It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 14-08-19, 11:02 PM   #441
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Yeh Soz about that...
Old 14-08-19, 11:03 PM   #442
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
It was something the Turkish FA set up. Him and many other children missing limbs had a kick about with the team a couple of days ago. Salah was lobbing the ball up and the poor lad was heading it back to him.

The unbearables banner

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:03 PM   #443
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That explains a lot... I just though that for some reason they only brought legless kids into this whole event.
Old 14-08-19, 11:03 PM   #444
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That explains a lot... I just though that for some reason they only brought legless kids into this whole event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Got no sound on the stream so was wondering. Like a new signing

I'm sure there's a story about why he was invited etc, but looked to be absolutely beaming there when he got his Klopp hug.

(For one small, guilty, moment I feared Klopp was about to lift him up. )
Old 14-08-19, 11:03 PM   #445
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Buzzing with that!

Abraham the diving prick, couldn't have happened to a better person!

It's so important we keep this winning mentality up, its why I'd like to see us do well in the domestic cups with season. City look untouchable in the league but lets just rack up as many trophies as well can along the way.

Concerned about the performance overall though, the conditions won't have helped but these early signs aren't encouraging in terms of the tactical tweaks we've made.
Old 14-08-19, 11:04 PM   #446
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
It was something the Turkish FA set up. Him and many other children missing limbs had a kick about with the team a couple of days ago. Salah was lobbing the ball up and the poor lad was heading it back to him.
Old 14-08-19, 11:07 PM   #447
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Has any player had more European winners medals without playing for the first team than Brewster? Just asking..
See where he is at the end of his LFC career. It'll take alot to beat Pegguy Arphexad who finished his LFC career with more medals than games played.
Old 14-08-19, 11:08 PM   #448
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Winners get £4 mill in total (both teams get £3 mill and the winners get and extra £1 mill)
I know. We had 3 already banked by turning up.

Anyway Adrian confirmed he touched Abraham so that shows everyone what VAR is up against. Everyone on here basically had confirmed no contact despite it not being clear and obvious either way therefore rendering VAR redundant.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:08 PM   #449
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Klopp

Giving it full Aaaaadddrriiiaaannn
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:10 PM   #450
Tatterdemalion
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
See where he is at the end of his LFC career. It'll take alot to beat Pegguy Arphexad who finished his LFC career with more medals than games played.
I didn't realise that.

Not having a go at the lad, just wondered is all.
Old 14-08-19, 11:11 PM   #451
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Klopp you legend
Old 14-08-19, 11:13 PM   #452
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I didn't realise that.

Not having a go at the lad, just wondered is all.
From wikipedia

Quote:
Arphexad won six medals with Liverpool, all as an unused substitute. These included three in Liverpool's treble winning 2000–01 season, where they won the FA Cup, the Football League Cup and the UEFA Cup. Two subsequent medals followed the following season as Liverpool claimed both the Charity Shield and the European Super Cup. In the 2001–02 season, he was the starting goalkeeper in the opening match that ended in a 2-1 win against West Ham United. His second and last league appearance for Liverpool was on 9 February 2002 in a 6-0 win against Ipswich Town, replacing Jerzy Dudek during the second half.

Arphexad earned a second League Cup winners medal in the 2002–03 season and was released by Liverpool that summer,
2 games and 6 medals
Old 14-08-19, 11:14 PM   #453
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post

Anyway Adrian confirmed he touched Abraham so that shows everyone what VAR is up against. Everyone on here basically had confirmed no contact despite it not being clear and obvious either way therefore rendering VAR redundant.
I pointed out that you can see Abraham's sock was rolled down to below his knee
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:16 PM   #454
Tatterdemalion
Shankly

Quote:
From wikipedia

2 games and 6 medals
Pegguy - what a ledge.
Old 14-08-19, 11:16 PM   #455
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
I pointed out that you can see Abraham's cock was rolled down to below his knee
Old 14-08-19, 11:16 PM   #456
baitman
Daddy day care

Some little entrepreneur, putting klopps head on rocky's body as we speak and banging the t shirts out by friday.
Adriannnnnnnnnn

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 14-08-19, 11:18 PM   #457
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
I pointed out that you can see Abraham's sock was rolled down to below his knee
Might not have read every post.
Old 14-08-19, 11:22 PM   #458
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Might not have read every post.
I wasnt going to mark you down
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:30 PM   #459
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

For me the problem is that without VAR (when the official has to make a decision) just because there is contact doesn't mean it's a pen. The VAR criteria is just to review the decision based on whether or not there is contact. There can be cases where there is contact but it isn't a penalty (and I think that this is one of them).

I'd be interested to know if the referee hadn't awarded a pen, but had sent it to VAR would VAR have given that as a pen? I don't think that it would.

So despite all this we don't have an answer to whether that challenge should be a penalty or not, because it seems likely that VAR would just back the ref on whatever they decided. In fact it seems we have some paradox where under the VAR guidelines we can confidently say that the referee didn't clearly get the decision wrong, but we can't say that they got it right either.
Old 14-08-19, 11:33 PM   #460
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
For me the problem is that without VAR (when the official has to make a decision) just because there is contact doesn't mean it's a pen. The VAR criteria is just to review the decision based on whether or not there is contact. There can be cases where there is contact but it isn't a penalty (and I think that this is one of them).

I'd be interested to know if the referee hadn't awarded a pen, but had sent it to VAR would VAR have given that as a pen? I don't think that it would.

So despite all this we don't have an answer to whether that challenge should be a penalty or not, because it seems likely that VAR would just back the ref on whatever they decided. In fact it seems we have some paradox where under the VAR guidelines we can confidently say that the referee didn't clearly get the decision wrong, but we can't say that they got it right either.
is VAR never going to over rule a ref to put things right, so does fergies magic cheque book still hold some sway?

Old 14-08-19, 11:34 PM   #461
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

There should be common sense when VAR is used. So look at all the angles, judge whether there was sufficient contact for a pen. VAR should review that and decide no pen.

It’s no different than Rugby. Though in Rugby you get to listen to the conversation between the ref and the VAR ref. All this bollocks with a team of refs off site is nonsense.

Interestingly arguably Adrian’s feet were off the line for the final pen, but that rule is absolute bullshit so thankfully it was ignored.
Old 14-08-19, 11:42 PM   #462
Fivex
The Wisp

Irony is I reckon most clubs would be fine with a 3 var call per game from the captains rule and the fans would too.. Crooks was right the other day - football canít be an exact science

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:44 PM   #463
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
Irony is I reckon most clubs would be fine with a 3 var call per game from the captains rule and the fans would too.. Crooks was right the other day - football canít be an exact science
Could work just stop the match clock and review. The only issue is what happens when can a team introduce an appeal? Has to be after a stop in play.
Old 14-08-19, 11:54 PM   #464
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:

I have some sympathy as I don't think it was a penalty either.

But anyone saying fuck VAR etc clearly doesn't understand the confines of clear and obvious. We had to have several reviews and wait until the end of the match before there was an admission of contact, the replays were inconclusive.

So the decision was a grey one IMO. But VAR had no right to over rule that decision.

VAR is only for clear and obvious reffing errors, not the final arbitrator for all major decisions, unfortunate as it is.
Old 14-08-19, 11:55 PM   #465
Fivex
The Wisp

Iíve not given it much thought but somethingís got to give, concessions made with atmosphere and game tempo and teams are still getting stiffed

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:57 PM   #466
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
is VAR never going to over rule a ref to put things right, so does fergies magic cheque book still hold some sway?
It will overrule the ref if they have been conned by a clear dive with no contact whatsoever.

But those cases are very rare. Most players are going to leave a leg trailing and ensure that there is contact, which essentially means that in those cases as you say VAR is just going to agree with whatever the referee decided, so is still at their mercy.
Old 15-08-19, 12:06 AM   #467
Phil
Benitez

https://ibb.co/9gRQp7y

Bobby complaining about the lack of confetti
Old 15-08-19, 12:06 AM   #468
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
For me the problem is that without VAR (when the official has to make a decision) just because there is contact doesn't mean it's a pen. .....

This whole 'contact on replays' being used to justify pens is a byproduct of the Sky Sports interpretation of football.
Nowhere in the rules of the sport will you see contact being used as justification for awarding a penalty.
An infringement by an opposing player is what's key.

Every week we see idiot pundits maintaining "oh, there's contact" or "you see he's running at pace". Arsebollocks.

Anyone who even remotely suggests that's a pen needs their head examined, and trying to justify if Adrian even laid a finger on his sock as reason enough to award said penalty needs beating about that head. In offhand terms, the term contact means appreciable intent by the player to stop an opponent, not whether or not the finger brushed a knee FFS.

There is no appreciable infringement by Adrian, there is no 'contact', the player does what they all do - tries to con a penalty out of the ref.
The ref fucked up, albeit in an somewhat far from uncommon manner as we see hundred of decisions over the years awarded in a similar vein. The difference here, is there is now a safety net in play for such decisions and one of its sole functions is to prevent game changing decisions.

That failed tonight. 'Game changing decision' trumps 'clear and obvious error' (the new shield for officials to be hidden behind). If I was that ref tonight, I think I'd be fuming that this happened, and more than thankful that the result went the way it did.

Last edited by McDermotX; 15-08-19 at 12:09 AM.
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 12:09 AM   #469
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post

This whole 'contact on replays' being used to justify pens is a byproduct of the Sky Sports interpretation of football.
Nowhere in the rules of the sport will you see contact being used as justification for awarding a penalty.
An infringement by an opposing player is what's key.

Every week we see idiot pundits maintaining "oh, there's contact" or "you see he's running at pace". Arsebollocks.

Anyone who even remotely suggests that's a pen needs their head examined, and trying to justify if Adrian even laid a finger on his sock as reason enough to award said penalty needs beating about that head. In offhand terms, the term contact means appreciable intent by the player to stop an opponent, not whether or not the finger brushed a knee FFS.

There is no appreciable infringement by Adrian, there is no 'contact', the player does what they all do - tries to con a penalty out of the ref.
The ref fucked up, albeit in an somewhat far from uncommon manner as we see hundred of decisions over the years awarded in a similar vein. The difference here, is there is now a safety net in play for such decisions and one of its sole functions is to prevent game changing decisions.

That failed tonight.
100% agree. There will be VAR decisions where it is difficult to gauge how much contact there was. Tonight was not one of those decisions and is exactly the sort of decision VAR is supposed to help with.

Taking time outs for VAR would be an idea as the whole thing feels rushed.
Old 15-08-19, 12:12 AM   #470
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I have some sympathy as I don't think it was a penalty either.

But anyone saying fuck VAR etc clearly doesn't understand the confines of clear and obvious. We had to have several reviews and wait until the end of the match before there was an admission of contact, the replays were inconclusive.

So the decision was a grey one IMO. But VAR had no right to over rule that decision.

VAR is only for clear and obvious reffing errors, not the final arbitrator for all major decisions, unfortunate as it is.
For the record I agree that the decision was the correct one within the guidelines for VAR, and you can't criticise the VAR officials for the decision that was made.

My issue with VAR has always been that it doesn't seem to be well thought through, and it is unclear what exactly they are trying to achieve. We can look at the Sterling offside and overrule the assistant who "clearly and/or obviously" missed Sterling's shoulder being a cm offside, but we can't determine that brushing someone's sock with your finger isn't enough to send them tumbling to the ground. To me that just seems a fairly large inconsistency as it suggests we want to get offsides perfect but these other elements of the game which you could argue are more important, well we aren't overly bothered about them

Last edited by Exiled_red; 15-08-19 at 12:15 AM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 12:22 AM   #471
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The replays were conclusive.

It’s bullshit they dont have access to all the angles? Where else are they getting their video feeds from? And if they struggle with that then how are they going to call dives where the forward draws contact more effectively?

At best that was a tech malfunction this evening. If they look at all of this e clips VAR rules that as no pen every day of the week.

Common sense has to be used with VAR.

Offsides are totally different decisions so different criteria applies.

Last edited by Buzzo; 15-08-19 at 12:25 AM.
Old 15-08-19, 12:23 AM   #472
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post

its the same pundit bollocks of "entitled to go down" making a choice to go down is a dive
Old 15-08-19, 12:33 AM   #473
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Also every other sport manages to give the VAR instant access to multiple angles and relay them to the stadia. With seemless dialogue (available to broadcaster) between the ref and the VAR. Instant control on speed and everything.

As ever football uses some shite tech from the dark ages and the richest game on the planet can’t have live video feeds inside every top level stadium.
Old 15-08-19, 12:33 AM   #474
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Another trophy. Cool.
Old 15-08-19, 12:41 AM   #475
Liverpool
Paisley

VAR is sound if done properly but it doesn't look like it will be implemented that way.

The upcoming World Cup changes, Euros, CL/World cup stuff in 2024. The game is going to go to shit in next 5-6 years. The governing bodies haven't got a clue, all about the money.

I'm going to enjoy Klopp and this team then sack it all off and collect traffic cones instead.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 12:48 AM   #476
McDermotX
Paisley

Old 15-08-19, 12:49 AM   #477
McDermotX
Paisley

Old 15-08-19, 12:54 AM   #478
McDermotX
Paisley

Old 15-08-19, 01:19 AM   #479
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

The replays were conclusive.

Itís bullshit they dont have access to all the angles? Where else are they getting their video feeds from? And if they struggle with that then how are they going to call dives where the forward draws contact more effectively?

At best that was a tech malfunction this evening. If they look at all of this e clips VAR rules that as no pen every day of the week.

Common sense has to be used with VAR.

Offsides are totally different decisions so different criteria applies.

That's not what VAR determines. They are checking if the ref made an obvious error. Plain and simple.
Old 15-08-19, 02:33 AM   #480
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

That's not what VAR determines. They are checking if the ref made an obvious error. Plain and simple.
Which there was. Not enough contact to legislate for a penalty.

Last edited by Buzzo; 15-08-19 at 02:35 AM.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC