It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 04-11-06, 10:25 PM   #1
Morph
Spin doctor

Mark Gonzalez

Only just remembered this now, but on the one or two closeups there were of him, it looked like he had a black eye.

Can anyone confirm this, and does anyone know how it happened.

It could easily have been a training ground accident, or maybe there was more to it, he'd been out for about 2 weeks hadn't he?
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 04-11-06, 10:29 PM   #2
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He definitely had a shiner. Maybe somebody smacked him on Slater Street or summat.

I'm still convinced something is amiss with Gonzalez, in terms of his fitness and/or, er, 'professionalism'. There's something we've not been told, I'm sure of it.
Old 04-11-06, 10:32 PM   #3
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Nights out on the lash, illness, injury, hangovers, bustups in training, it's all been branded about recently.

He doesn't exactly strike me as the type of lad who's willing to go the extra yard on a cold Tuesday night away at Portsmouth, when we're 1-0 down with ten to play.
anfieldanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:35 PM   #4
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso
He definitely had a shiner. Maybe somebody smacked him on Slater Street or summat.

I'm still convinced something is amiss with Gonzalez, in terms of his fitness and/or, er, 'professionalism'. There's something we've not been told, I'm sure of it.
I thought something along these lines, but didn't want to go suggesting such. Something does seem amiss with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sold on as he just doesn't look settled and doesn't seem 'fit in' if you understand me.
Old 04-11-06, 10:39 PM   #5
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

He's certainly not settled in yet. As for these baseless speculative rumours, I think they're best left.
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Red Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:40 PM   #6
lfc4ever
But call me Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphorino
I thought something along these lines, but didn't want to go suggesting such. Something does seem amiss with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sold on as he just doesn't look settled and doesn't seem 'fit in' if you understand me.
<heavy sigh> At the beginning of this season I couldn't wait for the season to start, Gonzales & Pennant as wingers and I thought great, finally, some true width, and what happens? Sweet FA happens!! No further on down the road than where we started, and our best team this year is nearly the one that finished last year! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-06, 10:41 PM   #7
Red_Al_77

Not sure how you can tell all this from just one 90 game and 5 or 6 half games ( and two goals). He's been injured and was struggling to get his fitness at the start of the season. I don't think we should be fueling stupid rumours.
Old 04-11-06, 10:44 PM   #8
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Al_77
I don't think we should be fueling stupid rumours.
Aye
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Red Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:49 PM   #9
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
Not sure how you can tell all this from just one 90 game and 5 or 6 half games ( and two goals). He's been injured and was struggling to get his fitness at the start of the season. I don't think we should be fueling stupid rumours.
nope neither do I, which is why I didn't suggest anything, just wondered if anyone knew anything about it because I hadn't seen it mentioned yet.
Old 04-11-06, 10:54 PM   #10
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chilli
Aye
To be honest, I'm much more inclined to believe the Gonzalez rumours than the Gerrard rumours.

There's something about Gonzalez' attitude and demeanour that fairly screams 'lazy, playboy, I'm here for the free drinks', dont you think ?
Old 04-11-06, 11:09 PM   #11
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfieldanfield
To be honest, I'm much more inclined to believe the Gonzalez rumours than the Gerrard rumours.

There's something about Gonzalez' attitude and demeanour that fairly screams 'lazy, playboy, I'm here for the free drinks', dont you think ?
So you would believe the rumours about him over the Gerrard rumours because he's a decent looking lad? Thats basically what you're saying? Mental. He's been far from lazy whenever ive seen him play, maybe your TV screen says differently though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 11:25 PM   #12
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
So you would believe the rumours about him over the Gerrard rumours because he's a decent looking lad? Thats basically what you're saying? Mental. He's been far from lazy whenever ive seen him play, maybe your TV screen says differently though.
I've seen him play live Chris and he hasn't particulary impressed me then, either.

It's not just because he's a decent looking lad with an idiotic 'boyband' hairstyle.

Do I need to remind you why he now refuses to play for his national side ?

There have been a million and one stories of him hitting every bar in town since his arrival, not to mention a supposed bust up with Bellamy, "illness, and now a pretty obvious black eye, do you think he got that falling down the stairs ?

No smoke without fire, eh ?
Old 05-11-06, 12:02 AM   #13
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
well said!
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 12:03 AM   #14
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:

what a load of rubbish.
Old 05-11-06, 12:07 AM   #15
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtangle01
what a load of rubbish.
Ofcourse, it was half tongue in cheek.
Old 05-11-06, 12:08 AM   #16
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
Ofcourse, my tongue was in his cheeks.
Eh?
Old 05-11-06, 12:09 AM   #17
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Eh?
This 'trying to be funny' thing is harder than it sounds, eh Morphy ?

Old 05-11-06, 12:10 AM   #18
Tom
Dalglish

He's had a bad virus that's been draining. He's basically not match fit and it shows.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 12:10 AM   #19
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
He's had a bad virus that's been draining. He's basically not match fit and it shows.
Did the virus smack him in the face?
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 12:11 AM   #20
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I originally thought something along those lines
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 05-11-06, 12:11 AM   #21
Red_Al_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Don't let facts get in the way of rumour Tom.
Old 05-11-06, 12:11 AM   #22
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
This 'trying to be funny' thing is harder than it sounds, eh Morphy ?

eh?
Old 05-11-06, 12:11 AM   #23
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS
that was funny tho
Old 05-11-06, 12:12 AM   #24
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I'm bloody desperate for Gonzalez to be a success. He was fucking great in La Liga last season and if he can get back to that kind of form we'll have a proper player on our hands. I'm sad and frustrated that things haven't started well for him (although he's been far from poor) but it is very early days still and there's plenty of time for him to come good.

I'm just worried about it. We went to great lengths to sign him, kicked up a major fuss over the work permit thing, yet Rafa seems reluctant to trust him. Strangely he opted to start him at Old Toilet when he's given him very few starts otherwise, so there are signs Rafa still has faith.

Personally I want to see him starting every week on the left and give the lad a run of games (which he's not once had) - but something seems to be preventing that situation from arising. Maybe it's just injuries - he's had more than his fair share of niggles and illness - but I fear it's more than that.

I don't wish to fuel any silly rumours.
Old 05-11-06, 12:12 AM   #25
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Ofcourse, it was half tongue in cheek.

Fair enough but the lad should be judged at the end of the season not afer a few games that have been blighted by injury.

Whenever I've seen him play he's impressed me quite a bit. He doesn't look like the finished article yet but I'm sure that he'll improve the more he plays.
Old 05-11-06, 12:15 AM   #26
Craig_H

Without wishing to annoy too many people, i'd be inclined to suggest that Mark Gonzalez and Jermaine Pennant are what happens when you allocate £10m to two wingers....

Last edited by Craig_H; 05-11-06 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-11-06, 12:17 AM   #27
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso
I'm bloody desperate for Gonzalez to be a success. He was fucking great in La Liga last season and if he can get back to that kind of form we'll have a proper player on our hands. I'm sad and frustrated that things haven't started well for him (although he's been far from poor) but it is very early days still and there's plenty of time for him to come good.

I'm just worried about it. We went to great lengths to sign him, kicked up a major fuss over the work permit thing, yet Rafa seems reluctant to trust him. Strangely he opted to start him at Old Toilet when he's given him very few starts otherwise, so there are signs Rafa still has faith.

Personally I want to see him starting every week on the left and give the lad a run of games (which he's not once had) - but something seems to be preventing that situation from arising. Maybe it's just injuries - he's had more than his fair share of niggles and illness - but I fear it's more than that.

I don't wish to fuel any silly rumours.
I remeber at the end of the Galatasary match when he seemd to be struggling a bit. After that he played at old toilet and didn't look as effective. I think it's injuries that have kept him out. And what's to say the black eye wasn't the result of an accidental trainig ground collision?
Old 05-11-06, 12:21 AM   #28
Tom
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS

With a leek apparantly.
Old 05-11-06, 12:23 AM   #29
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS
Without wishing to annoy too many people, i'd be inclined to suggest that Mark Gonzalez and Jermaine Pennant are what happens when you allocate 10m to two wingers....
You're spot on.

Far too many 'possibilities' have been purchased under Rafa's reign and not enough first team regulars.
Old 05-11-06, 12:23 AM   #30
Tom
Dalglish

We also have to give him the benefit of the doubt. In 2 years he's moved from south america to spain. then been uprooted again to merseyside. That's a huge cultural shift. Let's see where we are next season with this kid.
Old 05-11-06, 12:25 AM   #31
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
We also have to give him the benefit of the doubt. In 2 years he's moved from south america to spain. then been uprooted again to merseyside. That's a huge cultural shift. Let's see where we are next season with this kid.
Spot on!
Old 05-11-06, 12:26 AM   #32
Tom
Dalglish

Quote:
You're spot on.

Far too many 'possibilities' have been purchased under Rafa's reign and not enough first team regulars.
cough cough, alonso, momo, reina, garcia.....

Rafa gambles - but he has to as we haven't got he money for *galacticos*.

the good thing about rafa though is that he moves players on quickly if they don't cut it.
Old 05-11-06, 12:26 AM   #33
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
You're spot on.

Crouch
Kuyt
Reina
Alonso
Sissoko
and Garcia sometimes

how do they grab ya?
Old 05-11-06, 12:28 AM   #34
Morph
Spin doctor

Rafa's possibilities:

Agger
Belamy
Pennant
Gonzalez
Carson
Paletta

Don't look that bad to me
Old 05-11-06, 12:28 AM   #35
Red_Al_77

Anfieldanfield I respect your opinion but you are talking rubbish. The others have written lists. Nuff said.
Old 05-11-06, 12:30 AM   #36
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
cough cough, alonso, momo, reina, garcia.....

Rafa gambles - but he has to as we haven't got he money for *galacticos*.

the good thing about rafa though is that he moves players on quickly if they don't cut it.
Rafa's had over 60m to spend, he's wasted far too much of it on 'squad players' and 'backup'.

Last summer he brought in Aurelio, Gonzalez, Pennant and Bellamy.

I would've kept Cisse and Hamann and bid 15m for ONE world class attacking winger like Vicente, Jaoquin or maybe even the lad Lennon.

Our squad is already far, far too big.
Old 05-11-06, 12:32 AM   #37
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Rafa's possibilities:

Agger
Belamy
Pennant
Gonzalez
Carson
Paletta

Don't look that bad to me
Pennant ? Back up for 7m. And he's a criminal. Wow.

Gonzalez ? Jury is still well and truly out on this one.

Bellamy ? Any better than Cisse, I dont think so.
Old 05-11-06, 12:34 AM   #38
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:
Rafa's had over 60m to spend, he's wasted far too much of it on 'squad players' and 'backup'.

Last summer he brought in Aurelio, Gonzalez, Pennant and Bellamy.

I would've kept Cisse and Hamann and bid 15m for ONE world class attacking winger like Vicente, Jaoquin or maybe even the lad Lennon.

Our squad is already far, far too big.
Disagree with keeping Cisse, the guy didn't cut it end of.

Hamman I would have kept, but he new his opportunities were limited so he decided to go for himself, can't do much about that.

With hindsight it might have been better to put the Pennant and Bellamy money together and get a winger, but Rafa was probably banking on having the Cisse money, so we don't know what might have been.
Old 05-11-06, 12:34 AM   #39
Craig_H

If we're gonna actually challenge for the title, we need to reach the point where the 'depth' is sufficient enough to allow us to spend an entire summer budget on just a couple of signings.
Old 05-11-06, 12:34 AM   #40
Tom
Dalglish

Hamman didn't want to stay. It was his choice to leave.

And for 60 million Rafa has bought the spine of an entire new team: Reina, Momo, Alonso, Kuyt, Crouch, Garcia, plus the ones you mention

That's a bargain in modern football terms when you consider that utd and chelski will spend half of that on one player.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC