It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 12-06-19, 05:49 PM   #241
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I know what you mean but... I think he has to find out otherwise he will always wonder. At different times we’ve all thought Roger and Rafa should retire also and they are still performing at the top level.

He’s still young so what else is he going to do?

Speaking to the coaches I know and they reckon with the surgery he should be able to play at a very high level, it’s just whether he can play at that absolute elite level that separates the champs from the also rans again.

The other thing is that outside of the big three there is no one winning Slams. The last was Andy, which is ridiculous. So he must feel that if he can get competitive he might have a shout.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-19, 10:09 AM   #242
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

My daughter been playing adult first team tennis the last few weeks, shes only 14

Its doubles matches (ladies and mixed)

She played some second team matches last year and again this year but was really thrown in at the deepend a few weeks back

She predominantly plays U16 Junior tennis in the local league (this is singles), so far this season shes unbeaten in 6 matches and has only dropped 3 games

So the club have got her to play regular second team tennis (all the local leagues are doubles) which is a huge step up and its an even bigger step up to the first team

Really pleased for her shes not looked out of place despite playing people in their 20's & 30's (or 40's), but the higher up the league you go the more nous the players have
Old 20-06-19, 09:17 PM   #243
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Sounds amazing. Is she under the tutelage of the LTA? What is the ambition?

—-

Amazing to see Andy Murray on court tonight. Though it was only doubles he looked pretty mobile. Rusty first set, but his sharpness and competitive spirit were returning big time in the second set.

It’s amazing thinking back now how he used to limp and trundle along the back of the court between points and here looked pretty sprightly. He was performing to a high level, reaching 1/4’s semis and finals with the injury so he must have a chance of doing well in singles... I guess we are soon to find out.
Old 21-06-19, 09:57 AM   #244
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Sounds amazing. Is she under the tutelage of the LTA? What is the ambition?

ó-

Amazing to see Andy Murray on court tonight. Though it was only doubles he looked pretty mobile. Rusty first set, but his sharpness and competitive spirit were returning big time in the second set.

Itís amazing thinking back now how he used to limp and trundle along the back of the court between points and here looked pretty sprightly. He was performing to a high level, reaching 1/4ís semis and finals with the injury so he must have a chance of doing well in singles... I guess we are soon to find out.
No, shes nowhere near good enough for LTA county standard

I have never had any amibition for her other than plsying club tennis

Reality is if we had any ambition like that she would have been under LTA County coaches from the age of about 5 or 6
Old 21-06-19, 10:11 AM   #245
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
No, shes nowhere near good enough for LTA county standard

I have never had any amibition for her other than plsying club tennis

Reality is if we had any ambition like that she would have been under LTA County coaches from the age of about 5 or 6

A guy I know who coaches has a seven year old son who is on the LTA radar.

Good that she is enjoying it though. It is a fantastic game to play. How about yourself how are injuries these days?
Old 21-06-19, 10:42 AM   #246
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:

Good that she is enjoying it though. It is a fantastic game to play. How about yourself how are injuries these days?
Injury is fine now, fully recovered.

Have had the odd hit here and there but have found a bit of a mental block when it comes to chasing stuff down (that use to be something I was good at)

Its weird because when I was playing football never had any issues coming back after injuries, maybe old age has finally caught up to me
Old 21-06-19, 10:54 AM   #247
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:

I'm always a bit sceptical about how good kids actually are in the grand scheme of things

The other week I happened to be watching a doubles match and there was a lady (she turned out to be only 16 year old girl) who was incredibly good, she was playing doubles and competing in a semi final that ultimately leads to a final match at one of the prestige events Liverpool Tennis Club

Was talking to someone after this and he just dismissed her as an average player nowhere near the best in the county

Its when you think that beyond county level is national level and beyond that is the junior tour

The difference in levels are massive
Old 21-06-19, 11:25 AM   #248
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah, my kids both play and I am happy that they just enjoy themselves. You can sense a palpable change when a parent is pushing there kids for greatness and as you say the standards to be absolute elite level are ridiculous.
Old 21-06-19, 11:30 AM   #249
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
Injury is fine now, fully recovered.

Have had the odd hit here and there but have found a bit of a mental block when it comes to chasing stuff down (that use to be something I was good at)

Its weird because when I was playing football never had any issues coming back after injuries, maybe old age has finally caught up to me
Iím injury free also. Tennis is unforgiving and you really need full fitness to enjoy it. I threw my back out about 2 months ago just totally innocuous. Definitely think age is an issue, but so is preparation I need to do a lot of stretching.

Iím actually playing matches for the first time ever, itís quite good fun. Get enough nerves to keep it interesting.

Tennis is so pugilistic. Itís amazing how much of the game is played in your head. I think playing matches is improving my standard though - and Iím enjoying it. Started to serve properly for the first time as opposed to just trying to fire aces down, which is low percentage.
Old 23-06-19, 08:02 PM   #250
RichC
Meh

Not a bad first effort from Murray! Wins the doubles with Lopez at Queens
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 08:08 PM   #251
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Great to see him back on court

He looks as happy as I’ve ever seen him on court, clearly savouring his return.

He must be in reasonable shape did a full length dive volley return. No way you are doing that with any injury doubts.

It’s going to be fascinating watching his progress. Seems to be targeting a late 2019 return to singles.

Absolutely stellar week from Lopez. He has played so much tennis over the last 48 hours. 2 singles matches and 2 and a bit doubles.
Old 01-07-19, 08:40 PM   #252
rodo
Shankly

venus beat by a 15 year old
Old 01-07-19, 09:02 PM   #253
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
venus beat by a 15 year old
Not any 15 year old. She has been tipped to become the next star for some time. She's an exceptional talent.

Last edited by Fredo; 01-07-19 at 09:04 PM.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 09:02 PM   #254
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Dupe
Old 01-07-19, 09:04 PM   #255
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Dupe
ah either way she beat VENUS
Old 02-07-19, 12:06 AM   #256
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Not any 15 year old. She has been tipped to become the next star for some time. She's an exceptional talent.
Is this Lec's daughter?
Red_Polo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 09:12 PM   #257
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Andy and Serena in the mixed dubs.

BOX OFFICE

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48837343
Old 04-07-19, 02:03 PM   #258
Yozza
Shankly

Wimbledon 2019: Bernard Tomic fined for not meeting 'professional standards'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48868080

Australia's Bernard Tomic has been fined his full Wimbledon prize money of £45,000 for not meeting the "required professional standard" during his 58-minute first-round defeat by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Tomic lost 6-2 6-1 6-4 in the shortest men's match at SW19 since 2004.

Asked afterwards if he thought he might be fined, Tomic said: "What for?"

The 26-year-old was also fined two years ago for his conduct during a first-round loss to Mischa Zverev.

Former Wimbledon semi-finalist Tsonga, 34, served 21 aces as Tomic's performance was described in commentary as "embarrassing" and "distasteful".

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 04:53 PM   #259
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Wimbledon 2019: Bernard Tomic fined for not meeting 'professional standards'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48868080

Australia's Bernard Tomic has been fined his full Wimbledon prize money of £45,000 for not meeting the "required professional standard" during his 58-minute first-round defeat by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Tomic lost 6-2 6-1 6-4 in the shortest men's match at SW19 since 2004.

Asked afterwards if he thought he might be fined, Tomic said: "What for?"

The 26-year-old was also fined two years ago for his conduct during a first-round loss to Mischa Zverev.

Former Wimbledon semi-finalist Tsonga, 34, served 21 aces as Tomic's performance was described in commentary as "embarrassing" and "distasteful".
Did you see it? Hilarious.

Old 04-07-19, 05:11 PM   #260
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He’s just in it for the basic appearance money - they should fuck him off the tour and give his spot to someone who wants it.

Kyrgios v Nadal just now.

Bit of a grudge match. I love Kyrgios, though he has similar issues to Tomic at times.

His quotes on Rafa are immense:

Quote:
"Don't doubt yourself, there are plenty of people who will do that for you. I can smell the blood when I play this dude", he wrote.

During a 'No Challenges Remaining' podcast interview published a few weeks later, Kyrgios also had this to say about the two-time Wimbledon winner: "He's my polar opposite. Literally my polar opposite. And he's super salty.

"When he wins it's fine, he won't say anything bad, he'll credit the opponent - 'he competed well today, he's a great player' - but then as soon as I beat him, it's just like 'he has no respect for me, my fans and no respect to the game'.

"I'm like 'what are you talking about? I literally played this way that I beat you the other previous times and nothing changed'."
Quote:
Asked in his post-match news conference on Tuesday, whether he had a "good relationship" with Nadal, Kyrgios said: "Uhm, not sure that me and Rafa could go down to the Dog & Fox[a pub in Wimbledon Village]and have a beer together.

"I don't know him at all. I know him as a tennis player. I just don't - no, I don't know him very well."

Asked whether he found it easier to talk to other players on tour, he added: "Yeah, 100%. That's just how it is. I get along with people, some people I don't get along with. We have a mutual respect and that's about it I think."
Old 04-07-19, 05:52 PM   #261
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Kyrgios losing his head here.
Old 04-07-19, 05:58 PM   #262
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’m watching at the gym but the sound is down.

He had a period there when he was unplayable. But seems to be talking constantly at change overs

At his best he is pretty much unplayable, he just needs focus. You sense he is 50% thinking about game 50% about what he is going to do this evening.

If he had Rafas attitude and work ethic he’d win everything going.

Serving for the second set now. He keeps throwing cheeky under arm serves in
Old 04-07-19, 05:58 PM   #263
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

So much needle in this

Come on Kyrgios you nutter.
Old 04-07-19, 05:59 PM   #264
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He was a break up 2nd set and serving 0-30 down and Nadal taking an absolute eternity as usual to be ready at the other side. Kyrgios tosses it up and the umpire tells him to stop cos Nadal still ain't ready. He loses to love, has a huge row with the ump during the break and then loses it ranting to himself - he shouted "ARE WE OK TO USE NEW BALLS?" - and got a code violation at the start of the next game. Next rally Nadal is at the net and NK literally tries to take his head off on purpose with a ridiculous blast straight at him when he had options to pass. Just tried to kill him instead. So much fucking needle.
Old 04-07-19, 06:02 PM   #265
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

During the row the umpire said "I'll do whatever I like" and Kyrgios went ""Wow! You've got so much power up there. Look at you! Look at you"
Old 04-07-19, 06:04 PM   #266
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Excellent

He’s fucking great, the rest of them are so media trained and boring. When Murray properly retires I’m team Kyrgios for sure.

If he played Rafa every match he’d be world no 1 O reckon.
Old 04-07-19, 06:09 PM   #267
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Did you see his rant to the umpire at Queens?

He finished it off with “...and you look ridiculous in that hat, it’s not even sunny”.

Got fined.
Old 04-07-19, 06:12 PM   #268
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Just said to the umpire "you're a disgrace"
Old 04-07-19, 06:14 PM   #269
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Did you see his rant to the umpire at Queens?

He finished it off with ď...and you look ridiculous in that hat, itís not even sunnyĒ.

Got fined.
Old 04-07-19, 06:33 PM   #270
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He's got him. Absolutely leathered one straight at Nadal haha. Rattled him too, Nadal double faulted the next point.
Old 04-07-19, 06:39 PM   #271
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is fucking great. Supposed to be walking the dog but he can wait til this is over.
Old 04-07-19, 07:30 PM   #272
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Rafa’s OCD against Kyrgios’s mad unpredictability.

They genuinely are about as different a set of personalities as you could hope to find.
Old 04-07-19, 07:56 PM   #273
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Rafa just too professional for Kyrgios.

If. If. If Kyrgios could play to that level more often he’d get better. He just needs the professionalism and smarts the grit and refusal to lose of the guy on the other side of the net.
Old 04-07-19, 08:55 PM   #274
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He’s so honest. He’s right as well, on most of this.

Old 04-07-19, 08:58 PM   #275
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Apparently he was in the pub until gone 11 last night.

I’d say that’s the bit he might need to alter if he wants a slam.
Old 04-07-19, 09:13 PM   #276
RichC
Meh

He needs to grow up.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 09:44 PM   #277
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He seems totally aware of his strengths and weaknesses though.

His issues are that he has the urges of a typical 23 year old, which will ultimately not allow him to compete for the top prizes in a pro sports environment.

I hope he decides to maximise his talent because he is a phenomena, he has great touch but massive power - plus he hit a 143mph serve today. What he lacks is because of his lack of prep. He doesn’t put enough time in in practice. He looked knackered by the end of the third set.

He is literally the only player in the top 100 who doesn’t have a coach. He doesn’t have a training regime, just trains when he wants. If he had professionalism and desire he’d have the lot.
Old 05-07-19, 01:30 PM   #278
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The best bits from Kyrgios press conference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/48875803
Old 05-07-19, 01:57 PM   #279
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
The best bits from Kyrgios press conference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/48875803
He's fucking hilarious.

When he's 30 he'll probably be a bit embarrassed by his surliness, but it's absolute box office.
Old 05-07-19, 03:11 PM   #280
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
He's fucking hilarious.

When he's 30 he'll probably be a bit embarrassed by his surliness, but it's absolute box office.

We've got soooo used to the overly sanitised media friendly sports star, that the guy who tells it like it is seems to be almost alien.

Even the most straight forward question is asked with a trembling voice.

He will undoubtedly change, and you do wonder if he will have any regrets, but for now he is living the 24 year olds dream. Happy to be competitive not arsed about winning titles.

The media have jumped on the quote that he meant to hit Rafa, but that is because hitting it at Rafa is the one shot he is going to struggle to get back. As Kyrgios says himself, he's got good hands. Plus he got his racquet on it - so I dont see the fuss. No way should he apologise.

est1892 > General > General Sports