It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 16-03-19, 10:51 PM   #3561
Cormack74
Shankly

Austin Healey always goes for the sensational. When he's commentating on BT sport he often tries to second guess refereeing decisions, mostly wrongly.

I think in the autumn Farrell was lucky to get away with the shoulder charge on the Saffer. But today it was exactly as the ref / TMO called it - he originally started to put his arms out then turned away to protect himself. A yellow would have been harsh, a red utterly ridiculous.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 12:32 AM   #3562
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Taken in isolation, I think he is lucky. You see him calculate the hit, he sizes up Graham’s then goes in with no attempt to wrap his arms.

He was lucky. I’ve seen reds for the same thing at least three times this season - Danny Ciproani for Gloucester and... I forget who playing in a game for Glasgow. They are difficult calls but with Farrell you feel it is habitual.

Ultimately, if I try and rip partisanship from the game, a draw is about right. We were shite first half and England were clinical.

But for Scotland to have the heart to get to 38-31 from 31 down you have to feel we deserved the win. So much desire.

Finn Russell was unleashed second half. One of the best 40 mins you could see from a ten. His big looping pass leading to Graham’s second try. His interception try. His off loads. Incredible.

For England. I believe the issue begins with Eddie Jones. Hubris is a killer. And for sure they wrote Scotland off at HY and that Is inexcusable.

Farrell has been a massive issue in the collapses v. Wales and Scotland. Not sure captaincy suits him. And he should sack off the wanky huddles.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 05:30 AM   #3563
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Congrats to Wales.

If you're top then there's not much anyone can say other than well done for scoring the same number of tournament tries as Italy

Ireland really didn't show up - shame really that it wasn't more of a contest but in fairness to them they had the shortest turnaround which couldn't have helped.
Weíll take it. And big congrats to England for drawing at home against Scotland.
Old 17-03-19, 07:22 AM   #3564
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Warren Gatland, in his 50th and final Six Nations match in charge, becomes the first coach in Five or Six Nations history to win three Slams.

Gatland has won 43 Six Nations matches, 13 more than anyone else.
Won 86% of his games. Awesome!

Also undefeated as Lions coach. Spot on with squad and team selections (only possible criticism - he should have selected more Welsh players).

Last edited by Rigadon; 17-03-19 at 07:28 AM.
Rigadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 07:32 AM   #3565
Rigadon
Shankly

Old 17-03-19, 10:22 AM   #3566
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Well done to the Welsh. And to the first Scotland team to hold on to the Calcutta Cup after a match at Twickenham in 36 years.

Old 17-03-19, 11:18 AM   #3567
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Weíll take it. And big congrats to England for drawing at home against Scotland.

Wales have been very good and I've said so. But they aren't go to win the WC without scoring tries.

Momentum gathered for them when France threw away their lead in game 1 but if that hadn't happened I suspect they might only have had an average season.

England v Scotland showed the value of that yesterday: all England and when they eased up a bit they couldn't get it back and it was all with Scotland. If the likes of NZ get a lead they aren't going to let it go and Wales aren't going to suddenly out (try) score them.
Old 17-03-19, 11:34 AM   #3568
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Taken in isolation, I think he is lucky. You see him calculate the hit, he sizes up Grahamís then goes in with no attempt to wrap his arms.

He was lucky. Iíve seen reds for the same thing at least three times this season - Danny Ciproani for Gloucester and... I forget who playing in a game for Glasgow. They are difficult calls but with Farrell you feel it is habitual.

Ultimately, if I try and rip partisanship from the game, a draw is about right. We were shite first half and England were clinical.

But for Scotland to have the heart to get to 38-31 from 31 down you have to feel we deserved the win. So much desire.

Finn Russell was unleashed second half. One of the best 40 mins you could see from a ten. His big looping pass leading to Grahamís second try. His interception try. His off loads. Incredible.

For England. I believe the issue begins with Eddie Jones. Hubris is a killer. And for sure they wrote Scotland off at HY and that Is inexcusable.

Farrell has been a massive issue in the collapses v. Wales and Scotland. Not sure captaincy suits him. And he should sack off the wanky huddles.

You see I think taken in isolation the decision was the right one. If you look at previous games then in that case you might say there's a pattern and Farrell was lucky.

Don't forget there was initially no on field penalty so the referee and his two assistants (both International refs) thought it was ok. It was only after we had about 9 replays most of them slowed down which makes things look worse that a decision was made to penalise him at all.

Also the point of having the TMO is principally to deal with things that are clear and obvious which the ref' might have missed. The fact that we are having this discussion (and the fact that only a penalty was given) suggests it wasn't clear and obvious. Well not unless you just think I'm being partisan for the sake of it and (although I've now way of proving it) if I genuinely thought it was a sending off I would say so.

But as I said at the top; on past form the ref' might have taken Farrell's previous into account and judged it differently.
Old 17-03-19, 11:48 AM   #3569
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

Don't know if it's hubris but they clearly eased up because they thought the game was won: unforgivable at this level as you say.

I didn't see the end of match stats but after an hour they had missed 25% of their tackles; you wouldn't see that in an Under 9's game. By contrast v Ireland their gain line hits were off the charts whereas I barely saw one yesterday.

I should imagine that come the WC yesterday's shambles is going to give their opponents massive self belief that England could crumble at any point which is going to potentially make their games much harder even against perceived inferior opposition.
Old 17-03-19, 12:50 PM   #3570
Rigadon
Shankly

Wales won the Grand Slam without really getting out of second gear. All relatively comfortable. Bit of a strange 6N.

Be interesting to see the reaction (from all six nations) over the next 6 months.
Old 20-03-19, 11:38 AM   #3571
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The 'no look dummy pass' from Finn Russell here is absolute filth.

Old 20-03-19, 12:17 PM   #3572
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
It all looks suspicious to me Buzzo - wrong thread
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 12:19 PM   #3573
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
It all looks suspicious to me Buzzo - wrong thread
Finn guilty of displaying some sick skills for sure.
Old 20-03-19, 09:32 PM   #3574
Cormack74
Shankly

And played with a fractured cheek I read yesterday.

If England had known that I reckon Big Billy and co might have spent more time crashing it up the 10 channel
Old 30-03-19, 06:00 PM   #3575
Irishnev
Shankly

@Buzzo - tough game today and a combination of nous and a very rash decision by your forward late in the game won it for us. Some last passage of play......
Old 30-03-19, 08:50 PM   #3576
Irishnev
Shankly

As expected big win for Sarries and Leinster win a nail biter vs Ulster.

Saracens vs Munster
Leinster vs.....Racing/Toulouse

Looks like they might get their dream final as Sarries and Leinster look v strong.
Old 30-03-19, 10:06 PM   #3577
Cormack74
Shankly

I didn't watch the game (although I'll catch the highlights) as one of my kids was playing in a cup semi. They were well beaten although he was nominated as MoM so by no means all bad

Was it the correct result - the BBC report talks a lot about the Munster defence and less about their attack - but it's a Scotsman writing it I think and in fairness their defence is clearly a strength. No mention of rash decisions by forwards but a suggestion that Edinburgh out to have taken the three points on the occasions they were available?
Old 30-03-19, 11:35 PM   #3578
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
I didn't watch the game (although I'll catch the highlights) as one of my kids was playing in a cup semi. They were well beaten although he was nominated as MoM so by no means all bad

Was it the correct result - the BBC report talks a lot about the Munster defence and less about their attack - but it's a Scotsman writing it I think and in fairness their defence is clearly a strength. No mention of rash decisions by forwards but a suggestion that Edinburgh out to have taken the three points on the occasions they were available?
EDI had a pen with around 15 mins left to put them 6 clear, one of their forwards hit Beirne off the ball, pen reversed. Munster kicked to the corner and a few phases later Earles got a try and it was converted from the sideline.

Was really v little between the sides - a high intensity game.
Old 31-03-19, 12:19 AM   #3579
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Last edited by Buzzo; 31-03-19 at 12:25 AM.
Old 31-03-19, 12:23 AM   #3580
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah I was at the game.

Actually had no idea why that pen was reversed, need to watch the game back.

It was pivotal. A great game with both sides leaving everything on the pitch but that moment swung the game in Munsters favour having mainly been a gargantuan defensive shift from them. I think Edinburgh would have held on for the win otherwise, there really was very little in it.

It was really only at that point that the huge Munster support piped up (reckon of the 36k it was about 50/50. In terms of the game teritory and possession seemed to be heavily with Edinburgh and the Munster defence was magnificent.

Cockerill will be raging. It felt like a test match today and these games are won and lost on fine margins. Was very similar in that respect to the Sco v Ire and the Sco v Wales game. The pens were early and I must admit I was surprised we didn’t take the points. Each was about 10ms in and just outside the 22, eminently lockable and up until recently Van derbEalt had kicked something like 22 in a row.

Edinburgh need to put some wins together now to get to the Pro 14 playoff. The huge plus for Edinburgh and Scotland has been Darcy Graham - played full back today and was immense. He was playing 7’s a year or so ago and was playing for Hawick before that.

Ps. Tom English is believe it or not an Irish correspondent who works for BBC Scotland. He writes well and is typically very hard on Scottish performances (often deservedly).
Old 31-03-19, 12:24 AM   #3581
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Hope Munster beat Saracens.
Old 31-03-19, 09:08 AM   #3582
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Hope Munster beat Saracens.
So do I but I fear not - Saracens are the team to beat. Stocked with so many world class players.
Old 31-03-19, 09:11 AM   #3583
Irishnev
Shankly

Did ye see this one?

Good defence or complacency? He has moments of brilliance but he also has moments of madness (try England scored vs us)
Old 31-03-19, 10:06 AM   #3584
Cormack74
Shankly

I was surprised that game was so close - was anticipating a fairly comfortable win for Leinster.
Old 31-03-19, 10:11 AM   #3585
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

Cockerill will be raging. It felt like a test match today and these games are won and lost on fine margins.

that's top level rugby;matches shift on those moments.
Old 31-03-19, 12:39 PM   #3586
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
I was surprised that game was so close - was anticipating a fairly comfortable win for Leinster.
Derby game and Leinster ravaged by injuries - was never going to be easy.
Old 31-03-19, 02:27 PM   #3587
bonzai
Fagan

Was at the match. Ulster were outstanding. Had Leinster under the cosh for large parts of the game but experience prevailed in the end. Great learning experience for a very young Ulster team. Was talking to a few Leinster guys and they all said they felt Leinster were on the way down. I’ll be astonished if Saracens don’t win the cup.
bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-19, 03:09 PM   #3588
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Derby game and Leinster ravaged by injuries - was never going to be easy.

Watched late last night (on record) after several pints and really didn't notice who was playing and who wasn't TBH
Old 31-03-19, 03:09 PM   #3589
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzai View Post
Was at the match. Ulster were outstanding. Had Leinster under the cosh for large parts of the game but experience prevailed in the end. Great learning experience for a very young Ulster team. Was talking to a few Leinster guys and they all said they felt Leinster were on the way down. Iíll be astonished if Saracens donít win the cup.
Heard it was a belter of a game.

Sounds similar to the Edi game. Having the smarts to get across the line and claim the win is huge. I havenít seen the Stockdale incident but it sounds a shocker.

Will be interesting to see how Racing get on today. They are a massive wild card Who on their day could upset anyone.
Old 31-03-19, 07:28 PM   #3590
Cormack74
Shankly

Brilliant win for Toulouse away to Racing, on a plastic pitch playing with 14 men for an hour.
Old 31-03-19, 07:43 PM   #3591
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Brilliant win for Toulouse away to Racing, on a plastic pitch playing with 14 men for an hour.
Toulouse were brilliant (I watched about half an hour then had on in background when I watched the football).

Racing play some great stuff, but some of the offloads their forwards try in contact are ridiculous.
Old 31-03-19, 07:48 PM   #3592
Zapater
Dalglish

Clemont about to win too, punishing Northampton's errors. Good to see Nanai-Williams scoring. Superb player, really unlucky he didn't get to play for the ABs, he'd be starting at centre for most countries.

What a step from Penaud, unbelievable player, he's going to be something special. Been following him since his international debut, class.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-19, 07:50 PM   #3593
Cormack74
Shankly

Watching French teams in the CC I marvel at the fact their national team is so shit.
Old 31-03-19, 07:55 PM   #3594
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Watching French teams in the CC I marvel at the fact their national team is so shit.
Always been an anomaly. Nothing wrong with the players on an individual level either, one could argue a number of them are in the top 5 or so players in the world in their position. When they click, they're magic, unfortunately horrendous for the majority.

I know it wouldn't be a popular decision, but a foreign coach would probably be a good call. One of the Kiwi's or even an experienced campaigner like Jake White could do wonders with a French squad.
Old 31-03-19, 07:58 PM   #3595
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Always been an anomaly. Nothing wrong with the players on an individual level either, one could argue a number of them are in the top 5 or so players in the world in their position. When they click, they're magic, unfortunately horrendous for the majority.

I know it wouldn't be a popular decision, but a foreign coach would probably be a good call. One of the Kiwi's or even an experienced campaigner like Jake White could do wonders with a French squad.

Absolutely; they're the only northern hemisphere team that hasn't had one and it shows.
Old 31-03-19, 08:10 PM   #3596
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post

Yep - a decent coach and that is arguably the easiest job in world rugby. Low expectations and any form of structure and consistent team selection and the only way is up.
Old 12-04-19, 06:11 PM   #3597
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Off to see another must win for Edinburgh tonight v Ulster.

Other Rugby news Israel Folau has tweeted his way out of the RWC and his club contract. Has also outed fellow bigots such as Billy V who now has to answer for himself.

What a world
Old 12-04-19, 08:03 PM   #3598
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Other Rugby news Israel Folau has tweeted his way out of the RWC and his club contract. Has also outed fellow bigots such as Billy V who now has to answer for himself.

What a world
He's been at it for ages now, it's a pity because he's one of my favourite players to watch, but what a fucking idiot. Australian Rugby League have apparently banned him from playing for any League team in Australia in any capacity in the future too. He'll no doubt be back, but is trying his hardest to throw his career away. Religious fanatics...

With Cooper and Genia reunited Wallabies would have the potential to put a seriously good backline together. They can still do it without Folau, but you'd rather have him than not. Jack Maddocks is pretty good though, looks a natural successor.

On Super Rugby, just caught the Crusaders - Highlanders game, the Crusaders are superb. Probably the best rugby institution in the world, no idea how they keep on churning out players for decades.
Old 12-04-19, 10:50 PM   #3599
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He’s an idiot

It’s kind of amazing that he continually puts himself as a bigot and draws others out, but in terms of his career all he has to do is shut up. Shows the difference in attitudes when you can have Folau and Pockock (refuses to marry his wife until same sex marriage was legal) share a dressing room.

Edinburgh got crushed by Ulster tonight. Worst performance (without any blame on International absences etc) in a long time. 7-28. Thrashed.
Old 15-04-19, 06:19 AM   #3600
Zapater
Dalglish

Damian McKenzie out of the WC, he's done his ACL. As much as I hate the ABs, it's a loss to the tournament when players of that quality don't play.

est1892 > General > General Sports