It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 20-11-21, 06:12 PM   #5441
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
On the try, they don't even check for a suspect pass, ref takes out one of our tacklers too. Jantjies and de Allende shocking, but still. Were never going to get favours in this game. England will take it, but not really fair, as per usual.
Rassie?

I think in general the standard of reffing in rugby is pretty good (not Wayne Barnes) you guys play right on the edge and win some tight calls and also lose some.

Good game and tight tbh you are always and think always will be a tough game due to the style; not a fan of it but it’s bloody effective and you’re very good at playing that way
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-21, 06:13 PM   #5442
Zapater
Dalglish

I can see the headlines on the next game at Twickenham already. "South Africa haven't won here for a million years, England are so dominant there" when they've legitimately won 30% of recent matches. I wouldn't usually care, but this rankles after the WR verdict.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-21, 06:27 PM   #5443
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Nah, you were winning pens throughout the second half. About ten to two by my reckoning. England barely won anything (deservedly) until the last few mins. Pollard butchered a couple of kickable ones that would have given control and Etzebeth blew that line break. The only grumble you can have is that perhaps the yellow should have been issued earlier, and the yellow on Kolisi was harsh.

Great match though.
Pollard isn't clinical enough for me, he hasn't had his kicking boots on all season, reason we lost all of the matches this season. Was horrendous against Australia.

Those are my main points of contention which would have changed the direction of the game though. Kolisi hug in slow motion, a yellow, come to expect it, but when do we get those? Based on recent decisions in the north, that's a high tackle and yellow/red everyday and you best believe that if a man in green did that it'd have been a penalised every time. 2 overlapping yelllows would have been critical. In the second half, England were legitimately being called as they were knocking on just about every high ball and were offside the majority of the time among other infringements, the ref could not not call them.

Anyway, it is what it is. Think this is a fixture I'll stop watching because it's wound me up so much over the years. Seasons over on a typical sour note, ruining a gruelling season which would've been great, now it's a just pass on paper. Hopefully the football goes better...
Old 20-11-21, 07:22 PM   #5444
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Pollard isn't clinical enough for me, he hasn't had his kicking boots on all season, reason we lost all of the matches this season. Was horrendous against Australia.

Those are my main points of contention which would have changed the direction of the game though. Kolisi hug in slow motion, a yellow, come to expect it, but when do we get those? Based on recent decisions in the north, that's a high tackle and yellow/red everyday and you best believe that if a man in green did that it'd have been a penalised every time. 2 overlapping yelllows would have been critical. In the second half, England were legitimately being called as they were knocking on just about every high ball and were offside the majority of the time among other infringements, the ref could not not call them.

Anyway, it is what it is. Think this is a fixture I'll stop watching because it's wound me up so much over the years. Seasons over on a typical sour note, ruining a gruelling season which would've been great, now it's a just pass on paper. Hopefully the football goes better...
Ah mate, at least you got to watch your country beat them in a WC Final!!!

I agree though, watching your country play England is always....... emotional. England have some cracking players right now, so dont need any favours, though the ref was punishing them the accumulation of yellows was getting ridiculous.

Was another stodgy performance from us today. Solid in the scrum and maul which won us the game, but we couldn't get any front foot ball which didn't make for much of a spectacle. Hogg now our record try scorer and he has been immense all autumn. 3 wins and a defeat to SA and it doesn't feel like an amazing series of games, which is testament to how far we have come, but I think we expect more.

Japan are amazing to watch. They run everything. They need proper games though and I think should be included into the Rugby Championship to enable them to develop.

We've got England next up in Feb. Interestingly poised. New England, running the ball a bit more with a sensational squad of players so we will have to be at our very, very best.

I haven't even responded to your Scotland v SA response yet Zap!
Old 20-11-21, 09:42 PM   #5445
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I can’t remember the last time Wales played a full match against 15 men.
Old 21-11-21, 05:31 PM   #5446
Irishnev
Paisley

Another superb win for us vs Argentina (53-7) and we rotated heavily. The 6 Nations is going to be super competitive
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 05:50 PM   #5447
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Another superb win for us vs Argentina (53-7) and we rotated heavily. The 6 Nations is going to be super competitive
You just pulled back from saying a piece of cake

I watched the France NZ highlights (on Prime) France looked excellent. Agreed though, as ever, the 6Ns is one of the toughest competitions to win in sport.

Italy must be dreading it. They don’t even get near us these days.
Old 21-11-21, 06:35 PM   #5448
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
You just pulled back from saying a piece of cake

I watched the France NZ highlights (on Prime) France looked excellent. Agreed though, as ever, the 6Ns is one of the toughest competitions to win in sport.

Italy must be dreading it. They don’t even get near us these days.
France are favs
Old 27-11-21, 01:52 PM   #5449
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Ah mate, at least you got to watch your country beat them in a WC Final!!!

I agree though, watching your country play England is always....... emotional. England have some cracking players right now, so dont need any favours, though the ref was punishing them the accumulation of yellows was getting ridiculous.

Was another stodgy performance from us today. Solid in the scrum and maul which won us the game, but we couldn't get any front foot ball which didn't make for much of a spectacle. Hogg now our record try scorer and he has been immense all autumn. 3 wins and a defeat to SA and it doesn't feel like an amazing series of games, which is testament to how far we have come, but I think we expect more.

Japan are amazing to watch. They run everything. They need proper games though and I think should be included into the Rugby Championship to enable them to develop.

We've got England next up in Feb. Interestingly poised. New England, running the ball a bit more with a sensational squad of players so we will have to be at our very, very best.

I haven't even responded to your Scotland v SA response yet Zap!
Twice

Couldn't bare to look at any rugby media until mid-week, was furious about it. Have to take it on the chin, wouldn't have cared if it was any other team but it's so fucking typical. Play England, get robbed and then suddenly we're the bitter and twisted ones, they're the biggest fucking moaners in the world in any sport and if half of that happened to them it would be the apocalypse. I see a lot of Bok fans made a lot of content circulating on Youtube about reffing inconsistencies but it's not going to change and we might as well accept it.

The south vs north officiating is different too and something needs to be done about it. We want to preserve the spectacle as much as possible where up there it's all about petty bullshit. I honestly get so frustrated by it but it's set in stone now. I think sometimes common sense should prevail.

Agree about Japan, they play a unique style and will be successful with it if they persevere. It won't happen over night but they've made huge strides already. They do however need to find a way of navigating the physical side better so they don't get beaten up and end up losing purely because of that.

I don't think they should join the Rugby Championship because they'll get beaten (and beaten up) every week. They're not ready. I do think something with the Pacific Island nations could work well. Obviously the physical disparity would still exist, but the skills on offer would possibly be the best in the world. I think they could learn form each other and possibly put on build something for both to be more competitive against better teams.
Old 11-12-21, 07:07 PM   #5450
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Edinburgh beat Saracens

Away!
Old 12-12-21, 09:23 AM   #5451
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Edinburgh beat Saracens

Away!
Stuck in quarantine and isolated from the rest of the family means I have more time on my hands

I saw some of the Leinster game - had it on while watching Liverpool. When they were at it they were formidable - that front row is ridiculous. I also watched Ulster’s win away to Clermont and will obviously watch Munster today - they are missing half a side due to Covid from their tour to ZA but I’m excited to see some of the new breed get a chance. I also saw a Finn Russell masterclass highlights from Friday evening.

I noticed the Edinburgh result and will probably watch plenty of highlights today
Old 12-12-21, 11:32 AM   #5452
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Same, I will catch up on the highlights today. I was out last night and am absolutely hanging today.

Was good to see Leinster lose to Ulster the other week…! I also watched Harlequins Leicester and it was the first bad game I’ve seen from Marcus Smith. He got carded and was far less influential than usual will be interesting to see if he can bounce back

I also watched Racing v Northampton and Finn Russell was at his best as you say, when they play well (and they haven’t been) that Racing team is sensational.

I’ve no idea what the format is for the European competitions this year? Mini leagues and then play offs?
Old 12-12-21, 11:49 AM   #5453
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Same, I will catch up on the highlights today. I was out last night and am absolutely hanging today.

Was good to see Leinster lose to Ulster the other week…! I also watched Harlequins Leicester and it was the first bad game I’ve seen from Marcus Smith. He got carded and was far less influential than usual will be interesting to see if he can bounce back

I also watched Racing v Northampton and Finn Russell was at his best as you say, when they play well (and they haven’t been) that Racing team is sensational.

I’ve no idea what the format is for the European competitions this year? Mini leagues and then play offs?
I think it’s 4 ‘group’ games and only one comes out? I know people were saying there was zero margin for error. I don’t get the big table but though where they are all lumped together - I’m sure it will make sense as I get into it

Re your hangover
Old 12-12-21, 12:02 PM   #5454
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I think it’s 4 ‘group’ games and only one comes out? I know people were saying there was zero margin for error. I don’t get the big table but though where they are all lumped together - I’m sure it will make sense as I get into it

Re your hangover

Beer, wine and stupidly a whisky for the road.

