It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-01-18, 09:38 PM   #1
fidget
Dalglish
 
fidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,921
VAR thread

I know Bob's a big fan but I'm not so sure.
Slows the game down and makes it all feel a bit odd.
Thoughts?
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 27-01-18, 09:41 PM   #2
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 45,669
It will get more efficient as time goes by. I think it's OK. I'm glad snide fouls like the pull on Salah are going to get picked up.
__________________
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Last edited by Kenneth; 27-01-18 at 09:43 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-18, 09:43 PM   #3
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 29,673
It definitely needs to be used more efficiently, and maybe a 'time off' aspect like in Rugby, but it will work.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-18, 09:45 PM   #4
McDermotX
Paisley
 
McDermotX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 27,763
I enjoy all the rigmarole around it to be fair.......players wanting to bundle over to look at the screen, arguing things right in front of their face, refs taking an age while looking at the screen despite it being obvious, players calling for every little incident to be questioned, more than a couple West Brom players lording it to the ref after Bobby missed the peno etc etc
__________________
“He did well at first, but then he went down like a big whinge-bag.”
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 12:58 AM   #5
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,042
motm today
__________________
removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all.
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 07:00 PM   #6
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 36,728
I think they need to be clearer about it's use and what is going on and when it is to be used, I know that the VAR got all the decisions right yesterday so I suppose it was justified but there seemed to be a lot of decisions referred, did the referee really miss all those or was it a lack of confidence in his ability or a desire to get things right or what?

It seems like they still want the referees to make the decision hence why the referee has to go over to the tunnel (or whatever) to watch it on the TV. What happens if the tunnel is at the far end of the ground rather than on the halfway line, that would take even longer to sort out. Surely he should be told the decision to make over the microphone.

I also feel that the players and the fans need to have a better idea what is going on
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 07:13 PM   #7
rodo
Shankly
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,115
shite at the actual match as you have no idea what they are looking at
__________________
Oh I say his vision there was lovely
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 07:51 PM   #8
Barnie7
Houllier
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 374
Is the same in Germany, it’s so frustrating.

We had a situation recently between Freiburg vs Hertha (i think) , where there was a Foul in the penalty area but the ref waved play on...over a Minute later he stopped the game & gave the penalty...everybody was shocked & frustrated that it took so long.
Barnie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 07:53 PM   #9
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy
 
Red_Polo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
shite at the actual match as you have no idea what they are looking at


This was completely predictable. It only works well if fans are keyed into what's going on. If you get to watch the same angles, and hear the decision making process it works a million times better, which is why it works in rugby.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 09:24 PM   #10
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 36,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post


This was completely predictable. It only works well if fans are keyed into what's going on. If you get to watch the same angles, and hear the decision making process it works a million times better, which is why it works in rugby.
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 10:15 PM   #11
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 29,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post


This was completely predictable. It only works well if fans are keyed into what's going on. If you get to watch the same angles, and hear the decision making process it works a million times better, which is why it works in rugby.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 12:11 PM   #12
Yozza
Shankly
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,746
I hated the players getting involved indicating that the ref should be looking at the VAR

I've heard it's a yellow card offence for players to do that - Ref's need to be stronger about it...
__________________
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 03:10 PM   #13
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion
 
RedReet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
I enjoy all the rigmarole around it to be fair.......players wanting to bundle over to look at the screen, arguing things right in front of their face, refs taking an age while looking at the screen despite it being obvious, players calling for every little incident to be questioned, more than a couple West Brom players lording it to the ref after Bobby missed the peno etc etc



I thought it was quite exciting.

People say it breaks the game up, but there is more tension and excitement in those few mins than there is watching us pass the ball about in midfield while the opposition sits back and lets us.

I also didn't really see what the big difference is between the ref consulting VAR, than a decision being given and players arguing with the ref for 5 mins about it or forcing him to go speak to the linesman.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 04:47 PM   #14
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,187
I like it and anything that lowers the chances of us getting fucked over by refs every week is brilliant, especially given it's a yearly occurrence at places like Old Trafford so I'd like it in the league. Any teething problems will hopefully be ironed out.

I'm very, very surprised Utd aren't fighting this actually, going to have an enormous impact on their yearly points totals if implemented correctly in the future.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 05:05 PM   #15
Daniel 7
Heretic
 
Daniel 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,351
My main criticism of it is in relaying it to the crowd at the game itself. I was at the WBA game and we didn't really know what was going on right up at the top of the main stand. There has to be some means of communicating it to fans, be it via tannoy or on the screens / scoreboards.

The other oddness was the amount of time added to the game for stopping and looking at VAR, which didn't seem to be adequately added at the end of each half. I think there were 4 minutes at the end of the first half on Saturday, which seemed way too short for the amount of normal stoppages plus VAR.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 07:31 PM   #16
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain
 
BobTheCharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,994
Absolutely hate it. It will quite possibly be the final straw in following football for me unless it improves dramatically.

It works ok in an offside decision, but football especially over here is fast paced. You literally almost get a pen at one end and the opposition score at the other. Offside is pretty much cut and dried, as is mistaken identity. Fouls and the like are opinion based and subjective, us lot on here don't agree even when it's our team. There's very few cut and dried. Take the lovren derby penalty. Nailed on for me. Cheating blue for many. Do you trust two refs to get it right and at what cost?

It's such a quick game, it's never going to work in a positive way for me. For me VAR made that game a farce and if I had paid sixty quid I'd want a refund for spoiling my entertainment.

Refs are going to end up referring everything for fear of looking a Cock.

This is my outlook, others will love it, like the ones who diss the fa cup as not being important.
__________________
Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back. Oscar Wilde
BobTheCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 07:59 PM   #17
rodo
Shankly
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Absolutely hate it. It will quite possibly be the final straw in following football for me unless it improves dramatically.

It works ok in an offside decision, but football especially over here is fast paced. You literally almost get a pen at one end and the opposition score at the other. Offside is pretty much cut and dried, as is mistaken identity. Fouls and the like are opinion based and subjective, us lot on here don't agree even when it's our team. There's very few cut and dried. Take the lovren derby penalty. Nailed on for me. Cheating blue for many. Do you trust two refs to get it right and at what cost?

It's such a quick game, it's never going to work in a positive way for me. For me VAR made that game a farce and if I had paid sixty quid I'd want a refund for spoiling my entertainment.

Refs are going to end up referring everything for fear of looking a Cock.

This is my outlook, others will love it, like the ones who diss the fa cup as not being important.
__________________
Oh I say his vision there was lovely
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-18, 12:21 AM   #18
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 29,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
My main criticism of it is in relaying it to the crowd at the game itself. I was at the WBA game and we didn't really know what was going on right up at the top of the main stand. There has to be some means of communicating it to fans, be it via tannoy or on the screens / scoreboards.

The other oddness was the amount of time added to the game for stopping and looking at VAR, which didn't seem to be adequately added at the end of each half. I think there were 4 minutes at the end of the first half on Saturday, which seemed way too short for the amount of normal stoppages plus VAR.


You have to have screens to make it engaging for the crowd.

Also may be worth doing it in the cricket/tennis way with challenges on certain incidents... Basically pens and offisides.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 02:11 PM   #19
Scratch
If you fail once....
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
My main criticism of it is in relaying it to the crowd at the game itself. I was at the WBA game and we didn't really know what was going on right up at the top of the main stand. There has to be some means of communicating it to fans, be it via tannoy or on the screens / scoreboards.

The other oddness was the amount of time added to the game for stopping and looking at VAR, which didn't seem to be adequately added at the end of each half. I think there were 4 minutes at the end of the first half on Saturday, which seemed way too short for the amount of normal stoppages plus VAR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post


You have to have screens to make it engaging for the crowd.

Also may be worth doing it in the cricket/tennis way with challenges on certain incidents... Basically pens and offisides.
Is there any reason why, like in Rugby league, the crowd cannot be shown the same images that the Video Ref is viewing, so at least they can see what is happening and will be more understanding of tight decisions and the time taken to process them?
__________________
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 02:15 PM   #20
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Is there any reason why, like in Rugby league, the crowd cannot be shown the same images that the Video Ref is viewing, so at least they can see what is happening and will be more understanding of tight decisions and the time taken to process them?
Wouldn't work at Anfield - no screens
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-03-18, 02:34 PM   #21
EwarWoo
Paisley
 
EwarWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Is there any reason why, like in Rugby league, the crowd cannot be shown the same images that the Video Ref is viewing, so at least they can see what is happening and will be more understanding of tight decisions and the time taken to process them?
IIRC way back when they stopped showing replays in stadiums as it incited a certain elements to get incited as they tend to do.

IMO no reason they can't show VAR as it's stuff being visibly "righted".
__________________
Stop wallowing ya gret sook.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 03:23 PM   #22
Scratch
If you fail once....
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Wouldn't work at Anfield - no screens
A slight drawback, but one easily rectified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
IIRC way back when they stopped showing replays in stadiums as it incited a certain elements to get incited as they tend to do.

IMO no reason they can't show VAR as it's stuff being visibly "righted".
Exactly, as it's already a decision being reviewed, let the crowd see the pictures too. Give them something to chat about whilst the pitch ref is conferring with the video ref.
__________________
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 03:27 PM   #23
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61,116
Where would you put the screens at Anfield?
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 11:06 PM   #24
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,042
need two screens, one at corner of kop and ms, one at corner of ar and cent.
__________________
removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all.
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 12:10 PM   #25
Gray
Dalglish
 
Gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,186
Someone posted this on Twitter, made me chuckle.


Son scores the winner, does a VAR signal in celebration, gets sent off, that goes to VAR, Son comes back on after the review, goal is chalked off, Son complains, gets sent off
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 10:26 PM   #26
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,291
Premier League clubs are not expected to introduce video assistant referees next season, even if football's lawmakers approve them on Saturday.
BBC
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-18, 09:14 AM   #27
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,291
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 10:01 PM   #28
Fivex
The Wisp
 
Fivex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,936
Wtf

A penalty was awarded after players had already left the pitch for half-time in a Bundesliga match between relegation rivals Mainz and Freiburg.

Referee Guido Winkmann called both sides back from the dressing room after consulting the video assistant referee (VAR) system and penalising Freiburg for handball.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791511
__________________
.
Coinbase (buy with card) | Binance (large caps) | Cryptopia (small caps) | Bitmex (leverage) | Coinigy (charts & portfolio tracking)

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 02:00 AM   #29
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 29,544
VAR is bloody stupid and slow. Just let the game flow and use it to catch dangerous play and clear offsides.

There should be a 20 second time limit and anything caught outside of that is invalid.

Retrospective red cards not included though.
__________________
I do match threads to the best of my ability.
foresterbloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 08:36 PM   #30
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously
 
Fredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31,036
Then you'd have wasted 20 seconds.
__________________
Are we winning?
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 08:47 PM   #31
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 45,669
The rule is that it's only used in cases of a clear error by the officials on the pitch, so the ref already knows the VAR thinks he's dropped a bollock. What is the point of the ref reviewing the video, just tell him he was wrong via his earpiece and he can correct it straight away?
__________________
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 09:48 PM   #32
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 36,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
The rule is that it's only used in cases of a clear error by the officials on the pitch, so the ref already knows the VAR thinks he's dropped a bollock. What is the point of the ref reviewing the video, just tell him he was wrong via his earpiece and he can correct it straight away?
So that everyone gets the illusion that it's only the referee making the decisions
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 07:52 PM   #33
peterbread
Souness
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 43
I don’t know if any Aussie a league fans will agree with me but as much as it seems to have worked ok here I still don’t like it especially when actually at the games.

There have been instances where you just don’t know what’s going on because they don’t communicate properly.

Every home game for Brisbane I’ve been at as soon as the VAR is said to be involved in the game it’s booed. I’m biased but apart from maybe one or two instances it seems to have gone against us.

Just let the refs ref and let the game flow. Too many times there have been four or five minute stoppages and it’s just not worth it. Isn’t that human error whether by players or refs part of the game?

We have it in all the sports down here and it just seems to confuse and frustrate people
peterbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 10:54 PM   #34
Fernandinho
Where the bloody hell are ya?
 
Fernandinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,542
I can see your point mate, but as an A League fan I would rather they get the decision right. They desperately just need to speed it up though so it doesn’t take so long to make a call.
__________________
96 Never Forgotten
Fernandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 01:24 AM   #35
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 29,544
VAR should be for offsides and violent conduct. That's it.
__________________
I do match threads to the best of my ability.
foresterbloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 02:44 AM   #36
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 45,669
You don't want to see a clamp down on diving then?
__________________
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 05:19 AM   #37
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 29,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
You don't want to see a clamp down on diving then?
Of course but why not prioritise an easy to solve problem (offsides) and a dangerous one (violent conduct).

Once referees are used to VAR then they can start clamping down in other areas of the game.
__________________
I do match threads to the best of my ability.
foresterbloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 07:41 AM   #38
Scratch
If you fail once....
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,245
They should get rid of the need for the Ref to have to review incidents on the screen as well. The video ref decision in those matters should be final, after all he is also a professional referee so should view the game the same way.
__________________
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 07:52 AM   #39
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 36,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
They should get rid of the need for the Ref to have to review incidents on the screen as well. The video ref decision in those matters should be final, after all he is also a professional referee so should view the game the same way.
I think the issue with that is they want the referee to make the final decision so the whole game is refereed by the same person. VAR is supposed to make things more consistent but it's still a game of opinions and two referees will have different opinions on the same incident.

Something does need doing though not only to improve the game but to improve VAR because at the moment it is almost unusable. Imagine if the ref had been able to use it last night there would probably have been nearly 10 incidents to review given the time it takes it would have been midnight by the time the game finished
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 06:09 PM   #40
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj
 
Leyton388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,062
It's shit and needs fucking off
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > Football > General Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.