It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 17-08-08, 12:54 AM   #1
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Tottenham Hotspur

With the presence of Spurs fan Sisterstiffticket on the forum for the season, I thought it'd be interesting to have this thread following Spurs' fortunes over the season.

My Spurs mate went to Boro today full of optimism - as usual, he is deflated come tea-time on day one.

What happened Sisterstiffs? Another false dawn? Have to say they looked very poor on the brief highlights on MOTD. Too lightweight, no holding midfielder or anyone capable of putting their foot in. Dos Santos is a gamble (one I don't think will pay off) and the jury is still out on Bent. Much more surgery required IMO.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 17-08-08, 01:12 AM   #2
Johnny
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso View Post
With the presence of Spurs fan Sisterstiffticket on the forum for the season, I thought it'd be interesting to have this thread following Spurs' fortunes over the season.

My Spurs mate went to Boro today full of optimism - as usual, he is deflated come tea-time on day one.

What happened Sisterstiffs? Another false dawn? Have to say they looked very poor on the brief highlights on MOTD. Too lightweight, no holding midfielder or anyone capable of putting their foot in. Dos Santos is a gamble (one I don't think will pay off) and the jury is still out on Bent. Much more surgery required IMO.
Too many new players learning how to gel together?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 03:28 AM   #3
-V-
Paisley

Every man and his dog can see that Tottenham need to sign atleast 1 quality defensive midfielder. Their midfield is far far too lightweight. They will win alot of their home games but they will struggle away from home and against the top 4.
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:12 AM   #4
Exiled_red
Paisley

From what I saw on MOTD it wasn't just a defensive midfielder they lacked their defense looked dodgy too, at times they were being torn apart.
Old 17-08-08, 10:44 AM   #5
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Usual story for us I'm afraid. Lots of quality players but no bloody backbone. Lots of posts by you lot pointed out our desperate need for a DM and I agreed wholeheartedly.

I think Modric will find it tough for the first half of the season. We'll see the best of him later on. Jenas. Didn't I tell you he'd end up as captain and being the main man. Fuck knows why managers don't see stuff fans see.

Dawson started where he left off last year and looked shot through.

Gomes in goal looks the buisness which is good because we're gonna need him!

I appreciate this thread Shaggy! I'll add to it as time goes on but for now...same old same old...

"of all the seasons...of ALL the bloody seasons...

www.disclosureproject.org
Sisterstiffticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:47 AM   #6
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterstiffticket View Post
Usual story for us I'm afraid. Lots of quality players but no bloody backbone. Lots of posts by you lot pointed out our desperate need for a DM and I agreed wholeheartedly.

I think Modric will find it tough for the first half of the season. We'll see the best of him later on. Jenas. Didn't I tell you he'd end up as captain and being the main man. Fuck knows why managers don't see stuff fans see.

Dawson started where he left off last year and looked shot through.

Gomes in goal looks the buisness which is good because we're gonna need him!

I appreciate this thread Shaggy! I'll add to it as time goes on but for now...same old same old...
Looked to me like they targeted Modric from the off, never gave him any time to hurt them, someone was always at him.

Seemed to work too, but it's just one game, and his first in the prem, so can't really say every side will be able to do the same yet.

I was well surprised at this result.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:51 AM   #7
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Unfortunately Red...I wasn't. But good point about Modric. But considering where we are aiming to be, we just lost to a Middlesborough side that I reckon will be mid table at best.

Still...Win the next game and all will be on the way up again!

Old 17-08-08, 10:54 AM   #8
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

Jenas and Modric isn't a strong enough central midfield and it's easy to overrun. You need a strong DM, perhaps even two and move Modric behind Bent if you want to get the best from him.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:55 AM   #9
Darth Marty
Quite Contrary

Too early yet but id say that the skillful players which have been purchased may well need a few months to get used to the hustle and bustle of the prem. You will still take 5th comfortably, even if you start your season in december! The berbatov issue needs resolving asap.
Darth Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:57 AM   #10
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

Aston Villa are a much better team than Tottenham and I think Portsmouth are too. Spurs won't get 5th in my opinion.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:57 AM   #11
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterstiffticket View Post
Unfortunately Red...I wasn't. But good point about Modric. But considering where we are aiming to be, we just lost to a Middlesborough side that I reckon will be mid table at best.

Still...Win the next game and all will be on the way up again!
We were close to being in the same boat, but for the class of Torres, ffs our whole performance was disjointed, Keane & Torres...what happened to that superb pairing, made for each other??

But as you say it's just one game, and when the Scum & the Chavs get beat later all will be well, oh lest i forget...Arsenal were shite too really.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 10:57 AM   #12
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marty View Post
Too early yet but id say that the skillful players which have been purchased may well need a few months to get used to the hustle and bustle of the prem. You will still take 5th comfortably, even if you start your season in december! The berbatov issue needs resolving asap.
...I love you Darth. I shall try and take some of your optimism mate. I feel better already!

Old 17-08-08, 11:02 AM   #13
-V-
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Aston Villa are a much better team than Tottenham and I think Portsmouth are too. Spurs won't get 5th in my opinion.
I think it will be between Villa and Spurs. Everton will struggle badly this year and will end up bottom half

Portsmouth however won't do as well as some people think. I think Pompeys midfield is really really poor. Major weakness for them and i think Chelsea will overrun them in midfield big time today
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 11:38 AM   #14
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Why on earth is Jenas captain? Surely Woodgate would be more inspirational? Anyway, what Spurs need is one fit centreback and a holding player like everyone else has mentioned. Juande also needs to sort the system. For me, he can't pick both Dos Santos and Modric and play them in the middle. They are both too lightweight and mentally might not be there until next year.
Joe King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 11:59 AM   #15
wiw
Paisley

I thought Modric was more of a hole player then a CM ?
Old 17-08-08, 12:06 PM   #16
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
I thought Modric was more of a hole player then a CM ?

He played in the middle yesterday and wandered towards the right

Last edited by Joe King; 17-08-08 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fuck off shaggy haha
Old 17-08-08, 12:07 PM   #17
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

wandered

Old 17-08-08, 12:07 PM   #18
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Whats with Bentley's hair?
Old 17-08-08, 12:16 PM   #19
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Did Ramos have a defensive midfielder in his Sevilla sides? I wonder whether he is attempting to use a more Spanish style holding midfielder system where the aim of those player is to be open to take the ball from defense and then rapidly move it up the pitch. I can see that Jenas/Modric have many of the qualities needed to make that work. I agree though that in the PL they lack the necessary physicality and at the very least for such a system to work you require a really solid back 4 which Spurs have yet to develop.

I think Dawson has always been over rated. I suspect he would be decent enough with an experienced leader to do the thinking for him but in general his positioning is woeful and his very error prone. Don't see all that many people bemoaning our failure to sign him any more certainly. I wonder whether Dos Santos will eventually suffer the same fate. It's odd how no one remembers the signings they whinged for us to get for ages when they turn out to be duds.
Old 17-08-08, 12:34 PM   #20
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Great points dww...I have to agree though, I think Villa will be the best bet for 5th. I thought that when O'Neill took over it would take him 2 years to build. He's had that now and is ready to go.

Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 17-08-08, 12:34 PM   #21
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tover View Post
Whats with Bentley's hair?
He looks Georgeous!

Old 17-08-08, 12:48 PM   #22
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
Did Ramos have a defensive midfielder in his Sevilla sides? I wonder whether he is attempting to use a more Spanish style holding midfielder system where the aim of those player is to be open to take the ball from defense and then rapidly move it up the pitch. I can see that Jenas/Modric have many of the qualities needed to make that work. I agree though that in the PL they lack the necessary physicality and at the very least for such a system to work you require a really solid back 4 which Spurs have yet to develop.

I think Dawson has always been over rated. I suspect he would be decent enough with an experienced leader to do the thinking for him but in general his positioning is woeful and his very error prone. Don't see all that many people bemoaning our failure to sign him any more certainly. I wonder whether Dos Santos will eventually suffer the same fate. It's odd how no one remembers the signings they whinged for us to get for ages when they turn out to be duds.
Wasn't it Poulsen?
Old 17-08-08, 12:50 PM   #23
Rigadon
Dalglish

Quote:
Jenas and Modric isn't a strong enough central midfield and it's easy to overrun. You need a strong DM, perhaps even two and move Modric behind Bent if you want to get the best from him.
I think Didi Hamann could help Spurs in the short-term.
Old 17-08-08, 02:32 PM   #24
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:

As wiw said, it was Poulsen and also Keita. They were set up like Liverpool under Rafa 05-06.
Old 17-08-08, 02:37 PM   #25
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Why we already love Bentley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8GX_2srxw

Great interview. Pulling up in a car to ask if he could sign a Bentley shirt.

Love the geezer.

One girl on the board calls him a 15m Ken doll. and she wants one!

A defo legend in the making.

Old 17-08-08, 02:39 PM   #26
Joe King
Hodgsoned

What a nonce If Ronald McDildo wasn't in the league, this guy would win poof of the year
Old 17-08-08, 02:44 PM   #27
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

but he's beautiful! Why, even Dave himself says so.

Old 17-08-08, 02:45 PM   #28
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
Wasn't it Poulsen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tover View Post
As wiw said, it was Poulsen and also Keita. They were set up like Liverpool under Rafa 05-06.
So would they be in the Alonso mould of holding player then?
Old 17-08-08, 02:46 PM   #29
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Keita was very much like Sissoko but technically better, Poulsen, yes, very much like Alonso.
Old 17-08-08, 02:48 PM   #30
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

Quote:

Never mind all that. Is'nt David Lovely!

Old 17-08-08, 06:03 PM   #31
Parm
Skipinder

Quote:
yup, play a similar system to us, 2 holding, let modric, dos santos and bentely roam behind bent and that looks a lot better.
BerbTOV LOOKED DISGRACEFUL THOUGH, THE SOONER YOU FLOG HIM THE BETTER, WHAT A POOR ATTITUDE

"Who's your Daddy now?"

LFC Champions one season someday
Jurgen Klopp is just boss
Semi retired poster
twitter: @parmsahota
insta:@parm78
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 06:03 PM   #32
Parm
Skipinder

oops apologies for the capitals!

"Who's your Daddy now?"

LFC Champions one season someday
Jurgen Klopp is just boss
Semi retired poster
twitter: @parmsahota
insta:@parm78
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 06:14 PM   #33
Sisterstiffticket
Token Cockney

LOL...he got a 'warm' reception from the fans. My personal feeling is that as soon as someone wants to go, don't play them again. No matter how bloody good they are. I'd rather see a team of reserves fighting their arses off than a team of prima donas.

Old 17-08-08, 06:41 PM   #34
Matt
Happy-go-Lucky

Will Keane get a decent ovation when we go to the Lane?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 07:49 PM   #35
Elvoz
Hodgsoned

spurs will be bullied in so many games this year they have a team of fannys

i think they will stay up but if they finish 9th or higher i will be amazed
Elvoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 08:24 PM   #36
Ferrrrnando
Hodgsoned

I don't care one bit about Spurs.
Ferrrrnando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 08:27 PM   #37
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

I took particular enjoyment a couple of weeks ago from reading that Spurs forum and seeing about 75% of them claiming that they were better than us 'on paper' and utterly convinced that they'd not only push us for 4th place, but overtake us.
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 08:30 PM   #38
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
I took particular enjoyment a couple of weeks ago from reading that Spurs forum and seeing about 75% of them claiming that they were better than us 'on paper' and utterly convinced that they'd not only push us for 4th place, but overtake us.
My Spurs mate is the same and nowhere near as realistic as our Spurs poster. He likes to go through the 'strongest elevens' and compare - reckons they stronger. He also claims Ramos is a much better manager than Benitez, which to me is totally baseless given their comparative records.
Old 17-08-08, 08:34 PM   #39
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso View Post
My Spurs mate is the same and nowhere near as realistic as our Spurs poster. He likes to go through the 'strongest elevens' and compare - reckons they stronger. He also claims Ramos is a much better manager than Benitez, which to me is totally baseless given their comparative records.
Sounds like your mate is on that forum i saw

There were several 'player for player' comparisons, a bit like this:

Gomes > Reina
Hutton > Finnan
King > Carragher
Dawson > Agger
Modric > Kuyt
Jenas < Gerrard
Huddleston > Mascherano ( )
Bentley > Babel
Santos > Keane
Berbatov = Torres
Ramos > Benitez

Therefore, they were convinved that they'd be taking our place in the top four.

As i said before:

I wish i could find which forum it was, but i dont remember. Someone posted a link to it on here, but i cant remember what thread that was on.
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 08:47 PM   #40
Matt
Happy-go-Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Sounds like your mate is on that forum i saw

There were several 'player for player' comparisons, a bit like this:

Gomes > Reina
Hutton > Finnan
King > Carragher
Dawson > Agger
Modric > Kuyt
Jenas < Gerrard
Huddleston > Mascherano ( )
Bentley > Babel
Santos > Keane
Berbatov = Torres
Ramos > Benitez

Therefore, they were convinved that they'd be taking our place in the top four.

As i said before:

I wish i could find which forum it was, but i dont remember. Someone posted a link to it on here, but i cant remember what thread that was on.
I'll have some of whatever that guy's on

I'll give them Modric and possibly Hutton (although he has much to prove) but the rest is hilarious.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football