How is your COVID going? Have you been badly affected by it?
Old 12-12-21, 01:43 PM   #5455
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:

Beer, wine and stupidly a whisky for the road.

How is your COVID going? Have you been badly affected by it?
Thursday and Friday were like a bad flu - in and out of bed, high temp but not too high (max 38) and aches + the usual coughing/sneezing. Yesterday temp was almost normal and I was more mobile. Today temp is good but am super congested. Losing taste is the weirdest bit.

My wife isn’t vaccinated, her choice and she had actually come round to going to get it and this happened. The kids aren’t either as they are 8 and 10 so I am worried for them. I am fully isolated - in our bedroom which thankfully is en suite. If I leave here they move away and I wear a mask - separate cup/plate/cutlery etc.

We have a good support structure so are getting food brought and other stuff we need. The kids will be online schooling from tomorrow and I’ll go back to work in a reduced capacity to overcome boredom. The police call here every day and we have to present ourselves - they mix it up with timing also

The timing is shit this close to Christmas and their quarantine is longer than mine so it means a big dash the last few days to get final bits and pieces done. What can you do but suck it up and get on with it.
Old 12-12-21, 06:13 PM   #5456
Irishnev
Paisley

Unbelievable win from Munster with 30+ players missing due to Covid issues from touring ZA. A bonus point with a load of academy lads away from home - wow. Shockingly harsh red for Wasps was a huge factor
Old 12-12-21, 11:45 PM   #5457
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Thursday and Friday were like a bad flu - in and out of bed, high temp but not too high (max 38) and aches + the usual coughing/sneezing. Yesterday temp was almost normal and I was more mobile. Today temp is good but am super congested. Losing taste is the weirdest bit.

My wife isn’t vaccinated, her choice and she had actually come round to going to get it and this happened. The kids aren’t either as they are 8 and 10 so I am worried for them. I am fully isolated - in our bedroom which thankfully is en suite. If I leave here they move away and I wear a mask - separate cup/plate/cutlery etc.

We have a good support structure so are getting food brought and other stuff we need. The kids will be online schooling from tomorrow and I’ll go back to work in a reduced capacity to overcome boredom. The police call here every day and we have to present ourselves - they mix it up with timing also

The timing is shit this close to Christmas and their quarantine is longer than mine so it means a big dash the last few days to get final bits and pieces done. What can you do but suck it up and get on with it.
Yeah the timing is pretty shit, though at least you should be free for Christmas, there are so many people coming dow with it now.

I wouldnt know what to say if my wife didnt take the vaccine it is so obviously important.

Loads of the elements of your isolation sound amazing tbf, just locked away and watching sport uninterupted just the virus ruining it.

I watched the Glasgow game and the Harlequins game and saw the Munster trys. It was a great weekend to show the strength of the much maligned URC. Wins for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Ulster and Edinburgh.

Last edited by Buzzo; 12-12-21 at 11:48 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 11:50 PM   #5458
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Full box of tricks from Finn on Friday.

Old 17-12-21, 11:32 AM   #5459
Irishnev
Paisley

Munster and Wasps has almost 60 players between them missing but played. Leinster picked 12 internationals and it’s forfeited - bizarre

Old 25-01-22, 01:18 PM   #5460
Irishnev
Paisley

Not sure if anyone seen this - kid getting shamed on FB and the rugby world has rallied in support

Old 25-01-22, 01:32 PM   #5461
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He;s had some class responses.

Nigel Owens offering to ref one of their games.

Jerome Kaino, Matthieu Jalibert, Bryan Moore Liam Williams, Robbie Fowler, Rees-Zammit, Agustin Creevy, World Rugby etc. etc.
Old 25-01-22, 01:33 PM   #5462
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Decent article on Keith Earles.
Old 25-01-22, 02:31 PM   #5463
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Decent article on Keith Earles.
Thanks for sharing - I read his book and he did a bunch of Irish tv shows around that time. He’s a Munster legend and could have been even more if he had been able to overcome some of his challenges

He’s from a tough part of Limerick - REALLY TOUGH part. Limerick is the only City in Ireland where rugby is also played by the working class as well. Leinster is built on the private school structure and similar to Cork (Munster) and a few elite schools in Limerick like St Munchins. I used to play football against clubs where he was from and you’d be worried about getting out of there unscathed post game. Cars would be on fire, horses looking out the windows of houses and all sorts of bad shit.

