It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 12-01-22, 11:37 AM   #1161
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Stay up by not necessarily improving themselves that much but by weakening all their rivals sounds good in theory, but those clubs would be stupid to sell them players by choice. Burnley are only selling Wood because they met his buy out. Staying in the PL has to be worth >£100m selling your best player to a relegation rival even for £30-40m doesn't really make sense unless you are already resigned to going down.

Totally agree it would be stupid of the clubs around them to sell their better players, but depends on what sort of owners clubs have I guess, along with whether or not they think they might be able to sell and still stay up.
Old 12-01-22, 12:19 PM   #1162
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Chris Wood, thats quite a step down form Mbappe Even in the PL he has only notched 3 goals this season. Statistically his worst return.

I think one area where Newcastle will suffer is how the rest of the league operate compared to when City and Chelsea got their filthy lucre. Back then both clubs were able to set themselves apart financially. Since then, to an extent the rest have had to catch up.

Now, pretty much every team pays top dollar in the transfer market, so to make a difference they are going to have to pay over the odds for some bang average players. They will not be able to make the same impact, there has been the massive increase in TV revenue from the BT deal and also because the game has had a decade or more of having obscene transfer fees poured into it.
Old 12-01-22, 01:23 PM   #1163
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Totally agree it would be stupid of the clubs around them to sell their better players, but depends on what sort of owners clubs have I guess, along with whether or not they think they might be able to sell and still stay up.
Even with shit owners not sure there is an incentive unless the player is out of contract in the summer or has a low fee release clause if they get relegated. With players like Sarr or Dennis at Watford or Rafina at Leeds it's not like they'll not get a decent fee for them in the summer if they are relegated.

From a players point of view why leave one team in a relegation fight for another? I guess you could argue more money but I don't think that is what motivates all of them.
Old 12-01-22, 01:25 PM   #1164
Fivex
The Wisp

More money with a better chance of getting promoted again if the worst happens?
Old 12-01-22, 02:28 PM   #1165
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah, building a team to storm the Championship.
Old 12-01-22, 03:11 PM   #1166
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

I've always thought Wood was half decent. A bit of a donkey but puts himself about and has had a knack for a goal.

The money is a bit mad but I guess Newcastle don't really care about that!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 04:30 PM   #1167
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
When City came into loads of oil money they struggled to find anyone decent to make the move to a mediocre side. Robinho was their first marque signing and then the flood gates seemed to open... after they got rid of Hughes, naturally... he couldn't attract a wasp.

Can see Newcastle going for a proper statesman-type manager next season, like an Ancelotti to try and attract better quality players. The money and limitless transfer budget will help. Bog standard players in the PL like Woods will see 'payday' all day long and jump at the chance to pad out the squad in the meantime... let's hope a couple of LFC outcasts make their way to the north east and give us some coffers to spend on a forward.
I think if the Blue fume got too much and everton got rid of Rafa, then they'd have him back up there in a flash.

He would do ok with a bottomless pit too. And the fact that the fans love him up there would help too.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #1168
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I think if the Blue fume got too much and everton got rid of Rafa, then they'd have him back up there in a flash.

He would do ok with a bottomless pit too. And the fact that the fans love him up there would help too.
...given how quick his tenure ended at Goodison, I'd be surprised if they went back for him again. Shame really as if he hadn't taken it, I think he'd have been invited back before Howe.

Can't see Howe lasting more than the end of the season... after that, it's anyone's guess? They'll want to be taken seriously so can see them trying to sign a big gun. Maybe Poch will be tempted will limitless funds and a huge payday? Can't see United being attractive to him anymore given where they are..
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #1169
spud_gun
Paisley

Times yesterday reported that since the Saudi takeover Newcastle had approached Rafa twice about becoming manager there again.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #1170
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Times yesterday reported that since the Saudi takeover Newcastle had approached Rafa twice about becoming manager there again.
Get's sillier by the day and as for Rafa he's now become somewhat of a parody....Fans looking for an even bigger stick to beat him with!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #1171
Yozza
Shankly

Time for Rafa to put his feet up & enjoy his retirement - hate seeing him getting treated like this even though it is self inflicted

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:54 AM   #1172
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Time for Rafa to put his feet up & enjoy his retirement - hate seeing him getting treated like this even though it is self inflicted
No Rafa... take your dick out of the blender...
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #1173
frank the tank
Shankly

In reality Howe hasn't exactly been brilliant for them so I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Benitez approached.

It might all depend on how his contract with Everton was set up. If he got his payday and there is no clause stating that he can't work for anyone for the rest of the season, then he isn't going to pay that back.

However, if he gets his cash from Everton and gets to start tomorrow in Newcastle, then I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see it happen. Particularly since Howe couldn't even get a win at home against shite like Watford, Norwich or Man United.

Best scenario for us all here is that Rafa takes over at Newcastle, heads a resurgence with their team turning everything around and finding form and they then ramp up the table with Everton being sucked into the bottom and being relegated!!! How feckin brilliant would that be - they end up paying millions in compo to the guy that saved their rival and sent them down!!!
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #1174
baitman
Daddy day care

Rafa as their D of F would be ideal for them, and for Rafa, only if they relocated to tranmere.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #1175
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Particularly since Howe couldn't even get a win at home against shite like Watford, Norwich or Man United.
Haha, I like what you did there…

est1892 > Football > General Football