It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 01-05-20, 04:12 PM   #8561
Exiled_red
Paisley

I was born in the early 80's and supposedly got into football and LFC in the mid 80's, I remember as a kid my favourite players of the late 80's Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley so ca 1987-88 and the cup finals and league titles around that time (and of course Hillsborough). I can't remember much about the football other than it was better than what other teams played at the time, looking back I was somewhat spoiled as that team would have been (until this season) undisputedly the best LFC side.

Obviously the game was alot simpler less tactical and more physical. I was reading an article last week about England Argentina in 1986 https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-at-mexico-86 Which I found the comments about the way Maradona played in Italy and the way the game changed when Barnes was brought on, rather interesting as in insight into football at that time.

It's only when you look back now that you realise what an effect the back pass rule had on the game, to a certain extent it was much easier to kill time and give players a rest when the keeper could pick up backpasses, just the removal of that rule has probably significantly increased the amount of football played in a match and the fitness required.

Again the physical nature of the game back then was very different, if you look at the amount of kickings that players like Maradona and Barnes took you can see that it is a very different game now, the removal of that physical nature has allowed players to become more skillful. I think the game was such that you probably couldn't get by just by being an athlete or skillful player because you had to have the mentality to have lumps kicked out of you week after week and still come back for more. I wonder how many skillful players didn't make it in that era because they couldn't handle the physical nature of the game
Old 01-05-20, 08:07 PM   #8562
Corndog
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I was born in the early 80's and supposedly got into football and LFC in the mid 80's, I remember as a kid my favourite players of the late 80's Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley so ca 1987-88 and the cup finals and league titles around that time (and of course Hillsborough). I can't remember much about the football other than it was better than what other teams played at the time, looking back I was somewhat spoiled as that team would have been (until this season) undisputedly the best LFC side.

Obviously the game was alot simpler less tactical and more physical. I was reading an article last week about England Argentina in 1986 https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-at-mexico-86 Which I found the comments about the way Maradona played in Italy and the way the game changed when Barnes was brought on, rather interesting as in insight into football at that time.

It's only when you look back now that you realise what an effect the back pass rule had on the game, to a certain extent it was much easier to kill time and give players a rest when the keeper could pick up backpasses, just the removal of that rule has probably significantly increased the amount of football played in a match and the fitness required.

Again the physical nature of the game back then was very different, if you look at the amount of kickings that players like Maradona and Barnes took you can see that it is a very different game now, the removal of that physical nature has allowed players to become more skillful. I think the game was such that you probably couldn't get by just by being an athlete or skillful player because you had to have the mentality to have lumps kicked out of you week after week and still come back for more. I wonder how many skillful players didn't make it in that era because they couldn't handle the physical nature of the game
Good point about the backpass rule. I saw Craig Johnston play a 25 yard lofted pass back to Bruce grobbelar which landed around thigh height. You’d get slated if you tried that to a keeper today for understandable reasons.

Physicality is an interesting point because I see what you’re getting at with the more lenient interpretation of the rules but on the other side of the coin the players nowadays are in far better condition with far more muscle mass about them.

In an LFC - United game I saw, Haughton and Strachan were tearing it up on either right flank with their turn of pace and dribbling. I bet both of them would have scored far more in today’s era as they’d be in at RW not on the right side of a 4.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 03:17 PM   #8563
Charly
Dalglish

Molby was fantastic, but I am not sure he could make it at the top level today, certainly not in a Klopp team.

Doesnt change the fact he was amazing, despite his portly stature... In fact he was amazing because of it.

Barnes is probably the obvious player from the 80s who I think would transfer to the modern game as is.
Old 02-05-20, 03:34 PM   #8564
RichC
Meh

I’d think Rushie would suit our game in this era.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:57 PM   #8565
rodo
Shankly

Old 03-05-20, 11:28 PM   #8566
Corndog
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Molby was fantastic, but I am not sure he could make it at the top level today, certainly not in a Klopp team.

Doesnt change the fact he was amazing, despite his portly stature... In fact he was amazing because of it.

Barnes is probably the obvious player from the 80s who I think would transfer to the modern game as is.

The thing in common with all the players I thought who could make it today was their technical ability, they could all use both feet very well . That's why I say molby, for sure they'd all need better physical attributes.

That's also why I'd say Nicol wouldn't have a chance, despite being one of the bigger fellas on the field.

McMahon was also so impressive in the games I saw because he used both feet so well and made some really nice runs after offloading the ball. Playing one twos with the left and receiving the return with the right.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 02:50 PM   #8567
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Sport
Newcastle United takeover: Fans vow to raise Saudi issues despite support for deal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52550879

Are you fucking serious? They're not going to be influenced by a supporters club to change their long entrenched patterns of behaviour that show a predilection for solving problems with violence, and an absolute disregard for the most basic of human rights, are they?

This is nothing but rationalising the decision to accept complete erosion of basic values in return for lucre. If this goes ahead then fuck them. Shameful.
Old 06-05-20, 03:42 PM   #8568
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Of course they support the deal
Old 06-05-20, 05:44 PM   #8569
ChesterDave
Paisley

'dead' football player not actually dead

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/52564444
Old 06-05-20, 05:51 PM   #8570
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52550879

Are you fucking serious? They're not going to be influenced by a supporters club to change their long entrenched patterns of behaviour that show a predilection for solving problems with violence, and an absolute disregard for the most basic of human rights, are they?

This is nothing but rationalising the decision to accept complete erosion of basic values in return for lucre. If this goes ahead then fuck them. Shameful.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 06:07 PM   #8571
Liverpool
Paisley

I know they hate Ashley but wouldn't want them new owners anywhere near us.

I think if I was a Newcastle fan i'd be holding out for someone else to come in but that's not happened in all the years the club has been for sale. Once they are sold to Saudis theres no going back. Surprised by the glee of their fans.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 06:32 PM   #8572
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

I know we are all/mostly hypocrites regarding football in some way but it's pretty funny/sick how in a few weeks they've gone from calling Ashley pure evil because he furloughed, raised the prices at sports direct etc to having a go at Amnesty International, saying off pitch stuff owners do doesn't matter, Saudi flags as avatars on social media etc etc.

Mind you, even if they didn't want them they'd do fuck all, their Ashley protests pretty much amounted to singing "you fat cockney bastard" at him after they'd just paid £40 for a ticket.

Think they are going to end up wildly disappointed with this, not expecting another City at all and it's nowhere near as easy to do now anyway.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 06:57 PM   #8573
Exiled_red
Paisley

Have they taken the fit and proper owner's test yet
Old 07-05-20, 12:05 AM   #8574
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Have they taken the fit and proper owner's test yet
Is there anyone fit and proper at the FA to do the test

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 10:35 PM   #8575
ChesterDave
Paisley

Seems to be increasing noise from Scotland saying the SFA was intimidating for votes to go the way they wanted.
Old 16-05-20, 03:58 PM   #8576
Zapater
Dalglish

Bundesliga 'back'. Dortmund 4 ahead in the derby against Schalke. Fantastic finish for the 4th from Guerreiro.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 05:27 PM   #8577
Liverpool
Paisley

cant be arsed with non-Liverpool football tbh, I reserve my neutral support to tinpot nations in the World Cup and whoever is playing United.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 06:51 PM   #8578
ChesterDave
Paisley

I'm the same. I honestly think 2018 world cup was the last time I watched the full match of a game not involving Liverpool. Domestically possibly even a whole season before that.
Old 18-05-20, 08:07 PM   #8579
Cormack74
Shankly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52704448

Chelsea and England winger Callum Hudson-Odoi was arrested on suspicion of rape in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Police and an ambulance were called to an address in London at 03:53 BST to a report of an unwell woman.

When emergency services attended, a women reported that she was raped. She was taken to hospital.

Hudson-Odoi, 19, was arrested at the scene and has since been released from custody.

He has been bailed to return on a date in mid-June as enquiries continue.

Chelsea have declined to comment.

Hudson-Odoi, who has three England caps and in September signed a new five-year contract with Chelsea, was the first Premier League player to test positive for coronavirus.

He made a full recovery and, like other Chelsea players, is waiting to return to training before any proposed restart to the season.

Some reports have suggested the woman involved visited Hudson-Odoi from another address.

Lockdown rules specify that only one person from each household may meet as long as they remain outdoors and keep two metres apart.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-20, 08:11 PM   #8580
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Some reports have suggested the woman involved visited Hudson-Odoi from another address.
I fear that too many football fans have neanderthal views and will focus on this to criticise her rather than focus on him allowing any visit... Or the allegation of rape.
Old 19-05-20, 11:45 PM   #8581
ChesterDave
Paisley

Looking at Twitter there is something-a -brewin' involving Swindon Town and by the sounds of it Gareth Barry
Old 19-05-20, 11:53 PM   #8582
Fivex
The Wisp

Sort of gutted i decided to find out for myself
Old 28-05-20, 03:49 PM   #8583
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Premier League to restart on 17th June!
Old 28-05-20, 03:52 PM   #8584
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 03:58 PM   #8585
ChesterDave
Paisley

As the City Arsenal game is up first as a re-arranged game the fixture list could still see us win the league without kicking a ball
Old 28-05-20, 08:07 PM   #8586
Jas
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
As the City Arsenal game is up first as a re-arranged game the fixture list could still see us win the league without kicking a ball
Dave, this is Arsenal we are talking about
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 09:27 PM   #8587
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Dave, this is Arsenal we are talking about
What was I thinking!
Old 28-05-20, 10:46 PM   #8588
Cormack74
Shankly

25 free to air games to be shown by Sky and 4 on the BBC apparently
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 05:51 PM   #8589
ChesterDave
Paisley

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52508684

Got 14 (12 without the clues) in the first minute without the clues then gave up.
Old 29-05-20, 08:13 PM   #8590
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 09:02 PM   #8591
S-RED
Dalglish

16/16
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 08:22 AM   #8592
Exiled_red
Paisley

15/16

I also missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Old 30-05-20, 12:34 PM   #8593
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

16/16 with 2 mins to spare
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 01:11 PM   #8594
Rigadon
Shankly

16/16. Question 6
Old 31-05-20, 06:51 PM   #8595
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Paderborn 1-6 Dortmund

Hatrick for Sancho
Old 31-05-20, 08:15 PM   #8596
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Paderborn 1-6 Dortmund

Hatrick for Sancho
Just watched the highlights - so many good players and Sancho is such a talent
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 08:18 PM   #8597
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Just watched the highlights - so many good players and Sancho is such a talent

Would desperately love us to sign him, but chances have got to be seriously slim.
Old 01-06-20, 08:32 AM   #8598
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Paderborn 1-6 Dortmund

Hatrick for Sancho
Impressive but BobTheCharmer has watched him 4 times and doesn't like the way he runs so it's a HARD no for me.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 08:34 AM   #8599
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Impressive but BobTheCharmer has watched him 4 times and doesn't like the way he runs so it's a HARD no for me.
Seems fair. Are we talking Henderson style going to get injured running like that, or just plain old looks like an effeminate T Rex a la Sterling?
Old 01-06-20, 08:43 AM   #8600
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Ha, I don't think he's all that regardless of his shit himself running style. Big step up from smashing shit teams in germany and being worth £100m. In his cameo against Bayern he offered nothing in fact he went hiding. I don't believe the hype. Anyway best to learn to hate the cunt early as he'll end up at utd anyway.

est1892 > Football > General Football