He did well to avoid that - his Uncle was also a big rugby man with Young Munster and Paul O Connell came through the same club.
Old 25-01-22, 07:08 PM   #5464
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Thanks for sharing - I read his book and he did a bunch of Irish tv shows around that time. He’s a Munster legend and could have been even more if he had been able to overcome some of his challenges

He’s from a tough part of Limerick - REALLY TOUGH part. Limerick is the only City in Ireland where rugby is also played by the working class as well. Leinster is built on the private school structure and similar to Cork (Munster) and a few elite schools in Limerick like St Munchins. I used to play football against clubs where he was from and you’d be worried about getting out of there unscathed post game. Cars would be on fire, horses looking out the windows of houses and all sorts of bad shit.

He did well to avoid that - his Uncle was also a big rugby man with Young Munster and Paul O Connell came through the same club.
Really good article

But wtf is this?
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-22, 08:53 PM   #5465
badpiggy
Special Kind of Scum

Moyross baby

It's the equivalent of an alsatian in a pram in Sunderland
"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"
badpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-22, 10:49 PM   #5466
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveloy View Post
Really good article

But wtf is this?
Yep - no word of a lie, many times after games you’d see houses with horses in the front room sticking their head out of an open window

Another famous Limerick image - https://www.facebook.com/TheRubberba...6041319017200/
Old 01-02-22, 08:39 PM   #5467
Irishnev
Paisley

We miss Cormac - no 6 nations chat. Looking forward as always - hard to see beyond France but we’ll have a punt and Scotland with their most settled and in form squad in years
Old 01-02-22, 08:49 PM   #5468
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah we have easily the strongest squad we have ever had. Some amazing players not even in the squad let alone 23.

Looks like rain on Saturday.

Even with a fair few injuries and suspensions England have a ridiculous amount of talent to choose from. There are 5 teams who on their day all have the potential to beat eeach other.

It is a really brutally hard tournament to win.

Ireland look in fine form also, and Wales are somehow always good no matter how shit the club teas are. Looking forward to it/nervous!
Old 01-02-22, 08:58 PM   #5469
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah Cormack is a real miss. Easily the most balanced England Rugby supporter I have exchanged views with.

Also amusing to read the (justified) praise of Markus Smith, he is a real talent for sure. Apparently he and Finn Russell get on well, share an agent and bonded on the Lions tour. However, the amusing part if that Smith doesnt seem to get all the 'maverick' stuff thrown at him that Russell does.
Old 01-02-22, 10:36 PM   #5470
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Yeah Cormack is a real miss. Easily the most balanced England Rugby supporter I have exchanged views with.

Also amusing to read the (justified) praise of Markus Smith, he is a real talent for sure. Apparently he and Finn Russell get on well, share an agent and bonded on the Lions tour. However, the amusing part if that Smith doesnt seem to get all the 'maverick' stuff thrown at him that Russell does.
Cormack was a goodun all right…… building the Scots up already, I love it the bloody Welsh - no form, loads of injuries yet gone 6 Nations they channel the spirit of JPR, Evans and the Jones…… they always step up.

As you said all 5 can beat anyone on their day - I’d fancy us if we had France/England at home but I think it will be France. They’ve finally got their shit together. We are still hugely reliant on 35 year old Sexton……he’ll be cracked after Saturday anyway

Smith is a massively talented player, very rounded with the ability to play off the cuff when needed. Russell is streaky and flakes under pressure……. The epitome of a maverick

White chocolate is brilliant - just wish he was Irish
Old 01-02-22, 11:23 PM   #5471
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Cormack was a goodun all right…… building the Scots up already, I love it the bloody Welsh - no form, loads of injuries yet gone 6 Nations they channel the spirit of JPR, Evans and the Jones…… they always step up.

As you said all 5 can beat anyone on their day - I’d fancy us if we had France/England at home but I think it will be France. They’ve finally got their shit together. We are still hugely reliant on 35 year old Sexton……he’ll be cracked after Saturday anyway

Smith is a massively talented player, very rounded with the ability to play off the cuff when needed. Russell is streaky and flakes under pressure……. The epitome of a maverick

White chocolate is brilliant - just wish he was Irish
No, I'm not feeling confident at all.

I agree with France the way they played taking apart the AB's was incredible, you guys are in a great place.

England have an amazing set of players.

Fucking Wales are Wales never rule them out.

We have the strongest squad we ever have had and absolutely nothing is guaranteed. You need it all - Form, favour and luck to win the 6Ns - we never, ever have all three.

Russell vs Smith is a tantalising prospect, it will be - easily the most hostile atmosphere Smith has ever played in on Sat... can he handle that - we will wait and see. One thing with Farrell was he was utterly unflappable no matter the occassion, we wait to see if Smith is the same. Great to see England moving to an all court game though. Very un-Eddie... I am not sure what to expect from them.

Last edited by Buzzo; 01-02-22 at 11:25 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-22, 02:26 PM   #5472
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Eddie Jones mentioning us as 'red hot favourites'.

I mean, he does know that we all know about how many amazing players he has to choose from in the Gallagher Prem?

It is a pretty unexpected England team though and the absence of the Vunipolas is noticeable. Strong front row and some class operators throughout. I thought Dombrandt may get the nod over Simmonds, but both are class.
Old 03-02-22, 04:52 PM   #5473
Irishnev
Paisley

Liking the Irish pack

Ireland: Hugo Keenan; Andrew Conway, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Mack Hansen; Johnny Sexton (capt), Jamison Gibson Park; Andrew Porter, Ronan Kelleher, Tadhg Furlong; Tadhg Beirne, James Ryan; Caelan Doris, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan

Replacements: Dan Sheehan, Cian Healy, Finlay Bealham, Ryan Baird, Peter O'Mahony, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, James Hume
Old 03-02-22, 06:22 PM   #5474
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah your pack is ferocious.

Have you seen the England team? Pretty inexperienced at test level, but some class players. I just can’t believe Eddie will take the handbrake off.
Old 03-02-22, 07:12 PM   #5475
Irishnev
Paisley

I don’t watch Premiership rugby so some names I’m unfamiliar with - it’s England….. they will be strong

England team: Steward; Malins, Daly, Slade, Marchant; Smith, Youngs; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, Itoje, Isiekwe, Ludlam, Curry (capt), Simmonds.

Replacements: George, Marler, Stuart, Ewels, Dombrandt, Randall, Ford, Nowell.
Old 03-02-22, 07:14 PM   #5476
Irishnev
Paisley

Scots look strong and settled

Scotland team to face England: Hogg; Graham, Harris, Johnson, Van der Merwe; Russell, Price; Sutherland, Turner, Z Fagerson, J Gray, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, M Fagerson.

Replacements: McInally, Schoeman, Nel, Skinner, M Bradbury, White, Kinghorn, Tuipulotu.
Old 03-02-22, 07:29 PM   #5477
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I do watch a lot of the Prem and there are still a few names I am not massively familiar with. Agree though, these are top level players. The front 5 looks very strong for England but there are a lot of untested combos in the backs.

It’s going to be loading down so its all likely moot anyway

We do look settled. Would have liked Cam Redpath in at 13 but he’s just back from injury.

Dreading/looking forward to it.

Will grab a beer and watch you lot hopefully batter the Welsh first.
Old 03-02-22, 11:09 PM   #5478
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I do watch a lot of the Prem and there are still a few names I am not massively familiar with. Agree though, these are top level players. The front 5 looks very strong for England but there are a lot of untested combos in the backs.

It’s going to be loading down so its all likely moot anyway

We do look settled. Would have liked Cam Redpath in at 13 but he’s just back from injury.

Dreading/looking forward to it.

Will grab a beer and watch you lot hopefully batter the Welsh first.
Wales in the 6 Nations are always strong so any win will do - we have decent depth everywhere but still reliant in Sexton. Our pack is the best in the tournament - our front row is insanely good. Kelleher and Porter can reach Furlong levels and Doris will level up.

I wonder will this be the year ye guys finish 4th
Old 03-02-22, 11:26 PM   #5479
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Wales in the 6 Nations are always strong so any win will do - we have decent depth everywhere but still reliant in Sexton. Our pack is the best in the tournament - our front row is insanely good. Kelleher and Porter can reach Furlong levels and Doris will level up.

I wonder will this be the year ye guys finish 4th
Joint third last year

I just hope we play our best Rugby. If we do we will be more than competitive in every game. We should look at what Wales do. Written off every year, club sides pretty poor, yet they always turn up.
Old 03-02-22, 11:29 PM   #5480
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Joint third last year

I just hope we play our best Rugby. If we do we will be more than competitive in every game. We should look at what Wales do. Written off every year, club sides pretty poor, yet they always turn up.
Listened to a few preview pods today - your club sides are going well, Townsend is established, squad and team is settled, good depth, right age profile…… all set up for you. Biggest issue is England first where the margin for error is small……. Watson needs to smash Smith into next week early on

est1892 > General > General Sports