football. Teams have sussed this out.

It's time to move on for him and us. Legend though for what he's achieved here.
Old 17-01-21, 11:04 PM   #993
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Yep, I have no problem with him leaving, I can almost be certain that the second we agreed to a 3 year contract for mega money he would drop off form. Time to move on, between this debacle, Salah giving a idiotic interview to Marca (obviously instigated) and the bitters doing a whack job on VvD our season has been derailed. If any player is not 100% committed, whether it be due to money, sunshine or whatever, it should have been made known at the end of last season so we could sell or let go and move on. The importance of togetherness and 100% commitment can’t be understated.

Last edited by kingfunk; 18-01-21 at 11:23 AM.
kingfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 11:06 PM   #994
Pepe79
Shankly

He’ll be a massive miss. He plays every game. We’d be absolutely fucked this season without him. Replacing his quality and availability is going to be a huge task.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 07:27 AM   #995
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
He’ll be a massive miss. He plays every game. We’d be absolutely fucked this season without him. Replacing his quality and availability is going to be a huge task.
Availability is so underrated + his tactical nous
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 10:36 AM   #996
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Hell be a massive miss. He plays every game. Wed be absolutely fucked this season without him. Replacing his quality and availability is going to be a huge task.
I agree. He gives us so much tactical flexibility and intelligence in midfield. There are a few comments now appearing about his touch (allegedly poor) and the incisiveness of his passing (ditto) but we know from his performances for the Netherlands that he can be a goal-scoring/penalty area-penetrating midfielder but that is not the job he is asked to do.

The problem we have is that the midfield has got used to being a defensive shield, a second ball winner and a shunter of the ball outwide - it needs to become, in addition, a goal threat (from outside the area nd by runs into the area - that is what the Ox and Naby were supposed to bring) and creative in the way it interacts directly with the forwards (this is what Thiago is supposed to deliver).
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 12:06 PM   #997
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I agree. He gives us so much tactical flexibility and intelligence in midfield. There are a few comments now appearing about his touch (allegedly poor) and the incisiveness of his passing (ditto) but we know from his performances for the Netherlands that he can be a goal-scoring/penalty area-penetrating midfielder but that is not the job he is asked to do.

The problem we have is that the midfield has got used to being a defensive shield, a second ball winner and a shunter of the ball outwide - it needs to become, in addition, a goal threat (from outside the area nd by runs into the area - that is what the Ox and Naby were supposed to bring) and creative in the way it interacts directly with the forwards (this is what Thiago is supposed to deliver).
With the forwards struggling to score and him as a proven goalscoring midfielder given the opportunity is it time to give him a more attacking role to mix things up a bit? With the players we have available after the forwards he seems the most likely to provide a consistent goal threat. Just a thought if we are going to shake things up...
Old 24-01-21, 08:03 PM   #998
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

This contract situation makes it hard to justify playing him. It would be completely reasonable at the back of his mind to be thinking about not getting an injury. It could cost him his move and a wedge of money. I think the situation has been distracting all season. He's popular in the dressing room and I think it's had an affect.
Old 24-01-21, 08:04 PM   #999
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Last 5 or 6 games he is unrecognisable
Old 24-01-21, 08:20 PM   #1000
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Last 5 or 6 games he is unrecognisable

...still looks like Gini to me