It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 19-01-22, 12:03 PM   #4561
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Reality bites at this point. We can argue all day long about whether in the current market, with current top players, Salah is worth the 400k a week. He might well be when you consider DeGea is on what 350k, Pogba even more... BUT, the reality is we can only afford to pay what the club can afford. We aren't petro dollars or quadrillionaires or whatever the fuck Newcastle are now... we have to pay salaries within our means and commensurate with what other players in the squad will feel is fair. If Salah gets his 400k a week, I have no doubts other agents will be gunning for massive salary rises for their players too... it sets a dangerous precedent when we have finite resources.

I get why Mo (and more so, his agent) wants a massively lucrative deal - he's one of the top three players on the planet right now and worth every penny. Reality is, we don't have deep enough pockets to pay him that. And even if we did, the return on that investment would diminish rapidly in the next couple of seasons due to his age.

It's a Catch 22 situation and likely we'll have a few more of them with Mane, Bobby, Ox, Milner and the like with their contracts/age dilemma.

We need to start investing in back-up/replacements for the front three... another Diogo type, we missed the boat with Bowen, I can't see FSG investing in Bellingham unless we sell one or more of the front three... it's tough for Jurgen to keep getting a tune from an ageing squad with high intensity pressing.

Not sure what the answer is... but whatever concludes... it's not going to please everyone.
Do I think keeping Salah will bring immediate trophies?
I think no as it will limit what else we can invest and we have fallen behind city again.

Do we think putting Salah on a huge contract could be harmful?
Yes

Do we think he may have little resale value in 3 years?
Yes

Are we generally dependent on player sales to support investment?
Yes

Taking the emotion out of it, I think we need to sell him. I think if we got a big fee for him and invested it well then we will stay competitive into the next managers reign. If we don't I think a real risk that the new manager has an even older squad and no money.

Putting the emotion back in I want to keep him and make the signings we need to stay at the top.. But that seems really unlikely.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-22, 12:14 PM   #4562
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Martial is looking for a club.
240k a week he's allegedly on.
Old 19-01-22, 03:50 PM   #4563
RedAndWhite
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
Taking the emotion out of it, I think we need to sell him. I think if we got a big fee for him and invested it well then we will stay competitive into the next managers reign. If we don't I think a real risk that the new manager has an even older squad and no money.

Putting the emotion back in I want to keep him and make the signings we need to stay at the top.. But that seems really unlikely.
I think he will be sold. There are very very few clubs (City, PSG, Utd, Chelsea, Madrid maybe) who can afford to pay him what he wants, and rightly or wrongly we are not one of those.

As for competitive - we will be more than competitive with 18 of the other 19 clubs in the league. Unfortunately for us we can never be consistently competitive with City unless we also get oil money or similar and can just spend without worrying about it.
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-22, 09:59 PM   #4564
Charly
Dalglish

We will never be competitive with City... unless they stop cheating ffp, or we start.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC