It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-12, 03:42 PM   #1
Red_hot
Paisley
 
Red_hot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,898
The Running/Keeping Fit Thread

Anyone got any??

Think we should have a thread to share our experiences/tips with other members.

I'll start. I started running a couple of months ago and I am loving it. Up to 5k now and doing the 5k in Liverpool on May 5th for The Stroke Association. Started out doing interval training. Run 1 min, walk 2 and built it up like that. Struggled to walk for a minute at first and now I can run 40! Out tonight and I can't wait. Running makes me feel great, have lost a dress size, toned up and got fitter.

What's everyone else been doing?

Oh, and today I bought a Shake Weight. You know those things that make you look like you're giving someone a wank? Bingos will soon be history. Alex Gerrard said so.
__________________
RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFAEL BENITEZ!
Red_hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 19-04-12, 03:46 PM   #2
Red_hot
Paisley
 
Red_hot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,898
Oh, and my diet tip for today is flaxseed. Sprinkle over cereal/stirfrys etc

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...a/flaxinfo.htm
__________________
RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFAEL BENITEZ!
Red_hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 03:53 PM   #3
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
Anyone got any??

Think we should have a thread to share our experiences/tips with other members.

I'll start. I started running a couple of months ago and I am loving it. Up to 5k now and doing the 5k in Liverpool on May 5th for The Stroke Association. Started out doing interval training. Run 1 min, walk 2 and built it up like that. Struggled to walk for a minute at first and now I can run 40! Out tonight and I can't wait. Running makes me feel great, have lost a dress size, toned up and got fitter.

What's everyone else been doing?

Oh, and today I bought a Shake Weight. You know those things that make you look like you're giving someone a wank? Bingos will soon be history. Alex Gerrard said so.
it sounds like what your doing works anyway? and on top of that your enjoying it. so carry on i suppose and mix it up a bit if you can
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 04:18 PM   #4
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
Anyone got any??

Think we should have a thread to share our experiences/tips with other members.

I'll start. I started running a couple of months ago and I am loving it. Up to 5k now and doing the 5k in Liverpool on May 5th for The Stroke Association. Started out doing interval training. Run 1 min, walk 2 and built it up like that. Struggled to walk for a minute at first and now I can run 40! Out tonight and I can't wait. Running makes me feel great, have lost a dress size, toned up and got fitter.

What's everyone else been doing?

Oh, and today I bought a Shake Weight. You know those things that make you look like you're giving someone a wank? Bingos will soon be history. Alex Gerrard said so.
I think you forgot there's only about 2 other females that use this site

P.S. Craig just PM'd me asking if I could convince you to post pics of you using said wank device
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 04:25 PM   #5
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,204
its called a hand pablo
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 04:31 PM   #6
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
Running makes me feel great, have lost a dress size, toned up and got fitter.
you're a bird, right
__________________
Champions of Europe and the World. removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:26 PM   #7
Red_hot
Paisley
 
Red_hot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
you're a bird, right
Last time I looked.
__________________
RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFAEL BENITEZ!
Red_hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 05:19 PM   #8
Assassin
Kloppite
 
Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
Anyone got any??

Think we should have a thread to share our experiences/tips with other members.

I'll start. I started running a couple of months ago and I am loving it. Up to 5k now and doing the 5k in Liverpool on May 5th for The Stroke Association. Started out doing interval training. Run 1 min, walk 2 and built it up like that. Struggled to walk for a minute at first and now I can run 40! Out tonight and I can't wait. Running makes me feel great, have lost a dress size, toned up and got fitter.

What's everyone else been doing?

Oh, and today I bought a Shake Weight. You know those things that make you look like you're giving someone a wank? Bingos will soon be history. Alex Gerrard said so.
As you are doing things for the "Stroke Association" you can play with my "Shake weight"

Tip of the day. Eat less calories than you burn.
__________________
Sillyness in motion
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 05:58 PM   #9
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!
 
Craig_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 63,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post

Tip of the day. Eat less calories than you burn.
And you will die.
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 05:59 PM   #10
Assassin
Kloppite
 
Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
And you will die.
Its great for weightloss
__________________
Sillyness in motion
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:01 PM   #11
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!
 
Craig_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 63,853
Pretty good for loss of everything, really
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:04 PM   #12
Assassin
Kloppite
 
Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Its a case of knowing when to stop, or you drop
__________________
Sillyness in motion
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:09 PM   #13
Phoenix07
The Normal One
 
Phoenix07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,886
This was my weight loss routine when I shed 3 stone:

Breakfast: Oats with soya milk and one scoop of whey protein

Snack: Yoghurt

Lunch: Tuna sandwich OR Salmon Omelette

Snack: Apple and cottage cheese

Dinner: Salmon/Chicken/Turkey with brown rice and vegetables.

Late Snack: Oat and banana smoothie.

Exercise: 3 days of HIIT sprints for 15 mins. 3 days of 5k gentle running on alternate days. Press-ups, situps and leg squats on each day.

On my rest day, I have a cheat. This means I binge on everything sweet and fattening. Absolute boss.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:25 PM   #14
Red_hot
Paisley
 
Red_hot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix06 View Post
This was my weight loss routine when I shed 3 stone:

Breakfast: Oats with soya milk and one scoop of whey protein

Snack: Yoghurt

Lunch: Tuna sandwich OR Salmon Omelette

Snack: Apple and cottage cheese

Dinner: Salmon/Chicken/Turkey with brown rice and vegetables.

Late Snack: Oat and banana smoothie.

Exercise: 3 days of HIIT sprints for 15 mins. 3 days of 5k gentle running on alternate days. Press-ups, situps and leg squats on each day.

On my rest day, I have a cheat. This means I binge on everything sweet and fattening. Absolute boss.
You definitely have to have a cheat day or you'd just get fed up! I like your menu, some good ideas there! How'd you make the oat and banana smoothie? Well done on the weight loss!!
__________________
RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFAEL BENITEZ!
Red_hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:46 PM   #15
Phoenix07
The Normal One
 
Phoenix07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
You definitely have to have a cheat day or you'd just get fed up! I like your menu, some good ideas there! How'd you make the oat and banana smoothie? Well done on the weight loss!!
I chopped up a banana, glass of milk and a mug of oats into a blender and whisked away. Don't want it too heavy, otherwise you'll be up half the night with a full stomach.

Now I make sure I stick to a calorie limit of about 1400 calories a day of food.

I can't eat any fruit after finding out I'm allergic to fructose, which is in tomatoes as well! I tend to pile my dinner plate with extra meat though just to make up for it!

On my cheat day, I do go overboard with the fructose foods, thus my skin boils like mad at night.

Last edited by Phoenix07; 19-04-12 at 06:49 PM.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:48 PM   #16
Assassin
Kloppite
 
Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix06 View Post
I chopped up a banana, glass of milk and a mug of oats into a blender and whisked away. Don't want it too heavy, otherwise you'll be up half the night with a full stomach.

Now I make sure I stick to a calorie limit of about 14000 calories a day of food.

I can't eat any fruit after finding out I'm allergic to fructose, which is in tomatoes as well! I tend to pile my dinner plate with extra meat though just to make up for it!

On my cheat day, I do go overboard with the fructose foods, thus my skin boils like mad at night.
and
__________________
Sillyness in motion
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:33 PM   #17
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31,504
That's her in her avatar, Baitman.

That's what CJ told me anyway
__________________
Alive and kicking
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:35 PM   #18
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!
 
Craig_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 63,853
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:42 PM   #19
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert Dentressangle View Post
That's her in her avatar, Baitman.

That's what CJ told me anyway
nah, thats Pauleeeene, but without her pens

__________________
Champions of Europe and the World. removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:43 PM   #20
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21,647
does brown rice taste like shit?
__________________
Champions of Europe and the World. removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 19-04-12, 06:47 PM   #21
Assassin
Kloppite
 
Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
does brown rice taste like shit?
If you can tell me what shit tastes like, it would help me to answer
__________________
Sillyness in motion
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:58 PM   #22
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
If you can tell me what shit tastes like, it would help me to answer
its not very nice, but maybe you have to develop a taste for it

i have tried brown rice, but it just tasted like wood shavings [im guessing, ok].
__________________
Champions of Europe and the World. removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:49 PM   #23
Phoenix07
The Normal One
 
Phoenix07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
does brown rice taste like shit?
It tastes nutty (not in a cock kind of way).
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 06:56 PM   #24
Suarez
Hodgsoned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,758
Carbs for breakfast and lunch and not again.

Eat lots of protein and green veg.

Do heavy work on legs and shoulders as this will increase testosterone levels and make you more up for it and you'll get bigger quicker results.

You can do a cracking workout with minimal equipment and time, I do a 35 minute strength routine using my bodyweight and a powertower and use a treadmill for 20 minutes thats it.
Suarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 07:06 PM   #25
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,891
Diet tips?

EAT LESS!!!!

simples
__________________
absolute fucking monsters of mentality
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 07:26 PM   #26
Shanks
Shankly
 
Shanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,167
I used Alli and Diet Whey shakes.. Went from 13st 3lb to 12st 1lb in 4 weeks.

Probably not the most healthiest of ways but it worked.. Ran about 6 miles a week and stopped the wine and lager..
Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 10:26 PM   #27
Alex
Administrator
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,153
App for most smartphones and it's a website called 'My Fitness Pal' it helped me lose 2st in about 8 weeks. It just helps you calorie control and sets you daily limits to reach your goal in the desired time. It's brilliant.
__________________
*Except Michael, who died.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 02:29 PM   #28
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 128,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
App for most smartphones and it's a website called 'My Fitness Pal' it helped me lose 2st in about 8 weeks. It just helps you calorie control and sets you daily limits to reach your goal in the desired time. It's brilliant.
Just downloaded.

I should be about 12 stone I reckon but I'm the heaviest I've ever been (14 st) and my gut is expanding at a frightening rate of knots. If I could lose 2st in 8 weeks I'd be ecstatic.

I have never in my entire life considered calorie intake, nor paid any attention to the nutritional info of anything I eat. Ever. Always been a naturally (very) skinny lad, but now I'm 34 and lead an entirely sedentary lifestyle (working from home is the worst for putting on weight) I'm fucking piling it on.

Is that all you did? Input your calorie intake into this app thing and make sure you didn't go over every day?

Today I've eaten a bowl of cereal, two chocolate bars and three cheese & pickle butties. Apparently I have 200 calories left for the day. No idea what that means but it doesn't sound very much
__________________
I am a member of Supergrass now
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 02:42 PM   #29
Alex
Administrator
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just downloaded.

I should be about 12 stone I reckon but I'm the heaviest I've ever been (14 st) and my gut is expanding at a frightening rate of knots. If I could lose 2st in 8 weeks I'd be ecstatic.

I have never in my entire life considered calorie intake, nor paid any attention to the nutritional info of anything I eat. Ever. Always been a naturally (very) skinny lad, but now I'm 34 and lead an entirely sedentary lifestyle (working from home is the worst for putting on weight) I'm fucking piling it on.

Is that all you did? Input your calorie intake into this app thing and make sure you didn't go over every day?

Today I've eaten a bowl of cereal, two chocolate bars and three cheese & pickle butties. Apparently I have 200 calories left for the day. No idea what that means but it doesn't sound very much
Basically yeah.

I think the 2 Chocolate bars, and the cheese in the sandwiches have something to do with it. Bread is/was a killer for me.

It basically forced me to change my eating habits. I used to sit at home and just eat. It became a habit, just picking shit up to eat. I slipped back into it. Last year I was 15st, now im nearer 18st. My fighting weight is somewhere around 14st. Thats where I feel most happy.


Ohh, and 200 calories is a tin of soup and a slice of dry brown bread
__________________
*Except Michael, who died.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 02:46 PM   #30
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 128,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Basically yeah.

I think the 2 Chocolate bars, and the cheese in the sandwiches have something to do with it. Bread is/was a killer for me.

It basically forced me to change my eating habits. I used to sit at home and just eat. It became a habit, just picking shit up to eat. I slipped back into it. Last year I was 15st, now im nearer 18st. My fighting weight is somewhere around 14st. Thats where I feel most happy.


Ohh, and 200 calories is a tin of soup and a slice of dry brown bread
Fuck!

What about pasta and a sauce (got some Lloyd Grossman pasta sauces in )?

My weight gain has definitely been a product of working at home - i.e. the furthest I have to walk is coming down the stairs, then sitting on my arse all day, slowly stuffing my face with biscuits and shit, sandwiches or pitta bread every single day etc.

So did you aim to be way under the recommended calorie intake? Or just make sure you never went over?
__________________
I am a member of Supergrass now
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 02:53 PM   #31
Alex
Administrator
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Fuck!

What about pasta and a sauce (got some Lloyd Grossman pasta sauces in )?

My weight gain has definitely been a product of working at home - i.e. the furthest I have to walk is coming down the stairs, then sitting on my arse all day, slowly stuffing my face with biscuits and shit, sandwiches or pitta bread every single day etc.

So did you aim to be way under the recommended calorie intake? Or just make sure you never went over?
You can set your limits on the app. I just tried to get to the limit every day. It did get silly sometimes. Me eating and drinking so I could make it. But as long as you keep to the average over the week you should be fine.

It might not work for all though.

Think youll stick to it?
__________________
*Except Michael, who died.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 10:15 AM   #32
lickedlollipop
Shankly
 
lickedlollipop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,922
fuck diet.

running 4 times a week, and no food after 7pm.

i lost 55 lbs.
lickedlollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 01:39 PM   #33
kris90210
Shankly
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickedlollipop View Post
fuck diet.

running 4 times a week, and no food after 7pm.

i lost 55 lbs.
That's bad advice, sorry mate.

Any PT will tell you that diet is just as, if not more, important than excercise. You obviously hit the excercise hard, but you would have seen even better results if you had been eating the right things.

Most of the fundementals have already been covered, but here's a couple more:

* Buy a Brita filter water jug and drink shit loads. Your piss should be clear. Keep drinking water until it is, then enough to maintain it. I've got one of these and it's fantastic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRITA-Marell...5270804&sr=8-2

* Take fish oil as a supplement. I know a bloke who plays rugby semi-professionaly and he says this is the best one you can get:
http://www.alimentnutrition.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=123

I take that and it's awesome. Doesn't taste fishy at all either.

* Try and pack as much veg into your food as you can. Make shit loads in one go then freeze it. I make huge batches of chilli. I put loads of different beans in there, different vegetables in there. I end up with a massive pot. Then use freezer bags to freeze portions of it. Makes it so quick and easy to prepare something nutritious.

* They reckon you should try to phase caffeine out of your diet. That's never going to happen for me, but it's good to be aware of. The PT I know reckons caffeine screws with your adrenal glans which can fuck up the breakdown of fat for energy.
__________________
K ris90210
kris90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 11:19 AM   #34
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
Anyone got any??

Think we should have a thread to share our experiences/tips with other members.

I'll start. I started running a couple of months ago and I am loving it. Up to 5k now and doing the 5k in Liverpool on May 5th for The Stroke Association. Started out doing interval training. Run 1 min, walk 2 and built it up like that. Struggled to walk for a minute at first and now I can run 40! Out tonight and I can't wait. Running makes me feel great, have lost a dress size, toned up and got fitter.

What's everyone else been doing?

Oh, and today I bought a Shake Weight. You know those things that make you look like you're giving someone a wank? Bingos will soon be history. Alex Gerrard said so.
Years ago, my wife and I would go through phases of running to keep fit every now and again, and she hated it. Really hated it.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago, she decided to go on her own and she now absolutely loves it. She's stuck at it ever since, 2 or 3 times a week. She did a 10K run about 3 years ago in about 52 mins.

I rarely join her these days as I find it a bit boring (I did a lot of running / training when I was at school to the point I went from loving to hating it).

I play football instead, so that keeps me fit.

Anyway, it's good that you've found something you enjoy doing. 5K after just a couple of months is pretty good. And it's well cheap too, apart from the trainers. My only tip, don't skimp on the trainers, or let them get too worn out. They can cause you injuries if they are not right for you.
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 12:18 PM   #35
Red_hot
Paisley
 
Red_hot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
does brown rice taste like shit?
No! I much prefer it to white rice. However, I'm not fussed on wholewheat pasta but I eat it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Years ago, my wife and I would go through phases of running to keep fit every now and again, and she hated it. Really hated it.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago, she decided to go on her own and she now absolutely loves it. She's stuck at it ever since, 2 or 3 times a week. She did a 10K run about 3 years ago in about 52 mins.

I rarely join her these days as I find it a bit boring (I did a lot of running / training when I was at school to the point I went from loving to hating it).

I play football instead, so that keeps me fit.

Anyway, it's good that you've found something you enjoy doing. 5K after just a couple of months is pretty good. And it's well cheap too, apart from the trainers. My only tip, don't skimp on the trainers, or let them get too worn out. They can cause you injuries if they are not right for you.
Yeah, getting myself a good pair in June when I go to America cos they're cheaper there.
__________________
RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFA! RAFAEL! RAFAEL BENITEZ!
Red_hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 12:23 PM   #36
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_hot View Post
No! I much prefer it to white rice. However, I'm not fussed on wholewheat pasta but I eat it anyway.



Yeah, getting myself a good pair in June when I go to America cos they're cheaper there.
As long as you are comfortable, that is the main thing.

I personally think it might be worth paying the extra, going to a specialist running shop and having them film / analyse your running style. They then recomend a few different pairs based on how you run. So for example, extra support on one side, or a lighter pair, or whatever.

After that, you know which ones are best for you and you can order them cheaper online and stuff.
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 01:56 PM   #37
Rowan
Shankly
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
As long as you are comfortable, that is the main thing.

I personally think it might be worth paying the extra, going to a specialist running shop and having them film / analyse your running style. They then recomend a few different pairs based on how you run. So for example, extra support on one side, or a lighter pair, or whatever.

After that, you know which ones are best for you and you can order them cheaper online and stuff.
I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that people should bin all of this over pronate, under pronate shizzle and just learn to front or mid step strike instead. Less injury risk and (if you've knackered knees like myself) it means you can still put in a risk free 40-50 miles a week.

Also running on treadmills is the devil, man. The impact is horrific and after a while you get pushed onto your heels (if you're sticking hill climbs in there too). Use the gym for crosstraining and weight work and hit the streets for your running kicks

And the best running book ever, ever EVER is Born to Run by Christopher McDougal. Everyone with any ambition of running semi-seriously should read this book. It's amazing!
__________________
A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 02:05 PM   #38
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that people should bin all of this over pronate, under pronate shizzle and just learn to front or mid step strike instead. Less injury risk and (if you've knackered knees like myself) it means you can still put in a risk free 40-50 miles a week.

Also running on treadmills is the devil, man. The impact is horrific and after a while you get pushed onto your heels (if you're sticking hill climbs in there too). Use the gym for crosstraining and weight work and hit the streets for your running kicks

And the best running book ever, ever EVER is Born to Run by Christopher McDougal. Everyone with any ambition of running semi-seriously should read this book. It's amazing!
What is that?
__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 07:59 PM   #39
ChesterDave
Paisley
 
ChesterDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23,247
I need to lose beer gut. When I went to uni I weighed 9 stone and had a 28 inch waist. In ym late 20's now and have a 32 inch waist and weigh 11 stone. Walking 3-4 miles a day isnt cutting it so need to step up with some proper training.
__________________
0 points to go!
Champions!
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 08:42 PM   #40
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
I need to lose beer gut. When I went to uni I weighed 9 stone and had a 28 inch waist. In ym late 20's now and have a 32 inch waist and weigh 11 stone. Walking 3-4 miles a day isnt cutting it so need to step up with some proper training.
Are you a midget?
__________________
absolute fucking monsters of mentality
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > General > General Sports

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.