It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 16-02-11, 10:37 AM   #121
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post

I remember someone mentioning something like this.....can you please help me out who mentioned it?
Some wally with a bad memory no doubt
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 16-02-11, 10:38 AM   #122
Alex
Administrator

Do we really think he is even close to the first team though? Honestly? Id love to see him come on, but only if he can make the impact. If he is to be Liverpool's youngest ever player, he cant fade away like so many of the other prospects.
Old 16-02-11, 10:38 AM   #123
Reece

It would be a right kick in the teeth if Sterling started ahead of Pacheco.

No way he'll start though I don't think.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:40 AM   #124
Arn
Hodgsoned

KK must be a EST member and listen to me Relegation next?
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:40 AM   #125
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Do we really think he is even close to the first team though? Honestly? Id love to see him come on, but only if he can make the impact. If he is to be Liverpool's youngest ever player, he cant fade away like so many of the other prospects.
No I don't. He's going for the experience IMO.He shouldn't be considered before Pacheco IMO.
Old 16-02-11, 10:40 AM   #126
Drago
Hodgsoned

I can't even seeing him getting on the bench thh. I think it will be all about experience and a reward for that game against Southend to some extent.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:41 AM   #127
Drago
Hodgsoned

Quote:
KK must be a EST member and listen to me Relegation next?
You wanted him on the bench for a league game, he's in the 25 man squad for a Europa game.

There's a slight difference.
Old 16-02-11, 10:42 AM   #128
Arn
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
It would be a right kick in the teeth if Sterling started ahead of Pacheco.

No way he'll start though I don't think.
Why not start with Pacheco and then sub him after 60 minutes with Sterling replacing him?
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:45 AM   #129
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

Am I the only one who's a bit underwhelmed by Pacheco?

He's a talented player no doubt but I feel he's not going to make the breakthrough here because he can't really play out wide successfully and he's not going to get many chances in the middle.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:47 AM   #130
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Why not start with Pacheco and then sub him after 60 minutes with Sterling replacing him?
Sterling looks like he has the skills but honestly I think he would get chewed up and spat out in the premier league. Fine if we are 3up with 10 minutes to go give him a run out by all means but I don;t think we can expect any sort of real impact yet, to small and not strong enough on the ball yet.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:49 AM   #131
Reece

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Am I the only one who's a bit underwhelmed by Pacheco?

He's a talented player no doubt but I feel he's not going to make the breakthrough here because he can't really play out wide successfully and he's not going to get many chances in the middle.
He played on the left of a forward three for Spain in the U19 (or was it U21 I can't remember now) tournament back in the summer, and was excellent there. He's no winger but in a 4-3-3 system he would be fine.

He's always impressed me in his sub appearances with his willingness to receive the ball and try and make something happen. However, like many I feel he suffered under Hodgson's style of play and insistence on playing players out of position.
Old 16-02-11, 10:50 AM   #132
TheElephantMan
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Sterling looks like he has the skills but honestly I think he would get chewed up and spat out in the premier league. Fine if we are 3up with 10 minutes to go give him a run out by all means but I don;t think we can expect any sort of real impact yet, to small and not strong enough on the ball yet.
I agree with this. I don't think it's necessarily his size which is the issue, there are plenty of diminutive players who have been successful in the Premiership.
TheElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:55 AM   #133
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Yep and for the 2nd leg, maybe give Stevie G's little girls a run out too?
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 11:00 AM   #134
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

Quote:
He played on the left of a forward three for Spain in the U19 (or was it U21 I can't remember now) tournament back in the summer, and was excellent there. He's no winger but in a 4-3-3 system he would be fine.

He's always impressed me in his sub appearances with his willingness to receive the ball and try and make something happen. However, like many I feel he suffered under Hodgson's style of play and insistence on playing players out of position.
I remember that tournament when he was ace, but it's different when you play out wide in the Premier League, even if it's a 4-3-3. He doesn't have pace, he's short and he's not very strong, so he's in a huge physical disadvantage in every aspect of the game.

He's very skillful, good passer and is smart and active, so I can see him being successful as a second striker or a playmaker, especially in La Liga, but I don't see him getting games in that position here. His ceiling, in my opinion, is Yossi Benayoun, but he was nowhere near Liverpool at Pacheco's age, which is sort of my point.
Old 16-02-11, 11:03 AM   #135
Reece

Quote:
I remember that tournament when he was ace, but it's different when you play out wide in the Premier League, even if it's a 4-3-3. He doesn't have pace, he's short and he's not very strong, so he's in a huge physical disadvantage in every aspect of the game.

He's very skillful, good passer and is smart and active, so I can see him being successful as a second striker or a playmaker, especially in La Liga, but I don't see him getting games in that position here. His ceiling, in my opinion, is Yossi Benayoun, but he was nowhere near Liverpool at Pacheco's age, which is sort of my point.
All fair points

It certainly remains to be seen if he can make it in the Premier League. It would probably have made sense to loan him out to someone like WBA (although not now, for obvious reasons ) to see how he did.
Old 16-02-11, 11:07 AM   #136
SB
Paisley

Quote:
All fair points

It certainly remains to be seen if he can make it in the Premier League. It would probably have made sense to loan him out to someone like WBA (although not now, for obvious reasons ) to see how he did.
Yeah the bodger would play him in goal
Old 16-02-11, 11:26 AM   #137
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElephantMan View Post
I agree with this. I don't think it's necessarily his size which is the issue, there are plenty of diminutive players who have been successful in the Premiership.

He needs to develop a bit more on the strength side before getting extended game-time (even in supposed unimportant games). I too don't believe size will be a major factor, but without the strength to hold onto the ball he'll be found wanting at such a young stage. One of Messi's true abilities is his pure strength with the ball at this feet, his ability to hold off people........thats a significant portion of his game, as well the the skill, control and pace.

Even in the cameo appearance he had in pre-season, he really looked like a boy playing with a bunch of men......even with the bad challenge he made after coming on
There's talent there no doubt, but I would be extremely reluctant to rush him too soon. Get him to work on his upper body strength, shielding and aggression, involve him in the squad by all means (as with all the young prospects), but avoid the temptation to chuck a boy into a man's game for the sake of a few headlines, at least not until he's ready.
McDermotX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 11:37 AM   #138
Exiled_red
Paisley

I wouldn't see anything wrong with giving him the last few (10) minutes if we're not up against it, it could inspire him (and the other lads at the academy) or make him realise the aspects of his game he needs to work on. The youth level is obviously too easy for him, and he needs to keep pushing himself if he is to develop.
Old 16-02-11, 12:06 PM   #139
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Yep and for the 2nd leg, maybe give Stevie G's little girls a run out too?
Don't think we registered her in time, unfortunatley................
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 01:20 PM   #140
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

He's progressing fine as it is, put him on the bench now and then, if we take a big lead give him a run out. No point throwing him in and getting pushed off the ball, last thing he needs is a loss of confidence
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 16-02-11, 05:01 PM   #141
The Birdman
Dalglish

Take him out of the cotton wool, if he's good enough then he's old enough.
No-one is talking about starting 15 consecutive games, we're discussing some substitute appearances where he can come on an make an impact.
His pace is the key to surviving in the PL, yes he'll be out muscled but defenders need to get close to him first.
Sometimes a player comes along who out develops the level he is playing at, Sterling is clearly far too good for U18 football and has regularly played well for the reserves - he is one that could start to go backwards if he isn't challenged because he appears to find it all so god damn easy.

QPR fans must be spewing, it's not as if they needed the money
Old 16-02-11, 05:18 PM   #142
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
Take him out of the cotton wool, if he's good enough then he's old enough.
No-one is talking about starting 15 consecutive games, we're discussing some substitute appearances where he can come on an make an impact.
His pace is the key to surviving in the PL, yes he'll be out muscled but defenders need to get close to him first.
Sometimes a player comes along who out develops the level he is playing at, Sterling is clearly far too good for U18 football and has regularly played well for the reserves - he is one that could start to go backwards if he isn't challenged because he appears to find it all so god damn easy.

QPR fans must be spewing, it's not as if they needed the money
I think we got him for peanuts as well*. But I agree, he needs regular games for the reserves plus substitue apps for the first team IMO.

* Yup, 500.000 accoring to Wiki

Last edited by The_weatherman; 16-02-11 at 05:21 PM.
The_weatherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 07:22 PM   #143
saj
No sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
I think we got him for peanuts as well*. But I agree, he needs regular games for the reserves plus substitue apps for the first team IMO.

* Yup, 500.000 accoring to Wiki
Rising to 5m I think
Old 16-02-11, 07:24 PM   #144
Gray
Dalglish

LFCTV said rising to 2m
Old 16-02-11, 07:31 PM   #145
Gibbo
Like a boss

I posted a goal of his in the great goals thread a few weeks ago, he takes on a few players and bends it in the corner of the goal, if he keeps progressing as he is we could have quite the player on our hands
Old 16-02-11, 07:33 PM   #146
ukfootballfan101
Benitez

From twitter, a quote from this evenings press conference:-

by empireofthekop
Dalglish on Raheem: We've got a babysitter organised for him tonight at the hotel and he's doing his homework before he goes to sleep! LOL
ukfootballfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 08:06 PM   #147
Chrono
Almost The Shittest Cowboy

I've got a strong feeling he will come on regardless of how the game is going. Psychologically it would be massive for all the reserves and younger players.
Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 08:16 PM   #148
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
I've got a strong feeling he will come on regardless of how the game is going. Psychologically it would be massive for all the reserves and younger players.
I agree. I think it would send the right message to everyone. Play well at reserve/youth level and you'll get noticed and rewarded with a chance.
Old 16-02-11, 09:45 PM   #149
JohnOK
Benitez

Quote:
I agree. I think it would send the right message to everyone. Play well at reserve/youth level and you'll get noticed and rewarded with a chance.
And is a great point to make with signing potential youngsters, sign for us and you'll play sooner than at Utd, Chelsea or City.
JohnOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 10:56 PM   #150
Vermilion
Shooterista

Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 08:23 AM   #151
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

This kid looks the real deal.......John Barnes reincarnated
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 09:47 AM   #152
TheElephantMan
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This kid looks the real deal.......John Barnes reincarnated
He's the new Pele! Really.
TheElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 09:53 AM   #153
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElephantMan View Post
He's the new Pele! Really.
Hhhmmm i'd like to subscribe to your theory
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 01:14 PM   #154
Vermilion
Shooterista

Just talking about him on TalkSpite, He's from Jamaica originally, came over here when he was around six years old.
Old 17-02-11, 01:16 PM   #155
Drago
Hodgsoned

Left winger, born in Jamaica & raised in London.

Sounds familiar.
Old 17-02-11, 01:28 PM   #156
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Left winger, born in Jamaica & raised in London.

Sounds familiar.
Just been compared to Messi on the radio by the bloke who discovered him for qpr, well not compared but said he can be that good iho.

No pressure like.

Saying how when Liverpool came in for him he had his arm around Raheem trying to persuade him to stay at Qpr, trouble was......Kenny also has his arm around Raheem telling him something else.

Last edited by Vermilion; 17-02-11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 17-02-11, 02:10 PM   #157
IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST
Hodgsoned

That sounds a bit wrong. the kenny bit.
IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 02:45 PM   #158
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
Just been compared to Messi on the radio by the bloke who discovered him for qpr, well not compared but said he can be that good iho.

No pressure like.

Saying how when Liverpool came in for him he had his arm around Raheem trying to persuade him to stay at Qpr, trouble was......Kenny also has his arm around Raheem telling him something else.
I can see that comparison though - in terms of style, he's more Messi than Barnes. Barnes was bigger and stronger, a more powerful specimen. Sterling, like Messi, is very small and nimble.
Old 17-02-11, 02:47 PM   #159
Rudo
Hodgsoned

Aye true, Barnsey was a beast of a man, strong as an ox.
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 02:48 PM   #160
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

Aye, he was. In fairness, we're looking at a full grown adult in Barnes, and what is still a child in Sterling

But that said, he's always going to be small and nimble, so i stand by the Messi comparison ahead of the Barnes one, style-wise.

est1892 > Football > General Football