It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 08-01-15, 01:26 PM   #81
Tee
El Pistolero

We should bring Kevin Nolan home, he would fit right into our vision. Mark Noble is not a bad shout either, and if we sell Raheem for £50m we can have the pick of Scott Sinclair, Dyer or Routledge. Happy days are coming!
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 08-01-15, 01:26 PM   #82
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Would see Milner as being a good addition as a quality squad player, but would he want to swap one club for another if being a squad player was what was on offer?

A squad player at City has a very realistic chance of silverware, whereas with us that chance is much lower.

He is a very useful player who can slot easily into a number of roles and do well in them, but we would still need to be bringing in some real quality for the midfield (not to mention in attack and defence) even if we got Milner and not trying to pass Milner off as that quality signing.

Would have a similar opinion with regards to Delph. I think he is a lesser player than Milner, but still good enough to be an effective squad player.
Old 08-01-15, 01:30 PM   #83
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

We still squad building are we
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:42 PM   #84
Helios Creed
Est's Streaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'd take him. Unfashionable and uninspiring but he's a good player and would improve us.
Sadly, I agree. I didn't want him years back, nor in 2011 and even now I'm amazed how much of a contribution he makes at City, so if he's cheap, then yeah.

But the main thing is that if we only buy one player this window, we need a fecking good striker - we have a strong enough midfield.

We lost our no 1 striker from last year, our new no 1 has been out long term and thanks to bad choices/cock ups in the summer, we only have a no 3 and two no 4s available and they've been so bad we're not playing any of them!

We need a no.2 striker. That is the shopping list. Get him and then maybe look at defenders or keepers, but focus on a striker first or we'll end up like last summer and miss out, but bring in two more attacking midfielders...
Helios Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:44 PM   #85
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I can't see us buying anyone bar Milner and possibly Defoe on loan.

Hate to say it but I think if this happens then it's a sure sign that the owners will want rid of Rodgers come the summer.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:50 PM   #86
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Well we are losing a number of squad player level players in Johnson, Gerrard, and Suso. We also have other squad player level players like Lucas, Allen, Borini and a few others who may be moved on in this window or the summer window. So yes I do reckon we will need some squad players along with the very obvious need for genuine first teamers.
Old 08-01-15, 01:55 PM   #87
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
I can't see us buying anyone bar Milner and possibly Defoe on loan.

Hate to say it but I think if this happens then it's a sure sign that the owners will want rid of Rodgers come the summer.
We are not signing Defoe, Slinky, let it go.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:55 PM   #88
kubrickscube
Fagan

Decent player - but doesn't he do exactly what Henderson does- (who is younger and possibly has more potential?) Do we need that?
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:57 PM   #89
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
Decent player - but doesn't he do exactly what Henderson does- (who is younger and possibly has more potential?) Do we need that?
Well if we had it last year, we quite possibly could have won the league.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:57 PM   #90
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
If Milner is top of our wanted list then I should seriously consider giving up on supporting this club as their ambitions do not match mine. Different wavelengths. Either that or the transfer committee can fuck off.

I rate Milner as much as the next guy (good but not great) and understand what he brings to the team but there's no fucking chance he should be taking up so much head space with this fucking committee when there's so much talent out there to be targeted.
Amazing
Old 08-01-15, 02:05 PM   #91
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It's a sign off how far we have fallen in our transfer ambitions that I see Milner as a good signing.

There are posts in here with me ripping him as a potential signing back in his Villa days.

Totally uninspiring but a solid addition.

Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 02:09 PM   #92
Patricks_Berger
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
He would get in our best 11 this year! Plays most weeks for citeh!

And this too:

Patricks_Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 02:47 PM   #93
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Amazing
We've been royally fucked over by a bunch of people who are not doing their job very well. Milner is a safe signing. You know what you'll get. I'm not clambering at the prospect of seeing him in our starting line-up next season.

Even if he is a target, after the shit that's been served up this season, it's a name I don't want to see being linked to us. At least the club could have some respect and stop fucking dragging us all down to their level of expectation. How else can you explain the summer signings? Did they really expect to challenge for the league when so many players need to find their feet? (bar Lallana, who is awesome).

Sign Milner, fine, but just do it in the Summer because I don't want to hear about it now. I need to be inspired and I know I'm not the only one.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 03:25 PM   #94
peekay
Dr.

Milner will be a very good asset in a highly creative team like Man City or last years Liverpool. A very intelligent player who complements and balances players like Silva, Aguero. Similar to how Kuyt is valuable for the Dutch.

Given that nowadays we are struggling to create chances, I dont think he will do well.
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 03:35 PM   #95
Red Wino
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricks_Berger View Post
Apart from being English and on a free- where are the similarities?
1) Lack of ambition by the club.

2) My total lack of enthusiasm.

3) Sign on cheap, pay huge bucks, maybe contribute a little.

I didn't say he's Cole's fucking doppelganger football- or otherwise.
Red Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 03:44 PM   #96
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
I'd take him. Unfashionable and uninspiring but he's a good player and would improve us.
Old 08-01-15, 04:23 PM   #97
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
He's a winner...
so would joe allen be if he was at city.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 04:42 PM   #98
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
That's exactly what everyone said about Lambert.

If he signs I'd want everyone associated with the transfer sacked.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 05:12 PM   #99
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
That's exactly what everyone said about Lambert.

If he signs I'd want everyone associated with the transfer sacked.
Milner has been a better player at a bigger team for a longer period than Lambert had been a decent PL player. He would also fit our style of play.
Old 08-01-15, 05:17 PM   #100
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
Milner has been a better player at a bigger team for a longer period than Lambert had been a decent PL player. He would also fit our style of play.

Much more established quality than Lambert.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 08-01-15, 05:21 PM   #101
gentingfrmhell
Benitez

Disappointing
gentingfrmhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 05:23 PM   #102
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

I'd be delighted if we convinced Milner to sign.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 05:23 PM   #103
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Underrated player. When we played them at Anfield last season, it was Milner coming on that turned it in their favour and allowed them to get back into the game. He's a good, steady player that would be a good addition to any squad, especially for free.

He's better than Joe Allen too, so thats an upgrade.
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 05:33 PM   #104
Maxiedge
Shankly

Does he play central midfield though? He's plays in similar positions to sterling, lallana and coutinho. Not the one area of the pitch I'm worried about.

If we re going to sign a CM ( which we have to IMO) we need to get someone alot cuter than Milner.

But I guess he could be backup to the midfielder which we inevitably won't sign.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 05:37 PM   #105
Mattshark
Still Blames Thatcher

Quote:
Mattshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 06:06 PM   #106
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

I'm not going to be shy to say I told you so when he is turd.
Old 08-01-15, 06:09 PM   #107
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Haha. The City fans I know all really want him to stay.
Old 08-01-15, 06:10 PM   #108
badpiggy
Paisley

Milner looked good to me whenever I saw him. Loads of energy. Definitely would be a good addition. He plays for a team that's way better than us. We're not exactly a step up in class that he won't make ffs.
Old 08-01-15, 06:28 PM   #109
McDermotX
Paisley

Relentlessly average player, albeit one with experience as he's been around the PL for a long time, who's being damned with faint praise over the last number of seasons. The best thing I can say about him is that he runs and runs, but he's very much a player that looks better with quality players around him, which is evident from his stint at City, rather than one who imposes quality on a game.

Average quality, average stats through his career...............who'd have thunk it ? Only way you'd want him is for his average versatility in the top half as a place in the squad.
Not our squad mind you.
Old 08-01-15, 06:55 PM   #110
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Signing 30 year old water carriers will cement our place in mid table mediocrity.
Old 08-01-15, 06:59 PM   #111
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Second rate players who should be squaddies isn't something we are lacking in. Better players than Milner who will improve our first team is where it's at.
Old 08-01-15, 07:03 PM   #112
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
hilarious

I knew when I posted that I was leaving myself open to some wisecracks but I'm happy to lay it on the line and say this transfer committee business is an absolute shambles. They're fucking taking the piss out of you and me and the aspirations we have for this club. The sooner this mess is sorted out, the better.
Lay what on the line??? Ya douche.....

How are they taking the piss??? Do you really think that LFC should be signing Messi, Aguero et al???

Also, questioning your support of the club is crazy as well..... you're not a true fan in my opinion if you are questioning that. You are a "member" or a "customer"......

In reality, if we were to sign Milner and Delph.....and maybe someone like Vlaar as well - then we don't spunk £50m on the likes of the Southampton trio and hopefully we end up having cash to purchase one genuine top class addition. A Draxler or a Reus.

Even if we don't sign a potential worldie next year, then having Milner in midfield would only help the likes of Coutinho, Sterling, Origi, Sturridge and Markovic further up the pitch....
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 07:12 PM   #113
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Lay what on the line??? Ya douche.....

How are they taking the piss??? Do you really think that LFC should be signing Messi, Aguero et al???

Also, questioning your support of the club is crazy as well..... you're not a true fan in my opinion if you are questioning that. You are a "member" or a "customer"......

In reality, if we were to sign Milner and Delph.....and maybe someone like Vlaar as well - then we don't spunk £50m on the likes of the Southampton trio and hopefully we end up having cash to purchase one genuine top class addition. A Draxler or a Reus.

Even if we don't sign a potential worldie next year, then having Milner in midfield would only help the likes of Coutinho, Sterling, Origi, Sturridge and Markovic further up the pitch....
Are you thinking of him playing for us as a winger, wing back or cm?
Old 08-01-15, 08:03 PM   #114
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Second rate players who should be squaddies isn't something we are lacking in. Better players than Milner who will improve our first team is where it's at.
Our Achilles heel for what seems like forever.
Old 08-01-15, 08:05 PM   #115
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Would have been a good squad addition last year, coming in as a solution on the other hand.. Scary.
Old 08-01-15, 08:37 PM   #116
Keyser Soze
Benitez

Milner and Delph are we Aston Villa in disguise
Old 08-01-15, 09:19 PM   #117
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
so would joe allen be if he was at city.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:32 PM   #118
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

FSG seem to slowly but surely lowering the quality of the squad. Big earners are being moved on and being replaced with midtable squad players on average wages. FSG just won't pay the wages. As long as that continues we won't kick on. I am also having serious doubts about the funding for the main stand.got a horrible feeling it is going to be at the cost of the squad.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:36 PM   #119
Chilts33
Houllier

He plays week in and week out for the current Prem Champions and we complain at the prospect of us signing him, get fucking real! Who the fuck do we think we are? We'll struggle to get Top 4. So funny!!!
Old 08-01-15, 09:38 PM   #120
Mattshark
Still Blames Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
FSG seem to slowly but surely lowering the quality of the squad. Big earners are being moved on and being replaced with midtable squad players on average wages. FSG just won't pay the wages. As long as that continues we won't kick on. I am also having serious doubts about the funding for the main stand.got a horrible feeling it is going to be at the cost of the squad.
Our squad hasn't gotten cheaper, we have simply bought poorly. I don't see where to blame to FSG comes from.
Mattshark is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC