It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 01-02-21, 10:57 PM   #121
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Ben Davies reflected on the 'surreal' feeling of signing for Liverpool while stating his ambition to maximise an unmissable opportunity.

The 25-year-old defender joined the Reds from Preston North End on Monday and, shortly after penning a long-term contract, sat down for an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.com.

Ben, first of all, welcome to LiverpoolÖ

Brilliant, thanks for that. Iím obviously delighted to be here. Iíve been here about 10 minutes and [feel] settled. Everything is incredible.

Can you give us an insight into whatís going on in your head right now? Youíre sat here at Anfield, a Liverpool playerÖ

Well, I obviously havenít got my head around it! Itís happened really fast. There were a few other things that were going on and then all of a sudden this came up and obviously it was an opportunity that I could never turn down. So I went with the go-ahead and now weíre here. It just seems like itís gone that quick and itís fantastic.

What have the last 24 hours been like?

Hectic, mad! Really good. All well-wishes and just everyone that Iíve known wishing me well and loads of people in Barrow [his hometown] saying: ĎCongratulations and I hope it goes well.í

I imagine your phone has been blowing upÖ

Yeah, I had to turn it off last night because it was too much! Iíve got the missus as my main contact and then turned it off and relaxed because it was every two minutes [that] it was going. It was mental.

Did you manage to get much sleep last night?

I want to say yes, but not really! I was excited really, I just wanted to get it all sorted. I couldn't sleep to be honest so I pulled the head off it for 20 minutes and got off at about 1am in the end I think, and then I was up early to come and get the medical all done. Itís been tiring.

For the Liverpool fans watching this interview, how would you describe yourself as a player?

I like to pass the ball. I think in the last sort of six months to a year Iíve started bringing it out from the back a lot more, and playing out from the back and carrying the ball forward rather than just passing. I think my game is developing all the time and obviously clean sheets and defending [are important] as well.

You mentioned Ďdevelopingí there Ė you are only 25 so is this an opportunity for you to come to Liverpool and learn from the likes of Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip?

Itís a huge opportunity, yeah. Obviously it came as a bit of a surprise when it first came out but once you start to get your head around it, the opportunity that is in front of me is incredible and Iíd be silly to let it wash up or not make the most of it and [Iíll] try to learn off the players you have just mentioned.

Just how highly do you rate someone like Van Dijk?

Top, top! I think most people say he is the best in the world so to have him day-to-day as a teammate is incredible and Iím looking forward to it.

Just how ready do you feel you are for the challenge of stepping up and playing for a club like Liverpool?

I think in the Championship, especially this season, Iíve felt more and more comfortable playing there and I can get through games, not with ease but fairly comfortably and I think now, regardless of where I was going to go, I was going to look to move on to get a new challenge. For it to be here, with the league champions, is obviously a bit surreal at the minute, but itís something that Iím really going to get my teeth into and look forward to.

When it all settles down a little bit for you and things become a bit more normal, what is your mindset coming here? Is it to compete for a place as soon as possible?

Yeah, 100 per cent. I think a football career is so short and you need to try to be on that pitch as much as you can. So when this door is open, I look to come in and try to get in the first team, play some games and help the team do well.

What about the prospect of playing at Anfield and having it as your home stadium?

Incredible. Iíve never actually been to Anfield and I havenít had a look around yet. I had a quick look out and had a look at the pitch and it looks like carpet, which obviously youíd expect. I havenít actually walked out of the tunnel yet, so Iím looking forward to that. Just to be in this kind of atmosphere is brilliant.

Did it make it a little bit more real for you when you drove up and there was Anfield?

Yeah, a little bit. As I say, Iíve never been before so Iím keen to have a proper look around and then hopefully over the next sort of week or two weeks itíll sink in and then become more regular. I donít want to wish this moment over right now, but at the same time I want to kind of get it out of the way, get in and meet my teammates and move forward.

You actually played against us in a friendly in 2014. What did you remember about that day and would you ever have thought six-and-a-half years later youíd be sitting in this chair having just signed for Liverpool?

It was a long time ago. Iíve got a picture on Instagram of me and, I think, Stewart Downing because I had about 10 minutes when I was about 17 I think. It was brilliant that day, I remember it being a full house. But looking forward, I never thought that it would eventually flip around. Obviously Iím delighted that it has.

Have you had an opportunity to speak to JŁrgen Klopp yet?

No, weíre going to go, I believe, to the training ground after this and get in touch with him then.

How much are you looking forward to playing for him?

Immensely. I think his enthusiasm and what he gets out of his players week in, week out Ė the intensity Ė is brilliant. Itís kind of one of those things where you just want to be part of it and obviously to have the opportunity is fantastic.

You kind of touched upon it in an earlier answer, but what do you hope to achieve here at Liverpool? Whatís the dream?

I want to come in and play games to start with, I want to get my foot in the door and make myself a Premier League player rather than obviously a Championship player. And then take it from there really. I know weíve got some top players here and players I can certainly learn from. Once you get your foot in the door then youíre here as well. Hopefully I can take my chance and then move forward with it.

What would your message be to Liverpool fans?

Just to be excited really, like I am. Iím looking forward to coming in and playing in front of everyone and showing everyone what I can do. Iím sure a lot of fans and people donít know [me], or havenít even seen me play. Itís definitely an exciting time and I think theyíll quite enjoy watching me when Iím playing well.

What did you think when you watched Liverpool win in Istanbul? Did it feel amazing? Did you think 'wow what a club'?

I did yes.

You mentioned earlier about embracing this moment today and allowing yourself to enjoy it Ė when do you think it will all sink in that youíre a Liverpool player?

Itís a good question! Iím not sure really. I thought it would be maybe today Ė last night I thought it might be today. Now Iím thinking maybe tomorrow. I think itís going to be a good week or so, maybe when weíve had a couple of games and Iíve had a few training sessions with the lads; just a bit of normality really because, as I say, itís been a bit mental!

How do you think it will feel going into that first training session?

Iím sure once I get there all the lads will be welcoming, I think Iíll feel part of it straight away, to be honest. Once youíre on the football pitch itís the same whether itís a training session or a massive league game or cup game or whatever. Once you start playing then you forget about everything. Itís excitement more than anything.

Just finally, a few Liverpool fans want us to ask you this questionÖ whatever happened to the sofa?

[Laughs] Someone bought it! Someone I played with at Southport messaged me and came and picked it up and took it. Got it for a good price!
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-02-21, 11:24 PM   #122
Assassin
Kloppite

“I pulled the head off it for 20 minutes”.
Old 01-02-21, 11:33 PM   #123
Irishnev
Shankly

What did you think when you watched Liverpool win in Istanbul? Did it feel amazing? Did you think 'wow what a club'?

I did yes.

A subtle one no doubt......
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 11:38 PM   #124
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay View Post

This one looks like he is taking a piss in front of the This is Anfield sign.
Old 02-02-21, 01:14 AM   #125
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Or a massive two handed wank.
Old 02-02-21, 01:14 AM   #126
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Bump

Half way down the page already
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 02:09 AM   #127
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Honest to god. He must be laughing his tits off. Welcome Ben 😃
Old 02-02-21, 02:25 AM   #128
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Just how ready do you feel you are for the challenge of stepping up and playing for a club like Liverpool?

I think in the Championship, especially this season, I’ve felt more and more comfortable playing there and I can get through games, not with ease but fairly comfortably and I think now, regardless of where I was going to go, I was going to look to move on to get a new challenge.
Not very then.
Old 02-02-21, 02:28 AM   #129
Fivex
The Wisp

Thought that was a slight edit tbf
Old 02-02-21, 08:11 AM   #130
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

There was no edit. He really did say that.
Old 02-02-21, 11:55 AM   #131
rodo
Shankly

Preston fans all talk very highly of this lad
Old 02-02-21, 12:01 PM   #132
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Aye the lad i spoke to is in a bit of a strop about it.
Old 02-02-21, 12:29 PM   #133
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
Aye the lad i spoke to is in a bit of a strop about it.
Because he's left Preston? He was leaving regardless wasn't a deal to Celtic almost wrapped up before we nipped in?
Old 02-02-21, 01:21 PM   #134
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Aye, just a general grumpiness about him going.
Old 02-02-21, 02:48 PM   #135
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
ďI pulled the head off it for 20 minutesĒ.
Funniest misquote I've heard so far this year!...be hard to beat this one!
Old 02-02-21, 03:26 PM   #136
kubrickscube
Fagan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtKu2QFX...jpg&name=small
You can’t piss there mate.

Last edited by kubrickscube; 02-02-21 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Some bugger beat me to it
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 04:15 PM   #137
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
Itís ok, he was just having a sly wank, canít blame him really.
Old 01-03-21, 01:51 PM   #138
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Remember this bloke?
Old 01-03-21, 01:53 PM   #139
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Remember this bloke?

Would have to see him play for us before we had something to remember.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 01:55 PM   #140
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Remember this bloke?
Feel sorry for him. All his friends and family will be made up with his move and he'll not play a game. He'll be sold in the summer.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-03-21, 01:57 PM   #141
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

If he expected anything different, he's a dumb ass.
Old 01-03-21, 01:58 PM   #142
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Was he just busy last night? Didn't even manage to dislodge one of the 2 keepers on the bench.

I keep getting him and Phillips mixed up, so I spent a good hour thinking he was making his debut.
Old 01-03-21, 02:00 PM   #143
Pepe79
Shankly

Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 02:48 PM   #144
fah-q
Touching cloth

Minor slowness issue more like
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 03:50 PM   #145
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Ben who?
Old 02-03-21, 12:31 PM   #146
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Old 02-03-21, 12:37 PM   #147
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Old 02-03-21, 12:52 PM   #148
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Bit harsh lads. Give him a chance
Peter_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 09:23 AM   #149
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Griffin View Post
Bit harsh lads. Give him a chance
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 09:33 AM   #150
Charly
Dalglish

Is he still injured? Must be cursing his luck. He will be 6th choice next season.
Old 06-04-21, 10:37 AM   #151
Irishnev
Shankly

I’ve seen him in training pics - he was played LB in the recent squad 11v11 game and he looked knackered from the highlights + was roasted by Gordon a couple of times
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC