It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 03-01-22, 11:18 AM   #241
Paul12
Fagan

1 I agree that Fab and Virgil looked leggy...I put it down to Covid. I guess we need to expect a similar dip from Bobby and Joel; legginess is not an issue for Ali.

2 I am a fan of Hendo, but: (a) he hasn't done well since coming back from his own illness, and (b) this triangulation thing on the red wing frees up Trent but leaves Hendo well out of position if we lose the ball, hence in my view the helter skelter nature of too many games this season.

3 I had thought we might get to the League Cup final and finally have a decent cup run, but am at a loss to know whether we have any attackers other than Jota available for Thursday.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 11:32 AM   #242
BG1973
Fagan

Let's be honest our days of competing for the title are done for a while. Last year should have been ours but for VVD and no backup. And now this year we've done okay but now we're into likes of ox and milner and it's neve going to be enough against city.

Imo Klopps final job should be building another team that will peak a couple of years after he's gone, by which time Pep has left city and things will be more equal. They will still have more resources (as will chelsea, United, Newcastle) but they won't have the second best manager in world football too.. Which is just too much.

You could argue if that's Klopp's final job then actually it should be someone else's job to start now.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 11:59 AM   #243
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Because there is no pace to track runners, something Chelsea have in numbers.
It wasn’t about there being no pace, it was us losing the ball and them breaking on us. Hendo is no slouch and by all accounts Milner is one of the fittest in the club. We play with an incredibly high line, if we lose the ball in transition teams can be in on goal very quickly. I don’t think Hendo had his best game yesterday and I’d never start Milner in a game like that personally - but I’m not writing them off.

Some of the comment on this game are ridiculous. Chelsea are the current Champions League winners, not the dog and duck under 5’s.

The loss at Leicester was a poor performance, and some of the draws earlier in the season have been disappointing. But we have mainly been excellent this season. We still average just under 3 goals per game. We’ve got a decent points return.

The issue is no one can compete with City.

We were the better team in the second half yesterday and created decent chances to win the game.

Last edited by Buzzo; 03-01-22 at 12:02 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 12:13 PM   #244
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
It wasnt about there being no pace, it was us losing the ball and them breaking on us. Hendo is no slouch and by all accounts Milner is one of the fittest in the club. We play with an incredibly high line, if we lose the ball in transition teams can be in on goal very quickly. I dont think Hendo had his best game yesterday and Id never start Milner in a game like that personally - but Im not writing them off.

Some of the comment on this game are ridiculous. Chelsea are the current Champions League winners, not the dog and duck under 5s.

The loss at Leicester was a poor performance, and some of the draws earlier in the season have been disappointing. But we have mainly been excellent this season. We still average just under 3 goals per game. Weve got a decent points return.

We were the better team in the second half yesterday and created decent chances to win the game.
There is something wrong in that midfield, we know the way that we play with a high line and that teams will get chances on the break, but the midfield isn't doing enough to limit those chances either by players being out of position, in the wrong position or not tracking runners for whatever reason. It has happened a few times in recent games, I'm not sure if it's because the midfield is constantly changing and no one knows their jobs properly or if the system needs tweaking but my feeling is there is something that just isn't right in there.

Our 3 in midfield were out fought by Kante and Kovacic who won the midfield battle for Chelsea, ok that's rare but again I think it highlights a problem area of the side. The midfield really isn't at it at the moment.
Old 03-01-22, 12:17 PM   #245
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
Let's be honest our days of competing for the title are done for a while. Last year should have been ours but for VVD and no backup. And now this year we've done okay but now we're into likes of ox and milner and it's neve going to be enough against city.

Imo Klopps final job should be building another team that will peak a couple of years after he's gone, by which time Pep has left city and things will be more equal. They will still have more resources (as will chelsea, United, Newcastle) but they won't have the second best manager in world football too.. Which is just too much.

You could argue if that's Klopp's final job then actually it should be someone else's job to start now.
For me the next month with the guys away at the ACN is key for us. We need to get back to winning ways and keep ourselves in contention. City undoubtedly have the strongest squad in the league by far and that's difficult to compete with, but they have also got lucky both on and off the pitch in recent weeks. You get the feeling that they can't keep being this lucky and having none of their players affected by Covid while their opposition are often severely weakened. I feel that there has to be a time when they are affected, hopefully when this happens they will slip up and lose points. That said we really need to get our shit together an put a long string of wins together to have any chance.
Old 03-01-22, 12:24 PM   #246
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
It wasnt about there being no pace, it was us losing the ball and them breaking on us. Hendo is no slouch and by all accounts Milner is one of the fittest in the club. We play with an incredibly high line, if we lose the ball in transition teams can be in on goal very quickly. I dont think Hendo had his best game yesterday and Id never start Milner in a game like that personally - but Im not writing them off.

Some of the comment on this game are ridiculous. Chelsea are the current Champions League winners, not the dog and duck under 5s.

The loss at Leicester was a poor performance, and some of the draws earlier in the season have been disappointing. But we have mainly been excellent this season. We still average just under 3 goals per game. Weve got a decent points return.

This is it in a nutshell for me.

City have changed things completely.

Chelsea and us are both on course to have a high 70s or low 80s points tally type season. Both of us have dropped points against teams where in years gone by would have been seen as tricky enough fixures for title contenders.

But City have changed what title challenging looks like. Now to be in wth a chance of the title you need to be having a 90 point season or better. You need to be able to put together the sort of runs of wins that forces errors from City.

Teams like us and Chelsea are still very good teams who are doing pretty well by most standards, however City have created a new tier, a new level that needs another team to be almost flawless for an entire season in order to compete with them. Yes it will happen once in a blue moon, pun intended, but for any other team trying to maintain the standards needed to go after City is simply not something that can be done season after season as pretty mch no other club has the same resources to ensure the same quality in depth across a squad.

The Pemier League is like the bundesliga now. One team whose resources mean that team will nearly always be the one leading the pack and every few seasons one or two clubs rise enough to run the financially dominant team close for a season or two before the dominant team goes on to win a few more titles then rinse and repeat.
Old 03-01-22, 12:27 PM   #247
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
There is something wrong in that midfield, we know the way that we play with a high line and that teams will get chances on the break, but the midfield isn't doing enough to limit those chances either by players being out of position, in the wrong position or not tracking runners for whatever reason. It has happened a few times in recent games, I'm not sure if it's because the midfield is constantly changing and no one knows their jobs properly or if the system needs tweaking but my feeling is there is something that just isn't right in there.

Our 3 in midfield were out fought by Kante and Kovacic who won the midfield battle for Chelsea, ok that's rare but again I think it highlights a problem area of the side. The midfield really isn't at it at the moment.
To be honest Im not disagreeing with anything - though the midfield did better second half.

Its time for Ox and Keita to step up, but they seem incapable of putting a run of games together. When everyone is fit we have decent options - but the injury to Elliot and Jones has left us relying on Keita. Ox has been fit and has been ok.

Its Covid and City that have done for us.
Old 03-01-22, 12:28 PM   #248
fabinho
Fagan

Quote:
It wasn’t about there being no pace, it was us losing the ball and them breaking on us. Hendo is no slouch and by all accounts Milner is one of the fittest in the club. We play with an incredibly high line, if we lose the ball in transition teams can be in on goal very quickly. I don’t think Hendo had his best game yesterday and I’d never start Milner in a game like that personally - but I’m not writing them off.

Some of the comment on this game are ridiculous. Chelsea are the current Champions League winners, not the dog and duck under 5’s.

The loss at Leicester was a poor performance, and some of the draws earlier in the season have been disappointing. But we have mainly been excellent this season. We still average just under 3 goals per game. We’ve got a decent points return.

The problem for me is that since winning the league, when we were far superior to City, we've begun drifting further and further behind. Key players are getting on and they're naturally regressing and will NOT be returning to their best. We're in a situation and mindset where this dominant team is now just hoping for the best over the season.

I don't think anyone is saying we expect to beat City every year, but through a lack of investment we've effectively thrown in the towel and allowed City to progress, when we were in such a strong position.

The majority of our squad is now either the wrong side of 30, injury prone, pretty average or a combination of all 3. Klopp is doing wonders but he needs more help from FSG.

How much are we able to spend anyway? We've been running pretty much net zero for years now, surely we can spend a fair bit if we want to?

Last edited by fabinho; 03-01-22 at 12:33 PM.
fabinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 12:37 PM   #249
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’d definitely be up for a few new faces just to freshen it up that probably means moving a few on, but that’s the nature of it.

I think Ox, Minamino, Phillips and Origi will all be up for grabs in the summer.

I feel we need a marquee signing a Bellingham or Haaland (or both) just a show of intent.
Old 03-01-22, 12:39 PM   #250
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post

Chelsea and us are both on course to have a high 70s or low 80s points tally type season. Both of us have dropped points against teams where in years gone by would have been seen as tricky enough fixures for title contenders.

But City have changed what title challenging looks like. Now to be in wth a chance of the title you need to be having a 90 point season or better. You need to be able to put together the sort of runs of wins that forces errors from City.

Teams like us and Chelsea are still very good teams who are doing pretty well by most standards, however City have created a new tier, a new level that needs another team to be almost flawless for an entire season in order to compete with them. Yes it will happen once in a blue moon, pun intended, but for any other team trying to maintain the standards needed to go after City is simply not something that can be done season after season as pretty mch no other club has the same resources to ensure the same quality in depth across a squad.

The Pemier League is like the bundesliga now. One team whose resources mean that team will nearly always be the one leading the pack and every few seasons one or two clubs rise enough to run the financially dominant team close for a season or two before the dominant team goes on to win a few more titles then rinse and repeat.
Fundamentally why football needs to watch out.
Old 03-01-22, 12:41 PM   #251
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I do think we’ve rested on our laurels, keeping the squad static but aging rather than refresh at great expense. But I suspect this is more out of necessity than a strategic plan, we can’t afford much else. And it has benefits of consistency, it’s already a strong team but it is gradually degrading with age in places. Giving Henderson a pay rise and four year deal at age 31 was pretty ridiculous imo, but then maybe they have to pander to the fans sometimes.

I’m not sure where we are going in terms of personnel and this will no doubt be another window without major reinforcements to the first eleven. Konate has made the back four look healthier, but we need significant midfield changes now, and attacking changes in the next couple of years. Maybe the major investment will be given to whoever replaces Klopp and we’ll kind of tread water until then.
Old 03-01-22, 12:51 PM   #252
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post
The problem for me is that since winning the league, when we were far superior to City, we've begun drifting further and further behind. Key players are getting on and they're naturally regressing and will NOT be returning to their best. We're in a situation and mindset where this dominant team is now just hoping for the best over the season.

I don't think anyone is saying we expect to beat City every year, but through a lack of investment we've effectively thrown in the towel and allowed City to progress, when we were in such a strong position.

The majority of our squad is now either the wrong side of 30, injury prone, pretty average or a combination of all 3. Klopp is doing wonders but he needs more help from FSG.

How much are we able to spend anyway? We've been running pretty much net zero for years now, surely we can spend a fair bit if we want to?
Quote:
I do think weve rested on our laurels, keeping the squad static but aging rather than refresh at great expense. But I suspect this is more out of necessity than a strategic plan, we cant afford much else. And it has benefits of consistency, its already a strong team but it is gradually degrading with age in places. Giving Henderson a pay rise and four year deal at age 31 was pretty ridiculous imo, but then maybe they have to pander to the fans sometimes.

Im not sure where we are going in terms of personnel and this will no doubt be another window without major reinforcements to the first eleven. Konate has made the back four look healthier, but we need significant midfield changes now, and attacking changes in the next couple of years. Maybe the major investment will be given to whoever replaces Klopp and well kind of tread water until then.
We needed to strengthen when we were on top, since winning the CL we have only really brought in Jota, Thiago and Konate. Although timing wise they weren't essentially Thiago and Konate are replacements for Lovren and Wijnaldum the only area we have really strengthened is up front with Jota and that's in 3 years. In that time other players have either reached their peak or just started to drop off. I also feel that there is the need to keep pushing themselves, the desire to win the league was clearly there for a couple of years but once they did it we seemed IMO to lose that edge.
Old 03-01-22, 12:57 PM   #253
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:

Its slightly depressing when we have this team which could be argued as being the best side in our history........ and when you consider our history that is some claim....... but may only win one league. City have fucked it - what they do cannot be matched and the level to compete with them requires almost perfection. I know Pep is a top manager but they have 16 40m + signings and we have 6.

They have also spent 505 million net in the past 5 seasons and we have spent 92........ I know FSG should probably do more but maybe they are thinking whats the point They have a league and CL and are maybe happy with that.......who the fuck knows
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 01:33 PM   #254
Maxiedge
Shankly

I think you guys are underplaying how good we are and the fact that we're currently experiencing unprecedented events. Currently we have:

Firmino
Origi
Minamino
Elliot
Alisson
Matip
Robertson
Thiago
Jones?

All out. Plus no manager. If you told we'd have to play Chelsea away missing all those players and prepare without a manager, I would take a draw before hand.

City won the Covid lottery but lets not lose track on how good we are and, imo, a level above Chelsea. First team is better than City but we need to improve the squad.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 01:48 PM   #255
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Id definitely be up for a few new faces just to freshen it up that probably means moving a few on, but thats the nature of it.

I think Ox, Minamino, Phillips and Origi will all be up for grabs in the summer.

I feel we need a marquee signing a Bellingham or Haaland (or both) just a show of intent.

Don't even think we need a marquee signing, just a number of good players.

Just say we went after only players who are in the final six months of their contracts this January and ignoring the really big names who are on that list.

Zakaria, Keisse and Kamara are all in their final six months if we want a midfielder or two who would be able to compete with those we have for a starting berth and who would all add phsicality and pace to our midfield

Belotti is in his final six months if we want a mobile striker with a really high work rate

There is the right back at Ajax whose name I cannot spell correctly without googling him. The Moroccan lad.

Defenders like Ginter or Denayer.

The Ajax keeper who got the ban, Onana, is also in the final six month and is a really good keeper.

Plus there are a lot of PL players of good quality in their final six months now.

Now I would love to see us going after top names, the marquee type sings like say Martinez for up front or someone like Barella for the midfield, but I do think there is some real quality to be had in the market this year when it comes to the players running down their contracts and more than a few look good enough to get into our team or at the very least look good enough to be far better than our current back ups.
Old 03-01-22, 02:49 PM   #256
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Don't even think we need a marquee signing, just a number of good players.

Just say we went after only players who are in the final six months of their contracts this January and ignoring the really big names who are on that list.

Zakaria, Keisse and Kamara are all in their final six months if we want a midfielder or two who would be able to compete with those we have for a starting berth and who would all add phsicality and pace to our midfield

Belotti is in his final six months if we want a mobile striker with a really high work rate

There is the right back at Ajax whose name I cannot spell correctly without googling him. The Moroccan lad.

Defenders like Ginter or Denayer.

The Ajax keeper who got the ban, Onana, is also in the final six month and is a really good keeper.

Plus there are a lot of PL players of good quality in their final six months now.

Now I would love to see us going after top names, the marquee type sings like say Martinez for up front or someone like Barella for the midfield, but I do think there is some real quality to be had in the market this year when it comes to the players running down their contracts and more than a few look good enough to get into our team or at the very least look good enough to be far better than our current back ups.
There is value out there but we seem to sit on our hands - we need a Tsimikas to support Trent. We need an available utility midfielder and I think Zakaria is a good option in Jan
Old 03-01-22, 02:55 PM   #257
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Because there is no pace to track runners, something Chelsea have in numbers.
this and it was so evident yesterday. They gave us a terrible time in there between winning the midfield battle and that ball over the high line we really struggled. Kante breezed by Fab 4 times, Milly just clogged around smashing people & I honestly don't know what Henderson done or where he was. Keita & Ox came on and did absolutely nothing... which is also no surprise either.
Old 03-01-22, 03:08 PM   #258
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
We needed to strengthen when we were on top, since winning the CL we have only really brought in Jota, Thiago and Konate. Although timing wise they weren't essentially Thiago and Konate are replacements for Lovren and Wijnaldum the only area we have really strengthened is up front with Jota and that's in 3 years. In that time other players have either reached their peak or just started to drop off. I also feel that there is the need to keep pushing themselves, the desire to win the league was clearly there for a couple of years but once they did it we seemed IMO to lose that edge.
We should have been strengthening in a position of power but we just didn't for whatever reason & City have finally sorted out their backline and look one of the most balanced squads I've ever seen and to be honest with the amount of money they've spent so they should. When you are operating off a blank cheque, you'll eventually get it right.

Last season we left ourselves short at the back and paid the price, we got Konate in this season as we know Matip and Joe are injury prone. This season we left ourselves short in midfield and it's come back to bite us. On paper we have numbers in there but also on paper is just how many times the likes of Ox, Keita & Thiago are not available... Hendo can be injury prone too. We look at our strongest when Fab/Thiago play together. Unfortunately we seem to be struggling to get them on the pitch at the same time for any sustained period. For me now as it stands, Ox, Keita, Origi, Minamino, Philips, Milner, Gomez, Neco are up for grabs whether it be selling or loan move. Tsimikas was a shrewd buy, we need something like that on Trent's side so we can rotate with less compromise. We absolutely need some more pace in the midfield and we need some goals in that midfield. One creative mid and one defensive mid would be lovely. I also think if Firmino keeps up his form over the last few years he'll be gone. A fabulous player on his day but his form has dropped off badly in recent years.

I see big changes in our side over the next year or so. We are a brilliant side, can beat anyone on our day but trying to compete against City over a long, brutal season is so difficult.

Last edited by danperkins; 03-01-22 at 03:10 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 03:25 PM   #259
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I don’t have an issue with Hendos contract at all tbh. He is a clear leader within the squad.

The problem perhaps is we still rely on him playing every game and well so heavily. It wasn’t vintage Hendo yesterday, but he has been great in general this season. Look at some of his assists, his drive and some goals (all missing yesterday tbf). As the stats in the other midfield thread show, we just don’t have my one to come in and challenge him that can put a run of games together.

We should be at a point where we can manage the game time of Hendo and Thiago and not be dropping a level when they are either injured or have a bad game. We can’t bench or rotate them as they are pivotal. That means either the guys on the bench step it up, or, we look for replacements.
Old 03-01-22, 04:14 PM   #260
BootRoom
Dalglish

Captain Fantastic is lucky that the other midfielders can't stay fit otherwise he'd be where he belongs - warming the bench.
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 04:19 PM   #261
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Some odd takes on here. Didn’t have the best game yesterday but the disrespect he gets is strange.
Peter_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 04:51 PM   #262
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootRoom View Post
Captain Fantastic is lucky that the other midfielders can't stay fit otherwise he'd be where he belongs - warming the bench.
I think Henderson is in the side for balance rather than because of the availability or unavailability of others. For me the midfield balance Klopp wants has Fabinho as the holder, Henderson and one of the more attacking three Thiago/Keita/Ox. If Henderson is out it is more likely Milner will come in than he will play another of the attacking players (at least from the start, there may be times in games where this is not the case but rarely will 2 of them start unless there are no other options)
Old 03-01-22, 04:57 PM   #263
BootRoom
Dalglish

Quote:
I think Henderson is in the side for balance rather than because of the availability or unavailability of others. For me the midfield balance Klopp wants has Fabinho as the holder, Henderson and one of the more attacking three Thiago/Keita/Ox. If Henderson is out it is more likely Milner will come in than he will play another of the attacking players (at least from the start, there may be times in games where this is not the case but rarely will 2 of them start unless there are no other options)
Fab as the anchor, Thiago as the metronomic playmaker, A.N. Other (Keita if he ever gets his arse in gear for a whole game....was Elliot before he got injured) as the (more) attacking midfielder.
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 05:48 PM   #264
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:

Agree with every word, but specifically:

Quote:
I cant fathom why its always our fault on here when we drop points. There is always another team on the pitch and given that the prem is (probably) the best league in the world we shouldn't be expecting to stroll through games at a canter

But moreso, miles miles moreso, when we're playing the current European Champions who are one of the top 5 richest clubs in the world

It sucks to drop points but given the team we were able to field I'd have taken a draw all day long

It was an absolute belter of a game, regardless of the result
Old 03-01-22, 06:37 PM   #265
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Griffin View Post
Some odd takes on here. Didnt have the best game yesterday but the disrespect he gets is strange.
He was shite yesterday as were many others but he has been shite a lot recently. My issue is that if Naby plays poorly he gets name checked by every journalist questioning his price tag, sane happened to Thiago. Henderson will still get a 6/7 from the echo because of who he is and he shouts a lot......so what.

In fact he was atrocious yesterday and Im going to put up a cherry picked highlights reel

He is an absolute great character and hes been amazing for us on occasion + he will always go down in history as our captain for number 6, the league post drought and first world title. Ill never forgive him for how he acted when looking for a new contract. Cried to the media....... mad extending it when he was already struggling
Old 03-01-22, 06:41 PM   #266
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

To be fair you will quite quickly name check He do ever time he has a bad game. There haven’t been many this season. Highlighting one game, that literally just happened, where he was poor, and ignoring every other game this season. I’d say he is struggling playing every game and has not been at his best vs Leicester it yesterday - but that’s it.

Particularly September through November. Hendo was brilliant when we beat Everton and Utd. As mentioned he needs help in midfield, he needs other players to step up, but he is miles from the worst midfielder we have.

Last edited by Buzzo; 03-01-22 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 06:48 PM   #267
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
I do think we’ve rested on our laurels, keeping the squad static but aging rather than refresh at great expense. But I suspect this is more out of necessity than a strategic plan, we can’t afford much else. And it has benefits of consistency, it’s already a strong team but it is gradually degrading with age in places. Giving Henderson a pay rise and four year deal at age 31 was pretty ridiculous imo, but then maybe they have to pander to the fans sometimes.

I’m not sure where we are going in terms of personnel and this will no doubt be another window without major reinforcements to the first eleven. Konate has made the back four look healthier, but we need significant midfield changes now, and attacking changes in the next couple of years. Maybe the major investment will be given to whoever replaces Klopp and we’ll kind of tread water until then.
This. We are treading water because Ageing squad + klopp = better chance of a trophy than fresh young guns + klopp. So we seem to be sticking to that to make most of Klopp while he is here.

With klopp on a countdown it's a bizarre situation now.. He's still here which is fine if course.. but at some point part of me thinks it's detrimental for him to stay to end of his contract.
Old 03-01-22, 06:49 PM   #268
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
To be fair you will quite quickly name check He do ever time he has a bad game. There havent been many this season. Highlighting one game, that literally just happened, where he was poor, and ignoring every other game this season. Id say he is struggling playing every game and has not been at his best vs Leicester it yesterday - but thats it.

Particularly September through November. Hendo was brilliant when we beat Everton and Utd. As mentioned he needs help in midfield, he needs other players to step up, but he is miles from the worst midfielder we have.
I certainly will - I think he is one of the most over rated players we have. Great guy and that shouting must count for a lot

Jokes aside - when he has time and teams stand off he is fine..... when the midfield is tight and combative he struggles on the ball.... he used to be amazing off the ball but hes lost that as well. He needs to be managed on rotation but we are fucked and he needs to play all the time. That doesnt help him
Old 03-01-22, 07:19 PM   #269
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I don’t know about over rated that’s if you ignore the passing assists for Salah vs Everton and frequent other passages of play that if ignored and you purely focus on negatives then yeah… we are averaging 3 plus goals per game with He do playing in most of them. With only 3 in midfield… we are hardly carrying him.

The issue we have is when he starts to suffer from the amount of fixtures, we don’t have anyone capable of stepping in. We needed Ox and Keita. Ox has been ‘ok’ and Keita got halved by Pogba. Jones has been injured. Thiago injured. Elliot putt for the season. We need one of these guys to string together a real run of form where can then rest Hendo.

Last edited by Buzzo; 03-01-22 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 08:01 PM   #270
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I dont know about over rated thats if you ignore the passing assists for Salah vs Everton and frequent other passages of play that if ignored and you purely focus on negatives then yeah we are averaging 3 plus goals per game with He do playing in most of them. With only 3 in midfield we are hardly carrying him.

The issue we have is when he starts to suffer from the amount of fixtures, we dont have anyone capable of stepping in. We needed Ox and Keita. Ox has been ok and Keita got halved by Pogba. Jones has been injured. Thiago injured. Elliot putt for the season. We need one of these guys to string together a real run of form where can then rest Hendo.
Well never agree Buzzo but I can agree to disagree - for me it is the most obvious improvement area in our first 11. Fab, Thiago and one more

I 100% agree that if he was managed properly wed get much more from him
Old 03-01-22, 08:09 PM   #271
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Well never agree Buzzo but I can agree to disagree - for me it is the most obvious improvement area in our first 11. Fab, Thiago and one more

I 100% agree that if he was managed properly wed get much more from him

I've run out of steam on this also
Old 03-01-22, 08:29 PM   #272
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:

I've run out of steam on this also
Much like our captain
Old 04-01-22, 11:38 AM   #273
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
This. We are treading water because Ageing squad + klopp = better chance of a trophy than fresh young guns + klopp. So we seem to be sticking to that to make most of Klopp while he is here.

With klopp on a countdown it's a bizarre situation now.. He's still here which is fine if course.. but at some point part of me thinks it's detrimental for him to stay to end of his contract.
I was thinking something similar yesterday. If Jurgen signed a new contract, then my god that would be some huge boost. I suspect a lot of players that signed for us actually signed to play under him. Players like Thiago and Virgil. Plus it must be helpful when we sign top young players like Elliot too - the fact that Jurgen is so good at bringing through young players into the team.

LFC will always be an attractive proposition for any player to join......but if Jurgen was working his notice, then some players will be slow to sign for LFC - or even current players extend their contracts - as they won't know who the manager will be. And from FSGs perspective, they might now want to shell out a lot on players that a future manager won't want in their team.

Could end up being a bit shit.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 12:02 PM   #274
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Our 'not 1st choice' midfield was up against Kante as well. One of the best in the business. Away from home, without our manager on the touchline.

Screaming about the death of our ability to win the title on the base of this game is a little far fetched.

We all knew City were the strongest squad before the start of the season, they're doing incredibly well. It'll take a lot to go in our favour to nick the title from them. I'd have said the same before the season started.

Our 1st eleven is still, for me, the best eleven players in the league, probably Europe, but we don't have the same squad as City or Chelsea.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 01:39 PM   #275
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I was thinking something similar yesterday. If Jurgen signed a new contract, then my god that would be some huge boost. I suspect a lot of players that signed for us actually signed to play under him. Players like Thiago and Virgil. Plus it must be helpful when we sign top young players like Elliot too - the fact that Jurgen is so good at bringing through young players into the team.

LFC will always be an attractive proposition for any player to join......but if Jurgen was working his notice, then some players will be slow to sign for LFC - or even current players extend their contracts - as they won't know who the manager will be. And from FSGs perspective, they might now want to shell out a lot on players that a future manager won't want in their team.

Could end up being a bit shit.
Exactly, we're on course to fall off a cliff when he goes if we let the squad age to point of no resale value. Really worrying for me.

Think this is why Salah deal not done yet. Probably linked to convos about klopp' s future. Imagine if both signed new deals at once!

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC