It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 30-12-21, 10:24 AM   #521
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

To be fair they are pretty damn good, they weren't at their best last night but won and also had 2 goals disallowed last night. The squad depth is a huge factor but they can score and assist from so many different areas of the pitch, that's why they are so hard to contain. It's not a level playing field and I have no doubts they will strengthen again in January and we'll probably sell a few players with the promise of the money being spent in the summer when the right one is available. They won't drop many points and we've given them a huge opportunity now to pull away. There is still half the season left and anything can happen but I just can't see past them. That's not me giving up, just being realistic that they have a huge advantage.

Last edited by danperkins; 30-12-21 at 10:26 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-21, 04:52 PM   #522
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That’s fair

They are strong favourites. But - we have to be ready if they slip up. That starts with a win on Sunday.
Old 30-12-21, 05:59 PM   #523
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

City have been lucky not having their rhythmn disrupted by covid over the past few weeks, which has given them a massive advantage, facing teams completely disrupted by it and their main challengers being affected by it.
Old 30-12-21, 09:10 PM   #524
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
That’s fair

They are strong favourites. But - we have to be ready if they slip up. That starts with a win on Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
City have been lucky not having their rhythmn disrupted by covid over the past few weeks, which has given them a massive advantage, facing teams completely disrupted by it and their main challengers being affected by it.
Chelsea has now become a must win
Old 31-12-21, 05:22 AM   #525
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

what i saw over and over again from us was our forward line running at their back line while the man on the ball dallied and lost his chance to play them in, leaving the team in limbo while they all came back onside and tried to find space again. that started early in the 1st half but it got worse all night. there was one late on when the ball came to firmino and he had both mane and jota hitting the seam at the edge of the box and couldn't get turned around fast enough to play it through. their line was flat and we had them. as jurgen said, we just didn't seem like ourselves. even ourselves lately. the ball just isn't coming fast enough.

i thought matip was miles away our best player going forward which, i'm happy to have him there, but that's sad.
Old 31-12-21, 05:32 AM   #526
Harv
Randy Marsh

One day Matip is going to finish one of those amazing mazy runs through their whole side and his celebration is going to be glorious. I think he might even spontaneously combust

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 07:30 PM   #527
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

City with an 11 point lead, at worst 8 if we win game in hand and us losing Salah and Mane for at least League 2 games.

It is a long road to the title from here.

We should be all in on the Caraboa now
Old 02-01-22, 07:32 PM   #528
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
City with an 11 point lead, at worst 8 if we win game in hand and us losing Salah and Mane for at least League 2 games.

It is a long road to the title from here.

We should be all in on the Caraboa now
If we have our best 11 available and at it then we can beat anyone - I think the CL is ours for the taking. Anfield rocking will drive us on
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 07:34 PM   #529
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
If we have our best 11 available and at it then we can beat anyone - I think the CL is ours for the taking. Anfield rocking will drive us on
Yeah, we definitely have a strong chance there, and we should have our strongest 11 by then - Hendo () Fab and Thiago in midfield. A favourable draw or 2 where we avoid Prem teams (other than Man U) would be ideal also.
Old 02-01-22, 07:40 PM   #530
Exiled_red
Paisley

Our midfield just doesn't seem right, too easy to play through recently, perhaps due to having to constantly change it but for me it's going back to us not having players we can rely on week after week. Our team that won the league and CL had a settled midfield
Old 02-01-22, 07:44 PM   #531
Exiled_red
Paisley

We need to make sure we keep at it put a run of wins together. There is a chance that City could get Covid cases and slip up. We need to make sure we are in a position to take advantage if they do
Old 02-01-22, 07:46 PM   #532
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Our midfield just doesn't seem right, too easy to play through recently, perhaps due to having to constantly change it but for me it's going back to us not having players we can rely on week after week. Our team that won the league and CL had a settled midfield

Just the control that went missing today I thought. Teams playing through us is a by product of us losing balls in situations that we’re ill suited to defend.
Old 02-01-22, 07:48 PM   #533
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Just the control that went missing today I thought. Teams playing through us is a by product of us losing balls in situations that we’re ill suited to defend.
And only really on the goals. That was because we lost possession further up the pitch with the FB's caught forwards and we lacked organisation.

I thought we looked quite disciplined in the second half. Its Chelsea away, so we arent going to dominate the ball.

It's a decent result. We just needed an exceptional result.
Old 02-01-22, 07:52 PM   #534
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
We’ve altered the formation a bit this season - Fab and the left sided 8 control the game. The right 8 plays more advanced giving Trent and Mo more freedom. Our problem is all our midfielders bar Thiago are better as the right 8 and when he doesn’t play we don’t control things
Old 02-01-22, 07:52 PM   #535
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Carra’s take

Old 02-01-22, 07:54 PM   #536
S-RED
Shankly

10 points right there
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 09:56 PM   #537
Charly
Dalglish

I think our midfield is not elite in depth, Hendo, Ox and Milner are past their best. With Naby, Thiago and Fab we could compete with City, but they all have fitness issues and we are a step below city without them. We should still be getting second though.
Old 02-01-22, 10:09 PM   #538
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

How long was hendo’s new bumper contract for? It seemed questionable at the time, and even more so now.

Edit: looked it up, four years

Last edited by Kenneth; 02-01-22 at 10:11 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 10:14 PM   #539
fabinho
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
How long was hendo’s new bumper contract for? It seemed questionable at the time, and even more so now.

That was an absolutely ludicrous decision.
Old 02-01-22, 10:20 PM   #540
spud_gun
Paisley

It was a 2 year extension.

I imagine it was a 'thank you' given what he has achieved with the club.

The type of sentimental decision that should have no place in sport.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 10:23 PM   #541
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
I think our midfield is not elite in depth, Hendo, Ox and Milner are past their best. With Naby, Thiago and Fab we could compete with City, but they all have fitness issues and we are a step below city without them. We should still be getting second though.
I don't think a Fabinho, Thiago and Keita midfield has quite the right balance I feel you need a Henderson type player in there, as you say it looks like Henderson is past his peak (on recent form at least). But the big issue with the players we have in there is fitness and getting them out onto the pitch week after week. Naby and Thiago can just about fill up one spot in the team between them with the amount of games they play. I really feel we need to make some tough decisions in terms of getting rid of people and bring in some more reliable guys
Old 02-01-22, 11:00 PM   #542
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 12:39 AM   #543
Fosterbloke
Run the Jewels

The Premier League title is lost to us now unless City lose all their influential players to COVID during their hardest run and start losing games.
Old 03-01-22, 11:29 AM   #544
fabinho
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterbloke View Post
The Premier League title is lost to us now unless City lose all their influential players to COVID during their hardest run and start losing games.
A lack of investment in the squad and Klopp probably leaving next season too. It's time for FSG to start making moves to take us forward.
Old 03-01-22, 01:05 PM   #545
Fredo

A lot of negativity on here. A few weeks ago we were the best team in the world.
Old 03-01-22, 01:09 PM   #546
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
A lot of negativity on here. A few weeks ago we were the best team in the world.
Only in your head. Anyone with a bit of nous could of seen we're going to come up short.
Old 03-01-22, 01:11 PM   #547
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Only in your head. Anyone with a bit of nous could of seen we're going to come up short.

Did you see Covid affecting every other team including us but not city? You’re a clairvoyant then.
Old 03-01-22, 01:37 PM   #548
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Did you see Covid affecting every other team including us but not city? You’re a clairvoyant then.
Covid hasn't helped. But it had nothing to do with draws against Brighton and Brentford. We're the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league. That's still impressive. But we have too many players on the wane and off the required performance level to sustain a title charge. Bobby, Mane and Henderson were massive for us the year we won the title and the year before that. Their form is never getting back to that which has gone previous. We have to accept it and cut them loose. But as klopp isn't hanging around for long he's reluctant to do it. We need huge investment in the team and squad.
Old 03-01-22, 03:36 PM   #549
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

We will never be able to sell him on as he can sit on his fat contract and just be rubbish or unfit.
Stupid decision.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 03:44 PM   #550
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
We will never be able to sell him on as he can sit on his fat contract and just be rubbish or unfit.
Stupid decision.
Yeah that sound a like Hendo.

Old 03-01-22, 04:56 PM   #551
Exiled_red
Paisley

I know he is getting stick at the moment and he isn't having the best of seasons but he is still a good player, I just think that we need to manage his minutes, he is prone to picking up injuries but has been playing by far more games that most of the other midfielders. I have been saying for a while that we need to find a successor, manage his minutes and he can take over the role Milner has had in recent years. I still think that is the case
Old 03-01-22, 10:17 PM   #552
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Stupid decision.
We should try and swap him with CLint Dempsey.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 11:12 PM   #553
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
We should try and swap him with CLint Dempsey.
Thanks Brendan

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 11:02 AM   #554
Paul12
Fagan

I started the season thinking we were behind Man City and Chelsea. I haven't seen enough of Chelsea to understand whether the drop off in their results is long-term or just a short-term blib, but I thought they were the better team in the two games we have played against them; their midfield dominates ours ...it seems to have more people in it, they seem to know better than us where each other is, and they seem to cause panic amongst our midfield. With that domination, they are able to get at our backline more than most other teams. It also looks to me that their midfield sits slightly deeper than ours and then springs forward beyond our midfield. (I don't know whether the charts confirm this or not.) Maybe we simply need to be less gung ho against them in future.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 11:22 AM   #555
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I started the season thinking we were behind Man City and Chelsea. I haven't seen enough of Chelsea to understand whether the drop off in their results is long-term or just a short-term blib, but I thought they were the better team in the two games we have played against them; their midfield dominates ours ...it seems to have more people in it, they seem to know better than us where each other is, and they seem to cause panic amongst our midfield. With that domination, they are able to get at our backline more than most other teams. It also looks to me that their midfield sits slightly deeper than ours and then springs forward beyond our midfield. (I don't know whether the charts confirm this or not.) Maybe we simply need to be less gung ho against them in future.
I think our first 11 can compete with any side in the world - if we had Fab, Thiago and an in form Hendo we’d match Chelsea. Add Bobby dropping in and we’d be the ones causing them the issues.

Chelsea were massively over performing their xG both offensively and defensively earlier this season - scoring worldies and Mendy performing way above his career averages. They have simply regressed back to the norm - they’ve also been hit hard by injuries but have the second deepest squad. Even with all the absences they had, their line up and bench were pretty strong.

City are different again - they have the deepest squad in world football and can cope with any injuries/absences for the most part. They have a net spend of 500m in the past 5 seasons and have bought 16 40m+ players. We have 6 and Chelsea 10 for context.

In terms of midfield - it’s clearly an area that sets the tone for the game. Ciry played open vs us and we shredded them and Pep is much more cautious now. Our defence push high and compress the middle - our pressing then normally doesn’t give opposition sides the chance to have time on the ball and we win it back. This has been effective vs United, Everton etc but the constant changing in midfield has created a lack of cohesion and the midfield isn’t doing its job. Teams can have time to play the ball behind us and that’s where we can struggle with the full backs so high.

A settled side especially in midfield and we are a different animal
Old 04-01-22, 11:26 AM   #556
frank the tank
Shankly

Our midfield is certainly in need of surgery. A bit like the start of last season when people said we were going in short in defense and it was a big risk, some people said the same about this years midfield. And they were right. In reality, I think we need 2 new midfielders. Harvey Elliot might return and be one of those - but is it really a wise move to rely on him after just returning from such a big injury at his age? No. I think Milner will leave this summer and I hope Oxlade does to be honest. It just hasn't worked out and the odd 20 minute half-decent spell won't change that. Keita has been good in patches this season but once again hasn't stayed fit for long enough to build momentum in the side. I couldn't believe we didn't start him v Chelsea.

I think we need 2 new midfielders and forward players as well in order to have a go at the league again next year.

It feels like 2 years ago that this was the best Liverpool team ever and the club kind of missed the opportunity to kick on from that position.

On the plus side, Konate looks to have been a brilliant addition.
frank the tank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 03:34 PM   #557
Exiled_red
Paisley

Guardiola and 7 City players are isolating because of Covid test results
Old 06-01-22, 03:34 PM   #558
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Guardiola and 7 City players are isolating because of Covid test results

Should be looking to dock them points.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 03:43 PM   #559
Paul12
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post

Should be looking to dock them points.
Grr...in FA Cup week rather than a Premier League week!
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 05:16 PM   #560
greenturnip
Benitez

Yeah. Timing for City is excellent....
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC