It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 06-02-13, 11:58 AM   #81
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Gascoigne is apparently still surrounded by a lot of unsavoury sorts. He obviously needs to help himself but he needs loads of guidance and he'll never be able to do it on his own.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 06-02-13, 12:01 PM   #82
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post

And I echo those sentiments that he has to have the desire to sort his life out or this is just another waste of time.
This is also true of course.

I think he's been in that place tbh, wanting to be sorted and happy to do it, but for whatever reason he keeps relapsing, could simply be the company he's constantly keeping, and the environment he's in most days.

Time is the hardest gift of all to give to sick people in todays world, but it's what he needs most from people, but not ones who's first thought is to buy the lad a drink.

Sad to see anyone like that tbh.

Last edited by Vermilion; 06-02-13 at 12:13 PM.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 03:30 PM   #83
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Gascoigne is apparently still surrounded by a lot of unsavoury sorts. He obviously needs to help himself but he needs loads of guidance and he'll never be able to do it on his own.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 03:35 PM   #84
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Quote:
Fair point...he definitely needs separating from that lot.

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 05:47 PM   #85
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

I would hazard a guess that we will hear some tragic news about Gazza sooner rather than later. Such a character but i wonder is it just a case where the guy is beyond help.

P.S. My 2nd cousin nearly married Gazza long time ago.
Old 07-02-13, 03:35 PM   #86
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://blogs.thetimes.co.uk/section/...5de394c7c6d9e2

Quote:
Nothing black and white about Gazza

George Caulkin
February 07 2013 12:02PM

Pink, pudgy and dipped in chip-fat – I remember Paul Gascoigne. Hair shorn above the ears, gurning grin where teeth should be, shorts too tight – I remember him. As ugly as sin and as sexy as it, too, because with a ball at his boot-tips and running at full tilt, I’ve never seen football so muscular or beautiful. I remember Paul Gascoigne and, by God, I love him.

Close to the touchline, an off day at St James’ Park, I remember a shout of exasperation from nearby: “Pull your finger out Gazza, man, you fat bastard.” And he did, first one finger and then another, holding them aloft in a rigid V, with a “f*** off” and a wink thrown in. I don’t recall complaints to stewards, demands for an arrest, front-page exposés or questions in the House. I remember laughter.

I remember seeing him sprint forward from the centre circle. He looked too big for the pitch, let alone his strip, but when he moved, the ungainly became poetic, although it was a violent sort of artistry – elbows and sharp edges – that took him around, past and occasionally through defenders. It looked like human bagatelle, the ball clacking between his feet, and yet somehow under control, the only aspect of his life that was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcnVn0KVhCs

The North East could not contain him, but talent drained away frequently back then and when he moved from Newcastle United to Tottenham Hotspur, an axis shifted with him. He was such a draw, such a force. When he burst into Sir Bobby Robson’s England squad and refused to be ignored, I remember feeling differently about my country; it wasn’t just Thatcher’s country, it was Gazza’s. And he was ours.

That era of Robson’s; Gascoigne, Beardsley, Waddle, Robson, men from a region of coal, steel and shipbuilding. That felt like some sort of affirmation. I remember those tears – “the tears that watered the Turin pitch” as Sir Bobby would refer to them – because for people who adored football it brought a wider acceptance that our sport could bring emotion of a warming kind, even if the source was sadness. He brought change.

I remember a kind of role-reversal, Sir Bobby wiping moisture from his face when, in his last, ailing months, he spoke of Gascoigne’s mountainous heart, of how he’d tried to buy his former manager a disability scooter, an absurd act of generosity that he could ill afford. “Paul cried in the service of his country, but it’s far too soon for us to be shedding tears for him,” Robson said then. It still is.

“Newcastle saw the start of him, red-faced and chubby though he was back them,” Sir Bobby once wrote. “He could head the ball, pass it, dribble with it, shoot and he’d train all day. He drove his managers mad, of course, because he never lost that precociousness, his cocky stupidity, his willingness to do anything in search of a quick laugh. But he remained so popular because he was such an innocent.”

I’ve read about the daft stories. The sweet and heart-melting ones, like when he reported for training at Newcastle as a kid, found nobody there because the session had been cancelled and went carol singing to earn his bus fare home. The daftness that became a mania, a compulsion, the addictions which left his body wracked and mind addled. But I do not know if they are fact or legend and do not remember them, because I was not there.

I do not condone the lapses, the appalling behaviour, but do my best not to offer judgments on the private lives of others, for the simple reason that I wouldn’t want judgment on mine. There are exceptions to that, because I’m a hypocrite – Nile Ranger makes my every pore ache – but I try to disassociate Paul Gascoigne the player from whatever “Gazza” now represents.

I’ve written before about the temptations Tyneside offers. I grew up with footballers and flirted on the fringes of that extraordinary life and can remember how it felt to have a drink in your hand with faces turned in your direction, how money and alcohol and testosterone and danger can provide a headlong rush. How being close to home can also feel like Hollywood. It was a blast; less so, when I woke up in a hospital, scabbed and reeking

I’ve been thinking about Gascoigne this week, and it is only partially because of the latest series of photographs and tales, the drinking, and the slurring and another last chance. I thought of him because of Danny Graham, the centre forward who joined Sunderland from Swansea City last month and has been newsworthy because of his boyhood allegiance to Newcastle and the careless way he once expressed it.

I thought of how a career, a life, can be shaped by one action, one comment, one sip, one grave error or, in Gascoigne’s case, one horrendous tackle which led to a compendium of grief. “God knows what he would have gone on to achieve if he hadn’t flung himself so recklessly at Gary Charles, but I think people would have talked about him in the same breath as George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish,” Robson said.

The connection with Gascoigne is tenuous, at best, but you don’t always know what sets something off and I like the fact that Graham wanted to come home, that he pushed for it to happen in the knowledge that it might cause himself a ripple of difficulty. A story does not have to be set in stone, not yet, and an indiscretion about Sunderland in a Watford fanzine does not have to be his; I wish him a bucketload of goals.

It is difficult not to think about Gascoigne, because he still forms a frame of reference. As Ian Botham’s absence hung over England’s cricket team until the Ashes were claimed and a different standard set, Gascoigne is still the comparison we make; his potential and personality linger. When Jack Wilshere’s performance against Brazil is examined, it is for echoes of his predecessor.

Sir Bobby was a mentor and became a friend, but I’ve never met Gascoigne. I came close to it last May when the statue of Sir Bobby outside St James’, looking out towards the city and Co Durham, was unveiled. He was being interviewed there and I wanted to say something, about the memories he had given, but shied away. He looked shaky and wizened and I doubted he craved saccharine from a journalist.

As Gascoigne has diminished, he has continued to nourish my profession and I do not like that. This is not much of a blog and I apologise for it, because I have nothing to add about alcohol or refueling or treatment centres. I hope he gets well, but cannot begin to understand what responsibility lies with him or where others might have intervened. I’m not interested in casting blame. As I’ve made plain, tediously, I just remember him.

Gascoigne’s narrative is there, in black and white, and it cannot be altered, but I remember him from before then, shirt streaked in the same shades, sun-lamp tanned and shiny, barging across the grass, boisterous and bossy and delicate. I would give a lot to stop the clocks and plot a course back in time for one more of those moments when he hinted at unshackled possibility, but less for his sake. Him doing his job made me want to do mine.

Last edited by Shaggy; 07-02-13 at 03:41 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 03:38 PM   #87
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

What's happened to fucking embedding on this forum?

Why won't that fuckin YouTube link embed?!!

Last edited by Shaggy; 07-02-13 at 03:41 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 03:47 PM   #88
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Leave it to the professionals

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 03:48 PM   #89
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

How the fuck did you get that to embed with the weird youtu.be type link? Normally they don't work and you need the long link?

Anyway - that's a beautiful read on Gascoigne.
Old 07-02-13, 03:50 PM   #90
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
How the fuck did you get that to embed with the weird youtu.be type link? Normally they don't work and you need the long link?

Anyway - that's a beautiful read on Gascoigne.
is indeed ...as for the embedding on you tube click share under the video and copy ans pate the code .no need to use the link option either on here
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 03:52 PM   #91
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Weird - that normally doesn't work for me. Have to post the full long link.
Old 07-02-13, 03:54 PM   #92
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I still find it totally hit and miss embedding from Youtube on here, no matter what method I use

Oh and that Gazza clip! What a fucking player he was!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 03:59 PM   #93
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Amazing video - almost makes me want to cry. I completely idolised him. What an incredible player.

Oh and that story about him going carol singing to raise his bus fare home
Old 07-02-13, 04:08 PM   #94
RichC
Meh

I'd almost forgotten how special he was as a footballer, remember that 91 freekick against Arsenal so well

I hope he finds some sort of peace within himself.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 04:11 PM   #95
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

So do I.

Vividly remember watching it - on the sofa, loads of pop and crisps. I was obviously a Red but such was my love for Gazza I wanted them to win. I was hugely excited just by the chance of getting to see him play a big game. It was an amazing free kick. Likewise I remember the final v Forest. That tackle. As the article says it's that one moment which was the catalyst for the downward spiral. He was so fucking pumped that day.
Old 07-02-13, 04:11 PM   #96
Tee
El Pistolero

He scored an absolutely amazing goal for Lazio IIRC, dancing through almost the entire opposition before scoring. Was phenomenally gifted and had magical feet. Wasted though, should have done so much more with that talent.
Old 07-02-13, 04:14 PM   #97
RichC
Meh

Quote:
So do I.

Vividly remember watching it - on the sofa, loads of pop and crisps. I was obviously a Red but such was my love for Gazza I wanted them to win. I was hugely excited just by the chance of getting to see him play a big game. It was an amazing free kick. Likewise I remember the final v Forest. That tackle. As the article says it's that one moment which was the catalyst for the downward spiral. He was so fucking pumped that day.
Think we're the same sort of age and I remember that tackle as well, fuck me I've never forgotten the name of Gary Charles; nothing to do with his footballing skills but completely for the tackle Gazza made that started the spiral.
Old 07-02-13, 04:17 PM   #98
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post
I'd almost forgotten how special he was as a footballer, remember that 91 freekick against Arsenal so well

I hope he finds some sort of peace within himself.
Quote:
So do I.

That freekick was stunning.

Made better with the commentary.

'Oh I say!!'

Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 04:17 PM   #99
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Think we're the same sort of age and I remember that tackle as well, fuck me I've never forgotten the name of Gary Charles; nothing to do with his footballing skills but completely for the tackle Gazza made that started the spiral.
35?

Ironically Gary Charles ended up an alcoholic in all sorts of bother too.

I remember Gazza absolutely clattering Garry Parker just minutes before he flattened Charles. I think he got away with it - had he got a yellow, as he blatantly should've done, maybe he would never have steamed into Charles like that.
Old 07-02-13, 04:19 PM   #100
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
That freekick was stunning.

Made better with the commentary.

'Oh I say!!'

Gazza Freekick Spurs vs Arsenal 1991 FA Cup Semi Final - YouTube
Christ I didn't know I remembered the commentary but as I watched that just know I talked along with Barry Davies...."is Gascoigne going to have a crack....he is you know...........OHHHH I SAY!"
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 07-02-13, 04:19 PM   #101
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
is indeed ...as for the embedding on you tube click share under the video and copy ans pate the code .no need to use the link option either on here
That didn't work for me earlier. It seems to be really inconsistent.
Old 07-02-13, 04:20 PM   #102
RichC
Meh

Yup (well 2 months! )

Did he? I had no idea, he had issues as well.

Yeah he did didn't he, such a shame. That tackle was the catalyst for it all wasn't it.
Old 07-02-13, 04:33 PM   #103
Gaz
Shankly

Hadn't seen this image of him until one of the lads in work was just looking at some article on the mirrors website

I know I shouldn't laugh but
Old 07-02-13, 04:36 PM   #104
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

He looks like one of those old-before-their-time alcoholics you see milling around together in run-down parts of cities.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 04:40 PM   #105
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He looks like one of those old-before-their-time alcoholics you see milling around together in run-down parts of cities.
...Or Wetherspoons.
Old 07-02-13, 04:51 PM   #106
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Christ I didn't know I remembered the commentary but as I watched that just know I talked along with Barry Davies...."is Gascoigne going to have a crack....he is you know...........OHHHH I SAY!"

I remember all the John Motson ones (though not straight off the top of my head). I had all our official end of season videos on VHS (they are probably still at my dad's actually). Remember that one?

Old 07-02-13, 04:51 PM   #107
dom9
Ant Pisser

That's got a different cover to my one.
Old 07-02-13, 04:53 PM   #108
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Yep I remember loads of those commentaries.

"Barnes.....AND STILL BARNES! That's a fabulous individual goal from John Barnes"

Back on Gazza....I remember him being amazing throughout all that Cup run they had in 1991. I have vivid memories of going round to my mates house to watch them play Notts County...live on BBC1 one Sunday afternoon. Gazza scored. He'd also scored a wonderful solo goal in an earlier round....possibly v Oxford.
Old 07-02-13, 04:54 PM   #109
RichC
Meh

I had this watched it sooooo many times

Old 07-02-13, 04:56 PM   #110
Fredo

The one memory which will probably remain for me is the moment he cried when England got eliminated from the quarter finals vs Belgium in 1990. Broke my heart that one.
Old 07-02-13, 04:59 PM   #111
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigey View Post
The one memory which will probably remain for me is the moment he cried when England got eliminated from the quarter finals vs Belgium in 1990. Broke my heart that one.
Haha. He delivered the perfect free kick v Belgium for Platt to volley home in the 120th minute.

He cried v West Germany. I cried too. I was still crying the morning after and my Dad said "don't worry son, there's many more of these to come, you'll get used to it"
Old 07-02-13, 05:00 PM   #112
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
I had this watched it sooooo many times

I had that - and the Mighty Reds VHS which had the full 90 minutes of the Notts Forest demolition.
Old 07-02-13, 05:01 PM   #113
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
I had that - and the Mighty Reds VHS which had the full 90 minutes of the Notts Forest demolition.
Same here.

Think we've had this discussion several times.

I also had Greavsie's 6 Of The Best
Old 07-02-13, 05:04 PM   #114
Fredo

Quote:
I must have watched that 100 times or more.
Old 07-02-13, 05:13 PM   #115
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Same here.

Think we've had this discussion several times.

I also had Greavsie's 6 Of The Best
Yup, I had 6 of the Best too.
Old 08-02-13, 02:03 PM   #116
Fernandinho
Where the bloody hell are ya?

What is that tackle you guys mentioned with Gascoigne? What happened after it?
Old 08-02-13, 02:09 PM   #117
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

In the Cup final in 1991 he was like a man possessed, steaming into tackles all over the place. He then flew into Gary Charles of Nottingham Forest and came off worse, much worse. He did his cruciate, was out for ages and it was all gradually downhill from there.

He obviously had his moments after that - plenty really, at Lazio, Rangers and for England - but he was never the same.
Old 08-02-13, 02:15 PM   #118
Assassin
Kloppite

I remember that game, Gazza was like a crazed animal. In hindsight, I wonder if he was on something during that game
Old 08-02-13, 02:19 PM   #119
red g
Paisley

Quote:
35?

Ironically Gary Charles ended up an alcoholic in all sorts of bother too.

I remember Gazza absolutely clattering Garry Parker just minutes before he flattened Charles. I think he got away with it - had he got a yellow, as he blatantly should've done, maybe he would never have steamed into Charles like that.
Not surprised He was a right bellend., Him and Collymore were a right pair of arrogant pricks., That night Ulrika slapped Collymore I was there and he just laughed.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 02:21 PM   #120
rodo
Shankly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...X_af6Rm3k#t=7s

est1892 > Football > General Football