It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 07-01-22, 08:31 AM   #2001
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

The follow up documentary 'The Real Anne', shown last night, is also well worth a watch.

The footage of PC Debra Martin had me in tears - firstly the original interview when she tearfully explains how she cradled him - "he was just a baby" - and that Kevin said 'mum' before he passed, and then the later one from 2012 when, with Anne alongside her, she tells the same story and Anne crumples in tears. Fucking devastating.
Old 07-01-22, 10:55 AM   #2002
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I watched the final episode of Anne, which was brutal as it dealt with the candour with which she accepted her Cancer diagnosis

Then watched the Doc which was also really well handled, and informative - and obviously very emotional.

I hadn't picked up on, or had forgotten, the fact that the last enquiry highlighted that 41 of the 97 could have been saved had medical support been provided. Some of them by measures as simple as being put into the recovery position. I just dont know how families square that away.

Also they played the audio of Duckenfield admitting his mistakes and lack of suitability for his position that day. As Sara Williams then, very graciously goes on to say. He made a mistake. He is only human. But he had over 20 years to admit to the lies that he clearly knew were being told.

A very emotional week of TV watching.

Last edited by Buzzo; 07-01-22 at 10:58 AM.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 11:00 AM   #2003
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Aye I preceded the doc with the last two episodes. Heavy going, but essential.

So many people deserve everyone's gratitude, from Margaret Aspinall, Trevor Hicks, to Burnham - who is imperfect but played such a huge role - and the likes of David Conn at the Guardian, who has been so tireless and whose big piece on altered police statements way back blew so much of it wide open.
Old 07-01-22, 11:05 AM   #2004
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The follow up documentary 'The Real Anne', shown last night, is also well worth a watch.

The footage of PC Debra Martin had me in tears - firstly the original interview when she tearfully explains how she cradled him - "he was just a baby" - and that Kevin said 'mum' before he passed, and then the later one from 2012 when, with Anne alongside her, she tells the same story and Anne crumples in tears. Fucking devastating.
yip i was thinking the footage of 2012 was harrowing alright..... so fuckin sad.

There is a family victim (can't remember her name - she was on the show last night - Charl??) who has basically said that we would have gotten over the disaster eventually if it wasn't for the cover up and lies afterwards.

One thing I didn't know was that Duckenfield was supposedly on the beer that day and was missing for a number of hours.
frank the tank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 11:07 AM   #2005
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:

So many people deserve everyone's gratitude, from Margaret Aspinall, Trevor Hicks, to Burnham - who is imperfect but played such a huge role - and the likes of David Conn at the Guardian, who has been so tireless and whose big piece on altered police statements way back blew so much of it wide open.

Don't think it will happen but I actually think Burnham would make a good leader for the labour party.

As someone else has said here as well, I am surprised a form of justice wasn't dished out in a vigilante fashion as well. Especially in the last couple of years.
frank the tank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 11:54 AM   #2006
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

One of the issues is sometimes seeking perfection in people or systems. This was a long, long way from perfect. But when you consider how this affected Burnham, and when you see his voice catch and his genuine pause as he is overwhelmed with emotion when he is talking about Kevin Williams, it is a good sign.

There are politicians out there that are very relatable and human. The system tends to not offer them a voice.

Also really it was some surprisingly decisive action from Gordon Brown in his short tenure as PM and dealing with Burnham that basically blew the case wide open again. Whereas Tony Blair had sided with the Murdoch empire.
Old 11-01-22, 04:12 PM   #2007
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC