It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 03-12-18, 03:24 PM   #2121
Alex
Administrator

Slightly renamed the thread as John Terry is a bit of a no mark now, and the topic should probably be kept a bit more serious.
Old 03-12-18, 03:25 PM   #2122
Scratch
If you fail once....

Well, I've taken butties in before, cos I refuse to pay extortionate stadium prices for stadium food. I guess if I liked bananas, I could have taken one of them too. Good source of energy ain't they?
Old 03-12-18, 03:27 PM   #2123
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Slightly renamed the thread as John Terry is a bit of a no mark now, and the topic should probably be kept a bit more serious.
Terryist

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 03:27 PM   #2124
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
And therein lies the problem for the fan in question and with society today also; in the unlikely event it was a heat of the moment accident, that fan has already been tried and convicted by the media, the clubs and various sporting associations.

I think trial by media is dangerous and has shown in the past its been wrong. The Holgate/Firmino stuff was minor, but if handled wrong it could have been pretty devastating all round.

This case does seem pretty hard to try and find a justification for. Who in their right mind prepares racism ahead of time like that though? The person that did it went to buy that banana and then had to remember to bring it to the ground and then be close enough at the right time to lob it. People like that are losers.

It does seem to be getting worse at the moment, but I dont know if thats because now EVERYTHING is reported on, where as in the past we didnt have as many people/cameras/microphones at grounds looking out for stuff. Its not brilliant though is it.
Old 03-12-18, 03:29 PM   #2125
baitman
Daddy day care

Surely if the fruit thrower can produce a potassium rich stool then he has brought it to the match as a conveniently wrapped snack and he is only guilty of littering.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all.
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 03:51 PM   #2126
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Also, who the fuck brings a banana to a football match???

I haven't seen many bananas being consumed at sporting events over the years.

And then for the person to have eaten one to happen to mistakenly throw it on the pitch at a black player in a moment of frustration... it all seems a bit unlikely.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 03:58 PM   #2127
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Spurs should not be allowed to have any away fans for the rest of the season. Only something like that would actually push the club to do something about it. I know people will say "you are punishing a couple of thousand for the actions of one person" but fuck 'em. If they want to blame someone, then blame the clown that did that. It would push real fans to report such dick heads then as well....

Although, if you banned their away fans, then would they have to play in an empty Wembley for the next couple of months too???
Are you really advocating the same punishment for us if one of our own fuckwits did the same?
Old 03-12-18, 04:05 PM   #2128
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
And therein lies the problem for the fan in question and with society today also; in the unlikely event it was a heat of the moment accident, that fan has already been tried and convicted by the media, the clubs and various sporting associations.
Eh? Trial by media? Has the individual been named and publicly harassed by them? What is it about the coverage that is so wrong?

There are loads of examples of named people being subjected to trial by a media that repeatedly slurs them, of people being doxxed and hounded on social media, or of the general public enjoying piling on to heavily criticise people before thinking. That is a million miles from this, at least so far.

Can what right now simply amounts to people calling it racist to chuck a banana at an opposition black player who has just scored against your team really be thought of as the same?

If it is, at what point would it be acceptable for the media to condemn the incident as racist? Presumably not for many months, after a trial, when the outcome will be a footnote at best in the story of an incident that long since passed the nation by without too much fuss.
Red_Polo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 04:08 PM   #2129
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Well, I've taken butties in before, cos I refuse to pay extortionate stadium prices for stadium food. I guess if I liked bananas, I could have taken one of them too. Good source of energy ain't they?
I'm desperate for a bacon buttie now you fucker
Red_Polo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 04:17 PM   #2130
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Eh? Trial by media? Has the individual been named and publicly harassed by them? What is it about the coverage that is so wrong?

There are loads of examples of named people being subjected to trial by a media that repeatedly slurs them, of people being doxxed and hounded on social media, or of the general public enjoying piling on to heavily criticise people before thinking. That is a million miles from this, at least so far.

Can what right now simply amounts to people calling it racist to chuck a banana at an opposition black player who has just scored against your team really be thought of as the same?

If it is, at what point would it be acceptable for the media to condemn the incident as racist? Presumably not for many months, after a trial, when the outcome will be a footnote at best in the story of an incident that long since passed the nation by without too much fuss.
Correct.

Nothing of the sort has happened.

Spud seems to be inventing arguments to argue against. Or justify. I can't really be sure.
Old 03-12-18, 04:19 PM   #2131
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
I'm desperate for a bacon buttie now you fucker
I do recall a hamburger being thrown at Gary Neville at Anfield one time.

That amused me.
Old 03-12-18, 04:27 PM   #2132
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Correct.

Nothing of the sort has happened.

Spud seems to be inventing arguments to argue against. Or justify. I can't really be sure.
Twas Frank
Old 03-12-18, 04:33 PM   #2133
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Twas Frank

Scratch surely.

Apologies Spud.

Last edited by dom9; 03-12-18 at 04:44 PM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 04:52 PM   #2134
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post

Scratch surely.

Apologies Spud.

Apologies Frank (I think).
Old 03-12-18, 05:13 PM   #2135
Scratch
If you fail once....

Twas me, yes. As someone who has done something foolish without thought, only to regret it instantly, I can see this being an unintentional act.

But then again, maybe he planned it all and brought the banana in solely to throw it at the nearest black player the minute he got a chance. Who knows?

And in terms of Franks post about what it is that I find wrong, it's that before Spurs have even spoken to the fan, to find out if they have previous or a history or similar, they have stated the fan will be banned (assume for life).
Old 03-12-18, 05:34 PM   #2136
baitman
Daddy day care

If he intended to use it as a racist weapon then why eat the the thing first and make it lighter and harder to throw.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all.
Old 03-12-18, 05:49 PM   #2137
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Because he's thick?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 05:49 PM   #2138
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
If he intended to use it as a racist weapon then why eat the the thing first and make it lighter and harder to throw.
An important factor seemingly being overlooked by the hang'im brigade.

Unless of course he had to build up his racial hatred, a sort of potassium-infused 'Pac-Man Super Pill' ? As others elsewhere have pointed out, a good oul investigation of his social media and background may swing it.

Not that anything should be getting thrown at players......though I did enjoy Alli getting it in the mush yesterday. Richly deserved.
Old 03-12-18, 05:51 PM   #2139
Scratch
If you fail once....

That's partly my thinking too...yes, the incident has racist connotations, but to actually be racist does there have to be intent? I'm not sure how it works.

Last edited by Scratch; 03-12-18 at 05:52 PM. Reason: got my tenses all messed up.
Scratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 06:21 PM   #2140
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
I have a mental image of a guy pissed off because his kid has eaten his banana mid half and handed it to his dad, doesn't want to drop it and litter so begrudgingly holds it, arsenal score and run towards him and he wings it at them indiscriminately. Gets home to vent about his team's performance on twitter and then it sinks in. Like an episode of curb your enthusiasm.

Last edited by Kenneth; 03-12-18 at 06:45 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 06:25 PM   #2141
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I have a mental image of a guy pissed off because his kid has eaten his banana mid half and handed it to his dad, doesn't want to drop it on litter so begrudgingly holds it, arsenal score and run towards him and he wings it at them indiscriminately. Gets home to vent about his team's performance and then it sinks in. Like an episode of curb your enthusiasm.
Could be as innocent and stupid as that.
If he'd have had several to chuck its a it more premeditated.

Old 03-12-18, 10:29 PM   #2142
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

If you want to throw something, try a mango.

Pretty portable, soft and fleshy but weighty enough to get distance!
Old 07-12-18, 08:19 PM   #2143
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #2144
ChesterDave
Paisley

Police looking to identify a Chelsea fan alleged to have racially abused Sterling yesterday.

Can't tell from the video myself but there is a lot of venom in whatever he said.
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #2145
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

There's a black guy directly behind him too?
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #2146
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Raheem Sterling accuses the Daily Mail of fuelling "racism and aggressive behaviour"

Raheem Sterling has spoken out on the alleged racial abuse he suffered during yesterday's game at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea have since announced that they have opened an investigation into the incident.

The Man City winger did not have much to say about last night's incident, but instead drew a correlation between how the media treats black footballers and "racism and aggression" from the stands.

Sterling, who is regularly targeted for criticism by the British tabloids, pointed out the difference in the Daily Mail's reporting of two young City players who bought houses for their respective mothers.

"Regarding what was said at the Chelsea game, as you can see by my reaction I just had to laugh because I don't expect no better."

The Instagram post juxtaposes to screenshots of Daily Mail coverage of Tosin Adarabioyo and Phil Foden each purchasing homes. The headline on the Adarabioyo story does refer to the young man by name — it simply reads "Young Manchester City footballer, 20, on £25,000 a week splashes out on mansion on market for £2.25 million despite having never started a Premier League match."

The headline on the Phil Foden story reads: "Manchester City starlet Phil Foden buys new £2m home for his mum."

"This young black kid is looked at in a bad light," Sterling points out. "Which helps fuel racism and aggressive behaviour, so for all the newspapers that don't understand why people are racist in this day and age, all I have to say is have a second thought about fair publicity and give all players an equal chance."

You can read the post in full below.

(Can't copy image)

https://www.joe.ie/sport/raheem-ster...ea-game-651027
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #2147
dom9
Ant Pisser

And he's 100% correct.
Old Today, 11:51 PM   #2148
ChesterDave
Paisley

Mail now reporting Sterling told the Metropolitan Police that he was racially abused.

So it would appear that it was black and not manc as some apologists across social media would appear desperate to be the case.
Old Today, 11:52 PM   #2149
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Mail now reporting Sterling told the Metropolitan Police that he was racially abused.

So it would appear that it was black and not manc as some apologists would appear desperate to be the case.
Mail are also refusing to comment on the two articles Sterling referred to to in his post.

Fuck them.

Are you giving the Mail clicks?

est1892 > Football > General Football